Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Shazmo - Glad to see that returning to training helped get over the injury. Sorry to see your tragic news. Given that I'm also 52, it certainly gives me pause for thought.

8m GA this morning. Threw in half-a-dozen strides and went a little over distance as I tried to remember during the run whether it was 8m or 10m image Good job I was on the treadmill, so I could quickly hop-off and check the schedule.

It's a bit late for a New Year Resolution, I know (next year I must resolve to do my resolutions earlier). However, I resolve to get my weight down to 11st 11lb (165lb) in time for the London Marathon. I was 12st 8lb (176lb) at the start of the year, and am currently hovering around 12st 6.5lb. No dramatic changes - just cutting out junk by recording what I eat, and continuing with the marathon build-up. It's public now, so I have to do it image 

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Lit - I find my recovery pace coincides with my "dragging-my-arse-over-the-marathon finish-line" pace. Pretty, it ain't. 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Tenj - I have the same NYR (as well as getting a PB in 2014 - any distance will do!). 165 lb would be my dream but perhaps unrealistic ... started the year at 190 lb and am now 184 lb. The best I've been as an old git is 172 lb in the 2nd half of 2012.

8.2M, mostly on the canal towpath, at 8:55/m and 71% maxHR ...legs felt more in the mood for going slow today.

• Options

Shazmo, I'm very sorry for your loss. Running has helped me through some bad times and I hope helps you too.

My legs are feeling a bit heavy this week. Possibly a hangover from Sunday's 18 w/ 10MP. Also feeling a bit coldy. Thanks for the cut-back week Mr Pfitzinger, much appreciated.

I'm focussing on running no quicker than half way through the recommended paces, saving the big efforts for the MP, LT and VO2 sessions. I want to do well in London, but I want to be on the start line more than anything. It's a big investment with flights, accommodation etc. 

• Options

8 miles today in rain and hailstones! oh joy!

Comfortable 7:30 min miles, and put some 6-7 strides in (well what i think were strides circa 6min miles for 100m or so). was going to do 9 or 10 but the hailstones bought me in early as my running shoes were squishing!

• Options

Really sorry to hear that, Shazmo. It certainly puts this running lark into perspective. Take care.

Very slow recovery run for me today. 

• Options

Shazmo, so sorry to hear your news and really full of admiration for your efforts in spite of everything. Inspiring!

managed the 11 miles as planned today, bit quicker than I should have ran it but I had to get home to help with the kids bath and bed time. Target MP is between 8.20-8.35 so  these medium runs should really be at 9.30+ I think but averaged 9.00min/mile. Rest day tomorrow Woo!

• Options

I wimped out... Meant to do 8 miles, just so knackered after work I wimped out after 6.4 miles,sigh image oh well better than nothing. 

• Options

Shit Shazmo.  Terrible.

• Options

4 mile recovery really slow last night, felt better for it.

• Options

Today is my best day on tha plan - REST ! and I actually nailed this one!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

6 miles for me as recovery last night, felt quite heavy legged and sore during it but feel much better today.

x train day today so doing a spin class tonight, then its the 16 miler with 10 at mp tomorrow and the weather dont look great!!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Dr Dan - good luck with the weight loss. I'm about to start a Coursera course on nutrition and have downloaded the "myfitnesspal" android app to keep track of my food & exercise. The lecturer said to record a few days, but not to change eating habits. However, it is almost impossible not to change eating habits once you start recording it! Just being aware how damaging that biscuit or piece of cake can be is enough to avoid shoving it in the gob in the first place image. It's a great (free) app.

• Options

I'm looking to lose weight as well, which is painful for me as i have been bulking up doing weights and now its all coming off. Looking to loose a llb a week till London marathon then pile it back on! Was 175lb now 170lb and loking to be 160llb but these last 10 could be hard. I have myfitness pal - good app!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes i use my firness pal also. I find it just makes me think twice when i eat junk food and drink wine, which ought to be enough to drop the weight a bit.

• Options

Haha, with all the extra mileage it'd probably be telling me to drink more wine! Which would be fine by me.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I just made my own excel spreadsheet ... day 12 and so far so good.

I'm doing my 5M recovery today as Saturdays in our house are way to manic.

• Options

I have a spreadsheet as well wich tracks my running miles and calculates calories required and then splits it into carbs, protein and fats, depending on activities for the days! Sad i know, but no point in working out if you dont have good nutrition! Why do the hard work and not cash in on the easy part!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

what formula does your spreadsheet use though to calculate your calorie burn, or do you enter it manually from your hrm/watch?

• Options

The spreadsheet caculates on my average pace and weight so 120 cals per mile. For my BMR and TDEE I use Katch-McArdle calulation (as i am quite muscular and lean), which is more accurate than the standard Harris-Benedict model which was calculated in about 1919. The nutritional split is based on a 20:60:20 ratio of protein:carbs:fats. On weights days I use a 30:50:20 ratio.

I am cutting 500 cals a day which should result in 3500 cals a week which should relate to 1lb fat per week. (try and keep as much muscle as possible)

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Onwards and upwards.

And I'm pleased to report that I will be commencing the 12week/55 plan as of Monday. Goodness knows how I will manage it, given I've not ran more than 25 miles in total since the beginning of November! Please pray for me image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

What I like most about myfitnesspal is that it seems to have every conceivable food product in the database. So easy to find and add the foods. Also, syncing data between my tablet and computer is dead handy.

• Options

I use my fitness thingy to tack my carb loading only! My problem is losing too much weight. Off for fish and chips for lunch nowimage

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The feedback from my hrm and watch has me burning about 120 calories every 10 minutes. I wouldnt be that bothered in losing some muscle size. Bigger than necessary muscles require more blood/oxygen to fuel and over 26 miles its a drain.

I think its a general misconception that getting heavier with muscle is a good thing, certainly for enurance events its not.

I have found the odd thing not in the datasbase. I do like the barcode scan facility it has though.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I am also trying to shed a bit of weight after stuffing myself silly on holiday...not counting calories etc., but just trying not to eat too many carbs in the evenings (e.g. pre-bed bowls of muesli), and having 2 or 3 non-booze days a week.

Wenty - that spreadsheet sounds complicated...can't you just eat a bit less of everything?

5ish easy miles for me today.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Despite having a pretty geeky and over-complicated spreadsheet, I don't really over-complicate the nutrition side because there are 6 of us in our house and everything is cooked from scratch ... it's just way too complicated to work out accurately. I just eat whatever everyone else is eating.  I did once work out the calories in our more regular meals and then made the assumption I ate about 1/5 of the total ... so I use tha,t and guesstimates around it, to work out intake for the spreadsheet. I also use 120 kcal per mile for running and also have rough values for bike and swim (although I'm not doing any while P&Ding). However, the important thing is that I'm measuring/recording input/output, which is enough to stop me grazing. I don't eat breakfast Mon-Fri and I've dropped alcohol as of 1st Jan ... I will take it up again on evening of April 13th. image

• Options

I dont think there is anything wrong with muscle, but as you say its a big disadvantage with endurance events.

But then marathon running is not good for you either, but we still do it.

The database on fitness pal must be huge because as you say it has most things on there and where there is not then there is something pretty close.

120 calories per 10 minutes sounds low. I think if you weigh 150llb at about 7-7.5 min/mile you should be around 120 per mile  (or every 7.5 minutes). I will be burning more than 120 (as i am 175lb) but was on the conservative side.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

DT19 - I didn't notice the barcode scanner. I just tried it out and it's awesome! 

Shaz - that's a big jump in mileage, though you have done big mileage before. Good luck and take care.

• Options

Hey all, Wow glad to see some of the others on here suffering with tired legs this week. I'm being changing my plan to fit in the Surrey XC fixtures and this week on week 12 of the 18 week plan my legs are v tired and totally smashed, 11 mile this afternoon is going to be very tough.

Sorry to hear Shazmo, good luck with the plan.

• Options

15West , yes if i wanted to loose weight I could just eat a bit less, but the bodybuilding part of me has taught me that its the nutrition that is just as important as the calories, especially protein every 3-4 hours! In theroy you can loose weight just eating chocolate (if you eat less than your TDEE), but it wont do you much good!