Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Thank you. The weekend distance is ok, its the cumulative mileage throughout the week that seems to be high, despite cutback and only 4 days running per week. I know I am probably being over cautious but what to be fully rested, and Taking the rest of my life in to consideration(work, classes). I still use the wise words of TD, not to run any longer than the days it is until race... I.e 15 days out no more than 15 miles.... Will play about a bit more with the numbers but so far I have 60miles this week, 45 the following then 32 and 38 the week of marathon(including marathon obvs).

Elizabeth - Doctor 

• Options

PC - if you use a SHIFT ENTER then you don't get the extra gap in between lines. Hope this helps mate

Runner - Gold - Silver - Bronze (PB)

Andy W - 3h39 - 3h45 - 3h47
    ATM - See the Finish
    Eggyh - 4h00 - 4h15 - 4h30            
    Hatter 88 - 3h45 - 4h00 - 4h15 (Newbie)
    Jokeybhoy - 4h00 - 4h21 - 4h22
    Joe Spraggins - 3h24 - 3h33 - 3h40 (4h22)
    Kaz - Finish - Start - Medical Certificate            
    KeyserSuze - 3h55 - 4h15 - 4h20 (4h22)
    LloydR - 3h40 - 3h50 - 3h59           
    MacPerky - 3h22 - 3h25 - 3h28 (3h29)                 
    Malcs - 3h20 - 3h24 - 3h29 (3h33)
    MattyWarr - 4h00 - 4h15 - 4h30 (Newbie)
    MJKK - 3h20 - 3h25 - 3h30 (Newbie)
    PC - 4h00 - 4h20 - 4h30 (4h43)
    Peter Sherri - 4h45 - 4h51 - Enjoy and wave to crowd (4h51)
    Rach M in Aus - 4h29 - 4h39 - 4h59
    Roundman - 2h59 - 3h04 - 3h08 (3h09)
    RunRichRun - 3h05 - 3h13 - 3h25 (3h25s20)
    Scott - 3h45 - 4h00 - 4h12s14 (4h12s15)
    SmellyMelly - Finish                                                                               
    Steve Ayling - Pub - Fun - Take in surroundings
    Sparky335 - 3h45
    The Jimbob - 3h00 - PB - GFA (3h05)
    ThisIsNatty - 4h07 - 4h15 - 4h30 (Newbie)
    TinkerBel - 4h20 - 4h30 - 4h40     
    Tmbrntt - 3h40 - 3h50 - 4h00 (4h21)
    Tricky Dicky - 3h00 - 3h05 - 3h12 (2h54)
    Weedy  -  Chris Cahill - Terry - Tory
    Yer Maj - Squeak -3h55 - 3h59m59s
    ZeenaWarrior - 4h30 - 4h45 - 5h00

• Options

Osteopath is a pretty good shout too.

The pain doesn't extend to my hamstrings - its a very localised sharp pain. Still can't work out if its muscular or skeletal. Difficult to describe but I'm sure the osteopath can help me identify image 

Its all getting a bit exciting now though - less than 4 weeks to go and the last training week before the taper!

• Options

Did the East Hull 20 yesterday.  It went brilliantly! Awesome sunshine.  I managed a constant pace throughout and even achieved the holiest of grails - the negative split.  It all went so much better than I had feared.  No emergency toilet stops, no chafing, no desperate urge to crawl.  I'm not saying it wasn't tough, in the last mile even going up and down kerbs was a challenge, but I did it and I reckon I'll be OK at Paris too.

Hope everyone else is doing well too.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ooooooooooft is all I have to say this morning.  10 miles with 4 x 1200m at 5k race pace.  Before 7 am.  Just as Kaz was tucking into her lunch.

That's that one done, then.

• Options

Thanks for the advice everyone - trip to doctor planned this week, promise!

• Options

Haha YM!! I hadn't even had breakfast yet due to attacking the ironing pile I had avoided all last week!image Having never done a 5k( or 10k for tht matter) I can only assume that is good! image 

• Options

10 miles before breakfast YM, ouch! And wow!

We did a slooooow 22M yesterday from Norwich to Aylsham along the Marriott's Way - an ex railway line so it's nice and flat. Nowt but dog walkers, cyclists and the occasional horse to share the path with. 

We did it in about 4hours at a leisurely 10:25 pace, stopping for a minute or two to take on gels and stretch. Felt okay but was really tough for the last couple of miles. My head is telling me that it felt tough because it was hotter than it has been for months and the pace was slower than I'd been used to, so a rhythm was harder to get into. 

My heart is telling me that I need to find the time to run another four miles in the same window - eek!

On the upside, although I'm tired today I wasn't totally wiped out yesterday and I don't ache very much at all, hooray. Last long run next week will be the litmus test, I reckon - 20 miles at alternating MP/9.30min/mil. 

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Cheers Tricky

Weedy - No Rush

Matty - received my new toy on Saturday so check this out. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/458426804  Lot's of green image . Not bad considering I wasn't following my cadence during the race.

See a physio, during the long repetitive runs our muscles tighten and all the muscles are linked. The importance of stretching to return the elasticity to the muscles. Most people here have an OROD (Orange Roller of Doom). A physio will stretch you all over the place. 6'4" and 15st ? I bet you'll still have tears in your eyes !  Pressure/trigger points are a killer.

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    I'm going to upgrade my garmin watch soon,I'm still on the basic 305 I think,it feels like you are carrying a 5kg dumbbell at times.
  • Options

Weedy - Tricky and Me for Giant's Head Marathon. Gulp. The marathon bit is scary enough. But the camping?!

A big weekend of training for both of us and I'm weary to the bone.

;aoiwjef n:Scmv,.

See. 

Head. Just. Keeps. Falling. Into. Keyboard.

It could be the training. Or the wine on Saturday evening.image

I'm not as pi55fit as I used to be.

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Essex 20 yesterday in 2:51. Very pleased with that on a course with hills.

Hatter 88: Looks like our progress/targets are very similar. If I can keep up with you I should be okay image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Tink - you need to start training for Pissfit in readiness for Giant's Knob.  Now.

• Options

LloydR no problem I might need you it pull me though the last 6 miles ! Haven't been beyond 20 ! 

i ran with a mate yesterday and it definitely helped  

• Options
    So new plan ,,,, I follow LloydR who follows Hatter 88 ,

I can see a conga forming on the champs ??lys??es image
  • Options

Love it Scott! 

I decided to my planned rest day today, even though its the most beautiful day in a long long time. I took the dog for a lovely 5 mile walk instead. My second last LSR tomorrow. 

• Options

Some great running over the weekend everyone! I clocked up 20 miles (10 pace Saturday + 10 easy Sunday) plus I got my new bike which I couldn't resist taking out for a 30 mile spin on Sunday as well image

2 big runs this week; a 10 mile marathon pacer on Thursday and then my last longer run, 21 miles, on Sunday. After that I've got a halfway-house week where it's slightly easier but not quite tapering, then in the penultimate week my only critical run is another 10 mile MP number. Then we're in the home stretch! 27 days, can't wait.

This week: c. 57 miles

Next week: c. 45 miles

w/c 24/3: c. 42 miles

Final week: 26 (+26.2 on the sunday!)

Interesting reading about just keeping track of the 5km's; seeing as I'm aiming to do 5 minute km's even I can just about keep track of that image

• Options

Gorgeous hiking and running in the sunshine on Exmoor this weekend.

I have 2 questions to pose:

Firstly, I have only done 1 x 20m run, last Thursday. I am planning another on this Thursday. If I feel OK, should I try and fit in a third a week later? That would be 2.5 wks before Paris, so my taper would be cut short.

I feel this might be asking for trouble, given that I've had plenty of injury already in this training.  But I don't have the tiredness levels that many of you are dealing with pre-taper because I basically haven't trained as hard as most of you.

Secondly, its the poo issue again. I ran a recent HM using Imodium for the first time. It was great! However, I will be out there for more then 4.5 hrs in Paris, so I would have to take more en route and I'm not sure its wise to bung myself up for that long. Anyone have any experience of this? Once you've left the starter pens behind, are there plenty of toilets or is it really just bushes in the Bois?

• Options

benignmurmurring - How long do you reckon you'll be out there for? I took Imodium before my first marathon which I did in 4.21 and was, ahem, bunged up for a while after that. I think on the map there's quite a few toilet stops aren't there?

Also, 2x 20 milers ought to be enough to be honest, I don't really see what benefits a third would bring that close to race day. May be worth getting a good mid-distance run (14, 15 miles) in there to raise confidence a bit, but no need to go the while 20.

• Options

PC - Cracking work! Also agreed on the OROD (Though mine is a GROD as its grey!) and will definitely try that this evening!

• Options

PC - Targets; Gold 4.45, Silver 4.55, Bronze finish still able to smile

• Options

Benign - Due to a rwally dodgy stomach I always use immodium during marathons, but luckily for me one bit of chocolate reverses the effects immedietly. I don't think you should do another 20 miler that close, I would be frightened of injury Or lingering tiredness. Last year I only did 1 x 15 mile, and 1 x 20 miler the rest all 10's and I got round fine. 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

tmbrntt - I'm not sure what plan you are following, but to me 26 training miles planned during the marathon week sounds excessive. Are you sure you aren't over training during the taper?

BM - Two 20's are fine. Rest is important for the taper and for your race. It's what you've done over the last few months that count, not the last few weeks.

• Options

Scott the walker - the more the merrier although slightly worried you are both expecting me to pace you ! 

just printed off a 3.50 target pace band from the link posted earlier, very useful. 

• Options

Eggy - pretty much following this (save for turning this week's 16 miler into a 20, just for a confidence boost): http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathoning-hansons-way

What would you recommend for a taper?

• Options

Tmbrntt - just goes to show how different plans can be, I have been following the 'first' plan http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/the-first-three-day-a-week-marathon-schedule/2493.html which has much less mileage !! 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    tmbrntt wrote (see)

Eggy - pretty much following this (save for turning this week's 16 miler into a 20, just for a confidence boost): http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathoning-hansons-way

What would you recommend for a taper?

That's an interesting final week for a taper. Maybe one of our training yoda's like TD can comment, but I've never seen a training plan that has you running that many days in the final week.

It has you running on 10 of the final 11 days of training. That goes against everything I've read saying that rest and recovery are far more important at that stage of training.

If it's working for you stick with it. I was just surprised to see that sort of mileage at that point in the taper.

To compare my final week is:

Mon: 5 miles

Tue: 3 miles

Wed: Rest

Thur: Rest

Fri: Rest

Sat: 3 miles

Sun: Marathon

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Eggy - my final week will be similar to yours. 

I've not followed a specific plan but for the taper period I will pretty much be reducing by thirds, so the last long run will be 20-21 ish, the next long runs will be 13 and then 8. 

The mid week runs will reduce in the same way for example a 9 mile run one week, will be a 6 next week and 4 the week after.

i think Tricky said, reduce the mileage but keep the intensity - that right TD?

• Options

My last week is about the same as Eggy - Tues 5, Wed 4, Sat 3.

Strength training done. May have hurty quads tomorrow. Think I will have to drop Strength training in the last week too.

• Options
    Scott the Walker wrote (see)
    So new plan ,,,, I follow LloydR who follows Hatter 88 ,
    I can see a conga forming on the champs ??lys??es image

This is genius. Ditch the official pacers, and line up the whole thread in estimated finish order. Result - an invincible Paris thread train charging through the streets of Paris image.

Re tapers - the dreaded P&D plan has you running pretty hard right to the end. The last week looks like:

Tues - recovery 6 miles

Wed - 7 miles with 2 at mara pace

Fri - recovery 5 miles including 6 x 100m strides

Sat - recovery 4 miles

The last one was the only training session of the entire plan that I dropped - I just felt it was too much and I needed to rest. Plus I was travelling and Expoing anyway. But I did do the others (mind you, I fell flat on my face during the Tuesday run and skinned my elbow, but that's another story).