Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    TD won't I be too cold with just a vest if the sun goes in?

This time tomorrow we'll be on our merry way!!!
  • Options

Bonjour fellow runners, after feeling a bit hot and gurgling stomach in Greek Resteraunt last night, asleep at midnight and a very good sleep , time for shower then orob get to expo 1045-1100 ish ,

take it easy today folks, may see anyone at back of 4hr pen, front of 4:15 tomorrow - we're going to see if we can move from 4:15 to 4 as someone advised less crowded at back of pen . 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all. Radar Sal and I will be at the expo from 1 I think!... this is on the provision I can roll myself onto my train after the huge brekkie I've just had.

Good luck to you all. See you at pasta papas or the photo shoot or even during the race!

• Options

I'm going for a gentle stroll in the sun at Bois de Boulogne. I am going to try and make friends with her so she will be nice to me when I stagger in tomorrow...

• Options

Fancy electronic shutters on the bedroom windows kept all the daylight out - woke up at 9:40 image. Better set several alarms tomorrow...

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    MacpARCy - be careful what friends you make in Bois de Boulogne.

RR - Shutters are brilliant. Can't understand why they don't have them in UK.

Nothing to say, calm before the storm
  • Options

Andy-W - min 13 or 14C is not a problem even for a skinny whippet like me to hang about in a vest. Once you get running, it's really not an issue. The only time I've noticed this race fel cold is when we are running along the Grand Magazins, around 5-7K into the race, when the buildings are high and we are out of any sunlight and it's still early in the morning.

It'll certainly be warm enough towards the end of the race 17-18C so you'll be grateful for cooler clothing.

One last word of advice for runners wearning Garmin watches. Set the AUTO PAUSE function to OFF. If you don't do this, your watch will automatically stop when you hit the tunnels and your measurements of time and distance will be completely wrong. The longest tunnel is about 850m. You really don't want to make this mistake. AutoPause OFF.

• Options
    Nothing like a faff, faff and more faffs to stretch the patience to my limit. Anyway here in Paris good to be back ..... See u all down the pasta
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Ooh - sunshine. Don't like itimage

In case anyone missed  the advice - the newspaper L'Equipe has a special pull out on Monday with all of the finishers and their times. Don't miss you chance to see your name in print - aside from those pesky court appearances image

• Options

***Supporters***

Having looked at the race maps and the Metro, and taking Orbutt's advice, I have decided to simplify the supporters' plan slightly. So the plan is:

Leave the runners at the start line and take the RER line A (the red one) to Gare de Lyon (3 stops). 

Walk from there to first support point Place Felix Eboue (km 8, approx)

Walk from there to second support point Dugommier ( km 20 approx)

Back to Gare de Lyon, reverse RER journey back to Charles de Gaulle-Etoile.

Walk back down to km 41/42 for the final support point.

This simplifies travel and I think should work. I have maps for supporters which I'll hand out at the Arc tomorrow.

• Options

Wot I was doing at 3.15am was catching my flight was wot it was. I may sleep through the meal tonight Zzzzzzzzz

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice TD, Tourist info at train station said 15 degrees first thing possibly rain brightening later, I'll put my trust in you as last year I went over the top in Manchester (but still hit sub 3:45 PB), the year before in London 2012 made the auto pause Garmin mistake sub 3:45 on watch but 3:47 actual. Great advice as so easy to forget.

My train is 6:13 or 6:43 from DLP so going to aim for earlier one including baggage drop ... Disney New York hotel reckon it's too early to sort out a proper breakfast ... Offered me just a hot chocolate so I told them to forget it (good job I have oatcakes, bars, energy drinks, etc)
  • Options

Just thought I'd pop in to say good luck all. Hope you enjoy Pasta Papa's, les pompiers, the tunnels, the cobbles, the wine station and most of all... your finish! Allez allez!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Thanks Engineer - Pasta Papas was great, I'm sure the rest will be too. 

• Options

Had a great meal with friends from this forum at Pasta Papas. So nice to meet everyone and put faces to names, thanks to tricky for organising it, see you in the morning fellow marathon runners image

• Options
    Good luck everyone! My belly is full of pasta, my kit is laid out ready for the morning and I'm raring to go!!

Hope everyone sleeps well tonight and more importantly, runs well tomorrow image I'll be the bald bloke in a blue Wye Valley Runners top so feel free to say hi if you see me image
  • Options

This evening, don't forget to "Prepare bandages for your tits if required"

[Page 13 of the Marathon Guide found in the expo bags]

• Options

Wrexhamrob I plan to be at the back of the RH green pen, so maybe see you there. I'll be wearing a (retro styled) turquoise and pink headband

• Options

Hey folks - almost zero chance of seeing someone you know really well once you are in the pens, never mind someone you barely know. The only safe place to meet is at the Arc and then walk down to the pens together. Many of us will be congregating from 07:45 or even earlier, having already dropped bags off. We'll be at the bottom of the right hand leg of the arch, nearest the Champs Elysees (but with your back to it). Expect to see lots of STOOL flags.

Was great to see so many new folks at Pasta Papas tonight - shame you couldn't be there TheEngineer - sleep well and have a cracking time tmrw good people

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

I think I saw you all having your photo taken with the stool flags before you went off to Pasta Papas today, but was too timid to say hello (I'm shy)! If anyone noticed someone looking gormless at you that was meimage

Will try and get the gumption to say hello at the arc tomorrow if I'm there on time, otherwise good luck all!

• Options
    Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

My garmin doesn't have an auto pause function, not one I can find.  It's a FR110.  I won't panic. I did discover an alarm, so can now set 3.  That should be enough,  I guess.

Lovely to meet up for the cinema. Hope you enjoyed the meal. I was at a different pastapapa's.  Huge portions,  very tasty spag bol. Lots of first timers.

Time to get everything laid out for the morning.   Sleep some, if not brilliantly!

• Options

Kirsten - the 110 doesn't have auto pause. It should pick up the signal again when you come out of the tunnels, and keep going. 

• Options

Good luck everyone, I hope Paris is good to you.

• Options
    Good luck everybody. I hope you all have a great race and get a result you can be proud of. Smash it!!
  • Options
    Are people setting there watched to km or miles I don't really know my speed in km but want to stick with the markers. Not sure what to do
  • Options
    Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

I'm sticking to miles.  The maths will keep my brain busy.

• Options
    I am sticking to miles.
  • Options
    Good call mind made up and thanks for the auto pause tip
  • Options

My garmin is also a fR110 so glad to read it doesn't have an auto pause - good to see I wasn't looking in the wrong place image

Im sticking to km since that's what we use in australia image