Options

SIG Insulation Sheffield Half Marathon

Comments

• Options

if the race starts at 9pm. then surely on a race this size the water would have been delivered yesterday ready to be put out early tomorrow.......

unbelievable

• Options

At the Reading half that I did a few years ago -householders  set up stalls outside there homes with water , jelly babies and even at some you could use there loos !!!

• Options

exactly my thoughts seren.

• Options

I've helped organise lots of races and water is always planned way in advance even for small 5k races, there are no excuses here !

• Options

The water situation should have been checked and re checked long before the race start.

• Options
    As a race organiser of smaller events from 50 up to 500 runners I make sure that the water is delivered 5days before because and give one person the job of putting it out on race morning. I helped on the Preston guild marathon and half and I was out at 7am setting up and making sure the water was there so for me the council or the company that has put this event together should give a refund of some sort. This is one of the problems faced in running with companies putting runs on just for profit and don't give a toss about the runner, but people keep on paying the big prices to these people while club run events suffer. I hope the people who entered get some compensation or a free entry to another event. If you need a half marathon to run try the new valiants half on the 19th april the closing date is today but the entry limit is 500 and they only have 125 in so far all the best Alan T.
  • Options

Video of the announcement being made at the start now up on the BBC site. Very funny to see people just shrug and head off anyway.

Well done to the runners that carried on regardless, having been stood around in the cold for up to an hour beforehand.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-26910318

• Options

I was in a water controversy race about 10 years ago.... the infamous Blackpool Marathon when the hottest ever day in june (or something like it) co-incided with the organisers losing a couple of pallets of water. It was unfortunate,and this incident possibly did represent a H&S issue for those at the back.

The race did go ahead, without any communication to runners whatsoever about the situation.  ... but in the post race finger pointing the organisers became outrageously defensive, blaming the otherwise non-plussed leading runners of drinking/using too much water.

I reckon these poor bods who put on races will crumble under pressure as ultimately they are very well meaning volunteers and amateurs - or chancers with no real idea what they are doing.

Still can't help thinking the police, with their experience, should have been able to easily rescue the situation - had they wanted to.

• Options

What chaos at the start, but decided to carry on anyway as I was running with a friend who was doing her first half marathon. The first couple of miles was very subdued as people didn't know what was happening, none of the usual fun atmosphere.

But the supporters were brilliant, handing out water they had bought themselves, runners sharing water, the cheering and support on Ecci Road was better than ever, and I will definitely run my local race again, and just to add I much preferred the finish at the Don Valley Bowl as families could get close to their relatives as they cheered them home.

Thanks to the marshals etc for sticking with it,

The water suppliers should be named and shamed though!!

• Options

On New Years Day I was challenged to do this run and having not had a beer for 3 months you can imagine I was flipping gutted when they said race was off so when people in front just setoff I followed. Just kept going and thanks to the locals for handing out drinks. Got round and was really happy with my time but guess it doesn't count seeing as the race was cancelled ?

Organasation was a shambles and those involved should be named and shamed

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

If it was a profit making organisation that organised  this I would want a full refund!!

• Options

What a fiasco, I presume everyone will be refunded.

• Options
    I ran this today, knocking 10 minutes off my pb, locals were great for handing out water, or spectators just giving there own drinks if they were asked. We stood 45 minutes waiting for it to start with no information, but it did get back to some of us that it was officially cancelled, however most ran it anyway. Despite this I thought the atmosphere and support around the course was much better than last year. I did see one irate driver having a go and a scuffle with a Marshall at around mile 2 for the road closures. I had a great time, and felt quite emotional.
  • Options

Well done you run rebels but shame on Sheff. We were near SUFC handing out jelly babies!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a right shambles from the organisers. Surely you would want all the water on site at least 24 hrs before the start to give you the opportunity to go to plan b and get supplies from a supermarket.

Is it wrong to assume that they should have a contingency plan for things like this?
  • Options
    It amazes me how a mistake by the organisers, surely the water should have been in a secure place well in advance, turns into a police bashing thread! How were the police responsible for this?
  • Options

Loz it's a fact that the Police thought about stopping the race with road blocks. 

Guess that would be vehicles or line of police either way glad someone high up came to their senses in time, can only imagine what would have happened if they had tried to stop 4000 runners.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Yep a lot of sore noses. 

• Options

I guess the organisers had no choice - don't UKA rules specify that there must be water stations every x miles? If that couldn't be guaranteed then the race presumably had to be cancelled. But then once it was, the participants just became a large group of people out for a Sunday morning run, and the police had no business trying to stop them.

• Options
    Not gonna get into an argument but as the race was cancelled this presumably meant that the roads would then be open. The Police would have a duty of care to ensure that runners did not end up in traffic I would have thought. I'm no expert though. None the less surely the water should have been in place at the EIS days before then moved on the morning.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Knowing that 4000 people were still running regardless the easiest option for the police was just to leave everything as it was,. 

• Options
    Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Common sense going out the window there then, the roads would have been close anyway so why bother opening when they knew there were thousands out there running.

• Options
    Loz wrote (see)
    Not gonna get into an argument but as the race was cancelled this presumably meant that the roads would then be open.

Probably not. The Roads are closed for a set period of time. I'm pretty sure it is slightly more involved than just declaring them open again.

• Options

snake-hips wrote (see)

What a fiasco, I presume everyone will be refunded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-26920499

Don't think this news is going to go down well.

• Options
    candomustdo wrote (see)

Bumped to top in the hope this one continues to be the main thread rather than the one recently created.......

Does it matter ? Jeez.

The other one is about the only thread Karen's ever created that's topical and about running, I think people should be encouraged to post on it.

• Options
    I just heard that too..... This one could run on for a while.
  • Options

How do you `bump` a thread? image

And what`s a `thread`? image

• Options
    Type "boing" in the comment box and post it on the relevant thread. A thread is a "thread" of conversation.

/geek alert
  • Options

"as people will appreciate, the infrastructure we had to put in place we still have to pay for"

Bit of a pisstake when the failing of the infrastructure is what caused the cancellation...

Is it just me, or the fact that the organsiers haven't named the water supplier (which would divert a lot of the negative publicity away from them) a little odd. I have a suspicion it is not all as they claim...