Options

Mutual Support and Encouragement for fellow Newbies

Comments

• Options

Yes Nick it was definitely the running that caused the stress fracture, my own fault for running in wrong shoes and pushing on when I should have rested. Live and learn! You and everyone else have been doing really well, do pleased for you all. 

l

• Options
    Well run Happy and I agree with Nick, go for it with the Belfast H/M. Here's hoping you beat your boss Nick.
  • Options
    Well done Nick, fantastic time.

Great distance Peter.

Nice going Nicky, good luck with the races!

Great to see you back at it jooles

Went out this morning... Week 6. Run 3. 5.5 miles. 45m57s. 8:20 min/mile

Next week I'm going to 6.1 miles
  • Options
    I meant 6.2 miles, 10k. That's my first target and hope to get that down below 45 minutes.

I then want to use Sundays to increase to HM distance. Do you think stick to half a mile increase a week or go for a mile increase each week?
  • Options

Nathan, I personally would go for the extra mile each week, well certainly for the first week then see how you feel after that adding at least 1/2 mile on each time.

• Options

Thanks Peter, think I will go for that extra mile each week. Sunday I am going to try for 7 miles.

Just got back from first run this week. Week 7. Run 1. 6 miles. 52m16s. 8:33 min/mile. Should have done 6.2 to make it 10k but forgot! Will do the extra 0.2 next run so I can start hopefully getting quicker and logging some good 10k times.

• Options
    Well run Nathan, I'm debating on going out, it's raining and I have to go out and visit a vessel coming into port tonight so might give it a miss until tomorrow.
  • Options
    I meant 6.2 miles, 10k. That's my first target and hope to get that down below 45 minutes.

I then want to use Sundays to increase to HM distance. Do you think stick to half a mile increase a week or go for a mile increase each week?
  • Options
    Why does it post a previous comment I made before when I didn't do it!? Done that a few times on here.
  • Options
    Not sure Nathan its a bug that a few people have.
  • Options
    Week 7. Run 2. 6.2 miles (10k). 54m04s. 8:43 min/mile
  • Options
    Well run Nathan, good time there. I ran this morning, 4 miles in 34m36s. 8.37min/mile.
  • Options

Hello all, sorry haven't had a chance to get on for a while, some great running by the looks of things !

I'm still plugging away at the 5k... after a bit of a plateau/slight loss of enthusiasm I am starting to get my oomph back, first run of this week was yesterday and I ran the 5k in 31mins and 1 second.... so I'm nearly at my 30min target !  2nd run due tomorrow image)

• Options
    Good run Slap-a-belly and hope you hit that 30 min mark.
  • Options

Well I have stuck to my plan for 7 weeks now. Really pleased so far. Just been out and completed my 3rd 10k run this week. Sunday, I will start increasing my distance in training for the HM, will be doing 7 miles.

Week 7. Run 3. 6.2 miles (10k). 53m09s. 8:31 min/mile

• Options
    Well done Nathan, and welcome back Slap.

I'm out tomorrow morning hoping to get 10 miles under my belt, did 9.6 last week, but I've only got 1.5 hours to do it in.
  • Options
    Good run Slap-a-belly and hope you hit that 30 min mark.
  • Options
    Good evening all,

Hope any runs have gone good for all.

I've been out today, run 10 miles in 1hr 26mins. 8.37min/miles just mile 2 let me down, got a stitch and issues with my phone recording. Had the stitch issue in both my last long runs, if I could sort that out I'd be happy.
  • Options
    Nice run Peter, great pace.

I am just heading out for 7 miles then back to watch the marathon!
  • Options

Week 7 : Run 4 : 7 miles : 1hr00m13s : 8:36 min/mile

• Options
    Great running Nathan and Peter, I've not run since sat last week as we've been away I'm out later. I watched the marathon today and was very disappointed I the comments about Mo Farrah, his first ever London marathon and all they did was say he should go back to track events! I saw a great athlete finish in the top ten behind the fastest man ever, I really don't think he failed in any way. He seemed determined to come back and better himself its not ljke he turned up for his first ever 5000 m race and won so why the pressure today. Anyway off topic today but I thought he did bloody well.
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you Nick. I spent 5 1/2 hours stood on the embankment today and was thrilled to see Mo run past - he achieved a great deal. He's a firm favourite with the crowds and was only 4 minutes behind the winner who set a new course record - an impressive debut in my books!

I was meant to run 6 miles today but came back exhausted so will have to schedule it in tomorrow - 3 weeks until my first race of the year and I want to do well!

Hope you're all ok. I for my sins am having to sit here and watch the Masters - it's the price I have to pay for watching the marathon on tv when I got home!
  • Options
    Nice run Peter, great pace.

I am just heading out for 7 miles then back to watch the marathon!
  • Options
    Hi all, my first run for a week logged 6.2miles in 45min 11sec. I only went out to run 4miles but felt good so went a bit further. I'm thinking of maybe joining my local running club but it seems a bit serious so I'm unsure. I unfortunately don't know anyone in the club but might ask around at my local park run when I gey there in a couple of weeks.

Are any of you in a club? And whats it like?
  • Options
    Good evening,

Good run Nick. I'm not a member of any clubs, so I can't advise.
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Nick - most running clubs allow you to go along for a few sessions before you have to join so it's worth considering.

Didn't get round to running yesterday - too much to do around the house but am going to get out there today image
  • Options

Hi Nick

I joined the running club after doing their couch to 5k programme.  There's over 200 members and there's really a group for everybody on the Monday night club runs.  I've progressed from the 30 minute steady group to 45 minute group.  I hope to join the 10 minute mile1 hour group soon.  There was a women's club race last week (first time it was held).  Very well organised and I really enjoyed the camaraderie.  My first 5 mile run in 52:49.  Happy days.  They also arrange a lot of social events over the year (yearly awards night, summer BBQ, post Belfast Marathon 'do').  To keep in touch during the week, there's emailsof up-coming races, results etc and there's a Facebook page.

I have to say, from a beginner who isn't going to ever break any records or win any races, they have a good attitude towards those of us who run for fun as well as giving support to the more elite runners.

Happy running all!

Nicky

• Options

Sounds like a great club Nicky, there is one local to me but not sure about joining. I am considering going to spinning but seems pretty well booked up.

Had a nice run this morning in the sun: Week 8 : Run 1 : 6.2 miles (10k) : 53m50s : 8:38 min/mile

• Options

Good morning all,

That's a nice steady pace there Nathan, well done.