Options

My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3 Roger

Comments

• Options

Great mile reps, Roger. Not easy doing those on your own.

Really nice to meet you too, Malcs. Well done on your splits. Excellent times. I struggled a bit with the first couple of 2k reps last night, but happy with second half. I'm still recovering from a nasty virus last week and then ran 20 on the Sunday, which took quite a lot out of me. But glad I did it and seem to be over the worst of the virus now. Hope to see you - and perhaps Roger, if you can get out of work early?? - some other time again at track.

• Options

Have a great day on Saturday.

Steve - just heard your news on Malc's thread.image

• Options
    Hi Andy, I do feel lucky to be able to bounce back quite quickly, partly thanks to Steve's sensible training plan and stopping me from going too wild. Last year I was managing a 22 miles run on a Tuesday followed by a brutal Serpie interval session of 11-13 miles on the Wednesday and managing, I did have more rest days though. I think this is a more sensible approach.

Rob, sorry I couldn't make it down to meet you guys, maybe I'll be able to sneak out early one Tuesday.

Ruth, sorry to hear you are not going to be there on Saturday, I will try catch up with you on the phone at some stage ( that suits you ) thanks for all the help so far. Do you get to come to Paris?

Steve I hope you are on the mend.
  • Options

Looking good Roger - just gentle efforts now before Sunday?

Know exactly what you mean about losing confidence, Andy. Today marks two weeks since I last ran. I finally saw a physio today about my shin and he confirmed that it's definitely muscular rather than skeletal, but I did have to take a moment to pluck up the courage when he asked me to get on the treadmill!!

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but still - it's hard not to panic at the thought of your fitness pouring away with every non-running day that goes by. So I'm going to get back out there tomorrow; physio suggests I can - just need to do a lot of deep tissue work on the affected area, and like you suggested recently Steve - I might just have to run through the pain now and again. Echoing everyone else's sentiments on here, hope your recovery's going well).

• Options

great mile session roger - personally I tend to prefer to keep the recovery the same throughout - ie start mile reps every 8 minutes. If you are finding you need more recovery then it just shows you are probably doing them too fast. You can't have extra rest when racing, so i think it is best to do what you would do in a race and slow down. Even better though is to if you are aiming for say 5:45s is try and do the first one controlled in 5:50 so you can gradually pick the pace up.

Important to stay controlled in Thursday session and save some energy up for the half-marathon. Will go through strategy on Saturday in more detail but certainly an attempt at sub-80 could be on if conditions favourable but a steady controlled start required. 

• Options

Andy B - thanks will play it by ear with the cycling - if I feel it is slowing recovery then will stop but been told ok to cycling and can't feel anything

• Options
    Thanks Steve, yes you are right I should be able to keep up the pace without longer rests. My plan didn't say how long the recovery so I wasn't sure. I thought as the reps were longer the recovery might be a bit longer but agree it is cheating a bit and probably should have been doing them a bit slower but I love a challenge and I didn't want to slow down the mile reps once I started at that pace. I hope the Achilles is mending, I agree that cycling can stress it, you could make sure you are not using the ankle too much by not having the ball of your foot on the pedal.

Cookbox, sorry to hear you are still out of training, how did it feel on the treadmill? Good luck, speedy recovery.

I joined some friends for a gentle jog last night. 1/2 mile to the start at speakers corner. Conversational pace all way round 7 miles. Fast last mile, got a little carried away. Felt great! Then 1/2 mile gentle jog back. 8 miles total

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/451971076

Today I did a progression run. Just seen your warning now Steve. A nice controlled session bit tired today though. Did miles at 7.52 ( sorry I tried to go 8) 7.30, 7.05, 6.50, 6.30,6.11

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/452246396

Oh and 2 miles this morning with my pooch. Gentle.

Wow Steve sub 80, in my dreams, I would kill to go sub 80, might be a bit ambitious maybe? Looking forward to seeing you Saturday.
  • Options
    Steve, re the mile reps, if I started every 8 mins, I would have a 135s recovery between each rep. I was only having 69 secs which stretched only slightly to 90 secs but still much shorter, so quite a good hard session then. No wonder I was feeling it!
  • Options

Not surprised you were a bit tired today Roger! Good progressive run and fast last mile! Good luck for Sunday and the training day tomorrow.

Did my first run of the week last night of a steady 11 miler. Only felt well enough and the annoying cough has finally subdued enough to go out. So it looks like this week will be a cut back week, but I guess not too bad as I've had 4 weeks full on since the last one. Just had a sports massage and my glutes were certainly tight!

• Options

David, I am running Reading and will try follow the same plan as before, I too carried a gel but didn't need it. Good luck, I hope you manage your goal.

well done KR on overcoming your cough, hopefully that will be the end of it , Ruth got me to take a high strength vit D to help prevent getting ill esp in the high mileage weeks, you might want to try if you aren't already. Happy training

• Options

Rest day for me today, 5 miles or so planned for tomorrow at the RW training day then hope all goes well for dreading half on Sunday

• Options

Dreading?? I think you'll be fine Rogerimage keep an eye on those catfish!!

• Options
    Haha, catfish is fine and dreading will be fine too. Round man is quick!
  • Options

Good luck for tomorrow Roger!

I have a random foot injury. No clue what it could be, it's certainly none of the usual suspects. Oddly I find that I get no pain in high heels or lightweight running shoes, but I do in my usual comfy boots, bare feet and normal running shoes. The pain is on top of the foot, out towards the lateral side and only when I transition forwards through the mid-stance. No pain at all prodding it, poking it, massaging it or twisting it in every direction possible. Answers on a postcard!

• Options

That's a real puzzler, CC2. Clearly there's only one solution, and that is to run in your high heels.

After ending my two-week injury break with a 5-mile test run on Thursday, I got out for a slow 15-miles this morning. Shin is clearly still an issue. Although I can run through it once I'm warmed up, it does flare up a fair bit once I'm rested/cooled down. I suspect I'm going to struggle to run on consecutive days, which is a real blow to any remaining hopes of breaking 3 hours.

Good luck tomorrow Roger! You're in fantastic shape, so I'm really keen to see what you can do. Just don't go off like a greyhound - listen to what Steve tells you to do!! 

• Options

Roger didn't do too much today but did some easy running and then some 400s and 200s and all being well he can run a PB tomorrow and run a restrained first half and a great last 5km

CC2 - apart from combining the light racers and high heels - would a substantial heel pad in a light pair of shoes help?

• Options

Actually my Ravennas were fine for a jog to the post office today, despite the foot being sore when walking bare foot before I went out. It is an absolute bafflement!

• Options
    Wow cc2, it is not common complaint, without doing active, passive and resisted isometric tests, and having a prod and checking motion palpation it is hard to diagnose, make sure you are not tightening the laces too tight. Steve's advice seems a practical solution. Good luck.

Thanks all for the well wishes, fingers crossed. It will be interesting to see where I am and how well I pace it.

Well done cookbox on the 15. Hope things progress swiftly on from here.

Mike, my watch says my VO2 is 65. But bupA assessment last week tells me it is 62 so not far out. My predicted race times are also ridiculously fast. Since a software update on my iPhone my cadence has gone from 165-175 down to 80-111?? Not sure how it works all that out?

Steve thanks I enjoyed today, 3 mile slow warm up, 2 miles Brocken up into 400* 3, 600,400,200, 3*200 and 2 miles cool Down. Good session with Victor the sports psychologist who was very helpful. Physio. Sarah beat me up in a very good way. Really good chat with Steve about where I am and what to be careful of, and what to aspire to.
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Best of luck tomorrow Roger. I have been following the thread from afar this year and you seem to be going great guns. Im also doing Reading tomorrow though quite abit slower than you!           

Hi to all the regulars on here and of course Steve MC

• Options
    Thanks AndyV good luck to you too. Come say hi if you recognise me
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Have a great race today Roger - go smash it!

• Options
    Thanks AndyV good luck to you too
  • Options
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/453745477

PB woohoo. 79.00 minutes flat

Thanks Steve, for the great coaching. Ruth you are a star Sarah and Victor. Thank you team Asics. Definitely makes me more confident for Paris.

Roundman well done thanks for coming to say hi
  • Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭
    Great running Roger and great to meet you! You are looking in top form for Paris now.

PB of 1:22:03 for me which I am well chuffed with. This marathon training lark certainly works!!!
  • Options

That's brilliant Roger. Nailed on for sub 3 I'd say! 

No PB for me today at the Rushcliffe 10k but I did take the win again. I would have preferred a PB to be honest. I ran 38.52 and my PB still stands at 38.37 from the same race last year. It was quite windy and I found it rather draining. Maybe with the same conditions I could have equaled last year's time, but really I was hoping for under 38.20. Then further disappointment - I went to WHSmiths to buy Athletics Weekly and although their system said they had one copy left it was nowhere to be found image

• Options
    Thanks Cc2. Better luck next time on the 10
  • Options

Excellent run Roger - looks you paced it perfectly and finished strongly and don't think it could have gone much better though must have been breezy. I watched Tunbridge wells half and it wasn't perfect. Got in 50 miles plus of cycling but would rather have run!

well done on the win cc2 and well done Roundman.

Hi Andy V - hope it went well.

• Options

Well done Roger. That's superb. I ran a HM today but no splits. Garmin lost satellite for fourth time this week, so had to run second half with just stopwatch. Wonder if I have to send it back??