Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

This is a broadcast from the depths of my sofa, fire crackling, Ski Sunday on tv....I've had a properly lazy day and very needed it was too.  16 miles with 10@MP went well yesterday, the first 4k of the MP section were uphill which got the heart rate up quite nicely.

Feeling very coldy and off colour today, hoping to beat it with the Power of my Mind....that, and a cutback week image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sounds like everyone has been getting the runs in over the weekend. Second consecutive boozy night for me, a scenario I try my best to avoid happening. Managed a ten minute walk to the shop just!

Was going to essentially pick things back up from tomorrow however to massage or stretch out, my foot is still quite sore. Thinking its probably best to give it a bit longer otherwise will be back to square one. At least I started the schedule two weeks early. Assuming I take another week off, should I just rejoin the schedule where I should be or make up at least one of the weeks? There is another week end of Feb when on a long weekend away that will be heavily disrupted so planned that in as a bonus base week.

• Options
    DT19: I had to miss the first two weeks of 18/55. I wasn't sure what to do so just joined in at week 3. Not ideal but I don't think you can make up time. At least you built 2 weeks of slack in.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

morning all. Quick 5 or 6mi jog this morning. Off down south into the eye of the storm this afternoon.

• Options

It's looking a bit apocalyptic outside now...I'd best get out soon in case the world ends before I have my 13k with strides in the bag....

• Options

Treadmill session done this morning before breakfast, 8m with 4m @ LT pace.

I ran the conservative end of my pace range (HMP rather then 15k pace) and monitored my heart rate, because it's always harder work on my treadmill (don't ask me why, but it is). Also, I should recover better for the MPR next weekend.

Speed plan for LT miles was 7.2mph, up to 7.6mph and the heart rate range was 151-165bpm (77-88% HRR).

Mile splits: 10:32/10:32/8:20/8:20/8:20/8:15/10:53/10:32     avg. 9:20

HR avg:      130/130/152/158/161/164/147/143bpm     avg. 147bpm

So my heart rate was in the correct range at the more conservative pace, so I think it was a good call. It certainly felt uncomfortable enough.

The kids will be back at school in a fortnight, so my next LT session should be back outdoors thank goodness.

• Options

I overheard a runner who had stopped to talk to a couple of women just as I was nearing the end of my 13m MLR. He said, and I quote exactly:

"I run a marathon every day."

He certainly looked fit, but assuming it wasn't just bluster it begs the question why would anyone do that? Also, if remotely true, I had to feel sorry for the dog he was running with! image

• Options

He sounds like a twat, Tenjiso.

• Options

Alright gang, thought I might join in here if allowed. Week 3 of up to 75 for me for Paris next year.

• Options

Perhaps you misheard him tension? Maybe he said he eats a marathon a day (isn't that what snickers used to be called?)

did my long run today a day late. Went fine until I realised that I was running out of time having promised the wife I'd be home by a certain time so the last 4miles or so became closer to a LT run instead! Not ideal but felt fairly ok.

splits were: 9.41, 10.08, 10.16, 9.34, 9.47, 9.05, 8.10, 7.48, 7.44, 8.05. 

Driving to family tomorrow so prob won't get a run in, most likely will be able to get a run in on Boxing Day.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That cannot be possible surely. Taking aside the time that would take each day, it would drive you to the edge of insanity if you knees did not fall apart first!!

• Options

An hour on the bike, a weight set and then a very, very slow jog back on the 2.5m back home from the gym. Horrible weather but leg has no pain so happy with that. Will do some light running this week to ease back into it and see how it goes.

And it is absolutely awful out there! Glad my parents volunteered to pick me up yesterday instead of braving the train travel chaos today

• Options

LOL Andrew - are you calling me Tension? Might well be an apt name change at the moment.

I have been trying to work out my running schedule for the next six weeks (until the wife is likely to return). What a bleedin' nightmare image It's going to take some effort, but my mum (bless her) has agreed to look after the kids on three of the mornings so that I can get the longest runs done. Things should hopefully settle down around mid-February.

One day I might actually get to run one of the P&D runs on the correct day.  

As Eric Morecambe said: "I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order.image

• Options

10 mile run and dare I say it, the wind is at least as bad as the GSR this year, plus heavy rain...

• Options

+1 for DT19 and Lits' comments.

Welcome Gentle Menn!

8miles with strides for me today. i do love doing those strides. Keeps the run interesting and varied, and time seems to pass so much more quickly. 14miles planned for tomorrow - it's looking pretty wild out there... image

• Options

9 mile GA run today, and a relatively calm day compared too yesterday, nice to run in decent conditions shame it going to blowing a gale again tomorrow image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all. Writing this from Kent where the weather is total mental. Might have to scrap the early run tomorrow,.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yep its pretty wild here and looks set to continue tomorrow. Off to do a gym class in morning then going to try a few miles on tmill safe in the knowledge that its hugely unlikely I can train Xmas day or boxing day. 

• Options

I'm in Devon for Christmas and got up early to avoid the worst of the weather but it was still pretty brutal. Got through 7 of planned 10 and had to stop as the wind was battering sopping wet clothes against my very cold skin!

Rewarded myself with an afternoon beer or three image 

Two days off running now and I'm looking forward to it.

• Options

I have an 11 do do before 8am and it's horrible out there image

• Options

Good luck Andrews! I'm ducking out of my run this morning. Not a great night sleep as my youngest had a tricky night, and there's lots to do today with it being Christmas Eve! I'll pick it up again on Boxing Day, and I've got a 10k trail race to look forward to on Sunday..

Hope you all have a smashing one!

• Options

It wasn't too bad; quite sheltered on the east coast of the island and not raining much. 

It was very dark on my route, as there are no street lights. Running with a headtorch is weirdly hypnotic!

• Options

Okay guys, I am getting ready to attempt my LT run. Wish me luck! image

• Options

Good luck Lit!

• Options

Good luck! Hope weather not too bad.

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Looking forward to 6 or 10 later on, depending on how I feel - let's all embrace our inner Lieutenant Dan (hanging off the boat in Forrest Gump) and get out there image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello. Managed 12 this morning. Weather was mad here last night so saw lots of flooding, felled trees etc. Still pretty windy and wet this morning, but was calm enough to run. Hope all Ok out there.

• Options

Have fun everyone image 

4m recovery on the treadmill this morning. Finished before the kids woke up.

Rest day tomorrow before ten mile GA on Boxing Day - which I'm really looking forward to on the treadmill image 

• Options

15 - Welcome to Kent!  Congratulations on your 12 miles in the garden of England.  I managed 10 miles this morning, starting at approximately 6:20.  It was a bit dark but I saw 4 fallen trees, one fallen street lamp and many fallen fences.  Also a lot of standing water, even more than at the South of the Thames cross-country last Saturday on Wimbledon Common.

The South Eastern website for the Hastings line says "No service", so I'm working from home.

• Options

Hi everyone. Just discovered this thread. I am an asics 26.2 boot camp reject. Just started the P&D 55-70 12 week programme. Doing Barcelona in march. Aiming for sub 3. Not sure what speed to do MLRs at. Planning on doing LRs at 7.50 - 8mm, does that mean that I can do the MLRS a little faster?