Options

My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3 Roger

Comments

• Options

Yes watch out for that Roger, get some ice on it! Make sure your fib is mobile and doesn't get stuck too. Anyway teaching you how to suck eggs as grandmother used to say.....

Hope it settles. Great run on Sunday.

• Options

Roger looks like another well controlled run - the disclipline is now excellent

• Options
    Thanks Sarah. It feels better this morning, I think I am just being hypersensitive as I know Paris is just around the corner

Thanks Steve, yes I am getting better at pacing.
  • Options

Glad to hear niggle is better today, Roger. Yes, I'm running Finchley 20 but just as a training run.

I'd be interested to hear how you plan to fuel for your 22. I've run with just water for previous steady 20s, but assuming it'd take too much out of the body to do that for 3 hour slow run..?

• Options

It's a bit early for the paranoia, Roger - that doesn't usually kick in properly until tapering begins! Jokes aside, I hope it's okay now.

Pretty sure I'm not going to run the MK half on Sunday. It's a big call, but I have to think about what's most likely to get me to the start line on April 13. If I give myself another week of rest from now, that'll leave me 4 weeks in which to get myself in shape to 'get round'. Speed work seems to be the hardest for the injury to recover from, so I may have to spend those 4 weeks focusing on slow and steady miles. Any tips from those of you who've run marathons following injury-hampered training, most welcome!

• Options

Roger - hope all under control. As Sarah says....

Roger Reid wrote (see)

Ruth "A wee bit of homework: after your next hard session (track or interval) and after your next long run over 10miles I would like to see what you eat prior to these sessions (your last meal and snack before you run)  and then what you eat for the rest of the day (for your interval/track session this may be recovery snack  dinner and bed)."

Ruth ( my wee bit of homework) ok so I did a fairly tough track session today, 9 miles and an hour in total. Mmm water, breakfast was homemade muesli, coffee, water, nice long walk with the wife and dog ( careful how I phrase that), my beautiful wife and collie, hot cross bun and butter at 10.00, moved a ton of boxes for my Mum, two ham cheese and tomato sandwiches at 11.00 and coffee, charged off to work train boorish bike 15 min. 1.40 -2.40ish run, shower back to work, 3.40 Ducked out to get grub as I hadn't planned very work. Wolf down 2 glasses of milk and nesquick, two slices of bread and 170g tub of coronation chicken. Water. Boris bike 15 min, missed my train cos I had to go to 4 boris bike docks before I could find a free bay, 7.40 picked up rolls and a small cheesecake (starving), devour cheesecake and a banana on train,  still hungry( might eat small child ) oooo just remembered I have rolls( no no, they are for kids sandwiched, I am sure I can wait until I get home)

So how did I do? Well I can see why you have such a hard time with us Ruth!

Roger! What I feel from this days eating is that your  lifestyle is hectic and full on but I appreciate that is most of us but if you spend 10 minutes planning food it can make all the difference. I know that with good recovery you see less fatigue type injuries, less upper tract infection type  illness (sore throats etc ) and better adaptation to training so your training gains are even better SO worth the effort. If you do online shopping or regular " go to supermarket shopping" then just make sure you get the food in by looking over your week in advance. Can you leave food in work at start of each work week or bring in every few days? Nesquik, milk (seven day fresh?), nuts, fruit, bagels or vacuum packed pittas (so don't even need to worry if don't open them for a few days) spread (jam etc)  tinned mackerel or other tinned fish could all be left (but perhaps bring toothbrush so as not to scare away your clinics if eat fish!). Even leave sandwich bags so if need to take food to eat on train on way home you can do this (to avoid children being eaten)image

• Options

Cookbox - I feel for you but I guess you have to listen to what your body is telling you. Injuries suck!

• Options

Cookbox - yes suggest focussing on longer slower runs but don't go back too long too early.

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

3rd out of 425 at newbury parkrun for me today. Time not amazing (19.01) but blxxdy hard work into a headwind most of the way round.     

Catching up on the thread after a week offline. I sense an under current of  pre taper madness kicking in for some (me included!)

• Options
    Good result Andy.
  • Options

good to hear you are in sharp form Andy

• Options

Oh dear, pre-taper madness? Keep calm and carry on!

Inter Counties for me yesterday. No clue where I finished but it felt ok, despite running almost all of it with my left foot hanging out of the side of my shoe after the upper ripped away from the sole in the general melee/fight that is the first 400m.

• Options
    Oooh niggle, yesterday as I dodged the mass of ambling tourists while they were marvelling at Big Ben, I managed to misjudge a step off the curb resulting in a sudden twist of the foot inwards into pronation and evertion with a sudden sharp pain on the outside of the lower leg and ankle. Being a chronic, multiple and frequent ankle sprain sufferer I am very used to going over on my ankles but usually an inversion sprain, rolling over the outside of the foot and spraining the lateral ligaments. 20 years ago I got sick of twisting my ankles and so I worked long and hard on rehab, strengthening and did huge amounts of proprioceptive work to improve balance, coordination and most importantly a very rapid response to anything vaguely like a twist which enables me to react so fast I almost never actually damage the ligaments anymore. That and the fact I probably destroyed most of them, there is not much left to sprain. But this was not an inversion sprain this was a twist in the opposite direction, my reaction was not as quick as it should have been. I didn't need to stop thankfully as I was now halfway across the road and in danger of being run over if I lingered too long. I assed as I ran and all seemed ok I thought I had got away with it. I've since had a slight niggle on the outside of my lower leg the tweaks now and then and felt decidedly stiff on my run today. Fortunately for me being a chiropractor I can diagnose myself, it is a trigger point (knot) in the peroneus Longus muscle, it is basically stiffness from the muscle suffering a sudden contraction trying to guard against injury as far as I can tell there is not bone or ligament injury, inflammation or restriction ( from the assessment I can do on myself). So I know that I can run through the stiffness ( not pain ) without further injury or progression. I guess the two things I've learnt are how scary it can be so close to the big game to get a tweak, I feel for all of those out there struggling with injuries and secondly I need to be a bit more focused and careful so as not to get injured. I also believe that if you tackle the monster early when it is small it is easier to sort, if you leave things they evolve, snowball and turn into Godzilla. Happy, injury free running my friends.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear cookbox

Good reps KR

Glad to hear all is going well Rob, I am not doing finchley sadly I left it too late to enter. I will do a 22 near home in Hertfordshire instead. Are you doing Finchley?

I did an alternating 9 miles of 8.00 and 7.00 which I thought I would do a bit mre 7.40/6.40 but ended up being a bit more like 7.30/6.40
  • Options
    5 miles yesterday afternoon, gently as I was feeling very delicate after Friday nights excesses at the annual datchworth rugby club dinner dance. It Is official I am a lightweight when it comes to drinking, useless.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/457561146

Long slow run today. I was going to do finchley 20 as a training run with the last 5 at MP. Didn't get in so I did my planned 22 but managed the last 5 at or close to MP.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/457684855
  • Options

Excellent 22 Roger and glad you haven't injured yourself avoiding tourists and injury is the only thing that is probably stop you breaking 3!

I saw your position CC2 and looks like you had a good solid run in 32 minutes for the 8km cross-country.

• Options

I did long run today, 3 laps (22miles) of Richmond Park in lovely sunshine. Was packed, almost constant stream of runners and cyclists! Did 2 laps endurance pace then 1 lap 7 miles @ MP. Felt ok on my breathing and heart rate but dehyration was getting to me a bit near the end, must remember to drink especially if its gonna heat up. Run was also pretty swift for me, first two laps @ 7:15/mile last lap @ 6:30/mile so pleased with that but wasnt feeling 100% comfortable with right calf and hamstring muscles feeling a bit tight and twitchy and heel feeling quite bruised by the end. Think I need to get the ice pack out the freezer and also get some rest for a few days. As put earlier I am obviously also suffering from a case Pre-Taper madness.

Your long run looks well controlled effort Roger, you feeling good?

• Options

Is it groundhog day on here? 

Yes, I was 134th, which is a massive improvement on last year's horrific race. And then today I ran the Ashby 20 as 10 slow and 10 @ MP, plus WU and recovery run giving me nearly 26 miles for the day and 84 for the week. Cutback week now though. 

Steve, do you know much about the Home Countries International at Wollaton park on the 22nd? Notts have been asked to field a team, presumably because we're technically the hosts, but surely we'll all be trailing round at the back behind people who've been selected to represent their countries? I can't do it anyway unless I can acquire some spikes in time. 

Roger - excesses? During marathon training? You should know better! I haven't had a drink since boxing day.

• Options
    Good result AndyV

Great run Andy bye, that is a quick long run! I hope everything settles quickly. Ice for 3 days often. If you get ice on an acute injury within 6 hours you can half the inflammation!

I am feeling good after my long run, no niggles on the run, what a beautiful day it was for a long run. I'm a bit stif in the thoracics today, nothing a good chiropractic adjustment can't fix.

Well done Cc2 wow big week! Yes I know I should know better. I am at the 'I will never drink again' stage.

Last big push for me wk 13. Thanks Steve all looking good so far. I will look at this weeks plan and be in touch if I need help with anything.
  • Options

Glad you're feeling good after the long run, Roger. Keep up the great work.

Just wanted to report back that my Garmin is now working again. I took your collective advice and spoke to tech support. I'd uploaded new software a few weeks' ago and apparently sometimes that stops the satellite working. I just had to reset it and now it's fine, so thank you!

Speedy - that's some weekend. Superb!

Finchley 20 training run yesterday, which is 4 laps of 5 miles. Nice mix of paces and felt good.

• Options

Nice long run Roger. That's quicker than a sub 3.15 marathon pace and a training run. How did those last 5/6 marathon pace miles feel?

I'm planning the same thing this weekend. There is a Club league race on Sunday of 7 miles, so I'm thinking of running it twice before hand really slow (8.10 pace), then doing the race at MP. Hopefully with it being a race I should get pulled round with the others and should be a good pacing exercise too? Good idea or bad Steve?

Did the Retford half yesterday in 1.25.49 (1 second quicker than I did 3 years ago!). Felt good most of the way, but there were a few miles between 8 & 11 where there was no one to run with and the pace dropped a bit. Please with the overall 6.31 pace, but felt I could have gone quicker? Feel stuck at this pace for half marathons, as my last 7 have ranged from 1.26.33 - 1.25.40 although I feel in better shape now than 2 years ago?

• Options

knight rider - good to see your support and that all is going well even if half is not as you want (will leave that to Steve).

Roger - week 13 where is the time going!

• Options

Very well done Roger! I like the "pre-taper madness" image I had my longest run yesterday. I usually head to Hyde Park first and then to the Southbank but yesterday I did the opposite and I am happy I decided to do so because when I passed by the Southbank at around 8.45 am there were already massive queues of tourists to get tickets for the London Eye. Good luck with week 13!!

• Options

well done on longest run Isabelabos

KR I would suggest might be best to the second lap as race so you are not too tired when you do race and then the third lap slower again - this way simulates maintaining a pace (albeit slower) while you are already tired and makes it more similar to last few miles to marathon.

Roger - another excellent run at weekend and it's encouraging that you are recovering well

Rob - well done on your control at 20 mile

CC2 well done on all those miles. Home countries international is usually quite a high standard race. last year only 19 did women's race and Combined Servives runners were at back 4 minutes after winner on 7200m course.

Think this year they are making it much bigger and have plans to make it a mini world champs as no world champs this year

• Options

Good going Rob

Well done on the first 20 miler Isabel, great one to get under your belt

Ruth I am still waiting for a scalding on my poor pre and post workout meals... you have got me thinking about it more now, thank you

Kr Good luck with the long run

I did a gentle 5 yesterday and felt a bit stiff and sluggish but managed fine.

!2 miles today ahead of a 1.5 mile intervals session tomorrow so switched thing around a little, felt fine around 7.30 mm

Enjoying the weather when the sun peaks out, bit cooler today

• Options

good you had a solid run today and felt fine, Excellent long run Andy B

• Options

Thanks a lot Steve and Roger! Can't wait for Paris now image

• Options
    Tough 1.5 mile reps tonight * 4. Warm up 3 miles. Warm down 2.7 miles. 3 min jog recoveries. We tried to do 5.50 min miles. Which was tough. Close though. Great run feel like I worked hard. Petronius still not 100 % right sacroiliac also need a little loosening up. I will try see Dr Vice tomorrow. And book a massage for next week. Last stretch. Getting excited.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/459932844