Options

Garmin Forerunner

Comments

• Options
    the man mandelson couldn't silence

As long as your Mac does not have a new G5 processor Tracklogs, Anquet and Memory Map should all run on a Mac using Virtual PC, but Virtual PC does not work with the latest G5 processor, and will not until Microsoft release a new version of Virtual PC sometime next year.
  • Options
    Well come on you lot! How did Garmin Gizmo Geek Day go?

Did you all record the same distance?
  • Options
    Thanks Richard much appreciated. i I've requested a demo from Tracklogs so I'll give it a try when it arrives. My imac and laptop are both G3 processors so it should be OK
  • Options
    I have stuck a race report in events but have saved the real detail for this thread.
    I was in Whitefield for the After Christmas 5.
    Initially it was tricky to get a full signal, but I realised this was probably down to the steep tree covered slope next to where I was standing. Once I had moved into the big open car park it was fine. I didn't steel a lot of glances at the watch during the run as it was muddy and I needed to look where I was going. But I first checked the distance at 1.86 miles. Subsequent checks always gave a reading in spite of moving in and out of tree cover.
    At what the marshalls reckoned was halfway the Garmin read 2.56 so I was quite impressed. However I can'r quite figure out how short the course was- the Garmin read 4.16 but I felt it might be nearer to 4 and a half- who cares though, there was no kidding myself I was "nearly there" at 2 and a half miles which is good enough for me.

Come on geeks where are your reports?
  • Options

Gotta be quick coz am at parents for one night only!!!

Raced Southwell 10k in Nottinghamshire today . . lovely race btw . . Garmin recorded the course as being 10.08k which is pretty much bang on . . and until the last 2k I kept the pace very even by virtue of paying attention to the SLOW DOWN warnings. I'd switched the SPEED UP ones off as they'd annoyed me intensely the other day and anyway I know when I'm struggling thank you!

Course was measured in miles and I'd calibrated for k's so couldn't check, not that I really needed to.

Anyone else?
  • Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Note also that, if I'm correct a BARR classed race will be measured at 1% over (to account for any error or corner cutting) so your 10K should actually have measured 10.10k - now that IS close.
  • Options
    Ordered mine today. Now if I can just shake off this hip flexor injury I might be able to use it in anger :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I've got a stonker of a cold which is very distressing for a new GF owner.
  • Options
    I think someone (Higs ?) needs to sort some commission out, 'cos that's another GF just ordered on the strength of this thread :-)
  • Options
    I used mine for a fell run. The auto pause came on as I struggled up one hill so slowly, that the machine thought I had stopped. It took me about 3 mins to get up the slope and the machine resumed when I reached more reasonable ground at the top.

I switched off the auto pause and no problems with the second and third lap.

I get a lot of messages about weak GPS signals (particularly in the woods) but this does not seem to affect the distance or time measurement, but can throw the pace out.

• Options
    I noticed today on my "6 miles easy off-road" 1st day of London schedule that the weak signal message doesn't always come on under trees but rather some insulting notion of what pace you are doing- it had me logged at 36 min miles at one point - I know I was doing easy running but...

That said not accounting for the discrepancies in the woods it had my 6 mile route logged at 5.74, so pretty good really. I don't need spot on accuracy for those kind of runs anyhow. What is good is that at a glance you can see if you are running too fast- too easy to do during a recovery run.

I like the idea of using the warning for running too fast- that could have saved my London Marathon in the first 3 miles last April.
  • Options
    Yes I've noticed the current pace does jump around a bit occasionally too.

Is this to do with the "pace smoothing" setting - mine is unchanged at "MORE" ??
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Just read this thread and web reviews. Very tempting.....

Maybe I overlooked the reference, but does anyone know when Garmin are expected to release a model with an HRM?
  • Options
    got to use mine for the first time today - sadly, my run was hijacked and became a family walk so it wasn't really a true test of the capabilities! 2.18 miles in 54.36 mins which sounds about right - we fed a lot of ducks.

just found out about the too slow/too fast warnings - they look pretty useful. Obviously didn't get a chance to use them today...

Roll on tomorrow, and our return home!
  • Options
    Used mine on a 10 miler yesterday. Its slightly deflating to find that my car speedometer mile marks are about 20 meters short (and I'm even slower than I thought). Not quite got the hang of all the functions yet - started off with the virtual partner, but when scrolling through the data displays after about a mile couldn't find it again (although I found out after 10 miles that I'd won!). Anyone know what I did wrong?
  • Options
    Not used the training partner yet- I am not ready for that kind of humiliation.

Snail it would have been funny if you did set the training partner, even if just for 15 min miles (decent walking pace) then you could shout out orders to your parents to get a move on, guaranteeing you future runs and walks entirely alone with just your Garmin.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Did 10 miles with Forerunner tonight along country lanes. During one half mile section I got 3 'weak GPS signal' warnings on the display. There were no buildings, no trees and very low hedges. The sky was cloudless. After that I got a dodgy (too fast) reading for the next mile reached.

1: Anyone know why there should be a weak signal in perfect conditions?

2: What does the Forerunner do when it is having trouble picking up a signal? Does it temporarily freeze or does it assume you have continued in a straight line? It is slightly annoying that this question is not answered either in the instructions or on Garmin's website.

I am new to GPS so if anyone can help I would be most grateful.
  • Options
    Used mine for a half marathon distance today - out and back - I turned round at exactly half way and it flipped to 13.1 just as I got back to the car so it is at least consistent. Didn't get any weak signals except when I ran through a railway tunnel.

I thought the pace warning bleeps were a little quiet - just about loud enough for a solo run but I imagine as I sweep through the London marathon in the lead that the cheers of the crowd might drown them out.

Can someone save me the trouble of looking at the manual and tell me if it's worth me looking at the map function - I can see it makes a dotted line on the screen but what do I use that for?

Overall pretty pleased with it - it kept my mile splits fairly even - I had the warnings set 6.40 and something like 7.30 - and there were times I was surprised to be going too fast and others I was surprised to be going too slow - so it really is going to help with even splits in races.
  • Options
    Oooh... post number 200!

Do you mind me telling you how boring this thread is?

I read it avidly every day and yet... and yet...

I still can't join in.

Mrs Waap's entreaty to resolve to save money in 2004 is looking more and more likely to go up in flames the more you guys go on about this lovely toy.

Thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Wardi - it assumes a straight line

Popsider - I don't think the map function's up to much. Maybe when the transfer s/w comes out?

Waapster - you can join in when you've got one.
  • Options
    Hi recieved mine today on charge at the mo,has anyone used the Tracklogs mapping that came with it,not to sure as to what to do with it
  • Options
    Has anyone had any problems registering with Garmin. I bought mine from GPS warehouse and Garmin are telling me it does not have a valid serial number. The machine appears to work ok.

• Options
    Mine has arrived today....or rather it hasn't as I missed the postman and it is down at he sorting office! I'll be collecting it soon, so I'll report back my impressions after my first run with it tomorrow :-)
  • Options
    Postman brought me a birthday present this morning - just about to go and set it charging :)
  • Options
    Thats 3 of us today ,mine is still charging
  • Options
    Mines charged up ready for tonights mile reps, can't wait to see how slow I am these days.
  • Options
    Just done a 2 mile HR test run would love to have used it to measure the 2 but needed to use the pulse monitor
  • Options
    It sounds bloody wonderful but does it work on a treadmill?
  • Options
    Just registered mine on the garmin site- when is the software out then?
  • Options
    Software available Jan 04 allegedly.

Dunno what it'll do apart from provide some sort of download to the pc and then enable us to review our "history" on screen.

Though maybe there'll be some sort of route creation/download/updoad functionality?