Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭
    Loving the race reports sounds like another fantastic day out round our favorite mountain. Looking forward to the tv program tonight.

Well done everyone x

PS. 2015 thread started ready for next year image
  • Options

Well done to all who took part this year image

I was disappointed to miss it due to a niggling posterior tibialis issue; thought it better not to risk it. Did a half on the road yesterday, a few sharp shooting pains towards the end and looking forward to getting out in the mountains tomorrow, weather permitting (high winds, looking dodgy!) 

Looking forward to doing Marathon Eryri next year though, try and stop me!

• Options

the official finish info for anyone who hasn't seen it yet: http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/race-results.php?event=1805 

spent the morning in the production offices and programme is looking good. Such a pity we only have an hour as we have to miss out so much of what we filmed BUT two stars at least to watch out for - John Bach and Ultra Disco Stu! image 

• Options
    Was on target for a sub 4, hitting targets at 10km, half marathon and 30km, but derailed at 32km when ligament in left knee went. Took some Ibuprofen, walked for four miles and hobbled the last two for a 4:39. Awesome event though
  • Options

I was n for sub 4 too but final hill buggered me over. Came in at 4.11. Ran to the finish with my Welsh flag over my head. Great race

• Options
    Fame and fortune await John and Stu !! Snod 2015 forum open for business..let's bring on the next 12 months of lunacy.Is it too early for a list Trex????
  • Options

Thought I would crack 4 hours but seemed to fade between 16 and 21 miles then picked up again.  I did not walk up the last hill  ,but did stop at the 26 mile marker with cramp in my right calf.

Came in 4.12. Well done to one and all and yes it was a great day out.

Would liked to have met you all but ended up running around sorting things out. 

• Options

hmmm - watch closely then - I think we've caught more of you than I thought!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Hate to correct you, Stu, but the idea of the double didn't involve returning for breakfast! The idea was to run a reverse route of the course, aiming to get to the start for 10.30, whereon we would turn around image

• Options

Hi guys, fantastic day, first marathon and its left its mark - in more ways than one. Like a few above, happy and on for a sub four until mile 20 then the wheels truly fell off with cramps in both legs like i have never felt before, 20 minutes for the last mile! Anyway dragged myself over in 4 hours 30ish, had a word with and decided that you don't just put a coaster out for yourself, you need a set.

Was supposed to be watching the S4C coverage in Prenteg but the TV mast is off so will have to try and get to later.

Well done everyone!

• Options

programme will be on again at 7pm and don't forget you can watch it after that (every day for 35 days!) on s4c.co.uk/clic image

• Options

Sir John A lot, you sir are on the TV  towards the end carrying the flag over the line. 

• Options

Yep, just seen it. Glad the didn't catch me 30 seconds later when I was lying on the grass, cramped to buggery

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭
    Great program as usual well done Fish, though can it be on for 2 hours to show more of the runners further back next year pleaseimage

Thought the mention of JB's dad was lovely.

Roll on 2015 image
  • Options
    I might be on telly once again.

The camera quad bike was filming Alun Vaughn and solitary running opponent at 4.1 miles except i had decided to go off full of confidence and was race leader for over half an hour.

It's probably the first time and last time i will have led Europe's toughest marathon.

I reached Pen Y Pass in just over 33 min , shame i could not have continued that pace to the finish.

Never mind, at least i collected coaster number 19 and completed race number 20.

Cannot wait till 2015, its got a magnetism that is addictive.

Forget about the shattered abused body struggling to walk in a straight line the day after the race.

2015 CANNOT COME SOONER BRING IT ON.
  • Options

I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a tear during the wonderful S4C coverage. Great to see that it again captured everything that is great about the event - the atmosphere/camaradarie amongst the runners, the awesome support from those watching the race and the sheer beauty of the race!!

Sorry PJL, but you should be ashamed to say you reached the Pen y Pass in just over 33 minutes - as you indicate, you started the race (well) before 10.30am - as also evidenced by the absence of chip timing (and based on what other runners, who passed you, told me!)

• Options
    massivemassive ✭✭✭
    What a fantastic experience! Absolutely loved my first marathon and chuffed to bits with my time of 3.55. Echoing what others have said - the organisation and support is second to none. The atmosphere at Bedgellert gave me goosebumps!.....and the kids at the bottom of the last hill, even opening the gel satchets!amazing!
  • Options
    massivemassive ✭✭✭
    Will never forget my first (not last!) SNOD experience. Couldn't help feeling a bit sad leaving the hotel this morning, it's practically all I've thought about since new years eve. I'll be back though!Amazing!
  • Options

weird thing about cramp this year - a number of us have worked on the highlights show for years, and none of us have ever seen or heard of so many runners cramping up on this race before - always some of course, but this year many, many more. I had to help a few 'wobblers' myself whilst working on the line. 

I always say I wish it could be longer too Chrissie - we can only do what S4C commission us to do.image

• Options

Sure it's something f you've asked them, but if they dumped the repeat at 7, couldn't they get the 2nd hour there ?

Thanks for the flag clip. 1st and only time I'll be shown on the finishing highlights : )

Fantastc show

• Options

it was supposed to be the first showing at 7pm, but on Friday they told us they wanted to show the whole thing at 5pm too - so we had to get it done earlier than usual. Turning one two-hour or two one-hour shows around that quick would certainly be a challenge! 

Glad you're enjoying it though - we do our best!

• Options
    You had a great start Peter. You must have been flying up the passimage
  • Options

Absolutely. Thought it'd might be something like that. My 1st Snod, it really captured the majesty and beauty of the race. 

• Options
    fish

Thanks for only showing a few seconds of me shaking on the floor at the end of the raceimage
  • Options

see, I knew there'd be a few people I hadn't spotted before (and I've seen the footage a fair few times today!) - but have to point out my job doesn't include editorial control! image

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'm home after an interesting day.  In fact the whole weekend was brilliant.  8th coaster now on the mantelpiece.

Although some of you - especially at the sharp end! - are a bit reticent to share your finish time it does appear that most forumites posting so far achieved their targets, and quite comfortably in some cases.

Sadly I was one who didn't, and it was mighty uncomfortable.  A very similar story to MTri in actual fact. (I would say 'snap!' but in the circumstances an unfortunate expression!)

I felt a twinge on the inside of my right my knee coming through Beddgelert which passed, but then cam back with a vengeance about mile 19.  I was obliged to walk. Could just about shuffle uphill but the pain on the level, and especially downhill, was excruciating.  So I walked the best part of 7 miles.  I had been on target for 4:10 but eventually crossed the line in 4:41.  Folks such as Katherine Preston, Buxton Sprocket, and rodger dodger 2 would have overtaken me on the mountainside hobbling along.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Stayed in a cottage half way up the slate quarry with BritNick, Ultra Disco Stu, and Chimney.  What a great bunch of people.  We got on fine.

To get to this cottage, I need to tell you, it was either a 5-mile drive into Llanberis or a strenuous hill walk through some woods, a zig-zag path cutting right across a scree slope of slate, and then through more woods to the power station access road.  Arriving late on Friday I had to find this path myself in the dark, but it was OK, and getting back up Friday night wasn't too bad although BritNick set a blistering pace up there.

It made a great warm up run coming down on race morning for the four of us but the trek back up to shower and change after a meal at Pete's Eats was something else.  The toil up that hill after a difficult marathon and a bad knee is something I'll remember for a long time.  It's a very steep trail, in the steepest places with steps. It helped ease the pain by counting these steps, and I made in 372 in all.

A hour so later it was back down again for a forumite meet up at The Heights, the main bar of the Padarn Lake being closed again.  I think we'll give up on that place. Sorry more of you couldn't make it.

After an extensive amount of rehydration I heard myself say I would accompany BN back up to the cottage for some 'fresh air'.  That's 1488 steps up and down in one day. A whole lot of tourist erosion going on with that path, and that's just with us four!!

A lift with Chimney in the morning made a change and we went for a couple of fab coffees at Y Pantri, meeting jason d and Pete T again.

Everyone else was going home it seemed, but I had time on my hands so I went for a walk.

Possibly one of my most epic walks in recent times.  Not very far and I was only out about 3 hours but where I went in that time I'm not sure anyone, even those from the mad ultra cottage, would have followed.

I'll relate the tale perhaps tomorrow, but sufficient for now to state that it was possibly the most extreme environment that Snowdonia Snail's flapjacks have ever been eaten in in all his catering career ..

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Agree with jason, there.  I thought the plan for SNOD 52.4 in 2016 - what a mad idea - must have been hatched in a pub - was a group of us bimbling around the course the opposite direction, aiming to get to the race start area not too long before the start.

We'd have to go at the pace of the slowest so would mean starting about 0530 -0600?

We'd need some kind person to offer logistic support about 1000, if not earlier around the course, with kit bags and stuff we'd need for the race itself.

Could all be sorted nearer the time, of course, but even in the cold light of day the idea seems to have merit.  A double dose of camaraderie.

2015 is being target by several folks for a course best attempt.

• Options

Trail Marathon Wales 2015 entered.

Anyone else done it ?

http://www.trailmarathonwales.com

• Options
    I just thought that breakfast might entice a few more people JD. But I'm absolutely fine with the turnaround image

Enjoyed my 1 second of fame last night on the highlights. I didn't see the posts here before so it came as a great surprise when my youngest 6yrs shouted "there's Daddy!"

JPL - it was me who you spoke to on the path down after the pass. It was a surprise! Your earlier post was I'm sure done in humour and not in fact actually claiming you ran 33mins up the pass. I wondered what the leaders thought as they passed you. Glad you had a better run than last year and hopefully if you can stay injury free and don't try to change any alloys the week before 2015 race then you can start the race 'proper' with the rest of us.