Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Thanks chaps for all the advice - much appreciated by this Snowdonia virgin.

I normally aim for 8.30-8.40 pace until I tire around 20 miles but I'm going to potter around at 9 min miles I think. Take in the scenery, dig in uphill and not get carried away on the descents.

The miles are in the legs I suppose. I trained hard for Berlin (no flaming hills there!!) three weeks ago and then did 13.1 on Sunday.

A mate of mine though who ran five or six Snowdonia marathons before his knees packed up said he walked everyone at some point. And he could run around the 3 hour mark. That's what scares me.

• Options
    The weather has certainly turned much cooler, ive just returned from Capel Curig this afternoon and it was drizzling and 11C.

If it had been last weekend i would certainly have gone down the vest and shorts route, maybe even wearing my original 1995 race kit but it's certainly wrapping up time.

The forecast is changing every day with now a 60% chance of rain on the day.

Getting wet at 17 miles onwards in very cool conditions may lead to a DNF with Bwlch Y Groes quarry certainly much cooler than the rest of the course.

It's Helly Hansen short sleeved top for me and my lite weight fully waterproof top.

I am not sure about what to wear on my legs, possibly shorts or loose fitting lycras.

It's quite annoying, last weekend would have been too warm and now with wind and rain forecast unpleasant if one takes the wrong kit along for the journey.

I will make my mind up tomorrow night but only the brave or very fast (sub 3.30 runners ) would just risk vest and shorts in such changeable conditions.

They say 10-11C is the perfect conditions for Marathon running, the world record of 2.02.57 set a few weeks ago in Berlin was done in 8C dry weather.

It's not going to be dry and it's quite possible it might be as cool as 8C on Saturday morning.

Choice of kit is not going to be easy for some of us.
  • Options

Very tricky to select the right kit indeed...

I think I'm going to go for my short sleeve Ronhill thermal base layer along with my club vest over the top. Then just the usual shorts. 

I've tried running in waterproof tops but as i'm already a very, very heavy sweater, putting on a waterproof layer tends to lead to rapid salt deficiency and cramps - no matter how many electrolytes I can take in!

• Options

As I'll be standing round Llanberis all day 'working', I've been watching the forecasts this week too - funny, on one it's got wetter (for Saturday) since Monday and on another it's got dryer.

Since my only dilemma is 'fluffy hat' or 'souwester' (the orange hi-vis goes on regardless), I don't envy the choice you guys are going to be faced with!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

For those of you looking for a breeze running down the long hill into Beddgelert, you'll get one.  Forecast is for a 21mph headwind (again).

Doesn't seem to be rain forecast which is a tad unusual.

Get well soon, brer.

• Options

HH top under a club vest with shorts, carrying a bum bag with a windproof jacket and some gels.

All of the above are subject to change between now and 30 secs before the start.

• Options

as Mokshaeight says ..HH top under a club vest with shorts, carrying a bum bag with a windproof jacket and some gels.

All of the above are subject to change between now and 30 secs before the start

• Options

2:53

• John Bach

3:15

• running eye  1st SNOD!

3:29

• Greg C.
    • #163 Ultra Disco Stu

3:45

• Lemmy

3:50

• #1569 The Lazy Greyhound
    • #1742 Chimney

3:58

• #1230 Fenland Runner

3:59

• InsideForward
    • Ivan Lyons  1st SNOD!
    • #2847 McHilly
    • #1548 Mokshaeight

4:05

• David McKibben 

4:10

• #643  eastendrunner  1st SNOD!
    • Gringo WBA   5th SNOD
    • #1310  T Rex   8th SNOD

4:15  

• #688  BritNick
    • Buxton Sprocket
    • massive
    • Proven Robbie W  1st SNOD!
    • Sir John a Lot  1st Marathon!!

4:29

• Gloshawk
    • #223  Lawrence Bromley  1st SNOD!
    • rodger dodger 2

4:49

• Katherine Preston  1st SNOD!
    • #1491  King Kenny  2nd SNOD

4:59

• wrexham rob hopefully 4:59 or less, 3rd Snowdonia
    • Peter John Lewis
    • #162 Rogue

Others

• Ali D71  1st marathon!!
    • brer rabbit  39th marathon in 2014
    • cougie
    • LoveEndures
    • mouser12
    • #514 mr panad
    • MTri
    • Nurse Gladys
    • #2652 panad
    • phill in fitter  4th SNOD
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • #1447  Run Jono  44th marathon in 2014 
    • super ally

• An Other Half
    • Bella bee
    • Bristol303
    • Chrissi
    • Dave Amo
    • Emma Amor
    • Gaz OC
    • Gurj Dulai
    • jason d?
    • Goldstone
    • koiboy
    • Mr2
    • Steven Tabor
    • Wabo
  • Options

Struggling a bit tonight TRex, legs have gone a bit wobbly, early night and fingers crossed for quick recovery over next 2 days.

Kit for me-shorts, shirt, arm warmers, trainers, gel belt with Montane coat tied around it, Welsh Dragon headscarf, several layers of pairs of cheap gloves to be discarded in bins on the way and a massive cheap second hand shop coat to wear before start..to be discarded at the last minute. I'm a Hobbit, I need maximum warmth at the start but need to be able to off-load the gear, as and when I need to. AND, hopefully a big smile for the TV cameras, you are all being filmed for S4C coverage!!!

• Options

I've lost my mojo with respect to running, it will 'just' be a day out with a magnificent route and atmosphere.

• Options

Get well soon Brer - hopefully you'll have enough time to throw it off before Saturday.

Roger - the Snowdonia Parc is definitely a brew-pub, and it also brews on behalf of another brewery too. 

• Options

Good luck to everyone running this weekend.   Wish I could be there with you all, but I know I've made the right decision to pull out and I've made another runner very happy with my place image

From a spectating point of view, my hubby and friends have always driven up to the Llanberis Pass before the road closes to watch the race from where it goes off road at Pen Y Gwryd (watch where you park though - a lot of the roads around there are clearway and there's no parking or it's pay to park, even on the verges and the traffic wardens will be out in force!).   Once we've gone past (slow, so most of field will have gone through!) they drive on to Rhydd ddu to "refresh" at the pub, whilst we go past, then they drive on down to Waunfawr.  After that, it's a quick hop over to Llanberis via Ceunant to see us cross the finish line.   I think if you just watch the start from Llanberis and then go to Snowdonia Parc pub (great though it is!), you'll have a lot of waiting around without much to see.

Have fun, folks!  Will be thinking of you image

• Options

More good helpful tips - thanks very much to everyone. I will be definitely making a visit to the Snowdonia Parc after the race clutching my slate coaster like gold.

Okay, last question I promise, about directions. Say Mrs D watches me start in Llanberis, then hops into the car and drives to Beddgelert in the opposite direction that we run (heading south along the A4085 going past the Parc). Is she then stuck or can she go back along the A4085 north heading towards the pub and Waunfawr as we run in the same direction. Or will the the road be closed completely to traffic  by then for the benefit of us athletes!!!?

• Options

the pass is the only road closed on the day (from 10am), and that's only while the race starts and a 'rolling road block' following the runners up to Pen y Gwryd.

All other roads are fully open, so all runners, spectators and drivers all need to be extra alert! image

There is also a small diversion in place in Waunfawr (although the Ceunant road will be useable albeit via the diversion) and the Llanberis High Street will be closed from the Capel Coch road to the bypass for the duration of the race.

• Options

I thought the road was closed one way last year (in the direction of the runners) until a car overtook me , which woke me up a bit. 

Parked up in the big car park opposite the Mountain Railway last year, does anyone know if you can leave then re-enter without paying again ?  (provided it isn't full of course)

• Options
    I can't see why not if you buy an all day ticket and keep it. It was ??4 last Sunday when I was there.
  • Options

No training today so a bit bored.   So would the marathon be " Faster " if ran the other way round !!!!

• Options

Last visit here before setting off for our digs in Beddgelert. I wish everyone a successful and enjoyable day round the mountain. Hope to bump into a few of you on Sat and hear the tales on here next week. Happy SNODDing!  

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Yes, Good Luck everyone on Saturday image

Hopefully see some of you in Llanberis or on the course..

(will probably be at registration around 530 ish tomorrow)
  • Options
    Good luck everyone
  • Options

Well, we are nearly there gang. Cold is still lingering so my target is to just arrive, trot and enjoy image  Good luck everyone, I'm off to my caravan in Waunfawr tomorrow lunchtime, see all in Y Pantri at 6pm for a shot of the finest caffeine in North Wales.

Quick msge for John Bach! Smash it on Saturday buddy, I know how much it means to you image

• Options
    Hey all! I've spent today in misty but warm Llanberis Looking forward to seeing all @Pantri. Am I able to subtract the 3 miles I ran this morning from the marathon? I guess I'll use it as my long run.

Sleep well tonight, everyone.
  • Options
    Those of you doing the marathon for the first time and wanting to know where your folks can park to offer encouragement and possibly something else, Bettws Garmon is the perfect place.

It's two miles down the road from Waunfawr and just about where the race gets really tough and challenging.

Bettws Garmon has enough parking space for enough cars so congestion is never an issue, and it's a short distance from the Snowdon Ranger Youth Hostel.

Having done the race so many times it's somewhere near The Snowdon Ranger and Bettws Garmon where the race really starts to hurt.

If you need encouragement or performance enhancing DRU, Sweets then it's in those three miles where you will need it.
  • Options
    Good luck everyone, first SNOD very excited ...... currently in Chester having driven down from Durham then across to Llanberis tomorrow, typical women still deciding what to wear on Saturday will wait until the forecast on the morning I think!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone it's been a big help????
  • Options
    Good evening all.

Thanks for the Pantri list. We have decided not to do the buffet option due to lack of interest but will have a few additional items on in the evening as well as the day menu to include Vegetarian Lasagne, Welsh Beef Curry (not sure the runners will want this one Friday night lol), Creamy Pasta, Vegetarian and Non vegetarian.

See you tomorrow.

SS
  • Options
    Y Pantri list, Friday evening Suggest about 1800?

T Rex - vegetarian

Chimney - buffet/meal easy

Run Juno - buffet/meal easy

Mrs RJ

BritNick - chai latte

Sir John a Lot - pasta

brer rabbit - coffee

UDS - chai latte (the best ever!!) and CAKE image
  • Options
    Hoka update - it's with huge relief that I went out on my second run in new shoes and they felt completely different to the first. Clearly I had done them up too tight which was causing the rubbing on the back of my foot done them bit looser now and they are much better HOORAY!! So watch out as I storm the downhills as I won't be holding back. They are going to be great on the rocky flint filled 1 mile track a little bit after the top of the first pass.

Good luck everyone and see you in town perhaps. I'll wear Union Jack buff on head!
  • Options

Got tomorrow off work, probably heading down from Stockport mid morning. Get to lodgings, get to registration and relax. 

My mobile is 07793214129 if anyone needs to get hold of me for meeting up for Y Pantri.

see you tomorrow. Very excited

John

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

2:52

• John Bach

3:15

• running eye  1st SNOD!

3:29

• #163 Ultra Disco Stu
    • Greg C.

3:45