Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh dear. I did that with my phone once. Bye bye phone.

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Hatter 88 - That stinks.

Weedy - I'm also doing the London 10k on 25 May if you can add me to the list.

• Options

Hello to the newbies welcome, Paris was my first marathon and I had an absolute ball - mostly thanks to this lot!

Anyone tried the latest fitness class craze of "Insanity"? They've started doing it in the hall across from work at lunchtimes and thought I'd give it a go... but not sure how gimmicky it is!

Oh no Hatter, that's not good!

Weedy - could you add me for the Aviemore Half on 12th Oct, cheers

• Options

UisgeJo - if its the same as the norm its no gimmick. Plenty of cardio intervals and bodyweight moves at high speed! Fun. image

Well done yesterday Emmy. 

Stuchbury - not sure re foot - nerve? If it was tendon or anything it would be sore constantly? 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Uisge Jo wrote (see)

Hello to the newbies welcome, Paris was my first marathon and I had an absolute ball - mostly thanks to this lot!

Anyone tried the latest fitness class craze of "Insanity"? They've started doing it in the hall across from work at lunchtimes and thought I'd give it a go... but not sure how gimmicky it is!

Oh yes... I even have the grey tshirtimage If you do it right - it HURTS for the first week and hurts every workout but you do notice the improvement.

• Options

Hello everybody! Just signed up for Paris next year. I've had a look at flights from Birmingham - can anyone tell me if the current price of £109 sounds reasonable and whether it is likely to go up or down over the next few months? What have other people paid in the past?

• Options

Hi there – here’s another forum newcomer. I’ve been running for a couple of years now, primarily to keep fit. But it’s an addictive pastime. After a 0to10K program in 2012, I joined a running club and am doing a half-marathon this autumn. And (a well-trodden path, this, I guess so many people start this way) my thoughts are turning to the idea of a marathon. Could I? Should I? I entered the Paris ballot and secured a place, but from what I’ve read here, there will be places left in October anyway. I’ve also entered the London marathon ballot, but being in the foreign ballot don‘t have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting in.

So if you don’t mind, I’ll just hang around, get a few ideas, contribute a bit (I‘m not much of a forumite, though) and keep on running. Times: sluggish. 10k in 1.10. But improving from original 1:23 of 2012. The rate of improvement’s getting a lot faster, as well: image
    0-5k: 52 years
    5-10k: 2.5 months

Hannah

• Options

acp - sounds reasonable to me, I have just paid £108 to Amsterdam in October from brum. The only other thing worth considering is eurostar, we used it this year and found it great, train from warwick (same line as Bham) to london then eurostar to paris. The benefit is eurostar arrives at gare du nord where you can get tube/train easily to centre vs the airport which is a way out of town. Prices have not yet been released but if you wait and get in as soon as they are it probably would be similar. 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Welcome Hannah and acp! Stay around and ask questions image

Hatter - I like the eurostar as well.

• Options

Hi all

Just signed up for Paris and it will be my first full marathon. Excited and nervous at the same time. Finally got my half marathon time under two hours so its about time I do a full marathon. I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions over the next twelve months!

Matt

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Welcome Matt! image

For all of you newbies - tell us a little about yourself. What's your running experience? What's your training plan like? What other events are you doing?

• Options

Thanks for the welcome! I started a couch to 5k programme in January 2012 with the aim of losing some of my 18 stone. Thanks to running I'm now 90 lbs lighter.

As the weight came off I got the running bug and completed the Kenilworth Half marathon in that September in two hours and twenty three minutes. A few injuries meant I didn't run another half until October 2013 when I ran the Great Birmingham Run in two hours, twelve.

I set myself a target of getting under two hours by this October's Great Birmingham run and this March I ran Reading in two hours seven minutes and Warwick in two hours three minutes. Yesterday I ran Stratford and managed to beat my target and finished in one hour, fifty nine minutes! I'm currently sat with a sore knee planning my next races!

My plan for the rest of the year is the two castles 10k in June, Edgehill half marathon in July, Kenilworth in September and finishing off with Birmingham in October when I will start training for Paris

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Welcome Matt! Sounds like you are making some great improvements with your running.

Welcome to Hannah and acp too!

• Options

Hello to Mattleydon, Hannah and acp. I did Paris as a first Marathon this year and absolutely loved it. I'll be back next spring.  Great city, great race.

If you're a newbie, one bit of unsolicited advice I would give early on is 'know your weaknesses'  Work out which bits of your body are likely to go wrong when you up the mileage and strengthen them before you start your training. Lot of time yet though. This is really a reminder to me to get back to the core and strength training.

• Options

Hi!  Newbie here.  I'm looking to enter Paris 2015, and have entered the ballot for London too - the plan is to do them both, and raise a lot of money for being such a stupid arse. 

But I'm struggling to find info on Paris entries (info in English anyway) - did I see earlier on this thread that last years entries were done in Sept?  How easy is it to actually get a place? (hopefully easier than London - I've been trying every year since I last ran it in 09)

• Options

Hi acp, hannah, mattyl and betzza! welcome to the fun!

Betzza - someone with more experience than me will be able to give more detail, but I entered in about October last year for 2014, it's on a first come first serve basis with cheaper entries selling out first. so, much easier than london! not sure exactly when it opens though.

Emmy & Kaz thanks for the response - will head along tomorrow, have been meaning to find circuits classes or similar to include strength and core work into my plan, but there was nothing at a suitable time/location combo - this could well be my answer!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Hello all new people.

• Options

Hello everyone. It's nice to see the thread bouncing along with its usual infectious excitement, even if it means I have no hope in keeping up!

Weedy could you add me to the same four 10k's as Eggy please? May 15th, 22nd and 29th and June 8th. There's one of them I can't do but don't remember which.

Uisge Jo good luck with the Insanity. It's great but very full on and there's an awful lot of jumping so watch out for your calves - you'll need your OROD like never before.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

HS - If you plan on missing one I recommended skipping Dumbarton, as it's evil. The two times I've ran it I had a complete nightmare. Nothing to do with me, definitely all Dumbarton's fault!

• Options

Well....Dumbarton is Dumbarton, it probably was their fault.

• Options

Hi to all the new people.

For anyone fretting about travel and accommodation, relax, you have plenty of time. Entry doesn't usually open until September - this year they've decided to have an early ballot for some 'cheaper' places (possibly to avoid the inevitable systems crash, or to improve their cash flow). Most people are still likely to apply in autumn. Paris is a big place and has good public transport, so even if you don't find somewhere right on the start line, as long as you're near a Metro station you'll be fine. And there are lots of transport options - but Eurostar tickets don't go on sale until 3 months beforehand.

I can't recommend the race highly enough - I've run it four times now, and even came over this year to spectate although I wasn't running it. I'm also seriously considering ditching the place I have for London next year and doing Paris instead, which says it all, really.

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Welcome to Matleydon, acp, betzza and Hannah. This really is the place to get all you need to know re Paris, stick around and join the partay!

matt, well done you on your improvements - I'm sure you're aware that a marathon is a different animal; one to be treated with respect but also enjoyed...think of it more as a campaign.

acp, I reckon you got as good a price as you'll get going to Paris by plane from the UK.

Hannah, good for you...another get up and do it kind of person, tick! Wouldn't worry about the times......it's not all about that.....it's a marathon.

Betzza - the infos all on the website...keep looking!

I've been cracking on with 10k stuff but after Sunday's lsr going to take it easy for a few days - got a niggly left calf and warm feeling on sole of foot. I think I need the rest.....ummm, not quite sure what to do? Certainly not worried about the distance but would like to do some speed sessions at least.

• Options

Hi all, another newbie here. I've just signed up for the Paris Marathon next year, and am going to join the local running club this week - must admit I'm a bit nervous about joining the club but it sounds like most runners are a friendly bunch.

I ran London a few years ago and had knee problems, so I'm hoping that this time, with better training I'll be OK. I can't wait!

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Hi Towney, welcome.

Wow, huge interest already for Paris 2015...hardly surprising, it's a spectacular gig image

• Options

Hi all newbies and welcome, I ran my first marathon in Paris as a newbie last year and have to say this forum was a great way of preparing and building the excitement. last year entries opened in September and I entered after failing again to get into London, it was great to be able to enter without the 'wait and see' that is London ! It's been said before on here but the marathon is a different beast and needs to been seen that way. give more time for the mileage building than most plans suggest and build up slowly, there where lots of stories on here in jan feb of injuries due to overuse etc (me included) I have nothing to compare with yet but Paris was awesome and I'm already signed up for next year (through early ticket ballot which was new this year) stay tuned it moves fast on here ! 

• Options

Hi Towney - welcome to the mayhem. Stick around and join in, there is useful information hidden amongst all the non running related chat! Also, Paris is lovely.

• Options

First run since Paris and London tonight, an easy 8 miler in the sun along the shore. Not sure taking 2 weeks off was the right thing to do but hey that's life.

Countdown to Edinburgh now, on so it's time to up the game and get with my plan, I know I can smash the 5 hour barrier in Edinburgh with a bit of luck as times been steadily coming down from my initial 5:55 to 5:18 in Paris and 5:12 in London and I got boxed in over the isle of dogs. 

Not going to beat myself up over it though as I run to enjoy as you regulars on here know.

A warm welcome to all of the newbies you have joined the best forum on the site

• Options

As this is my first marathon, my only goal is to finish it. I would like to be under five hours but if I have to limp my way over the finish line in seven hours I will still be happy!

Its a long way off and I'm sure this question gets asked a lot but everyone has a different opinion. What was the longest run you guys do before your marathons? I was thinking of following Hal Higdons novice 1 training plan but extending it to go up to about 23 miles

• Options

hi all,

Some may know that I had issues during the race this year and pulled out at Km35 due to de-hydration. I was taken and treated at a public hospital in Paris (drip, chest x-ray, Heart rate monitor). While being treated there I did not have my EHIC on me and when discharged from hospital they did not charge me anything. To my surprise today a letter through the post from the hospital charging me EUR1,700 (yes One thousand and seven hundred euros). Does anyone have experience dealing with this? I am thinking of sending a copy of my EHIC to them so they can "re-calculate" the costs. It is an extortionate cost for an EEA citizen I believe.

Comments are appreciated.