Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    DT19 - in the past I have either just run the 20 miles as my long run the week before, or swapped two weeks within the same mesocycle so the race falls on a week with a similar sounding workout.
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

DT19 I am doing a half 7 weeks before the marathon. I have booked the Tuesday morning off work that week to do the long run and am doing the Half as the LT session. Should make that killer 7 miles @ LT session more bearable.

I wouldn't mess with the long runs personally. They are key sessions.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

SGB you are right but this is my first time doing the 70 mile/week plan and one year ago I was only a casual runner. This is year 2 of the 10 year plan so a 5 min PB is acceptable. P.s. I am very stubborn and not good at taking advice but thanks!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the views. I can't push any later with the twenty as my hm is on 23 march. That's last day before taper. Weekend before is 17 which is doable as a swap. I do have an option of a half two weeks earlier on 9th which is same weekend as the dreaded 18 with 14 at mp. Perhaps thats a more logical weekend as can race the half and do the other miles easy so would tick off that session easily. 

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

yeh that sounds better DT

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Ram - OK, thanks.  A 10-year plan sounds impressive!

• Options

Dt19 - do you have the obsessive pd spreadsheet ? I am forever shuffling mine. +1 for ramjets comment re use a half as a replacement LT

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Mennania - how did you treat/sort your adductor injury?  Although having seen my osteopath and massage git this week they are both a bit stumped - there isn't anything seemingly wrong with the adductors, it's referred pain and we can't get to the bottom of it.  They're talking about a hip scan now....sigh....

Having said that, it is no better or worse after 5 days off so I am taking the fuckit approach and will try a run this morning.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

4m recovery this morning. Kids were still fast asleep when I'd finished. Hopefully I'll avoid any more acrobatics during tomorrow's 12m MLR image 

Ram - ten year plan is great! I've got a "five" year plan (loosely speaking, since it will probably take longer than five years). I've found that having the long term plan is brilliant for getting things in perspective when things don't go well. For example, if the target marathon time is not achieved for the year, or the marathon is missed, then it matters less because it is just a stepping stone towards a bigger goal. I've been making progress and have made occasional updates in this thread.

Which reminds me - I really should do an update to the plan and thread.

• Options

Tenjiso, recovery run for me today, just 3miles loop. I actually spent most of it thinking about what my post-marathon plan is.  First up is to knock a huge chunk off my half-marathon pace in the autumn, then I think it's start to target a GFA marathon time image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Ramjet wrote (see)

DT19 I am doing a half 7 weeks before the marathon. I have booked the Tuesday morning off work that week to do the long run and am doing the Half as the LT session. Should make that killer 7 miles @ LT session more bearable.

I wouldn't mess with the long runs personally. They are key sessions.

+1 ... this is what I'd do.

11.6M hilly ones before breakfast this morning ... basically, I've ended up swapping Friday's rest day for Sunday, so that's my week done a day earlyimage ... lie in tomorrow and tea & toast in bed for me! 40 and a bit miles on account of doing a little bit extra on the weekday runs.

BRING ON WEEK 7! imageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. 5mi easy run for me today as I have this Helsby Half thing tomorrow. Was going to scrounge a lift off my next door neighbour who is running it also...but she can't drive me back so will have to drive.

Rachel - wasn't going to do an autumn marathon but went and signed up for the york one as knew it would sell out quickly, and I have relatives there...and I just fancy it. Have also entered the warrington half in september again, and will probably run a few other races here and there. As I mentioned previously though may start running my commute as only 4mi each way...and then work a plan round that. May not though.

Think I'm going to sign up for the Oulton Park Half in Feb.

• Options
    great stuff Dr D image.

feeling smug myself: rubbish weather tomorrow so did my 16 with 8@MP today. Absolutely smashed it. no idea where it came from but the MP came out as 7:32 (pmp for a sub 3:20 is 7:37...) HR was way too high though. But felt strong and enjoyed it. 16.5 miles in total image

Good luck to the Helsby contingent and other races for tomorrow.

Must try and catch up with the forum again. Been a bit drowned in work lately :-/
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done chickadeee.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Rachel - my target is also to get a GFA time. At the time I set it, the target was 3:15 and my marathon PB was 4:38 image. My PB is now 4:09 (thanks to P&D!). VMLM have also moved the goalpost a bit nearer and I now need 3:20 for a GFA - assuming they don't change it again. I was hoping to target 3:45 this year, but illness and injury scuppered that plan last summer (just a blip in the long term plan! image). 

Chick - well done! Hopefully next time you will see your heart rate lower at the same pace.

I'm booked to run Silverstone HM, which is six weeks before London. I'm planning a mini-taper (couple of days - nothing much), then the following week swap the VO2Max for a straightforward GA session. I haven't made up my mind whether to run the 18/14MPR that week, or swap it with the following week.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Well done Chick. Always nice to get a MP session banked and it sounds like you killed it.

BTW I don't really have a concrete 10 year plan. I just meant that London is really a stepping stone rather than the ultimate target. The journey is the reward (Steve Jobs)

• Options

Tenjiso, have you ran Silverstone before? ive done it twice, flat as a pancake as you can imagine be wary of the time you arrive though as the traffic is horrible getting into the racecourse

plan says I should be doing 7 miles recovery with some 100m strides today, opted for my first ever parkrun instead though.  Think that may become my regular Saturday run.  averaged 4.15min per Km.  course was an alternative route due to flooding so was 5.3Km rather than 5.  Finished in 22.34 so my 5k time should have been about 21.15, happy with that but will try and knock a little off of that in the coming weeks

• Options

Nice run Chick - you might be reviewing your TMP if this carries onimage

Forecast is good at the mo for tomorrow with 5deg and a light wind- You guys settled on a pace yet?

I am number 2212 and will be in a black compression top with black shorts and white shoes. 

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Andrew - I ran at Silverstone last year. I'm not sure I'd call it flat as a pancake. Oh wait - you've seen my attempts at making pancakes (I see what you mean image). There were a couple of sneaky inclines of about 5%, but other than that as flat as they come (Silverstone - not my pancakes). My biggest problem was pacing due to every mile measuring long according to my Garmin. It taught me to turn off autolap and to manually press the lap counter at each mile mark! 

Good luck all the racers tomorrow!

• Options
    Great running chick, that's immense!

18 lsr for me today. I've been looking forward to this one as it's an 'easy' run in the grand scheme of P&D things!

Averaged 9.32 and it hasn't completely wiped me out, woo hoo!

Off to Notts for a curry with o/h's parents and I plan to enjoy it a lot!!

Happy running and races everone xx
  • Options

Yer maj - They dealt with my psoas at the same time - These are the exercises recommended http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/14153350/groin-exercises-groin-strengthening-exercises-.htm but with additional bridge and plank exercises to help with the core (single leg bridge with the unsupported leg out to the side). I will try to describe another one. sit on the edge of a table and bring one knee upto your chest - rollon to your back holding your knee to your chest with your other leg hanging over the edge of the table and get someone to push the dangling leg down(whilst keeping the dangling leg knee at 90 degrees) This puts a big stretch on the adductor in the same direction as running. I found this one very useful.  The final one that was recommended was this www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze-6BXT63ow.

Hope this helps!!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Brill thank you image  That's this evening's entertainment sorted for me

I did my run - 16 miles with 12 @ MP and survived.  Psoas was nipping like a demon by the end though so I am cashing in one of my emergency weeks this coming week to catch up with the runs I missed and have a very easy week.  BUT....I held my pace, including the first 4k of MP being up a dirty great hill.  This pace was my HM pace in October so it ain't all over yet....

I'm doing Silverstone too, along with half of the Paris thread

• Options

My tight psoas contributed to my osteitis pubis. I do a stretch similar to the one Mennania mentioned, but use a foam roller in the small of my back. Knees to chest, hold one leg behind the thigh and lower the other leg towards the ground, straightening it as it lowers.

It has really helped me out.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'll try that one too - thanks guys image

• Options

Well, not really small of back, but hip area... you'll feel the right spot. Good luck.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

yer maj you beast well done

• Options
    16 miles today instead of the 12 on the plan. Feel good after the run, but can't shake off my perfirmoris syndrome (sore butt muscle) . Has anyone had this as it's really keeping my pace down . Tried roller, cold, heat, stretches and excercises. Getting very slowly better, but hindering training.
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I've just relented and entered the Oakley 20 on 23rd March (three weeks before VMLM). Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled again so I get a catered training run. It was a bit lonely in the snow last year.

I ran this one in 2009 and enjoyed it a lot. A bit too much, in fact, and ran too fast. I have more discipline since I learned from that mistake!

• Options

Yer Maj - Nice run, defo try the stretches after that!

Wenty - Tennis ball?

Ten - Obviously you will run it as a 20 with 8-10 at MP and no moreimage

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Men - hah! image Admittedly, I could get a 20m PB by upping my current LR pace just a tad bit image But I'm sure I won't be tempted, much.