Options

RW Forum 5 - sub 4.30

Comments

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Nice one! image Thanks Minni

• Options

Sweet baby jebus Minni!!  Think i need to up my game......

Angela i think i would watch Miranda shortly after Mrs Browns Boys in order of ways to torture myself if Minni doesnt kiil me first

• Options

ok, lunchtime over, although I still need to have lunch...

sub60just could you give me an example of your week of training together with paces.  Unless you have prior experience with speedwork, I wouldn't necessarily advise adding it to your marathon plan.  I tend to follow a Hal Higdon plan which just does a faster paced run every 2 weeks, or thereabouts.  Let me have a look at what you're doing and I'll be able to give some suggestions.

NurseR my running anatomy book did say that if you are allergic to weights, that at least doing some hill work will provide you with an element of resistance training.  Depends what your aim is.  If its a hilly marathon, then putting your long runs in a hilly section would help to build up strength, however, some shorter stuff tagged onto the end of one of your shorter runs would work too.  I would recommend after you are well warmed up, that you find a hill that's not a cliff, but a constant incline, enough to get you working, and would take you about a minute to run up at full effort.  Would even recommend warming up your uphill muscles by running normal pace up and down it a couple times.  Then, when you are ready to start, run a hard effort up the hill concentrating on your form, using the arms to power you, and lifting legs using hip flexors, and probably shorter strides too.  Walk back down as ur recovery.  Do this 3-5 times to start with, and depending on whether its needed in your race you can increase the number of reps as you continue with your programme.  When you are building up mileage significantly for Loch Ness I would take a look to see whether you want to keep this kind of session in.

jenf is a power lifter, though I think she only does it because of her good looking power lifting coach... image

nice link Minni, might give that a go tomorrow.  I'm doing the 30 day plank challenge that Jenny was talking about...

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Nurse R - have you seen this: http://www.entrycentral.com/?raceID=102283 ?  I've just heard about it today. I wouldn't do a marathon so close to London but might use it to get a good 20 in with so many at MP. 

• Options

Thanks Angela. While pipski is away i'll hijack away :P

Usual week for me would be:

Mon: rest

Tues: 3-5 miles @ 9 to 10m/m

Weds: 3-5 miles @ 9 to10m/m

Thursday: Swimming (very very badly but improving slowly)

Friday: 4 miles @ 9 to 10m/m

Saturday: Parkrun (24.04 best but usually around 26)

Sunday: 8-10miles at around 10.30-11m/m

In terms of a marathon plan I was intending to use Hal Higdons Intermediate 1 plan as it seemed closest to what i currently do and feel comfortable with.

I guess what I struggle with is setting paces for during the week and keeping the sessions interesting if that makes sense?

Going to try out minnis link tonight to see just how badly i do

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Oh no! sussed! just off for a session now in fact...image

• Options

Don't think I'd be ready in time for that Minni!  Wondering if a 26 lap course would drive me mental. 

Am currently debating whether to go with Hal Higdon plan or RW plan. Or, as a very wise lady who is also a world-class mentor advised, use my ironman plan.  

• Options

Hi Sub60just I followed Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 last spring for the Halstead Marathon, and I do understand what you mean about the boring midweek miles, however, I did find that when you get into the meat of the programme, you do need them to be slow.  I was quite anal about doing things at the right pace though, so wouldn't have raced a parkrun, but rather run it at marathon (well half marathon until the half marathon midway thru the plan) pace as part of the 'pace' session he describes.  I was aiming for a 4:15, and ended up getting 4:18, which was still a massive pb for me, and on a course described as 'undulating'

However, I did start to find that as my fitness picked up, I was getting bored, and followed some training sessions that Minni set for Sarah O... my favourite was a variation of 2mi @ MP, 2mi @ HMP alternating - this makes your marathon pace seem easy.  Do something like this for anything up to 8 miles (when your plan has mid week runs going to that distance).  There are also ways of spicing up your long runs too, but for now, I would stick to Hal's advised paces, unless you're chomping at the bit.   Another speed session advised for marathon runners is the Yasso 800s.  Its not something I have done during a marathon plan, but it is something I'm curious about, so I can't recommend it with experience...

Nurse R, I highly recommend the Hal Higdon plans for their simplicity image As for an ironman plan, I'm sure it will do wonders to prepare you for an ironman... image 

http://www.masculinity-movies.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Iron_Man_movie.jpg

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Nurse R - which marathon are you doing? And are you also training for an IM? 

Sub60 - I rrally need to do it too. I'd recommend starting at 30 secs and using the rest of the time as recovery. 

Angela - yes those HMP/MP really make MP your friend. 

• Options

I do two sessions of resistance type training a week with a pt, who is an ultra runner so he is very good at tailoring the sessions to support my running whilst developing my weak areas for example my weedy arms. I think it has helped me remain mainly injury free (last injury was tweaked back due to dancing in heels!). He's also preparing my marathon plan for me, having previously got me from zero miles to half marathon in 8 months about three years ago.

• Options

Minni - If only I had read your post before I tried it!!!  Managed the full minute for 6 out of the 10 which wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be.  Think ill try and add it in a couple of times a week as it definitely felt like a workout!

Angela - Wouldn't be much use if I didn't do what the mentor said and you are right I imagine the increase in mileage will make the difference.  Plus I have a tendency to try and do too much so will stick to the plan including slower park runs.

Picked Edinburgh for my first marathon as got suckered by the Tonbridge half being described as undulating so wanted something very flat!

• Options

Minni, I'm doing Loch Ness mara in September.  Doing the Outlaw swim in July with the marvellous Meldy's Misfits relay team (quick wave to Fraggle and Raf).

I can't remember the content of the ironman run training, just that the longest run was (I think) 3 hours. After doing Outlaw I seemed to forget everything training-related, bit like how your brain makes you forget the agony of childbirth so that you'll want to do it again.

I'd love to do an ironman every year, but the deal I struck with hubby was IM every other year. So I have to do, at the very least, one marathon a year in between image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

amesome sub60!  Don't forget your suntan lotion for Edinburgh - its always a scorcher!! 

Nurse R - I had Loch Ness penciled in but I've decided on York instead, providing I get in when it opens at 9am tomorrow. Sounds like you're going to have Outlaw fun in the Summer.  Do you do the Borders XC league?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Anglea - you might not have a mentee but you sure do have a great thread going here! 

• Options

Had a lovely rest day...12 miles walking around town going to the British Museum and then on a Christmas Treasure Hunt. Not sure playing tourist for the day goes with Marathon training!

I see we've been talking about core/strength work. i try and do a session of pilates everyweek, but also have a shorter set of core exercises, plus leg strength exercises I try and do 2-3 times a week. Which includes crunches, bridges, leg raises, planks, squats etc.    I'm not totally rigorous on doing this, one of the things I'm going to be looking to improve!

• Options

Mentee was spotted on another thread so should be with us shortly!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Interesting - that was this afternoon. She (I think she's a she) had had numerous PMs sent. image

• Options

We'll wait then, perhaps we should prescribe that core workout 4x per day everyday...image

• Options

Or we could go all Alan Sugar on her?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Who is the reserve? image   Its fun talking about food and core but we really need to test Angela's mentoring qualities. image

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

lol image  just tried that10min core workout you posted Minni , can't keep my balance for the v sit ones!! then started laughing too much!

• Options

Memsahib, dancing in heels is dangerous! I got ribbed by all my family for taking croc lookalikes to my sisters wedding for the dance floor! But I managed to dance for 5 hours and go for a run the next morning, so it must have worked...

sub60,  undulating!! I hate that word now!  I live in east Anglia, which as a geographer, I always thought was flat.  Having last year done the Colchester Half marathon, Halstead and Essex marathon and the Ipswich half marathon I have learnt that east Anglia is not flat, but decidedly undulating, and well Ipswich is just plain hilly!

nurse R,  I have a whisper in my head that keeps on telling me 'iron man, do an iron man'... My massage guy is a swim coach, so he might give me some lessons for OW swimming... Which have you done/would you recommend?

Rachel, nice varietynof supplementary work there.  I did an insanity workout today and my stability in some of the warm up stretches was atrocious- I'm pretty sure they were Pilates holds!

minni... Do u think we should?image

• Options

Ooo, cross post... 

Rachel was runner up according to Meldy image

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

yeah! get Rachel off the bench!!

• Options

Re Pipski - we know what the RW site can be like, maybe she's not getting her PMs. Angela, start a thread titled "Coo-ee Pipski, we're over here"!

Minni, never done Borders XC series. Keep meaning to ........ image . Have my eye on Borders tri series tho'.

Angela, did my first ironman at Outlaw in July and bloody loved it. Highly recommended 

• Options

*whisper, whisper*

Angela, do an ironman

Aaaaangelaaaaa, dooooo an ironmaaaaan

• Options
    Hi Angela. Was meant to pop In and say hi ages ago. How have you been? I'm doing Halstead properly this year image I got a FREE place

this threads a bit like the others.......very slow getting off the ground.

Any ways hope all is good and i might keep popping in if the other threads don't take off image