Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Tenjiso - that all sounds rough. But don't worry about the running - in my first edition version of the plan there isn't any MP for ages anyway, so I certainly didn't do any last year and was none the worse for it. But if you do it next week then it does make sense to swap round the runs so there is more of a gap between the LT and the MP.

Could everyone else please be careful and not get injured/make injuries worse? Thanks.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm sorry about that Ten - hope next year brings you better fortune.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Hope things look up for you Tenjiso.

I admire your determination to keep the training up with so much other stuff going on. Although sometimes when life is messy the running is a godsend!

• Options

Thanks everyone.

Lit - the funny thing is, during the run I thought "thank goodness it isn't the marathon pace run today!" image It might be a good thing to have another week for my hamstrings to loosen up a bit more. 

P.S. I've got the best kids in the world. It's not all bad.

• Options

Hey, I thought I had the best kids in the world? Well, on some days anyway! Tenjiso - sounds like the run was a good one, even if it wasn't the one in the book..? Hope 2014 is a better one for you - this year sounds rough.

4mile recovery run for me today. It actually felt great just to go out and take my time. I'm one if those rare runners who enjoys the slow plodding pace. Wish I had Andrews route though...that sounded spectacular. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Looking at forecast weather is looking a bit mad for monday/tuesday. Won't be able to open the door to go outside, let alone run!

• Options

Matt -  i did a similar thing to you and went from 30 to 50+ mile in the first week, thought i would be fine as i did a Autumn marathon and was use to regular 60+ mile weeks.

Started getting heel pain/sorness and looks like i have PF, when to the phsyio and im off running for at very least another 2 weeks, think i will now skip a spring marathon and try and get rid of this PF and hopefully concentrate on shorter distances.

• Options

Porridged up...off into the howling wind and pissing rain soon, for 16 miles with 10 @ MP...

• Options

Leg pain is decreasing which is good. Plan today is to do the equivalent of the 13miles with 8 at MP on the bike at the gym, so same time and pace by heart rate.  Looking at the weather, I'm actually quite happy!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Just off out for 17 with 10@MP...weather not so bad here this morning.

• Options

Mm..Gore-Tex jacket today, I think!

• Options
    Tenjiso, fingers crossed for a much better 2014 for you mate.

Kids plans meant I couldn't get out in the end yesterday and only had limited time today so instead of 8m on thurs it became 5 w/3 @ 7.05 pace today. May or may not run tomorrow but will do my LSR on Monday when I def have some time before heading north to my sisters on Tuesday!

Debutant, I've suffered from PF previously its very annoying but a combination of golf ball rolling (or using a coke bottle filled with ice is even better) stretching and orthotic insoles has meant I've not had any issues with it in about 3 yrs!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well, 17 with 8 mp miles went ok, just about. Tried to keep pace about 6.15. Was huffing and puffing a bit at the end. Haven't been able to look at actual pace cause can't get stupid garmin to upload to computer.

• Options

Cheers Andrew & NSGR

I ran 5m recovery on the treadmill while the kids were in bed. Phoned the wife and she sounds in better spirits, which makes me feel a lot happier too. Last minute Christmas preparations (i.e. most of the Christmas preparations image) are in full swing. Just need to find some time to do a Santa run in the next couple of days. 

No running tomorrow.

Good running 15W. 6:15 pace - I can only dream!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tenjiso- fingers crossed 2014 will be an improvement!

My foot has healed quite considerably in last 48 hours. Did spin yesterday am then work Xmas party from 12, 9 hours of free bar. Don't feel too bad today, though I bailed at 9. Another night on town tonight. This weekend was in my adapted SCH as rest!

Debating whether to try a run Monday, or just to give it a few more days. Its qwuite nice though climbing stairs etc without any other aches and pains. Rest of body feels good. 

• Options

15W - 6:15 eh?

I'm sure you are well aware of this but 6:15/mile = 2:43:52 image Nice running anyway.

I ran a very tired/sweaty/hungover 7 on the treadmill today - not nice at all but the weather was really nasty. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah, well roughly 6.15. Sometimes I looked at my watch and it was about 6.30, other times it had a 5 on the front. Interestingly whole 17 took me about 2hrs which is what it took me last week when I ran a more even  pace.

• Options

15W slow down! You're making us look bad.

I feel in need of a pep talk for tomorrow's 16 with 8 @ MP.  Already been dreading it for days.  I am trying to convince other half to get out of bed and join me for some of the latter 8 @ MP but it seems I am not very persuasive.

• Options

I wasn't going to bother doing it because it's not in the first edition. Does that help?

• Options

I've just eaten a large dominos pizza. Feel full, tired and happy image

Marrows - the thought is always far worse than the doing - you'll breeze it I reckon!

• Options

Marrows, I'm with Ryan on this, (his advice not the pizza eating... Although given half a chance mmmm) the thought of a run you don't want to do is massively worse than the actual event.  I tend find that once I'm into my stride I feel much better About the run... Good luck image

DT19, if you do venture out, just make sure you don't go at it too hard too soon and ease yourself back in... Now if only I could follow my own advice!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I did 13 with 8 at mp a few weeks ago and was dreading it. I planned it so first quarter of mile or so were predominantly downhill to get my legs turning over and quite enjoyed it in end. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I never look forward to the mp runs...but whilst doing them I just have the following mantra going over and over in my head..."THIS WILL END!"

Hope goes ok marrows.

• Options

Some crazy weather ... but survived my  long run.   32 of my intended 40 miles for this week.  Not bad, all things considered.

"Rest" day tomorrow.  Actually Christmas shopping.  I'd rather do a 15 miler!

• Options

I was up at 5am to get my 16 w/ 8MP in before work.  Trying to run at MP into a Force 6 wind was very, very tough.  Nice tail wind after turn around though!

Too fast again, with the last 8 at 6:24 min/mi

I had been aiming for my first  sub-3 marathon, modified it to 2:54 to factor in a safety buffer - now I'm starting to consider an attack on sub 2:50.

I'll see how it goes. Injury, a DNS and misery probably!

Rest day tomorrow, so a Peroni tonight - Yay!!

• Options

Done it. Fed on fury at Lit's heretical apathy and finished huffing and puffing, avg 7:04/mile for the hard 8 and now my bum hurts.  Happy though because this time last year that would have been faster than my best 5K

• Options

Well done marrows. Better stretch your glutes. That was my downfall last year.

I did my nice, easy 17 as per the 1st edition. It was quite pleasant. image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done all on some impressive running. Going to get very, very, very windy and wet from tomorrow into xmas eve - careful to all those who dare to go out in it...

• Options

Good running everyone.

15W - you're making me feel a bit better about being confined to the garage. I'm planning to run my LT early tomorrow. Much prefer to be outside for an LT run, with the possible exception of running into a strong headwind, or through floods*.

*or both - as in the first Milton Keynes marathon image

• Options
    Tenjiso: MK mara in 2012 was weather that suited a snorkel .

Nose Nowt: similar to me , managed 29 out of planned 40.

Did at least do 14 miler today which is longest of this campaign. Although I didn't appreciate the hailstones for the last two miles. Most unnecessary.