Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RS - I've heard a lot people who've had the same issue.

I guess I'm blind to it, mostly down to how I pace my races. In other words I never trust the Garmin. I pretty much just use it as a stop watch on the day. Being the sad individual that I am I set time goals every 5km using old fashioned mental arithmetic, so work out if I'm on track by that. I always use the course markers as a gauge of distance ran from that my pace. I know I need to hit the 5km marker at a certain time then add the next 5km time goal to the race clock and aim for that at the next marker.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I do that too eggy! Mental calcs help with distractionimage

• Options

Hi all, some advice please.  We are flying into CDG airport - what is the easiest way to travel from the airport to Paris centre ?  Also what is the best way to ge around in Paris, Metro ?

It's been a while since we were last n Paris and was wondering if I can sort out all the transport costs before we arrive or is it best to sort it when we get there.

thanks.

• Options

Radar sal - does that mean it won't record the full 26.2 ? Be a shame not to have that as a PB on garmin connect ! 

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone.. Some things to consider. Mr S will investigate for me.. He likes that sort of thing! Now I'm not going for a time I'm not as bothered.. Good to know the mile markers are there too.

• Options
    Eggy and RS - you mean your brains still work during a marathon ? Mine gives up after a few miles image

Never lost a signal but I did lose a PC

JB- the views were okay but the run was hotter than Glasgow ever is , the roads were dangerous ( one Marshall got run over ) and the water wasn't Scottish
  • Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Scott - I'm here
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Hatter - mine's has always been over 26.2!

Rich - The train RER takes you into Paris from the airport. The metrò is the best way to get around the city.

RS - I like it as a way to disract me. Also splits the race into nice 5km sections.

• Options
    Hatter 88 wrote (see)

Radar sal - does that mean it won't record the full 26.2 ? Be a shame not to have that as a PB on garmin connect ! 

Yes your GPS watches will record a full distance. There is a tunnel about 750m long around km27/28 in the race. EVERY watch loses the satellite signal there. By definition. The issue is whether the watch recalculates correctly when it refinds the satellite signals as you exit the tunnel. One year my watch ADDED 1.5km on to what I'd already run, so my average pace was way out.

I use a footpod now and that helps. But over a race as long as the marathon, a GPS watch is only claiming to be accurate +/-2%. So as Eggy says, it's unreliable if you are chasing a very specific goal. All you can do to be absolutely sure you are on pace for a target, is to have a note of timings for certain km or mile markers. Easy

• Options

Thanks TD will work out some target times by mile 

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Hatter - you can manually adjust the full distance on garmon connect once you upload and yeah what TD said.  ;)

• Options

I know everyones taper is relative to their own programme, but any advise on by howmuch  to reduce by over the first two weeks would be great thank you.image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - My way of doing it is the midweek mileage reduces by 10% each of the first two weeks, but I cut my LSR down to 14 miles in week one and then down to 10 miles in week two (that's down from 22 miles as my final big LSR).

I ran my best marathon after doing no running in week one of the taper after injuring my toe. Part of me still wonders if that was actually a good thing as it forced me to rest that week.

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Kaz1 - not tapering just yet are you? One final week for me image last few weeks I've gone from 62, 47 last week, 43 this week, 40 next

TD - really helpful advice. I have Garmin 610, in Manchester 2013 ran 26.13 and Chester 2013 26.32.  I tend to rely on average pace, as well as current pace and mile split pace to keep on track.  The current pace gives me a kick if I start to slow and I flex on the mile splits setting a max to keep to.  I was thinking about a footpod for the tunnels but these and Garmin not 100% and the advice re times seems excellent especially easier to track on 5ks (only 8 of these to worry about)!!!

My realistic target is a marginal PB to beat 3:40:32.  I figure if I can do each 5k in 26 mins this is easy to measure, 26, 52, 78, 104, 130, 156, 182, 208, plus 12 for last 2.2k = 220 (3:40).  Naturally I'll slow in last 5k and want 3:39:xx so if I can build some contingency in the first 20 miles that will help, say 3 mins overall allowing up to 1 min per mile slower then it's achievable.  My Garmin can then just ensure current pace / mile split on target.  Sound like a plan?

• Options
    Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

I started off thinking I'd aim for sub 4:30, but that was relying on a training plan that just didn't fit with a busy life,  and if I'm honest, my commitment level.  The online things say sub 4 is doable based on my HM time.  I've got my head round no target other than running my first 26.2 and hopefully enjoying it.  Then I saw your targets, RachMinAus.  I might seek you out and stalk you to a 4:29.

Whatever happens, I'm already pretty sure this won't be my last marathon,  so the target next time will be more straightforward! 

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

So a target average pace of 8:23 could suddenly become 8:25 if you rely on your Garmin because you could end up running 26.32 instead of 26.22 (just by not following the blue line never mind the tunnels), worked in my favour in Manchester.  By doing in 5ks also takes pressure off in first couple of miles.  What a good idea.  Just need those tattoos now and to converts mins into hours ....  26, 52, 1:18, 1:44, 2:10, 2:36, 3:02, 3:28, 3:39:59.  Key will be building some contingency without burning out!

• Options
    Not tapering yet Andy! I have per-warned the children that this is a big week of running, and Just do whatever I say when I say it! Last double day for me is Saturday then reducing mileage but staying with 4 days running per week. My query was really as I wanted to make sure I rested enough, relative to my work etc. But then again I don't even know if I'm running yet!
  • Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Ive been doing 6 days per week Kaz and started to reduce that now as well as the weekly mileage, in terms of long runs one 21.5 mile Saturday, then 17 the following week (combined with parkrun) and week before just the parkrun (going for a PB).  Last runs going to be 31/3 due to the travelling and disneyland which should rest my legs (normally only do a couple of slow 5ks in that week anyway)

• Options

Kirsten - Feel free to stalk me LOL

I did a very quick 3km this morning in a pretty quick time (for me!), so was happy.  Tomorrow I have a 30-35km run planned, followed by 12 hours of work.. so I am going to be stuffed. I am hoping to get all my work done this afternoon and tomorrow so I can have Wednesday off to finish packing ready for our flight early Thursday. image 

Andy I love that marathon band - great idea! image

I have just been put on a work course in Sydney for 2 weeks in September and the weekend after it finishes is when the Sydney marathon on.  I said to my hubby I think it's a sign! He just laughed at me! So I think i'll do it! It's also a 10km and 1/2 Marathon so if Paris doesn't go well I might see about downgrading but I'd love to do the Sydney Marathon. image   

• Options

I will go to the doctor about this but wanted to throw it out to the forum first.  Keep feeling lightheaded when I push myself.  Ran a half-marathon yesterday and got to the 10km in 49mins swaying and had to pull out at that point. My children say that when I I've finished running I smell of rust/metal.  Could I be losing my iron as I sweat? Anyone else experienced similar....or am I just weird?  I eat really healthily and, as I have a history of anaemia, eat lots of iron rich foods. 

I might have to reconsider my predicted finish time for Paris image

• Options

Elizabeth - definitely go to the doctor, if only to put your mind at rest. Have you checked all the usual things - were you properly hydrated/had you eaten enough etc? 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Elizabeth - I agree with RR. Get yourself checked out and i  hope you're ok.

Kirsten - there are normally a few pace groups informally merged via the forum. There's always the best pace group which is the party at the backimage

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Any miskates or missing anyone please send the correct information to Runners World - Medal List Fairy.

Runner – Gold – Silver – Bronze- (PB)

Andy W – 3h39 – 3h45 – 3h47

ATM – See the Finish

Eggyh - 4h00 - 4h15 - 4h30              

Hatter 88 -3h45 - 4h00 – 4h15 (Newbie)

Jockeybhoy – 4h00 – 4h21 – 4h22

Joe Spraggins – 3h24 – 3h33 – 3h40 – (4h22)

Kaz – Finish – Start - Medical Certificate              

KeyserSuze - 3h55 - 4h15 - 4h20 – (4h22)

LloydR - 3h40 - 3h50 - 3h59             

MacPerky - 3h22 - 3h25 - 3h28 (3h29)                   

Malcs - 3h20 - 3h24 - 3h29 (3h33)

MattyWar - 4h00 - 4h15 - 4h30 – (Newbie)

MJKK – 3h20 - 3h25 – 3h30 (Newbie)

PC - 4h00 - 4h20 - 4h30 – (4h43)

Peter Sherri – 4h45 – 4h51 – Enjoy and wave to crowd – (4h51)

Rach M in Aus – 4h29 – 4h39 –4h59

Roundman – 2h59 – 3h04 -3h08 - (3h09)

RunRichRun 3h05 – 3h13 h 3h25 – (3h25s20)

Scott – 3h45 – 4h00 – 4h12s14 - (4h12s15)

SmellyMelly - Finish                                                                                

Steve Ayling – Pub – Fun - Take in surroundings

Sparky335 – 3h45

The Jimbob - 3h00 - PB - GFA – (3h05)

ThisIsNatty – 4h07 – 4h15 – 4h30 (Newbie)

TinkerBel - 4h20 - 4h30 - 4h40       

Tmbrntt - 3h40 - 3h50 - 4h00 – (4h21)

Tricky Dicky - 3h00 - 3h05 - 3h12 – (2h54)

Weedy image -  Chris Cahill – Terry - Tory

Yer Maj – Squeak -3h55 - 3h59m59s

ZeenaWarrior – 4h30 – 4h45 - 5h00

• Options

Running Rodent - yes, I was hydrated, had eaten well and am sufficiently trained. It's not the Ist time that this has happened as I have been carted off in wheelchairs before now by extra cautious marshals as I pass the finish line. I look like I have been on the pop!  Probably too much information, but I smell terrible when I have finished a run and that is quite recent. I will go to the doctor but just wondered if anyone had experience similar.    

• Options

Hmmm, Chris Cahill doesn't ring a bell...Tory's an American name. I'll have a think.

Taper, I go to 12/14 miles on my LSR two weeks out, then a six or seven the week before.

Elizabeth - Can't help, sorry. Definitely needs a trip to the doctor tho

Mar 16: Fleet Half - Matty Warr. Gainsborough 10k - Leggy Mountbatten. Barcelona Marathon - Emmy, 1T, Pottermoss, RR, RS. Sweatshop 10-miler - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Mar 23: Brentwood Half - NGUG. Garioch Half - Uisige Jo. Georgia Marathon - Danni. Liverpool Half - James B, Orbutt. Richmond Half - Smelly Melly. Stanford Hall Half - Leggy Mountbatten.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's 50th birthday.
    Mar 29: Eco Trail de Paris 30k - TP.
    Mar 30: Yeovil Half - Matty Warr.
    Apr 6: Paris Marathon - The Prospector, Big Jim McKay, Black Larsen, Hank Curtis.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Palestine Marathon - Pottermoss.
    Apr 13 London Marathon - Carl D, Danni, OO, RaRa, RS, Wiola. Rotterdam Marathon - Emmy.
    Apr 21: Boston Marathon - RR.
    Apr 24: Audrey's birthday.
    Apr 27: Great Edinburgh Run - Eggy, HS. Lytham 10k - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Marseilles Half - ATM. Plymouth Half - Keyser Suze, Jimbob.
    May 4: North Lincolnshire Half - Leggy Mountbatten. Sunderland 10k - Iain.
    May 10: Rat Race Dirty Weekend - Roger Reid.
    May 11: Beverley 10k - Leggy Mountbatten. Bristol 10k - Matty Warr. Leeds Half - Andy W. Port Sunlight 10k - Orbutt.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 18: Brussels 20k - Iain. North Norfolk Half - Keyser Suze. Paris-St Germain 20k - PC, TP.
    May 23: Suzy L's birthday.
    May 25: Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Orbutt. London 10K -Jimbob, Matty Warr.
    May 29 Troi Rocs - 1T, TP.
    May 31: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Emmy, Jimbob.
    Jun 1: Comrades - Danni, RR.
    Jun 8: Mersey Tunnel 10k - Orbutt.
    Jun 9: Blaydon Race - Iain, OO.
    Jun 14: Tough Mudder: HS, Scott.
    Jun 15: Hoy Half - Kaz.
    Jun 21-22: Hadrian's Wall - Kaz, Roger Reid, Weedy. Trail Marathon Wales - TP.
    Jun 22: Freckleton Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Hackney Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jun 28: Giant's Head Marathon - Emmy, RS, Suzy L, Yer Maj.
    Jul 10: RR's birthday.
    Jul 11-13: Coast-to-Coast Crossing - Roger Reid.
    Jul 19: Loch Lomond Tri - ATM, HS, Scott W, Simon Mac.
    Jul 20: Wohlf's birthday.
    Jul 27: Wimbledon Common Half - Yer Maj.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Jul 30: Tink's birthday.
    Aug 2: Devil O' The Highlands - Kaz, Weedy. Virgin London Tri - Wi.
    Aug 18: Andy W's birthday.
    Aug 16: Coll Half - Eggy.
    Aug 23: Craggy Island Tri - Simon Mac.
    Aug 23-24: Hood to Coast Challenge -Danni.
    Sep 7: Great North Run - Andy W.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday.
    Sep 13-14: Scotland Coast-to-Coast - Roger Reid.
    Sep 14: Cologne Half - Iain.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 21: Warrington Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 26: NGUG's birthday.
    Sep 28: Ealing Half - Jimbob. Loch Ness Marathon/10k/5k - Audrey, Eggy, HS, Kaz, Keyser Suze, Mr KS, RR, Simon Mac, Suzy L, TP, Weedy.
    Oct 4: Albuturkey trip: Eggy, Danni, DV, Iain, TD, Tink, Yer Maj.
    Oct 6: 1T's birthday.
    Oct 12: PF's birthday. Yorkshire Marathon - Andy W.
    Oct 19: Abingdon Marathon - Chownsie, Jimbob, Stuchbury. Denver Marathon: Orbutt.
    Oct  28: Stort 30 - Emmy.
    Nov 2: Leeds Rob's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 8-9: Enigma Fireworks Double - Emmy, Weedy.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 1: James B's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiola's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Aaron's birthday, Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 3: TP's birthday.
    Feb 5-8: Quadzilla - Emmy, Weedy.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 28: Iain M's birthday.
    Mar 1:

• Options

...Mar 1: RS's birthday.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Elizabeth - I agree with everyone else, best get to the doctor and get this checked out. If it was a one off I'd think maybe it was a virus you had picked up, but if it's happening frequently that would be a concern.

• Options

Hi Elizabeth - am pretty certain that the only way you can lose iron is through bleeding. As to dizziness, I have recently learned that it's quite common for athletes in training (yes, that includes us amateurs!) to experience low blood pressure as heart efficiency increases.

So sudden decreases in speed/ effort (like crossing the finish line of a race) where HR drops quickly, or abrupt standing up/ sitting down, can create dizziness. Again it's something to discuss with your doc. Me and TinkerBEL use this to keep an eye on things (Omron M10-IT):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hrsJbCHLL._SX355_.jpg

For the uber-geeky, I used her Forerunner 620 yesterday which has the extended running metrics. Here's what that data looks like and you can ask yourself if that is useful data to have.

So grateful - rest day today - I need it so badly image Enjoy the sunshine folks image

• Options

Oct 13 - Rach M in Aus birthday image 

Elizabeth - I also agree with everyone else and think you should definitely head to the doctor.  Sounds a bit scary to me!