Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 4

Comments

• Options

Forgot to say well done on the 20m, Stewart, great effort considering the wind etc!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Cleanshoes - How are your legs now?

You may find that although this 20 miler was draining - training in the heat of the day will hold you in good stead come race day where you may be running in the hot.

Stewart - how are you doing?

• Options

Legs are ok today, except my left shin is a little sore. Hope it's not shin splints! The trainers I have should have plenty of life left in them (I reckon I've done about 250-300 miles in them) and I know they are a good fit / type for my running style. Never had issues before with my shins so should clear up.

I'll see how my 5 miler goes tonight, hopefully will clear it up.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Cleanshoes, how are your calfs, get on the roller and give them a good seeing too,

Emmy, shame the boards have been blocked at work image, I'm delighted to have made it relatively unscathed to the taper, with any luck I'll get through the next three weeks and still be sane image

----------------------------------------------------

Rest/XT day yesterday and the first day of my taper, so I decided to give body pump a go last night I enjoyed the class but boy it was a lot harder than it looked and I'm feeling it a bit today, trust me to ignore the rule about starting something new image, finished the evening off with body balance.

An easy run this evening, I imagine the first few miles will be very slow,

• Options

Hi Stewart, calfs seem absolutely fine but I am going to have a good session on the roller tonight after my 5 miles.

• Options

Lee - Marakech sounds interesting. Work or holiday?

Enjoy the taper everyone. Mine starts Sunday night - can't come soon enough image

• Options

I'm back. Marrakech was work and play. It was presidents club so you are with some of the best performing work colleagues and their partners. It's fun and the resort was fantastic. Only downside is you have to spend every evening with your colleagues rather than on your own with your wife. I didn't know a lot of them so you tend to go through the same conversations. That said I met some very nice people.

I managed to get out for a 5 mile Easy on Monday. It's not everyday that you run past camels and ponies on street corners.

I still have an 11 Mile MWLR and a 5 Mile Tempo to do. I haven't managed to get out tonight thanks to finding a leaking pipe on arrival home.

I will do the 11 mile MWLR tomorrow night but the 5 mile tempo may have to become a 5 mile easy as I have the 22 Mile long run on Saturday.

Glad to see Emmy back!

• Options

Ah course, remember now about the president's club thing

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Welcome back Lee, I hope you have enjoyed your time away, and a nice run in the sun, not that I'm at all jealous.

Cleanshoes, fingers crossed the rollers helps image

Weedy, I'm also looking forward to the effects of the taper, mainly the legs feeling light and springy again image

----------------------------------

I've been AWOL from here for a few days but I'm still putting in the runs, I manage an easy 5 on Tuesday, 10 on Wednesday and 4 last night, it was horrible out last night driving sleety rain, the temps have drop considerably too and it's not likely to improve any time soon image

• Options

Thought I posted last night!

Did 11 Mile MWLR last night and legs felt it a tiny bit this morning. When I got in tonight I did 5 Miles but took it easy as I have 22 Miles tomorrow. Perhaps I should have rested.

So close to that Taper now I can smell it!

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Lee, a good couple of runs, hope the conditions are good for your long run tomorrow

----------------------------------------

Easy 4 on the treadie last night before body pump, it was awful out and I didn't fancy doing the class in wet gear, kept the weight light which made for a far more enjoyable session and I'm able to move the arms freely this morning image

10 miles D&D this morning, I decided to make it a hilly run with a couple of inclines in the first 5 miles, I was happy the legs felt strong.  17 mile LR tomorrow to finish of the week.

• Options

That was one of the toughest runs I have ever done. I don't think it looked good when my legs were still aching a bit from the Thursday and Friday runs. In hindsight I should have dropped the Friday run. It was probably junk miles. I haven't mentioned that I have a cold that I picked up last weekend, probably on the flight. It hasn't really affected me that much but today my nose was streaming throughout the run. That probably meant I lost more fluid than normal! I guess Marrakech didn't help either...

So the Long 22 Mile run. I was struggling before halfway and had to stop and walk. I pushed myself up to 19 miles but the 20th I stopped. Somehow I managed to start running again and really pushed myself to not stop again. So in all, I ran 21 miles and walk/ran the other one mile. I'm very surprised with the splits which I should have tried to do slower. It's done now though. The legs are very stiff!

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Lee well done toughening it out, recover well and get some life back into those legs

----------------------------------

17 mile LR today, the legs felt quite good for a change and I settled into a pace that was a bit quicker than I usually run at but it was still in the easy range, the last couple of miles were a little tougher with a little tightening around the hip/glute area.

Stats: 17.1mi, 2:45:58, 9:42mm, 147(77%)
    Weekly: 50.4mi, 8:23:14, 9:59mm, 144(76%)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all!

Lee - good to hear that Marrakesh went well! How is your cold now?

RE: LSR; What happened at Mile 7? Your times do look a little fast but am impressed with your last few miles and their consistency.

If you're still feeling rough today - knock any recovery run on the head and focus on some quality rest and hydrating. Do you know your resting heart rate at all?

Stewart - You and me both! I hate that they're restrictive in this wayimage I cant even log in at lunch.

Am very impressed with your LSR of 17 miles. That's a great average there. Out of interest - what was your max heart rate during the run?

• Options

Emmy - Mile 7 was a toilet breakimage

I haven't measured my resting heart rate this time around. The good news is the cold is still in the head but other than making me snore at night isn't too bad. A recovery run shouldn't be too much of a problem. The legs don't feel too stiff. The thighs were very stiff Sunday!

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

There was some drift from mile 12 which normally happens, I felt in control all the way and was not overly fatigued at the end, see splits below, 

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/466306161

• Options

Had to move a few things around last week as work has suddenly got mega busy but managed to knock out my three runs and a wee bit of cross training.

Weds got 5 miles in easy, then Saturday did 5 miles, with mile 3 at aroun 9m/m to get the legs turning over faster.

I'm into my taper (race is two weeks yesterday!) so only 12m for me yesterday. Decided to do miles 8-11 at MP (revised 9.30 after my half marathon) with the last mile as a warm down. Felt good and a nice little confidence boost to chuck in those 3 miles at MP with no ill effects.

The Hal Higdon plan I've been following (ish) suggests for this week:

4m easy Tues

3m easy Weds

4m easy Thurs

8m Sat

Cross on Sunday

As I've been switching Wednesdays from a run to a session on the exercise bike, I'll do the same this week so instead of 3m run, it will be about 40mins on the bike, nice and steady though instead of hilly program I usually use. I'll also be doing an easy 20 mins on the bike tonight followed by a good stretch and roller session.

I usually switch my long run and cross training at the weekend so I swim on Saturday and get the long run in on Sunday (generally have a bit more time free on a Sunday). Given only 8 miles though I might revert to the run on Saturday morning and then a decent swim on Sunday at some point.

• Options

Recovery 5 Miles done. Probably a little quicker than I should have but it was getting dark along the old railway line. Thighs still a bit sore but everything else fine. 

I won't be able to run tomorrow as I am at a conference all day so possibly a rest day although I will be on my feet all day. It means the 8 Mile MWLR will be Wednesday with the 5 Miles Tempo on Thursday.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lee Clark 70 wrote (see)

Emmy - Mile 7 was a toilet breakimage

I haven't measured my resting heart rate this time around. The good news is the cold is still in the head but other than making me snore at night isn't too bad. A recovery run shouldn't be too much of a problem. The legs don't feel too stiff. The thighs were very stiff Sunday!

Ahh... That makes sense!! That's a quick pee stop! Thats good to hear that its just  a head cold

StewartC wrote (see)

There was some drift from mile 12 which normally happens, I felt in control all the way and was not overly fatigued at the end, see splits below, 

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/466306161

That's good to hear that you felt alright and managed to control yourself. Looking good!!

Lee Clark 70 wrote (see)

Recovery 5 Miles done. Probably a little quicker than I should have but it was getting dark along the old railway line. Thighs still a bit sore but everything else fine. 

I won't be able to run tomorrow as I am at a conference all day so possibly a rest day although I will be on my feet all day. It means the 8 Mile MWLR will be Wednesday with the 5 Miles Tempo on Thursday.

You're right - its a little fast but thats fine - your heart rate looks ok for recovery.

To have those back to back days isnt too bad and as long as you take it in your stride - you should be fine. Whats your LSR for this weekend?

• Options

Back to back days are great fun image

• Options

My LSR is just a 14 miler unless you think I should be doing something different?

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Cleanshoes, a good plan for the week, your  legs will be like a coiled spring come race day image

Lee, well done with the recovery run, even if it was a little too quickimage

----------------------------

body pump on Monday night, I kept the weight light, but it was still a good workout, 6 miles last night 3 on my tod and 3 with the group, all is well image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lee - that sounds fine. Lets see how you get on. I'd expect your body to be able to perform pretty well. Hows the cold?

Cleanshoes - sounds like a good week!

Stewart - I love body pump! How is JS going?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Yes,... but you're also the runner who runs 7 marathons in 7 daysimage

• Options
    E mmy wrote (see)

Lee - that sounds fine. Lets see how you get on. I'd expect your body to be able to perform pretty well. Hows the cold?

Cleanshoes - sounds like a good week!

Stewart - I love body pump! How is JS going?

The cold is fine. Just a bit snotty and no longer in the head and hasn't spread to the chest.

• Options
    E mmy wrote (see)

Calling it running's a bit of an exaggeration image

• Options

Well a work social event that I had forgotten about and was forced to go as my team had arranged, got in the way yesterday (bowling, I was beyond useless) so shunting things on a night means 4 miles tonight, bike tomorrow and 4 miles tomorrow. I'll switch the swimming and 8 miler back again!

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Emmy, I've just start to go to the class and I'm enjoying it, JS group is going well it is good to see them progress through the groups as they become fitter.

Lee, good to hear the cold is getting better

Weedy I call it nuts image

cleanshoes, the joys, but it's good you can be flexible

-------------------------

I decided in the end to stick with the plan it has got me this far so who am I to argue, however I will be trimming some miles of it however.

so it was 8 with 3 x 1m intervals with 0.5m recoveries between, a tough session but the length of the recoveries helped.

Splits pace: (7:34, 7:34, 7:36) happy enough with that image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    E mmy wrote (see)

Calling it running's a bit of an exaggeration image

Did you or did you not complete it? Now shush.

Stewart - Trust in your plan. That's some great intervals!! I'd be well chuffed with those times!

• Options

True. That's me shushed image

Well done Stewart