Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

I lost my status for a while BM, but I am working hard a regaining  entry  to the nutter category!image

• Options

I hope you don't mind me asking the following question about the paris marathon to those faster marathon runners who have completed it.  The cut off time is 5.40 but the results show that quite a few finished after the cut off time.  What happens after the 5.40 cut off point do the finishers still get a medal  I hope you can help

Thanks Twinkle

(normally a lurker)

• Options

Hi Twinkle and welcome to the daylight image. They do eventually reopen the roads to traffic, but as you say there are plenty of finishers over 5:40 and you definitely get a medal (I'm assuming you're not planning on wearing a diving suit and taking 3 days, in which case you might want to have a word with the organisers?).

• Options

Thanks for answer running rodent  I am a very slow middle aged plodder and I ve picked up the marathon bug after completing london (notice no running word) I put in for the Paris Marathon and got a ballot place but am unsure if they are as welcoming in Paris as in London to people who have trained hard but are still slow my time is around 6 hours and I d love to do it.  For the last three years I have followed the asics participants and watched their acheivements specifically Malcom and shady aidy but I would be in never never land if I thought I would ever come close to emulating their times but if the french are as welcoming of hard training slow coaches I will gladly pay right this minute for my place as its been worrying me.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Slow runners are very welcome in Paris.  You'll love it.

• Options

Twinklestar - you'll be welcome in Paris and on this thread. Its a beautiful marathon route - you'll just be giving it the time it deserves to see it properly.

• Options

Thanks Dannirr and benignmurmurring for putting my mind to rest as I was told by another runner who knows that I am not a "natural runner"  that I would be disqualified and would embarress myself

thanks for putting my mind at rest

• Options

Nonsense! What a silly thing to say. Having spectated at km 41 this year I'd say some of the slow but steady runners at the back were having a much better time than many of the speed bunnies up front.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Twinklestar - Ignore who ever came out with that gibberish. You'd be more then made welcome in Paris and gain a nice shiny medal and have a great time in Paris.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

You'd embarrass yourself?  What an unkind thing to say...and it's a load of pish.

Get yourself a place and start looking forward to it image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Twinklestar - hi image

Just to put your mind at rest, the last of our forum runners finished this year in  6:28:29 having had a real nightmare run.

She wasn't last and the cheerleaders were still dancing for them at the end. 

You'll be fine. 

• Options

Hello! I too have entered Paris for next year, after doing London as my first this year. Having read back a few pages this looks like a great group, so looking forward to being part of it. 

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
  • Options

Hi to all the newbies, more and more every time I pop onto this thread.

Twinklestar, I ran 5:18 this year so don't worry, I had a real laugh and just enjoyed the day, you'll be fine..

Kaz, your mantle as mad is well earnt image

ATM,  hope you make it to 2015 

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Hello everyone new!

Shakespeare Marathon for me today. On course for a sub four all the way to mile 22! Then my legs just wouldn't go any faster. Mile 20 there's a nasty long hill with a v steep end bit. I tried but after that my legs didn't want to know, despite having the right tunes playing to get me going. So I got a very respectable 4:03:41, a shade under a minute slower than Paris. I'll take that. I enjoyed it - it was windy and a couple of rain showers but apart from that... Two superheroes beat me and Will Shakespeare ran the half. A bit off putting as you're mixed with the half runners until mile 11 so as I was settling in around mile 10 other people were cranking it up and I had to check their bib colour to reassure myself that they were nearly finished and I'd be doing the same if I were them!

knowledgable ones.. What is a pain on the outside of my foot sort of below the ankle. I had this develop in Paris and then again today but worse. It came on around 14 miles and lasted until about 23, disappeared and now I'm fine but it properly hurt. Can't say it slowed me down but strange I've had the same pain twice. 

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Yer maj  - they were taking portal oops off the lorry today. I had a brand spanking new one Before the start. Oooo it was oovely!

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Loos not oops!

• Options

Stuchbury - in my experience of what goes on in some of them, portal oops can be a fair description image.

Cant really advise on the foot I'm afraid - trapped nerve maybe?

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

I wondered if it was a nerve type thing.. It's not  'injured', it just hurts. A portal oops is quite apt!image

• Options

I'm looking at enjoying the run's - Got Edinburgh Marathon coming up first  - rather than worrying about time so much. I'm also a plodder, but agree with what someone else said previously, I don't think I would enjoy it as much if I was chasing a PB. I was never a sporty child or adult so running is a recent hobby and that's what I need it too remain.

Looking at booking a hotel for Paris now though as I am a worry bug and will worry I wont be in the right place, at the right time if I don't.

• Options

Hi All I ve read back your kind comments and I am at this very minute trying to enter for those that have already entered on the drop down box for nationality its all in french and the nearest I can get is ireland what did you put down for british

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Twinklestar - look for Royaume Uni. 

The French can't spell United Kingdom

• Options

Thanks orbutt found it I have never heard of that before thanks for your help

• Options

Hi All forumites thanks for all your comments today I have now entered and paid for Paris 2015  I hope you don't mind that I don't post that much but be assured I will be lurking

Twinkle

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hatter 88 wrote (see)

ATM - you've got to join us we need you there ! 

Stuchbury - best of luck I bottled it and decided on Amsterdam later in the year for PB Attempt. Managed a nice 8 at 8 mile pace today in the wind 

Twinklestar wrote (see)

I hope you don't mind me asking the following question about the paris marathon to those faster marathon runners who have completed it.  The cut off time is 5.40 but the results show that quite a few finished after the cut off time.  What happens after the 5.40 cut off point do the finishers still get a medal  I hope you can help

Thanks Twinkle

(normally a lurker)

Twinkle!! image I remember you from Thames Meander! How are you doing? It'll be great to see you in Paris.

Duesseldorf marathon for me yesterday. I really need to work out my practicalities and what I need to bring with me for a race. I was wholly unprepared but it just helps to look at the eventualities. 4.28 I think and a lovely day out in Germany!

*waves to everyone*

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Twinklestar - Enjoy lurking, and even de-lurking when required.

Emmy - Well done! I would have thought you'd have the marathon packing list down to perfection by now though.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

eggy - I have a box that I normally take with me but because I was travelling last week I didnt get home and have enough time to pack all of the clothes. Gels I was fine with - it was the other stuff.

• Options

Hi to all the recent arrivals. If you've got any events you've entered, or birthdays coming up, just post a message and I'll add them to the list, which gets updated every Monday...

And happy birthday to Maxs Mum

Apr 28: Maxs Mum's 50th birthday.
    May 3: Deadline for paying for Paris ballot places.
    May 4: Keswick Half - 0051. North Lincolnshire Half - Leggy Mountbatten. Strolling Jim 41-miler - Danni. Sunderland 10k - Iain M.
    May 5: Bluebell Trail 10 - Dirty Leeds Rob.
    May 10: Rat Race Dirty Weekend - Roger Reid.
    May 11: Beverley 10k - Leggy Mountbatten. Bristol 10k - Matty Warr. Glasgow Women's 10k - ATM. Leeds Half - Andy W. Oxford 10k - O Rapid Run. Port Sunlight 10k - Orbutt.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday. Helensburgh 10k - Eggy.
    May 17: Simon MacPerky's birthday.
    May 18: Aberdeen 10k - Simon MacPerky. Blenheim 7k - O Rapid Run. Brussels 20k - Yer Maj. Lochwinnoch 10k - Eggy, Helter Skelter. North Norfolk Half - Keyser Suze. Paris-St Germain 20k - PC, Tartan Pimpernel. St Anne's Tri - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    May 22: Apperley Bridge 10k - Andy W. Clydebank 10k - Eggy.
    May 23: Suzy L's birthday.
    May 25: Edinburgh Marathon - Whackers. Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Orbutt, Wrexham Rob. London 10K -Jimbob, Matty Warr, Natty, O Rapid Run, Radar Sal, Uncus Christus. Ox Marathon - Maxs Mum.
    May 29: Dunbarton 10k - Eggy. Troi Rocs - One Tit, Tartan Pimpernel.
    May 31: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Emmy, Jimbob, Yer Maj. Stockholm Marathon - Pottermoss.
    Jun 1: Comrades - Danni, Running Rodent. Regents Park 10k - Jellybum.
    Jun 7: Bedgebury 10k - Natty.
    Jun 8: Mersey Tunnel 10k - Orbutt. Vale of Leven 10k - Eggy.
    Jun 9: Blaydon Race - Iain, OO51.
    Jun 11: Portumna Half - ATM.
    Jun 14: Tough Mudder: Helterskelter, Scott.
    Jun 15: Hoy Half - Kaz.
    Jun 21-22: Hadrian's Wall - Booktrunk, Kaz, Roger Reid, Weedy. Trail Marathon Wales - Tartan Pimpernel.
    Jun 22: Freckleton Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Hackney Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jun 28: Cotswold Way Relay - Benign Murmurring. Giant's Head Marathon - Dirty Leeds Rob, Emmy, Keyser Suze, Maxs Mum, Radar Sal, Suzy L, Tricky Dicky, Tinkerbel, Yer Maj.
    Jul 5: Corrieyarick Duathlon - Uisge Jo.
    Jul 10: Running Rodent's birthday. Whackers' birthday.
    Jul 11-13: Coast-to-Coast Crossing - Roger Reid.
    Jul 13: Lytham Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Surrey Badger Half - Natty. Tenby Marathon - Mrs Bruffy.
    Jul 19: Loch Lomond Tri - ATM, Helterskelter, Scott W, Simon MacPerky.
    Jul 20: Leeds 10k - Andy W.
    Jul 20: Wohlf's birthday. Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 27: Wimbledon Common Half - Yer Maj.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Jul 30: Tinkerbel's birthday.
    Aug 2: Devil O' The Highlands - Kaz, Weedy. Round the Rock Ultra - Princess Fiona. Virgin London Tri - Wiola.
    Aug 18: Andy W's birthday.
    Aug 16: Coll Half - Eggy.
    Aug 23: Craggy Island Tri - Simon MacPerky.
    Aug 23-24: Hood to Coast Challenge -Danni.
    Sep 7: Cheltenham Half - O Rapid Run. Chippenham Half - Benign Murmurring. Great North Run - Andy W, Whackers.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday.
    Sep 13-14: Scotland Coast-to-Coast - Roger Reid.
    Sep 14: Cologne Half - Iain. Purbeck Marathon - Maxs Mum.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 21: Ladybower 50-miler - Booktrunk. Richmond Half - NGUG. Warrington Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 26: NGUG's birthday.
    Sep 28: Berlin Marathon - Whaqatac. Ealing Half - Jimbob. Loch Ness Marathon/10k/5k - Audrey, Booktrunk, Eggy, Helterskelter, Jokeybhoy, Kaz, Keyser Suze, Mr Keyser Suze, Running Rodent, Scott the Walker, Simon MacPerky, Suzy L, Tartan Pimpernel, Uisge Jo, Weedy. Paris 10k - ATM.
    Oct 4: Albuturkey trip: Eggy, Danni, Dark Vader, Iain, Tricky Dicky, Tinkerbel, Yer Maj.
    Oct 5: Blenheim Half - O Rapid Run, Roundman. Bournemouth Marathon - Run

• Options

...Oct 5: Blenheim Half - O Rapid Run, Roundman. Bournemouth Marathon - Run With The Wind. Brussels Marathon - Weedy. Cardiff Half - Defender Jo, Defender Ken. Chester Marathon - Kirsten Lancs Lass, This is Natty, Wrexham Rob.
    Oct 6: 1T's birthday.
    Oct 12: PF's birthday. Yorkshire Marathon - Andy W.
    Oct 13: Rach M in Aus's birthday.
    Oct 19: Abingdon Marathon - Chownsie, Jimbob, O Rapid Run, Stuchbury. Amsterdam Marathon - Hatter 88, KO, Lloyd R, NGUG, Spitfire. Denver Marathon: Orbutt. Duke City Marathon - Tinkerbel, Tricky Dicky. Great Birmingham Run - Leggy Mountbatten.
    Oct 26: Bois de Vincennes Half - ATM. Great South Run - Whackers. Marseilles-Cassis 20k - One Tit. Toulouse Marathon - Elizabeth E.
    Oct  28: Stort 30 - Emmy.
    Nov 2: Droitwich Half - Roundman. Leeds Rob's birthday. New York Marathon - Danni.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 8-9: Enigma Fireworks Double - Emmy, Weedy.
    Nov 9: Lytham 10k - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Nov 11: Valencia Marathon - Will Run For Food.
    Nov 23: Norwich Half - Keyser Suze, Mr Keyser Suze.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 30: Florence Marathon - Jellybum.
    Dec 1: James B's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiola's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Aaron's birthday, Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 3: Tartan Pimpernel's birthday.
    Feb 5-8: Quadzilla - Emmy, Weedy.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 28: Iain M's birthday.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday.
    Mar 13-15: Balmoral run training weekend - Tartan Pimpernel.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 12: Brighton Marathon - Lloyd R. Paris Marathon - Joe McBeth, Lieutenant McDuff, Hippie No1, Hippie No2, Hippie No3.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday.
    Apr 24: Audrey's birthday. Picklelily's birthday.

• Options

I dropped my car keys down a porta loo last year ! That really was a porta oops !! 

Not a pleasant experience image