Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 4

Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Stewart image

Trust me when I say that it's completely normal!

Pre-Race:

• I follow Shades's strategy for pre-race up to the day before - this includes plenty of sleep and water.
    • On the saturday I'll go to the expo but try to limit the time on my feet
    • Evening: I try to eat regularly and have a simple pasta and tomato sauce the night before.
    • I'll set out my race day clothing and bag, make sure my number is on right etc and the number of gels i want and go from there
    • Race day: Up until marathon #45 I never slept well the night before -'so i'd be up around 4-5am and read in bed until it was "time"
    • I eat my porridge and then do the toilet routine (i need to go for a #2 twice, pee lots etc)
    • I'll then have a muesli bar (get buzzing bar) an hour before race start. I've tried having gels but the bar works for me. I'll be sipping water but not a lot.

At the race location:

• I locate the toilets/bush first and go there and relieve myself.
    • I navigate my way to where I need to be and if i've got time either sit down or just make my way to the start and start talking to people.
    • During this time - im making sure that i take DEEP breathes, calm my heart rate and just absorb the surroundings. Smile, relax into the race that's ahead

The Start:

• Most city races go on a phased start so keep on your foil blanket/old clothes until you actually see the starting gantry. Too many people take it off too early and then get cold.
    • Go for the last pee if you need to (in the pen if needs beimage)
    • Position yourself correctly. Dont be in the middle but also dont be on the very edge. These are the positions that get the most jostling in the first few km.
    • Dont start to run before you've crossed the start line. It's a rookie mistake and you risk tripping over bottes/other peoples disguarded clothes etc.

The first few KM:

• Imagine the marathon as a wave. You let the crowd go out - this is YOUR race - not theirs and keep an eye on a few of them (i normally choose brightly coloured or easily recognisable) and let them go... the tide will come back in during 30-40km and you will pass them. Trust me on this.... and then you can "knock" off the people that overtook you initially. I call it: reeling in the fishes. In Barca - we kept an even 6km/h pace and overtook 2000 people in the last 10km.
    • For the first few KM - i normally keep a pace band with the times to make sure that I start off on the right pace. I dont trust my garmin current pace but look at the average pace over a mile/km. This will be your best bet.
    • A good pace band is here: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Marathon_Pace_Band You can set it up so it has even pacing/fade at the end etc. I laminate this with some sellotape and it works well. If you're at a big city - they sometimes do this for you.
    • You need to be strict with yourself and remind yourself of what you can do and what your plan is. Your plan is not to run sub 8 minute miles. It's to run 8.30's or whatever your ideal is. If you need support (e.g. set up a pace guard on garmin) then do this but be aware of your times and splits. This could be as simple as: get to half way under 2hrs or it could be 10k breakdowns.
    • NOTE: PACERS. BE CAREFUL. Check with the pacer in the starting pen about their plan for the race. Do they plan on even splits? positive? negative? How far under the goal are they planning to run? Some sub 4 pacers aim for 3.58 others 3.59.59. Dont rely on them during the race. Some sub 4 pacers start fu
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Cont'd.

• NOTE: PACERS. BE CAREFUL. Check with the pacer in the starting pen about their plan for the race. Do they plan on even splits? positive? negative? How far under the goal are they planning to run? Some sub 4 pacers aim for 3.58 others 3.59.59. Dont rely on them during the race. Some sub 4 pacers start further behind you in the pens so are not reliable and may not always keep the pace that they should

When you're in the race - take it easy. Focus on your form and do a body check. How do you feel? is there anything tight? I like to do a "check" and say to myself: shoulders, loose? CHECK! Core, firm? CHECK! Yes... this is a way to pass the time image Does that help?

That sounds like a good run last night - take it easy for the next few days and see how you get on during your easy run. I think it could have been the massage or good ol'taper madness!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Cleanshoes - X-post!

I dont think they do countimage Well done on adding in the water image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

/members/images/334358/Gallery/10155949_666062476788766_1095173120_n.jpg

This is for you Stewart and Cleanshoes

• Options

Some awesome advice. 

I've got the jitters already. Every run now I can feel the adrenalin flowing and I still have over a week to go!

Today was supposed to be a MWLR 6 Miles with 1 mile at MP. Thanks to that adrenalin it was very much at the fast end. My stupid Garmin was also full and so wouldn't start the workout. Every other time it has auto deleted the oldest activity but not today. Glad it was today and not Sunday 13th. The MP I tried to keep to what I will actually be running in London. I have realised that the MP I have done all through my training would get me 3hrs42.

I am supposed to do a 5 Mile Tempo tomorrow (more likely Friday) but I am tempted to make the middle 3 miles my projected MP to get a feel for it. It should feel very easy. What do you think Emmy?

In case you aren't around for the next couple of days... Very good luck Stewart and Cleanshoes

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lee - I have that as well. I always feel bad deleting the old entries! Well done on the MWLR; although a little fast I can understand why!

To be honest - I cant see why running the middle 3 miles at MP would be an issue. Just keep it easy and make sure that your first and last miles are relaxed and easy. I'm always cautious about overdoing it' and setting expectations. Yes, it should feel easy but don't feel disheartened if its not. Before running my sub 4 in Berlin I had a week of the worst runs ever (dead legs etc). Come race day - they seemed to magically perk into life!

RE: Next week - NO RUNS AT MP. You can keep it easy, go for a cycle, do gentle stuff but its your taper time. Yes, you may be like Stewart and go a little dolalleyimagebut you need to make sure that you're giving your body the chance to prepare for race day.

For this weekend's LSR - try to replicate race day. Have the same meal as the night before, get up at the same time, eat the same brekkie etc. It's just to prepare yourself.

I'm so excited for you all!

• Options

Well I got my easy 2 miler out of the way last night. Did it on the treadmill at the work gym as I had a random bout of paranoia about getting hit by a bus / falling in the canal if I went outside! What a numpty...

Just about to do online check-in for my flight. Decided to fly from City tomorrow which I am now very glad about. DLR from my place then down the escalator and into the terminal. Bliss. Will be very helpful on Monday when I come back as well. The last thing I want to be doing is fighting my way back across London from either Gatwick or Luton.

I'll be back on with a full write up early next week. In the meantime, good luck Stewart! Sure you'll absolutely smash it.

• Options

Next week only sees me doing two Easy 4 Mile runs. Listening to MT, the P&F plan sounds like it's still a bit crazy going right up to Saturday.

I've just found out that I am in the blue start which means I need to re-plan my journey as I need to get to Blackheath rather than Maze Hill. If I am lucky it may be slightly less busy than the others areas trains.

Emmy - How's your toe? I read on Shades' thread that you were struggling with it and it may affect Paris.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Emmy, thanks for the race day advice I'm make sure I will read it again before the weekend, good luck in Paris this weekend I hope you have a great time image

Lee, thanks image another good run, good luck with the MP run on Friday

Cleanshoes, Good luck at the weekend I have no doubt you will achieve your goal image, well done with the 2 on the treadie, I'm planning taking the 3 mile group down the canal tonight, I'm nor running on the waterside of the pathimage

--------------------------

No run or x training last night instead I went to Pockets for a game of pool with my son, happy to report I won convincingly image

JS tonight will be taking the 3 mile group but will do a mile before hand

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    cleanshoes wrote (see)

Well I got my easy 2 miler out of the way last night. Did it on the treadmill at the work gym as I had a random bout of paranoia about getting hit by a bus / falling in the canal if I went outside! What a numpty...

I'll be back on with a full write up early next week. In the meantime, good luck Stewart! Sure you'll absolutely smash it.

Good luck for Zurich!

Don't worry - I feel the need to be wrapped up in cotton wool in one week pre-marathon. Its murphy's law that you could be hit by a bus... or in my case - ride a scooter with my dog and stomp my big toe on the floor trying to slow him down and not drag myself into a canalimage

Lee Clark 70 wrote (see)

Next week only sees me doing two Easy 4 Mile runs. Listening to MT, the P&F plan sounds like it's still a bit crazy going right up to Saturday.

I've just found out that I am in the blue start which means I need to re-plan my journey as I need to get to Blackheath rather than Maze Hill. If I am lucky it may be slightly less busy than the others areas trains.

Emmy - How's your toe? I read on Shades' thread that you were struggling with it and it may affect Paris.

Blue start is definitely a good start and i find it an easier start.

Yeah - As i mentioned above - sunday afternoon I was out with my dog on his scooter to get rid of some of his energy and he saw some geese in the canal that he wanted to say hello to... so he sped towards them at a rate of knots. I put the brakes on and decided to use my foot to slow him down but did so by putting my toes down first. Cue a sharp stabbing pain in my big toe. It was initially a suspected fracture/ligament tear but after some ultrasound - it's all clear and just a tendon strain.

I've been for some walks and did my first run so i'm just going to see how I get on. At the moment - i cant bend my big toe fully so sub 4 goal is probably out of the window for me image

StewartC wrote (see)

No run or x training last night instead I went to Pockets for a game of pool with my son, happy to report I won convincingly image

JS tonight will be taking the 3 mile group but will do a mile before hand

Excellent!! image Good to see that you're holding down the fort! How are you feeling as the day approaches?

• Options

Tempo 5 Miles with the 3 miles actually at MP. Surprisingly they were closer to the pace than I thought. It felt easy but I thought I was going much too fast. I have a lot less doubts about holding that pace than the 8:30 per mile I have been training at. Hopefully I should have a lot left in the tank at 20 miles.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

That's great! Well done Lee! Its good that they felt good

.You're doing 10miles this weekend?

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Well that is done, the last 2 mile trundle before Lochaber tomorrow, the legs felt fresh and bouncy today even with the odd twinge here and there, I believe I'm in the best shape I could be so as long as I don't go off like a train I'll feel I can get that elusive sub 4. image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done Stewart!

Good luck to you andclean shoes tomorrow!

• Options

Long 10 Miles - a bit quicker than I wanted to do this run but I found it very hard to slow down. I feel like a coiled spring at the moment. I hope I still feel like that next week.

Really looking forward to hearing how everyone has done.

Watch Paris on Eurosport. Surprised at the number of spectators and the number of people running and cycling on the course itself.

• Options
    Urgh that was TOUGH!

Quick note for now as I'm on my phone but I trundled over the line in about 4:28.

Was on for 4:15 at least for about 16 miles but ran out of puff pretty spectacularly and had to walk regularly in the last 6-8.

Still I'm really chuffed to have done it and it's a PB image.

I definitely want to have another try next year somewhere at getting under 4 but this will definitely do for now!

Hope Stewart had a great race and everyone else has had a good weekend.
  • Options

Just seen Paris results - Oh Emmy, so close to a sub 4! Did the toe hamper you?

I do have a question about London - What sort of time would you recommend getting to Blackheath for the blue start? How long is the walk from the station?

I am thinking of trying to get the train that gets into Blackheath at 8:40. That means leaving home at 6:45.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lee - It's normal to feel like a coiled spring. Welcome to taper madness but just think - this time next week you'll be wearing your medal proudly around your neck! Please rest as much as you can this week but dont do any major tempo runs.

Cleanshoes - well done on your PB! image

I have seen on Facebook that Stewart did FANTASTICALLY but i'll let him fill you in on the information and details.

Lee - So close indeed! I was fine until 35km and then the heat just got to me spectacularly. I'm happy at least to have around the 4hr mark and I know that in slightly cooler temperatures that wouldnt have been an issue to hold on for sub 4 but there's always another oneimage

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Lochaber Marathon 2014 Race Report

Pre Race

Woke up before six to a chorus of song, spring is definitely in the air, so I decided to get up and get some breakfast and watch some sport on the telly, by eight the car was loaded with the family, unfortunately the better half was working so I dropped her off at work and made the hour and a half journey To Fort William, the weather in Inverness was dry and a little breezy I would have been delighted with similar conditions unfortunately it was rather wet.  I had a look round for Stuart in the centre but I couldn’t see him I was a little disappointed we didn’t get to meet up.

The Race

After the briefing we were led out onto the shinty pitch, I decided to keep the short sleeved base layer on, which in retrospect was a good decision, eleven O’clock on the dot we were sent on our way, I started the Garmin on the gun as there wasn’t a timing chip for this race.  The plan was to start steady and build up to goal pace in the first mile or two, the legs felt great, light and bouncy, in truth the first couple of miles were a little faster than they should have been but it felt comfortable the breathing was easy so I just went with it.  The first six miles went by in a flash I had planned to take a gel at the five mile marker but I missed it and took it at the next one, with it being so wet I found it difficult to open them, which was a bit annoying. (8:31, 8:33, 8:39, 8:31, 8:47, 8:26)

Once out of Corpach and  onto the road to Mallaig the heavens opened up and it was a little blustery at times which made it more interesting,  as the road was open to traffic we had little choice but to run through the puddles on the edge, which didn’t really bother me too much,  it was only water after all, apart from the weather everything else was going to plan, the legs were feeling strong with no real sign of fatigue, which was encouraging, I think I was past the 11 mile marker when the race leaders came into view, I thought to myself, I wonder if anyone would notice if I slipped in behind them, I think I saw Stuart before the 13 mile marker came into view, he looked like he was in a good place and was running well at that stage. Finally made it to the halfway point in 1:52:42 (8:37, 8:38, 8:40, 8:49, 8:41, 8:36, 8:37)

After the turn I felt in good spirits, every step I was getting closer to the finish, but I was now trying to focus on the next few miles making sure the body and mind were in a good place, aerobically I was fine but now the legs were starting to gripe a little, I kept telling myself that this was to be expected and to keep going.  Strangely the slight headwind on the way down decided to change direction with me at the turn, well it was more of a cross wind really but it was getting stronger and on the exposed parts of the route it was very blustery, as each mile past it was getting harder plenty of puff but the legs were struggling especially the left one,  the hamstring and glute were now starting to smart, the splits were now more in the 8:40 – 8:50 range but I was still quite happy with that, but I knew the last six miles were going to be tough (8:33, 8:42, 8:49, 8:53, 8:41, 8:55, 8:57)

Got to the twenty mile marker, the stomach was not in a good place so I decided to leave it until the next marker to take my final gel on board, I was now seeing nines in the pace column for the first time I tried to pick up the pace but it the hammy wouldn’t play ball so I just had to try and work as hard as it would allow, as I approach the 23 mile my thoughts had turned to my previous marathons and the cramps I suffered fortunately I managed to get through this milestone without incident, once out of Corpach I relaxed and tried to focus

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

cont... on catching the runners ahead, it wasn’t easy but I managed to claw back a few in the dying miles, which does help (9:13, 9:00, 9:17, 9:03, 9:25).  Only one mile and a bit to go now I just focused on trying to keep the legs turning on a couple of inclines that normally I would even blink about but after 25 miles the slightest rise hurts, I got to the 26 mile marker were my son and future son in law were waiting with phones in hand shouting some encouragement to get me over the line, no sprint finish as the pitch now resembled a swimming pool crossed the line with an official time of 3:50:59.

Almost twelve minutes of Baxters and an improvement of thirty eight minutes from the same race last year. 

• Options

Great stuff Stewart, you've broken that 4 hour barrier in some style. I'm jealous. All that hard work paid off. 

Looks like a great little marathon with just 320 people in the race!

It's been hard this weekend watching so many people in other Marathons. The butterflies are really with me and I am feeling so nervous. I'm having doubts too. I have watched you tube videos of people running the course and the one thing that is staying with me is on one of the lights in the Upper Thames Street tunnel, "Pain is only Temporary"

Well done Stewart, now enjoy the next few days relaxing with a beer!image

• Options

Well done Stewart - that's fantastic image

Lee next...

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Lee, you'll be fine I found the last week the hardest but come race day it will all come good, trust the training image

Weedy, thanks 

cleanshoes, congratulations a new PB image

Emmy, heard it was hot there yesterday and given better conditions the sub 4 would be on well done battling through image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    StewartC wrote (see)

....crossed the line with an official time of 3:50:59.

Almost twelve minutes of Baxters and an improvement of thirty eight minutes from the same race last year. 

WHOOP WHOOP!! image Excellent news and well done for digging in a great report!

Lee Clark 70 wrote (see)

It's been hard this weekend watching so many people in other Marathons. The butterflies are really with me and I am feeling so nervous. I'm having doubts too. I have watched you tube videos of people running the course and the one thing that is staying with me is on one of the lights in the Upper Thames Street tunnel, "Pain is only Temporary"

Well done Stewart, now enjoy the next few days relaxing with a beer!image

This is completely normal but trust in the good work and training that you've done. I know the temptation is to go and run some fast miles or to try and do another run 0 but the best thing you can do right now is rest.

StewartC wrote (see)

cleanshoes, congratulations a new PB image

Emmy, heard it was hot there yesterday and given better conditions the sub 4 would be on well done battling through image

There's always rotterdam this weekendimage

Was 20c+ and a very hot one when they predicted rain :/

@Cleanshoes - i cant see your post... what did you get?

• Options

Hi Emmy

4.28 for me. Slower than I had originally aimed for when I started training but I was absolutely spent at the end so happy that I definitely gave my all.

More detailed race report from me:

Was up at 4.30am on Friday morning to catch my flight to Zurich. Living in East London, it was a no-brainer to fly out of City, so we got the first DLR to LCY and had a nice relaxed breakfast before boarding the flight. We flew with Swiss Air and true to form we landed in Zurich a couple of minutes early, the baggage was already coming through after we got through passport control and there was a train into the city centre within two minutes of us zipping down the escalator to the platform. Bliss!

From there it was a gentle stroll to my old office to meet the friend I would be staying with, and some ex-colleagues for a spot of lunch.

After lunch a trip the Expo to get numbers. Typically I hadn't received the email confirming my number but luckily they had a list of all runners and were able to find me so all good. Randomly they were giving away washing gel as a marketing exercise for their version of persil so we snagged a couple of those each (and good job we had checked baggage!).

Saturday was spent resting as much as possible. My friend and his dad both ran teh marathon as well so there was a bit of faff when his Dad arrived about whether we would go back to the expo but we decided against it.

Sunday morning comes round and it was up at 5.30 for breakfast, given the early 8.30 race start. Got to the bus stop and there was an old chap who got on with us decked out in his Swiss Masters Running gear (more on him later). Then it was short walk through baggage drop, queue for the portaloo and before I knew it we were in the starting pen and off we go.

First mile was good, I was in with seemingly similar speed runners and avoided the temptation to go off too fast. Settled into a good rhythm for the first 5 miles of around 9.30 m/m, my aimed pace. Felt the need to go at about 5.5 miles and luckily went past some portaloos with no queue so shot in and got it out of the way. Couple of minutes lost but couldn't be helped!

The first 10k was essentially a loop around the main part of the city. The race then repeated part of the loop but then went further on down the side of the lake for a long out and back. Up to about 15 miles I felt like I was cruising along nicely at or around 9.30 m/mile.

Started to loop back at 15 miles and from about 17.5 onwards I was starting to struggle. Mile 17 was 9.50, then 18 was about 10.10. Kept it at this pace or thereabouts for mile 19, but 20 onwards was TOUGH. Decided to chuck in quarter of a mile walking for every 2 run (well, shuffled probably more accurate) which was ok for the first batch but from 23 onwards I was seriously struggling and absically walked about 0.2 of each mile.

Managed to hold it together to run the last half mile and came through with 4.30.30 showing on the main race clock. Got a text through from the race organisers yesterday confirming the 4.28 time, which I'm chuffed with especially as I was absolutely done in at the end!

Lessons for next time (wasn't put off completely!):

- More miles in training! Had a few hiccups this time round which meant I didn't get in as many proper long runs as I should have which would have helped I think at the end of the race

- Those last few miles are really tough! I knew it would be hard but now I know it's really hard!

All in all though a great experience and I would thoroughly recommend the Zurich marathon. About 5000 people do it, along with another 5,000 or so doing either the 10k race or a team marathon that is run alongside the main race. It's therefore a fairly big event but not so huge you're constantly tripping over people.

• Options

Forgot to mention my mate did 2.58 and his dad 3.57 so everyone was happy.

The old bloke who got on the bus with us in the morning turned out to be one of the fastest masters, and told us on the way back that he finished in 3.47 which i thought was a great effort!

• Options

Well done Cleanshoes and Stewart on great races, and write ups.  Hope the legs aren't too sore.

I ran Paris on Sunday in 3:53:20 which I am chuffed with.  I wanted sub 3:50 but yes, those last few miles are hard.  Training doesn't really prepare you for it. I gave it my all though so can't complain!

Would recommend Paris for the scenery but crowd support was a bit non- existent for a race of its size.

• Options

Easy 5 Miles done. Only one more Easy 4 Miles to go. I had to reign in my pace which was hard to do. The pace felt very comfortable which although slower than the pace I plan to run on Sunday would still see me going under 4 hours!

Really glad of this run as it has stopped me going stir crazy. It seems ages since I last ran which is ridiculous. 

Off to the ExCel centre tomorrow. Miraculously, my closest customer to ExCel, in the docklands wanted me to pop in. Perfect I can shoot off to ExCel afterwards. Think I am going to get my name printed on my East Grinstead vest too.

Once I have my number and bag I am going to start finalising my kit and journey.

I don't remember the last week being this bad when I ran Brighton!

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Cleanshoes a great write up, congrats once again and you're right those last few miles are hard!

Ruffles, congratulation an awesome time, you only missed your goal by a few minutes, delighted for you

Lee, nice run today, I did some stride outs on most of my runs in the final week, just to get some high leg turn over, the final week is a nightmare keep the faith