Options

Pirate Race Team

Comments

• Options
    Quite a good flounce from Flyers above tooimage I don't think anyone called you those things, I believe all those comments were aimed at the concept of sponsorship of the pirates, and not at speedy people per se.

Going back to Fegans original post, there were two aims you stated.

Aim 1 was about leveraging the group commercially. Most people seem not keen on that.

Aim 2 was about a coaching resource potentially open to all. Done in a non commercial way, can't see why anyone would object. Perhaps if we separate the two, further flounces can be prevented!

Although flounces do make better television. image
  • Options

Ha ha Fegan yes.  That lady seems to be protesting too much.

OK Ken as you are obviously astonished that somebody can entertain such an idea, here is the background.  I only do running since 2006, so as that rather precludes doing an Ironman I had nothing to do with the pirates.  However Oxy persuaded me to turn up in 2007 and 2008, promising a good booze up.

At both of those several different people (who I was about to describe as bell ends but at least one is in this thread so would lead to more flouncing, so I won't image) said something like "how do you feel having been instrumental in creating this great thing".  Which was putting way too much reverence into what was essentially an excuse for a piss up, and to piss off "serious triathletes" who were considerably further up their own arses in 2003 than they can be now.  So "ambivalent"

More recently, (most recently at oxy's wedding a few months ago) the occasionally asked but repeated question stopped being the above, but started being "what do you think about that guy who made money out of the pirates by writing a book about it".  Probably got asked that 4 times by different people.  My response: don't care, it was bound to happen that somebody would do that eventually, but why should it matter to anybody else?  So I was vaguely aware of the existence of some book that I didn't care about.  

Then one day I looked at this forum, which doesn't happen regularly, and said chap had started a thread giving details of how people on the forum could buy his book.  

whether you like the person or not, it's hard to argue with my conclusion above that money was being made from the prates.  The thread wasn't about offering tjem free copies!  And that falls squarely within my admittedly broad definition of a dick.

so yes "really".  and the pompous flouncy response "please leave my book out of this" just cemented my view.

but why does it matter if I think he's a dick?  Never met him, never will, and no interest in giving him any money.  Or aren't we allowed to have opinions any more?

i've been called a dick, a twat, a troll and a nazi on this forum.  Plus no doubt many other things.  Feel free to call me any of those.  I won't flounce, argue about it or care, though.  Or respond, most likely, giving you this much of an explanation has already stretched my boredom threshhold to breaking point

• Options

So yes "seriously".  Not so yes "really".

just to address the precise form of your incredulity image

• Options

I do miss this palce sometimes - especially when my old play friends show up - where's Oxy to realy stick the boot in?

• Options

Candy, you are a bit of dickimage

Wouldn't go as far as twat, troll or nazi though. image

Hope that helps. Been on sick leave all week, quite enjoying this return to foruming, will be sad to go back to w**k again next week lol.

• Options

Oxy needs to be watching re-runs of The Office.  Especially Finchy's pearls of wisdom, like "One up the bum, no harm done"

• Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

Candy,

I just thought it was a little harsh.

nobody seriously beleives the picture of him in pirate kit on his books made people buy his book do they?

• Options

Twat was when i convinced some people that london marathon had changed its start time.  I would have thought "dick" and "troll" more appropriate for that one.  Right, that's it, i'm out of here due to boredom.  Flounce flounce cry cry.

• Options

there is only one true dick around these parts...

the rest of you can royally fuck off

• Options

Yes - bring back Melik!

• Options

nobody seriously beleives the picture of him in pirate kit on his books made people buy his book do they?

Well I have a copy of said book (that I don't want) because someone (in good faith and as an act of kindness) bought it for me because it had a picture of 'him in pirate kit' on so I think it's fair to assume this did make someone buy his book for no other reason than that.  There are quite a few fatman to ironman books and yet by some bizarre coincidence this is the only one I have.  My conclusion is the two are related (in fact it was confirmed at the time by the purchaser) and money did change hands...so I'm in the making money from the pirates camp.  Not that I give a t@ss about that per se but to say there is no connection is far from the truth.  So yes I do seriously believe someone did it.

If anyone wants it just let me know.

As you were.

Name and address supplied.

• Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

Ok there is the odd person who bought it for a pirate, my wife included but I didn't marry her for her brains.  Thers not enough of us out there to make a difference worth moaning about.  The point I was making with out taking into account the pedants was the pirate brand is not strong enough to sell the book to anyone outside the pirate crew. 

• Options

Candy will probably not read this as he is off but I feel sad for him.

It is almost exclusive to people who are hurt to inflict pain upon others and by his choice of words and hiding behind flambuoyancy I sense a troubled person. Maybe only by his own misunderstanding of personal weaknesses rather than external but troubled nonetheless.

I hope he learns to find compassion and that he eventually finds himself entertained enough by the notion of betterment to stop unfair abuse and self gratification based on it.

Misinformation is bad and it feeds the worst assumptions.

• Options

Phew that's 30 mins of my life I'll never get back....

This is still the place where you can talk bollox and be thought an expert, image 

• Options

This is better than Paxman v Brand

I do wish Holgs was left out of this ... he doesnt deserve to be painted in this light

• Options

I could still probably beat pebble at arm wrestling though

• Options

CRAB. If you may, of course there is a connection between the Pirates, COLT and the book, no doubt. If people however, affiliated with the Pirates, bought the book because of the kit in the pictures, that was a by-product.

The book is about someone who raced ironman and it is about him. He just happened to race in the aforementioned kit. I do not see the connection between Pirate association familiarity and book marketing here.

I do not think the group is big enough anyway to matter (yet) or that it was ever marketed indeed. This is not LIVESTRONG we are talking about that he was using image.

I am specially sorry that there are feelings this strong about pretty silly circumstances, and that for a collective that is so proud about the open frontiers. But, alas, without moderation, it was to be expected was it not?

• Options

That's a good illustration of why it's pointless to respond to any stuff like that on the internet meldy.  If the guy hadn't flounced and people hadn't jumped to his defence and asked for explanations then it would have been an unnoticed throwaway comment.  You're still doing it, by the way image

• Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This - but people can't help but comment regardless of how pointless it is...take this as an excellent example.

Arse - Meldy took my spot and this is now TOTP and doesn't point to Candy's post...

• Options

long time since i've read a thread from beginning to end. Not sure i can get SP to read all this tho, but shall try.

Hi all the old guard from 2005.

• Options
    FeganTC wrote (see)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This - but people can't help but comment regardless of how pointless it is...take this as an excellent example.

Arse - Meldy took my spot and this is now TOTP and doesn't point to Candy's post...

Toooo slow ... for once   image

• Options

it's been an interesting couple of days on here - in some way like the old days - even some of the old dogs have sniffed an argument and stuck their conks in....image

• Options
    Interesting indeed, is it time to start the love-in yet.
  • Options
    Barly - always first in line for the love-ins....
  • Options
    That's harsh coming from a 2x? Mincing champion.
  • Options

A number of posts on this thread make me want to give myself a good rogering.

It's just like old times - or at least Kittentwat is.

• Options

Wow - if nothing comes from this at least I know some old friends aren't dead.

• Options

Oh Christ, Steel Magnolia is out.  Now we really are in trouble.