Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Hi, I live near Blackpool: not sure where the start of the race is but the trams run right down the prom north to south and you could park somewhere near Squires Gate (south of Pleasure Beach) on the roads for free and get the tram in.  Squires Gate is the very south of Blackpool, by the dinky albeit "international" airport and 10 mins at most from the end of the M55. Some local friends of mine are doing that.  Parking might be busy for the race but traffic otherwise shouldn't be an issue.

• Options

Hi guys

did fartlek training tonight with a few friends and it was the best run I've had in ages!  The time went so quickly.  We've all arranged to do it again next week.

i've also been on the paris marathon website to try and get excited about it all again.  psyching myself up I think.

i've also decided to try and rope a few friends into running some of my long runs with me, even if they only do a few miles it will help it go a bit quicker.

i have cornwall half marathon on Sunday and it looks like it's going to be a muddy one!

thanks again for all your support

• Options

Thanks Kirsten, that sounds like a plan

• Options

I've only gone and entered the MacPerky Tri. I don't even know why I would do such a silly thing. I seem to be a bit unwell so I'm claiming diminished responsibility. Weedy are you available to give piggybacks around Scotland as well as Paris? 

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Hatter - that's why Tricky is the thread Yoda. Stuff he knows, does he.

Took the words right out of my mouth! The questions I think of, turns out someone else asks them and TD pops up with sage wisdom! The man needs to write a book or something!

Easy 5ish miles with a friend tonight. Was a nice social occassion but didn't get a chance to work on my cadence. Friday will be the day for that.

Have a tough hill session planned for tomorrow. Its known as "3 in 3". Basically there is a part of town which is much higher than the rest. There are 3 main roads up it. The idea is you run up and down each hill thrice. Could be a killer but is sure to build some leg strength!

SmellyMelly - I keep checking the site too waiting for the "Unavailable" convocation link to start working so I can print it and seal my race folder! Of course, during taper madness I'll be sure to un seal it. And reseal it. And unseal it again. JUST to make sure!

• Options

Well done Helterskelter.

Diminished Responsibility is exactly what's required.

• Options
    Matty warr - what's 'convocation'? I saw it on the website but wasn't sure what it was

Mel
  • Options

I have diminished responsibility and a poorer bank balance too......why when your ill and can't run do you enter more races?!

It looks like I won't be able to run for at least another week at least, and advised that it could take 4-6 for me to be fully recovered. image

• Options

Happy Hatter88, SmellyMelly, Mattywarr that some advice has worked for you. I am delighted to see people running happier and faster.

Interesting stats there Dannir although the article was long on analysis and short on conclusions. I think the message is very clear for marathon runners: aim for even pacing throughout the race. If through mental toughness you can achieve a slightly faster second half then first half that's great, but don't rely on that as a strategy. There is more evidence to suggest that the more you run, the better your brain is capable of dosing out energy to enable you to complete your endurance tasks.

The more experienced you are, the more miles you get under your belt, the more consistent you become at steady, even-paced running. That's certainly the conclusion from the elite racers.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi SmellyMelly - Convocation ?  It's a flock of eagles !  This created a lot of confusion last year, it's the confirmation slip which you print out and take to the Expo.  It created so much confusion that ASO emailed the confirmation slips, I'm surprised they have used the same word.

Kaz1 - the DoH is your A race so if you take it easy then you will be fully recovered. As you've said Paris is just a training run.

• Options

Kaz - I think a couple of weeks without running with the illnesses you've been suffering was to be expected. Hopefully a good couple of weeks rest will see you feeling better, but if the doctor has advised that it'll be longer before you're fully recovered it might be best to keep any training you do at an easier level to ensure you fully recover this time and don't end up making things worse.

And, yes based on this weeks grumpiness over my running I fully acknowledge it's easier to say these things that do them! image

• Options

Good to hear you're better, Eggy.

feeling a bit tired from yesterday's 16M-just waiting for the electrician then will pop out for intervals. 10x400M, I reckon. Looking forward to a bit of speed!

registered for the breakfast run the other day too, hooray! Who else is in?

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Weedy -  I didn't see your name on the Paris list. Am I being daft or have I missed something?

No, I just haven't bothered to post my number and pen. Not sure what pen I'll be starting in anyway.

glad you're running Weedy. I want to hear yours and Emmy's Call Me Maybe rendition!

• Options

KS - I'm in for the breakfast run.

• Options
    PC - wrote (see)

Hi SmellyMelly - Convocation ?  It's a flock of eagles !  This created a lot of confusion last year, it's the confirmation slip which you print out and take to the Expo.  It created so much confusion that ASO emailed the confirmation slips, I'm surprised they have used the same word.

Indeed - it struck me that all it is is an order confirmation - the equivalent of printing off your hotel reservation form and taking it to the desk to check in. 

From reading through the thread the term Convocation has many an alternative meaning though!!

• Options

Oh Kaz, that stinks, sorry image How you feeling today? Think you have to try and take what positives you can out of this. It's a big, big chance to once and for all kick these illnesses into touch so you can go into the rest of the year fighting fit and gunning for PBs.

Orbutt - Posting number is on the to-do list. Right after remembering my ASO password image

helterskelter wrote (see)

I've only gone and entered the MacPerky Tri. I don't even know why I would do such a silly thing. I seem to be a bit unwell so I'm claiming diminished responsibility. Weedy are you available to give piggybacks around Scotland as well as Paris? 

Giving a piggyback during the swim and cycle legs would be the height of foolishness

• Options

DV - Can you add me to the list too please?  

I am in Rose and bib no: 63693

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Orbutt - Posting number is on the to-do list. Right after remembering my ASO password image

Weedy - I had to reset my password because I couldn't remember. image 

I did a great 7.5km run this morning with a friend.  I am planning on running to work tomorrow (9km), and will do a 30km long run on Saturday.  I am going to try out some new gels on Saturday I haven't tried before so I will see how I go. My hubby has been pre-warned he may need to do a pick up if I am struggling LOL image  

3 weeks today we will be in London starting our European holiday..  getting a tad excited... trying to plan out my runs with the different places and loving all the research. image  Now just researching fueling options as that is one thing that is concerning me.  I know my body can do it but it's just how I do it - if i am struggling or not! 

Of course I have about 4 weeks work to do in the 13 work days I have left before we leave so I have been working like mad! I just keep telling myself I will be able to relax when I am eating croissants in Paris! LOL image

Rach image 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Uisge Jo - this will be my third Blackpool half (it was my first ever half, so I'm kind of attached to it)

It starts right outside the Hilton hotel, which is North Shore, so the South Shore and tram may be a scenic option but a bit of a trek. The traffic outside the hotel can be a bit busy as it gets near to race time but I would recommend finding the hotel on Google maps and seeing what you think is best. An hour door to door - surely not travelling from Aberdeen?image

The actual start is on a lower level in front of the hotel but Mrs O and I will be on the road level on the beach side of the road from about 10:40 - we will have the LiverStool (Red flag with a white stool on it) so should be easy to spot. It's the one in the middle of this picture

/members/images/676282/gallery/Berlin_Pre_Race_Meet_Up_small.jpg

I'll head down to the start about 10:50, as the ramp down gets a bit congested just before the start. 

Weedy image

• Options

An unusually strong run for me just now. I wasn't paying any attention to pace, just cadence, vertical oscillation and ground contact time, so very surprised to find it was 15.5km at 5.44 mins/km pace. My gold performance goal MP is an unrealistic (for me anyway) 6 mins/km! Definitely something wrong with the data given recent runs and gaps in training.  image

Ah well. I'll enjoy it for what it is! I was due a nicer run.

• Options

Hi guys

did fartlek training tonight with a few friends and it was the best run I've had in ages!  The time went so quickly.  We've all arranged to do it again next week.

i've also been on the paris marathon website to try and get excited about it all again.  psyching myself up I think.

i've also decided to try and rope a few friends into running some of my long runs with me, even if they only do a few miles it will help it go a bit quicker.

i have cornwall half marathon on Sunday and it looks like it's going to be a muddy one!

thanks again for all your support

• Options

TinkerBEL - Great running. Nothing better than a run going better than expected.

• Options

SmellyMelly - was that a 'forum burp' (a case of repeating yourself)?

Great running TinkerBEL. Sometimes it helps to just relax in a run and not worry - or in your case, concentrate on a set of mind bogglingly complex stats that you forget about your running fears - well done.

OK, just got to get over this heavy Thai lunch and the fact it is raining, to get out and do 20. Well, once this album has finished maybe. And I've done all my ironing. And that chocolate won't eat itself...

RachMinAus - think I'm getting excited for you. See you soon!!

• Options

Nope Eggy. I was due one of those methinks, otherwise I was going to give running away entirely.

TD - Now don't go getting impertinent, young man. Just remember who's going to be shoving an elbow into your hurty ar*e later today...

• Options
    TD - Now don't go getting impertinent, young man. Just remember who's going to be shoving an elbow into your hurty ar*e later today...

TinkerBel - I'm assuming you mean into the muscles of his hurty arse , otherwise it sounds as if your the reason why he has a hurty arse in the first place !!!

My legs were dead before last nights planned run , it's that stage of training , everything sore ( apart from my arse) and took over an hour to get out the front door ,thought I might manage a few miles at MP , but fought through it to complete my planned 11 miles at 8:15 pace

When can I start my taper ?
  • Options

Just given myself an 8.5 mile beasting in the form of Regents Park outer circle double lapper workout, and all I can say is that it was TOUGH trying to motivate myself to do that. That was the 6th of 8 of these workouts in my plan. A mixture of tiredness due to kid waking me up in the middle of the night, drizzly rain, month end at work and general marathon training exhaustion, made it hard to even get out the door, and only as I finished my 8th rep (of 10) as I neared completion of the 2nd lap, did I start to feel satisfied. The pace was more or less there, perhaps a little sluggish today. When I got back, someone asked me if it was worth it! Lets see after Paris. It feels like I am only doing this session because I am trying to get a pb. Why do I need to get a pb I ask?!

• Options
    Scott the Walker wrote (see)

TinkerBel - I'm assuming you mean into the muscles of his hurty arse , otherwise it sounds as if your the reason why he has a hurty arse in the first place !!!

I could say something very rude. But I'll refrain. Bein' the lay-dee wot I am, like. But to answer your question, yes, I do mean the muscles of his delightful derriere.

Well done for getting out there JB and Scott. The sheer grit you are showing despite flagging enthusiasm will serve you both well come race day. 'Course it will be worth it. But maybe not until we're all standing in Corcoran's!

• Options

Please don't stone me...I had a belter today image

20 miles with 14 at MP - the one that I think is the toughest of them all and the one I used last year to pretty accurately predict my target time.  It couldn't have gone better, I'm over the bloody moon.  And scared.  I'm waiting for something to fall off

• Options

yer_maj - Well done, brilliant running and a great confidence boost.

Scott/Jimbob - You two are flying, get this week out the way and another hard three weeks training before the taper starts.

• Options

Hi All

Sorry if you have been asked this question before but how hilly is the Paris Marathon?  I cant find an up-to-date elevation map for it and even if I did I'm not sure how exactly to read them.

I do live in a hilly area but my hill running is not up to scratch at the minute due to having a month out in late Dec/early Jan and I lost loads of fitness.  I was running 12 miles every weekend before then and had to start back at four miles due to a hip injury.  My running is slowly getting back on track and I am up to 14 miles this weekend.

I know that loads of you have run this before, what is the course like?