Options

Another runner attacked

124»

Comments

• Options
    It's an interesting question - why stab a runner?

Surely we are the most inoffensive bunch of people, just getting on with our lives?

So what's the motivation? A have-not who hasn't got his life together and is jealous of those who have? A pervert?

Runners are an odd group to choose to target attacks on.

Blokes shouldn't assume we are safe, either. Be on your guard.

• Options
    cheers Pat and anon, for reassuring me that I'm not a nutter myself for wanting to protect myself! Anon - sounds pretty similar, I also carry a swiss army knife.

I don't think you can start looking for motivation; clearly the guy's not normal to start with. ThisisLondon.co.uk (Eve Standard website) said that the woman has not been identified but has been able to provide a description of the attacker.

There is v little forensic evidence - police are intending to stage a reconstruction:

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/8083277?source=Evening Standard

sorry, no time to work out the hyperlink business!!!
  • Options
    Wow! Steady on Ladies! Is carry a weapon really the answer?

Yes I know that's easy for a guy to say but statisically its Men aged 16-60 that are most a risk of a phyiscal attack and yes I know that its usually about Pub closing time that these attacks take place but if you take the carrying weapons agruement to its end we'd end up carrying guns around in case of attack wouldn't we?

I've had some jobs in the past that included having to walk around some very dodgy areas in London but have found as long as you apply some street sense like trying to look like a local and blend in, not walking around on your own late at night you can get by okay and be quite safe. Yes I know wearing running gear hardly blends in as most of it if anything makes us stnad out but I hope you get what I'm saying.

We have to take this in context, 2 runners have been attacked, one fatefully and that is a terrible thing but how many of us runners are out there on the streets and parks and how many of us have been attacked and I'm not including those by our four legged friends.

I'm all for doing anything that will make it safer for all of us to run but don't think carrying weapons is the answer.
  • Options
    I think this guy has some kind of hunting thing because I read that he might have attacked animals before.
    May be , what do I know! the fact that he attacks by surprise , from the back ..uhmm. Small people on the move, may be he get more exited by running after his prey
  • Options
    LindyLindy ✭✭✭
    Don't know if it's a good idea to mention this, but..

If you're determined to run alone.- It might be worth wearing a rucksack.-

If he likes attacking from behind, you might look less like a likely victim to him,- and It might actually offer some protection.
  • Options
    Just found this news update
    which is a little piece of good news.
  • Options
    Question: are runners now arming themselves with something?

I suggest we should.
  • Options

Can we open another thread on this? I think the runner in the park thread is getting slightly off track - and its important to us all.

I'm personally very concerned at the prospect of you guys arming yourselves.
  • Options
    I think that this should be a personal choice.
    It's not a question of not carrying weapons but a question of being sensible about it.
  • Options
    I would like to add my penny's worth on this subject. I am an angry runner, I just use strees to drive me rouond my 4 - 7 miles and I tend to see some drivers as selfish. Even driving in a car, we all see them. I had an instance just last night. I ran across a zebra crossing as there was a fair stream of traffic, I had waited for a gap between cars large enough to run through. At the point of just startig to cross, the car began to speed up. Now I stared not at the driver but just through the window, gestured (no fingers) and lipped what the??? Nothing else. The car slowed down, clocked me as I looked back. Now a further 2-300 yards down the road I heard screeching and wheelspins, this nutter was following me. He stopped next to me, whilst I ran, he chased me for about 20 footthe went back because he couldn't catch. Sped off in a wail of wheelspincame almost level to me at which point I just ran back leaving him with nowhere to turn. In hindsight it was a potentially dangerous situation from no (I think) incitement.
    I have had three instances in two weeks of this. All for running, so my advice is to possibly carry something.
    The recommendation I have was to carry papper dust or salt, in a fine dust. What can the police say if you are accosted and you use this as a mechanism of self defence. Please can we have a police view?
    Whay should we not be prepared for attacks when it seems to me to be happening too regulary to be ignored!
    Anyone please let me know your thoughts?
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    perhaps he recognised you from last time you expressed your anger?

:o/
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    ...and this is a three-year-old thread!
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    I think you may have a warped idea of what might be admired around here, jason...
  • Options
    I've not read all of the thread sorry as my eyes down to my knees, have been up with my daughter who is not well.

I wish the runner who was attacked a speedy recovery and the quicker the b*stard who did this is caught the better. I hate running in the winter nights. I run with my dog (who is soft as mud). One of my routes is a not very well lit main-ish road, which is tree lined as there is a wood behind it. There is only pavement on one side and 1/2 way along there is a set of steps coming out of the woodland. These steps freak me out. I didn't run that way tonight after I heard about the attack. To be honest although I live in the North East I still hate dark night running. I feel for everyone who runs in the London area where these attacks have taken place.

It really p**ses me off that you have to be afraid and look over your shoulder all the time. I Wish I could join a running club but hubbies shifts and 20 month old daughter, I don't have the time. Now thinking of trying to get to local wellbeing centre to use treadmill during the dark nights.

Stay safe ladies and gents.

• Options
    I think in my tired state I got wrong end of stick. Thought another person been attacked whilst out running. Hubby asked where I was running tonight as he said something about an attack, but I think I must have heard him wrong I was trying to get ready to go out. Still this path freaks me out. Am going to try get some sleep. May help my confused brain!!!
  • Options
    i think the thought of this crosses every runners mind when they go out, i always try to run around well populated area's which isnt often the case when on long runs, i always now take my mobile with me, and now that i am at the state in my running that i can actualy talk when running call my wife every twenty minutes or half an hour to let her know where i am. also tell her the route i am taking and what time i should be back.

It's hard this time of year as most people work during daylight hours and return or go to work in the dark.
  • Options
    This three year old thread is well and truly rejuvenated!

• Options
    just expect people to be morons... be passive.. dont even react.