Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 4

Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lee/Stewart: How are things looking for this weekend? Have you worked out your race day clothing yet?

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Weedy, I can barely manage to walk after a marathon I couldn't imagine doing 7 on the bounce, you must have legs of steel image

Emmy, thanks the thought of intervals fills me with dread but I actually enjoy them once I get going image, race day clothing will be the same as it was for my two Half marathons, if it's warm I'll not wear a base layer, the plan for the rest of the week

F - 4 mile + body pump
    S - 5 miles + strides
    S - 10 miles 2@MP

-----------------------------------------

5 miles for me last night 2 before JS with some strides in 2nd mile and then it was another very easy 3 with the group. followed up by body balance for a good stretching session, body pump tomorrow, light weights again with a jog too and from.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Stewart - you're on fire at the moment! image Well done!

How are you handling the back to back days?

• Options

MWLR 8 Miles. Did this Wednesday night but thanks to a 3 hour drive back from Wellwyn Garden City last night couldn't get out to do this weeks Tempo. I'll be doing that later today. It does mean no rest day before tomorrow's 14 Mile Long but that shouldn't be a problem.

I know pretty much what I will be wearing during the race. It depends on the temperature whether it's just running vest or an undergarment.The rest I am settled on. I have also looked into how I am getting there but need to finalise that. The first train out of East Grinstead is at 8am so I am going to have to drive part of the way.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Back to back days don't seem too bother me, most of my running is at an easy pace with either a LT/interval session mid week it just lots and lots of miles.

I've been running 6 days on the bounce for the whole campaign, apart from my raced HM, I believe I did 5 days in total with 3 consecutively, which will be the same next week.

M - Sports massage , might also do body balance
    T - 6 miles easy
    W - 5 w 2@MP
    T - 4 miles easy
    F - Rest
    S - 2 miles + strides
    S - Race

• Options

Tempo 5 Miles - I decided to make the Tempo part (3miles) my timed race for Jantastic. I predicted 22:30 which would mean hitting 7:30 for each mile. I didn't quite make a 100% score as I finished in 22:16 (Garmin Connect although SportTracks says 22:20). Royal flush splits of 7:29 / 7:25 / 7:21. That's the fastest so far!

Very happy with that as I was not feeling it when I started.

Oh No! I have just logged onto Jantastic and seen that I actually predicted 22:50! I was well out.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done Lee - it sounds like you've got a tough few weeks at work. Can you try to make your marathon week an easy week at work to get in some rest?

Stewart: that's good to hear. Be careful about body balance after the sports massge.

Lee - that's a good plan and well done on SMASHING your target. That's a great tempo run (a little fast but still). For your 14 miler this weekend - have a go a few miles in the warm up at MP and see how you get on. Maximum of 2-3 miles.

• Options

Marathon week diary is looking empty at the moment other than an all day meeting in the office on Thursday. Looks like I'll be at home Friday doing Webex's so Wednesday I will be trying to get to the Excel centre.

Sorry Emmy, for the 14 mile run, do you mean try 2-3 miles at MP after I have run say 5 Miles? Or I could do the last 3 at MP?

• Options

Both of you running well - you'll smash your targets at this rate

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

I hope so Weedy, 5 miles this morning with a few strides in the 4th mile, all is well image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

This is something from the Shades thread but I find it invaluable during the last week of marathon training.

Shades (see)

Now this was written for marathon virgins and some racing virgins and I expect the wording is aimed at London marathon 

Congratulations!!! You have now completed your marathon training. The next stage is to taper ready for the big day.

Tapering

This is the period that allows your body to recover from all that hard training and prepares you to be at your best by race day. Many runners find this a very difficult and frustrating time as you can feel that you should be out running. It is quite normal to feel quite lethargic at this time, but don’t be tempted to go out for an extra run, do any speed training or ‘test’ an injury. No training now will help you for race day, you need to take things easy.

Running –Your last Sunday run should be no further than 10 miles, pace very easy and relaxed. During the week one or two easy runs of 4 or 5 miles. No running after Thursday.

Food – Eat normally until Wednesday evening, but don’t skip any meals, try and eat something every 3 hours. From Wednesday evening until Saturday lunchtime reduce the amount of protein and fats in your diet. Proteins and fats stop you feeling hungry. For this period base all your meals on carbohydrates, you can still eat fruit and vegetables but avoid those that are filling but low on carbohydrates e.g. cabbage. You can eat plenty of rice, pasta and potatoes. Double the amount of these you would normally eat but only have half the usual amount of sauce or toppings. Bread, teacakes, bagels, scones etc are fine but try and use very little or no butter/spread. Warm teacakes etc in the microwave and you can probably do without any spread at all. Use jams or honey instead. For snacks, try oatcakes (no spread), rice cakes, high carb fruits – bananas, mangoes, etc -energy bars, breakfast cereals etc.  During this period you do not need to eat more than usual just increase the % of carbohydrates. For Saturday evening, I suggest you eat whatever you fancy (within reason). You will sleep better and feel more relaxed if you can eat what you want. Don’t eat a huge meal and don’t eat too late in the evening. A moderate portion of chicken, fish or meat is fine, with some carbohydrates too. This is not a time to try out anything that you have not eaten before.

Water – From now until race day you must ensure that you are well hydrated at all times. Keep a bottle of water in the car, at your desk, in your bag when shopping, whilst travelling to London and all the time you are in London before the race. As you increase your carbohydrate intake you will need to increase the amount of water too. You are eating more carbohydrates to enable you to store glycogen in your muscles and extra water is needed to store glycogen. You may find that you put on a couple of pounds, don’t worry, as soon as you start using the stored glycogen on race day that extra weight will go!If you allow yourself to become dehydrated, particularly in the last couple of days before the race, this will affect your race performance so don’t forget to take water to the Expo too.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big_G wrote (see)

Alcohol – Try and limit your intake this week. If you do have a drink ensure you take on extra water, all alcoholic drinks will dehydrate you.

Sleep – Try and get plenty sleep in the last week, no very late nights. The extra carbohydrates should help you sleep well.

Other – this is not a time to do anything strenuous, so postpone any spring cleaning, decorating etc., and don’t take up any new sports or activities that could give you an injury. Avoid people with colds, sore throats etc., wash your hands more often if you are concerned about catching viruses after contact.

Stress – Try and not to worry about your marathon debut. You have done the training, now by following these guidelines you will have prepared yourself to the best of your ability.

Saturday Evening

At the Expo you will be given a large plastic bag, affix the adhesive number (same as your race number) to the bag. Pack everything you will need for race day:-

Drinks for pre race 
    Food for pre and post race 
    Warm top (you will chill very quickly once you’ve finished) 
    Showerproof jacket 
    Vaseline 
    Sun cream 
    Bin Bag 
    Mobile phone 
    Gloves 
    Bin bag or old t-shirt 
    Enough money for hot drinks/food post race and transport 
    Bum bag with sweets etc 
    City Centre map

Affix the Championchip to your shoe

Affix your race number to your running top (check the weather first!)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big_G wrote (see)

Race Day Morning

If you don’t sleep well the night before the race, don’t worry, this will not affect your race performance.

Get up in plenty of time – use an alarm clock or your mobile phone.

You MUST eat breakfast even if you don’t feel hungry, it’s important to top up your glycogen levels before the race. If you find it hard to eat much at this time take some food or sports drink to the start with you.

The Race

There is no need to try and place yourself close to the start, go in your allocated area/pen, your chip will start your timing when you cross the start line. It may be congested for the first mile or so, be careful not to step on discarded bin bags etc in the early stages.

As with all races, don’t go off too fast. In a shorter race you can often recover from a hasty start, you CANNOT do this in a marathon and you will suffer painfully for this in the latter stages. Anyone who wants to know their ideal marathon pace, email me your most recent race times. Discipline yourself to go no faster than this pace until you get to halfway. Once you are at the halfway point run as you feel. By not going to fast for the first 13 miles you will find yourself overtaking many runners that started too fast and this will boost your confidence but not theirs.

Start taking on fuel (sweets, gels, sports drinks) nice and early, at the 4 or 5 mile point, don’t wait until you feel that you need something. Don’t rely on there being supplies of sports drinks available, it may have all gone by the time you get there. Take a drink at the first drink station which is at 3 miles. There are drink stations every mile thereafter, it is not necessary to take a drink at every station, every 3 miles should be adequate.

There are toilets en route, don’t waste time if there’s a queue. You will pass lots of pubs, garages, hotels etc., use those, nobody minds on marathon day.

You will experience a whole range of emotions when running a marathon and most people do have a spell when the going gets tough. Don’t think that you are going to feel like that for the rest of the race, your blood sugar will have dropped, take on some fuel, ease up on your pace and try and remain cheerful by talking to others around you. Other runners will be suffering too and a chat with a complete stranger can distract you and you may be helping them too. Take a walk if you need to, you do not have to run every step of the way to have a good race. There are lots of mental tricks you can use to remain focussed. 10 miles will be double figures, 13.1 miles (21km) is halfway and you will then be heading for home and counting down the distance from that point will help. Or you can divide the race by time, so if you’re aiming for 5 hours, divide the race into 5 x 1 hour chunks.

There is a lot of crowd support on the course and especially in the last mile and this will spur you on, try and smile as you run through the finish line – they’re taking your photo!

Collect your medal and your bag, put on your warm top as you will chill very quickly and have a drink. If you are unwell seek medical attention immediately. Make your way through the finish area (this area is not accessible to non-runners) and to your pre-arranged meeting point.

Eat and drink something as soon as you can after finishing, this will aid your recovery.

Congratulations – you are now part of 1% of the population – a marathon runner

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lee - I'd leave this up to you. I'd do it smack in the middle but look at the route you're running and see where it'd fit best?

• Options

Decided to do it at about 5 miles to ensure I didn't have to cross a busy road.

Long 14 Miles with 3 miles @ MP. Struggled to slow down at the beginning. I think it was adrenalin because I knew I had to do a bit at MP. MP felt fairly comfortable although again it was a bit faster than MP should be. In the race I am going to switch my Garmin to pace me in miles rather than kms. I expect it will not be so erratic. The MP I have been running would see me finish in about 3:45. I am going to go off at 3:50 pace. My A aim is to beat 4 hours not to get 3:45. If by 20 miles I am feeling good I can push on. Does that sound a reasonable plan?

Just seen the splits. Crikey, I really didn't slow down enough. Most within the right pace band but at the fast end. image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

a good run Lee well done

Emmy, some great advice there from Shades, 

------------------

The last double figure run done! 10 miles out and back to Dochgarroch this morning, I did two miles @ MP which felt comfortably hard,

Stats: 10.15m 1:37:27, 9:37mm 146(76%) MP (8:50, 8:43)

Weekly: 39.2m 6:25:49, 9:51mm, 144(75%)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all!

Lee Clark 70 wrote (see)

Decided to do it at about 5 miles to ensure I didn't have to cross a busy road.

Long 14 Miles with 3 miles @ MP. Struggled to slow down at the beginning. I think it was adrenalin because I knew I had to do a bit at MP. MP felt fairly comfortable although again it was a bit faster than MP should be. In the race I am going to switch my Garmin to pace me in miles rather than kms. I expect it will not be so erratic. The MP I have been running would see me finish in about 3:45. I am going to go off at 3:50 pace. My A aim is to beat 4 hours not to get 3:45. If by 20 miles I am feeling good I can push on. Does that sound a reasonable plan?

Just seen the splits. Crikey, I really didn't slow down enough. Most within the right pace band but at the fast end. image

It's GREAT that it felt good and its great that you had it in you to go for the faster aim but i'd stick with your goal: 3.50. Either go with a pacer or get a pace band at the VLM expo with your timing splits and stick to this. If you're feeling good at 20-21 then push on but no more than 10seconds per mile as you can still fall on your ass at mile 24image If you do feel good - take a gel at 19 miles to give you a final boost.

Must slow down but WELL DONE!!!!!!

StewartC wrote (see)

a good run Lee well done

Emmy, some great advice there from Shades, 

------------------

The last double figure run done! 10 miles out and back to Dochgarroch this morning, I did two miles @ MP which felt comfortably hard,

Stats: 10.15m 1:37:27, 9:37mm 146(76%) MP (8:50, 8:43)

Weekly: 39.2m 6:25:49, 9:51mm, 144(75%)

That's a good strong pacing Stewart! You should be really proud of yourself. For this week - make sure you're focusing on rest. Your race is this weekend if i remember correctly?

What's on your plan for this week?

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Emmy, See below for this weeks' plan, I've decided to take an additional rest day on Wednesday,

M - Sports massage , might also do body balance
    T - 6 miles easy
    W - Rest
    T - 4 miles easy
    F - Rest
    S - 2 miles + strides
    S - Race

• Options

Oops naughty me, did 2 MP miles in my 8 miler yesterday. Felt good though.

Plan for this week is:

Tonight - VERY gentle cycle and stretch

T - 4 m easy

W  - gentle cycle and stretch

T - 4 m easy

Sunday - race!

Might go for a gentle 2 m on Saturday with a few strides but will see how I feel. Fly out on Friday.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Stewart: That's a good plan. As a question for your 2 miles +strides on saturday. does the plan dictate this or you do it? Reason I ask is because normally before race day - they'll prescribe rest but I know some runners who dont like to take that rest day as it loosens up their legs. Just wanted to see your take on it.

Looks like a good easy week for you

Cleanshoes- Take yourself off to the naughty stepimage Well done on the 2MP miles. What made you add it in and where? Which race are you doing to fly out to?

• Options

I probably made the classic newbie mistake of thinking that as the mileage dropped off during my taper, it would be worthwhile to add in a bit of quality work (read so many conflicting things about tapers but a lot of articles seemed to recommend it, although the plan I have been working to didn't really). It was definitley a case of only doing it if I felt fine up to that point. 

I did miles 5-7 of my 8 miler at MP, wanted to have some miles in the legs before going at MP but also have a cool down mile at the end.

In terms of the race, I'm off to Zurich. Not exactly one of the big European marathons but I think there are a good 5,000 or so runners. I have a friend who recently moved out there who has done a lot of marathons (2hr48 pb I believe!) and we sort of talked each other into doing it. I also spent summer 2012 living and working out there so a good chance to see some old colleagues. Despite being in Switzerland, they've somehow managed to find 26.2 flat miles for the race image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Cleanshoes - thats one of the things about running - what works for one may not work for another. I personally would be very careful when looking at your plan and only doing what you know your body can reasonably manage. Remember during the last weeks of taper - your body should be rest mode for the race ahead - not tired from training.

Ooh - Zurich - now i remember! I was wondering if you were in Paris. That sounds like a great race.

• Options

I'll certainly be doing all easy stuff from now onwards and putting my feet up as much as possible other than that.

Oops! Had another look at my plan and I had in fact misread the week! I'm actually supposed to do just 3m tomorrow, 2m Weds and 2m Sat.

Still going to do my gentle cycle and stretch tonight, though. It's worked for me throughout and the point tonight is just to do 20 minutes on a very easy setting to loosen up my legs and then have a good stretching / roller session. Other than that though I will stick to the plan and keep the pace for all three runs very easy. Having Thursday off is helpful as it gives me more time to pack and triple check I have everything!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Cleanshoes - Its good to keep up with the crosstraining and making sure that you follow the plan.

• Options

Thanks for posting the Shades advice for the Marathon week. Very helpful! A lot of my questions have been answered.

Did Easy 5 Miles today only to find out it should have been a 5 Miles Tempo.  Doh!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Lee - I post shades advice because it's the best I've found yet.

No worries about 5 easy. It's not going to ruin your day image I'm really chuffed with how you're progressing and your steady results!

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Cleanshoes, looking good, it is all about recovery now image

Lee, nice easy run image

Emmy, P&D would have me running 28m + race in the final week with 4 miles easy on the Saturday,  I decided to cut back on the miles and add a rest day on Wednesday and Friday.  I did 3 miles with strides before my HM at Kinloss and it didn't have a negative effect on the race, it will probably stop me from climbing the walls on Saturday more than anything else image I'll probably only do around 4 stride outs and the rest of the run at recovery pace

---------------------

Didn't go to body balance last night after all, the calves were a little tender afterwards, JS this evening I'm not sure which group I'll have so I'll probably need to get a short run in before to make up the mileage.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Stewart: I can understand the reasoning. I know a lot of people that run the day before to stop themselves going taper mad! image

Good plan to keep the pace nice and even. How are you feeling? Anything that you want advice/help with?

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Emmy, I'm climbing the walls this week, pre race nerves have  kicked in, I'm feeling aches and pains even walking around, I just want it to be race day already image apart from all that I'm in fine fettleimage

I would like to hear how you go about your race day strategies

With all your marathon experience, how do you go about avoiding going off too quickly? maintain race pace even when it gets really tough, what do you do to deal with the mental side of the race especially when it gets hard.

--------------------------------

6.8 miles last night, 2 before with some strides, the legs were not at there best despite feeling strong they were gripping a little, hopefully it was just because of the massage.

4.75 mile with JS, working a little harder on the inclines image

• Options

Very easy 3 miles last night, with 2 to follow tonight.

Like Stewart I am starting to get a bit fidgety now and want to get going with it all.

Have started to add a few more carbs to my diet as of last night at the expense of some fat and protein. Had the expected effect of making me more hungry now. Also keeping a 1l water bottle with me at all times and frequently refilling it to keep hydrated.

Btw, I assume cake and chocolate don't count as carb loadingimageimage