Options

Mutual Support and Encouragement for fellow Newbies

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the replys I'm going to look into my local club and see what they have to offer.
  • Options

Hello everyone, I am new and thought this thread looked like the one that might help keep me and my wayward ways on track! I have attempted many times before to do some exercise - i get all motivated then lose interest but I want to change and stick at something to see real results. I'm 32 (just turned) and need to stop the rot!

Working life is VERY unhealthy - sitting all day not even going to printer and occasionally going out for lunch time walks of around 30 mins. Oh and sweets/biscuits and cakes are less than 8 ft away! Not. Good.

I used to follow the Beginners Index 0-30 mins run/walk schedule and managed to run (slow jog!) for about 12mins at a time. Then life got in the way, I made my excuses and that was that. I want to try again. I don't want to be a bit tubby anymore getting to old for that and want to feel more like myself. I'm probably a couple of stone overweight so want to shift that or at least a stone too.

Phew...sounds like an AA meeting! Anyways, hi and I hope that you can support me along the way!

Kirsty image

• Options

Hello and welcome Kirsty,

It does sound a bit like an AA meeting lol,  not that I've ever been to one of those. I'm sure that we'll all be able to support you on the way.

• Options

Hi and welcome Kirsty. I got back into running this year and set myself some goals. I am now on week 8 of my plan and have seen real improvement in longer distances and quicker pace. I have lost pretty much a stone now. 

This is a great group and I hope you stick at it, there is lots of support. I am also a member of MyFitnessPal and the tracking of my food has really helped, if your not on it its worth a look.

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Kirsty - have you started out already? Following a programme?

I got out this morning but my legs for some reason felt really tired so 3.4 miles for me. Will run again on Thursday, parkrun on Saturday and a longer run on Sunday - must try and crack that six miles this week!
  • Options
    Hello kirsty, im 32 too. Try one of the couch to 5km programmes if you haven't already. They're easy to download and have a good structure, I started this way and so did alot of us. Having biscuits 8 foot away sounds brilliant image ( I'm a bit of a cookie monster).

If you run record it in some way phone apps are great but even write it in a diary because being able to look back on your progress is very motivating and post it on here because we like to know how you get on.

Good luck
  • Options
    Good evening all,

Biscuits that close to me would be a disaster, I'd be the size of a house in weeks.

As Nick says recording your runs is a good idea, you will see the difference over time, I use www.fetcheveryone.com to record mine,
  • Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for the response. I just put on my trainers and started with a 1 min V slow jog and 1 min walk repeated 9 times. Got cramp in my calves but kept going. I am very unfit, more unfit than I thought actually! But I stuck at it. Planning to use the beginner schedules on here as they look straight forward (if not easy). I know HIIT supposed to be great but I need something simple to concentrate on when I'm tired and I feel a lot of tiredness will come my way. I'm pleased I did something although feel a little tired and a bit like coughing a lot!
  • Options
    Well done Kirsty, that's half the battle getting out there. The one thing I will say is take it slow for a start, and build up gradually, and don't feel too bad if you have a bad session, we all do even the great athletes do, the trick is just to get back on the horse type thing.
  • Options
    Thanks - yeah I'm going to rest tomorrow then try and get back on it on Thursday. Think consistency will be key to me enjoying it more as when becomes a little easier you can feel the progress
  • Options
    Well done great start, I agree with Peter take it nice and steady, the coughing should ease as you get into it, I struggle with coughing if I overdo it of don't warm up properly.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick, took your advice and got one of those 0-5k apps to help me and ensure I do adequate warm up. Feel a little tired in the legs today but feeling positive and quite energetic - want to do again but know I should rest today. Will let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed I'll stick at it this time.
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Kirsty - when I first started I used a very similar programme to train for Race for Life and now have 4 marathons under my belt. Take care to work slowly on it - you don't want to hurt yourself and get discouraged image
  • Options

Hi Kirsty, and well done for taking the first step.  You're in good hands as most of us didn't start running as fitness gurus image.  I lost 2.5 stone last year through diet and general cardio (cycling, rowing) at our very small, but perfectly adequate work gym.  I started running November, then did a couch to 5k program through my local running club in January.  I ran a 5 mile race last week and am regularly running 3+ miles on training runs now and have done a couple of Parkruns.  It's not always easy - some days I really haven't got the motivation, but days where I'm in the mood, I'm loving getting out.  Go nice and slow.  Try and find others who want to start running as well, if you can.  Make sure you allow plenty of rest in between runs and don't stress.  Most of all, enjoy!

Nicky

• Options

Hello all.

Yesterday I ran 10km for the first time in my life. I only finished C25K five weeks ago, so I'm pleased I completed the run without collapsing, but I really wonder if I've bitten off more than I can chew. I'm using a plan created by My Asics and I've really enjoyed the challenge but strewth, what the hell was I thinking?! It was a laborious plod around a beautiful sunny park but I didn't get anywhere near my proposed 'race' pace. Thankfully, I only have short (4.8km) runs over the next week. when this plan is finished I'm going to work on my 5k speed before tackling any longer distances.

*ramble over*

• Options
    I well done chelle68 10km is a very good distance to achieve regardless of pace so you should feel please yourself. With distance work comes stamina and this in turn will make shorter runs easier and faster.

What's the final distance your working towards or is it a time?
  • Options
    Wow chelle68 that is great! I can't even imagine that yet but sounds like you have really stuck at it. Stories like this are very motivating for newbies!
  • Options

Thanks Nick and Kirsty.

The 10km was the goal: there's another five runs until 28 April, then the 10km plan is over. Ultimately, I'm aiming to run a half by winter, which I think I should be able to do, but I'd also like to do a sub 30 minute 5km.

Kirsty, I honestly didn't think I'd be at the stage where 10km was even thinkable, but I've stuck to my plan, come wind, rain, shine, social invitations, work and so on and it gets a teeny bit easier every time. Nick's advice of logging all your runs really helps as it's great to look back and see how you've improved over time. Oh, I've changed my eating habits and I've lost nearly two stone since the New year. With summer on the way, if that doesn't motivate you...

Elle

• Options
    Approx 3miles tonight, nice and mild and a lovely peaceful run down the canal bank and back. I'm loving the lighter nights but I'd forgotten the bloody flies! Why do they all want to fly at your eyes/nose/mouth or all three?
  • Options
    Good running Nick. So far no flies on my runs thankfully, but its great having the lighter nights.

I need to get out at some point this week, only done 11 miles so far.
  • Options
    Peter do you happen to know how to change the profile picture orientation. Mine always ends up sideways even though its correct when viewed in my photos. I've tried rotating it in my album but doesn't seem to work, just thought I'd ask.
  • Options
    Nice lot of activity on here and some great running and progress!

I went to my first spin class tonight, wow that was a serious workout. 45 mins on the spin bike was super intense!
  • Options
    Sorry Nick I have no idea, sounds a bit like another website bug.
  • Options

Legs a little sore this morning after spinning last night but had a nice early 10k run in the sun!

Week 8 : Run 2 : 6.2 miles (10k) : 53m27s : 8:33 min/mile

• Options

Have my kit ready to attempt my second run tonight, I have had a days rest but have stiffness (like if you did some weights or something) in my calves and thighs. I assume that it's just from underusing the muscles. I'm guessing it's ok to continue with the run walk regime at this time as more discomfort and stiffness rather than pain?

• Options
    Yes you should be fine kirsty, just slow down or stop if it hurts it's probably just the muscles stretching and working especially if you don't use those ones often. Bet you ache worse on Saturday, it's normally 36-48 hours after I run hard that I proper ache.
  • Options

lol that's great need to keep it up and not wimp out. The aching must be similar to what you guys feel after far longer such is the state of my fitness - but that will change in time.

• Options
    It does take time Kirsty, but remember the aches are generally just the muscles that aren't used to being used like that, but if it gets painful just stop as that's when you are actually doing damage.

Good running Nathan
  • Options
    Well run Nathan, and quicker than last time.