Options

Just a Little Bit Further - 2014

Comments

• Options

Fab MC.  How are the legs today?  Mine are amazingly good.  One tender spot, but really good (am now thinking I didn't run hard enough, lol!).  I am thinking about doing an autumn marathon 2015, so I'd be interested in hearing what Yorkshire is like. Definitely think sub 6 is on for you, sub 5.30 per chance?

• Options

Great race report MC!

Huge Well done to you Lainey too! Must be a great feeling!

Just looked on the website for my 15K and my official time was 1:30:09 which I am really pleased with as the hills were horrible and I hadn't done enough training as usual. image

BFN

• Options

Well done Lainey,MC,Nandy and Jude you are all stars.....

Definitely going to enter the ballot for London next year.

Did 8.7 miles yesterday and we are now formulating plans for what next to do?  

• Options

Lainey - yeah my legs are fine today! Couldn't believe how easy it was to go downstairs today, I was expecting to be suffering. I have a couple of sore toes but that is all. We have done loads of walking today too, which I am sure will help with the recovery. I might try a little run on Weds. 

not sure about sub 5:30 - that would be a big jump! Between now and June I need to concentrate on building up cycling for The Outlaw Half ironman tri, but am going to keep my long runs at around half mara distance then start doing longer ones from beginning of June onwards. 

AF - well done on your run. I can recommend the Sussex Mara for next year AF if you don't get into London, having done the half  the last 2 years the organisation has been excellent and it is a challenging but beautiful course.

• Options

MC-Yes I am keen on the Sussex Marathon,but, for the last 3 years it has coincided with our club 10k and it is a three line whip to help out on.  

• Options

Well done on all the marathons and races and training runs.Some brilliant marathon running efforts.

I'm going to start back on my running tomorrow and hope to recapture my love of running.I really haven't enjoyed it for the last year,but I think not being so tired from work may allow me to feel the love for it again.

I do promise to try and keep up a bit more with this group in future.

• Options

AF - ah, yes, I remember you mentioning your club 10k before

DJ - great to hear from you, hope you and your wife are well. 

• Options
    NandyNandy ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of communication. Just got back from London this afternoon!

MC - Well done on your marathon, excellent perseverance! Good to hear the legs aren't in pain either, well done!!

Lainey - Well done to you too! How did you find the spectators? How did you cope with the heat? I couldn't believe how warm it was! Go a sunburnt neck, shoulders and forehead!

Jude - Well done on the 15K, great picture! How are you feeling today?

Franny - Happy anniversary, I hope you had a good time!

AF - It sounds like you've made a swift recovery, i hope i can do the same!!

Chili - How's your recovery coming along?

Ecky - great costume!! I bet you get incredible support from spectators wearing something like that!

Marathon report to follow!

• Options
    NandyNandy ✭✭✭

As Franny said, i finished in 3:51:01 which is now a PB for me!

I went down to London on friday with my girlfriend and we just had a bit of a walk around. Saturday, went to the Excel centre and got registered etc. Later that day a few of my friends also came to meet up with us so we had dinner and a chat but i went up to bed at 8.30.

Race day;

Got up at 6.30am, showered, breakfast and on the train to Blackheath about 8.30ish, i felt nervous but in a good way. I was getting worried about the heat though as even at 9am it was warm!!

Anyway, got in position and the race got under way. I felt comfortable despite the heat (for a few miles at least). Got past the half way point (Tower Bridge) and the course doubles back on itself. On the other side of the road i could see a few motor bikes and the lead car with the time followed by Kipsang and someone else, a few other runners went by but no Mo!! When all of a sudden there were huge cheers getting closer and Mo appeared, we were all cheering and the crowds on both sides of the road were cheering him on. It was an absolute wall of deafening noise, It was incredible!! I got a real buzz off seeing him.

After a few more mile though, the buzz was wearing off and i could feel cramp threatening to strike. This was the case from 18miles right till the end, it slowed me right down. I felt i had plenty left in the tank but my legs just wouldn't let it happen, in my groin, hamstrings and quads, never felt anything like it!! The last mile i ran with gritted teeth and a frown on my face, right up till about 100m to go when i knew i was going to make it then a huge smile covered my face!

What an amazing day and weekend though. Every credit to all the spectators, they were incredible!!

We all went out for a steak last night and i had my first alcoholic drink since New Years Eve. It went down a treat!image

• Options

Brilliant race report Nandy-awesome time too, congratulations. Am sure you enjoyed the drink!

I was worried about the heat as my last run in warmish conditions didn't go well.  I certainly have caught the sun and a couple of times I felt hot and bothered but it wasn't too bad.  Loved the showers though.  I drank regularly but was conscious of drinking too much!

the crowd-they were awesome, so encouraging, and I couldn't get over how much food was on offer.  But at times I wished for a little peace, or was glad if I was running next to a rhino or the marching band and they got all the attention.  BUT on the Embankment when I was feeling strong and was one of the few runners running I got so much attention and loved it!  I can see how some people would find it off putting, but if I did it again (I really hope so) I would put my name on my shirt again.

• Options

morning all

great report nandy, well done image

• Options

Warning! Long report ahead!

I actually managed to sleep, which I was surprised about, but got up had a shower and the breakfast I usually had pre long run-weetabix with banana and toast. Said goodbye to my girls (husband and son asleep in another roon!) and headed off on the DLR.  Getting to the start was no problem-just followed all the hundreds of others with a red bag!

I dispensed with my bag, went to loo and grabbed a coffee and then just sat on the grass watching the race coverage.  Eventually I ambled along to pen 9, and we waited…and waited.  Eventually we got going, and about 18 minutes after the start I finally crossed the start line.

My plan was 30:30 RW ratio but thought it might be worth running the first mile or two to avoid the crowd on the road.  However I soon realised that slowing down may be a better option as the crowd’s cheers and everyone’s excitement meant it was so easy to go off fast.  So I very quickly settled into my 30:30 routine.

My nutrition strategy was Lucozade and jelly babies, and hydration was drink when I needed it.  But I was conscious of the warm weather and making sure I drank enough, but not too much.

I was happily trotting along and then we merged with the red start and I think they must have taken longer to get through as the 4.30 pace bus passed me!  Then I was thinking “Cutty Sark” as the first landmark would be coming into view.  That came and went and the miles clicked away and I turned a corner and it was Tower Bridge.

It truly took my breath away and it is as good as everyone says.  That gave me a boost and I knew I was on for a further boost as my family were around miles 13-15.  I was fine apart from needing the loo and saw a port a loo and queued.  For 15 minutes.  I was so disappointed to lose so much time and it really broke my rhythm.  I struggled to get back into it and was down and then saw my dad and brother.  It was fab to see them and gave me a lift and then about 500 yards later (round a corner so they didn’t know each other was there) saw my husband and children!  That was lovely, but the next few miles were the hardest mentally.  Physically I had sore bits but nothing too bad or that lasted too long.  Even though I knew the RW was working, I thought I should walk!

Hitting 18 was great as I thought that’s 8 miles-I did an 8 mile run last week.  Then I saw husband and children at 19, and despite hearing what people said about the last 6 miles (and never gone above 19 in training) I was looking forward to 20 miles and felt strong.  And that feeling continued!  I told myself at mile 23 depending on how I felt I would either keep going 30:30, walk if struggling or try to run more if feeling strong.  I ran more.  The last few miles were a joy!  The Embankment was unbelievable-so much support (the crowds were sensational the whole way round-vocal and generous) and the fact I was running seemed to garner most of it, and as I was so happy at nearly finishing and felt so strong I lapped it up. This wasn’t just a figment of my imagination-in the results it stated in the last 7.2 kms I was passed by 4 runners and I passed 242!

Turning into the Mall was wonderful and crossing the finish line was emotional.  I had done it.  Not the time I wanted, but I had finished upright and smiling!  A wonderful, wonderful day!

• Options

Brilliant race reports all our marathoners.

Lainey and MC Congratulations on your 1st marathons and I see you have signed up for another MC.

Nandy Fantastic run by you and a PB...brill

I really wanna do it next year as I turn 50 next year.

AF Really looking forward to running with you when you come up but a tad worried I will be too slow for a speedy chap like you....lol...I just hope the weather is as nice as it is today..its gorgeous today...pity I have to work.

Did 5.5 miles yesterday after work and did 7.25 this morning.

Hope the racers legs are not too achey...take it easy for a day or 2

Bye for now...must dash.......................

• Options

Great race reports Lainey and Nandy! The atmosphere must have been amazing.

Franny - well done on your runs.

Hi DJ!

AF - well done on your 8.7 miler.

Off to the fitness room tonight.......

• Options
    NandyNandy ✭✭✭

Great report Lainey and very well done! Sounds like you finished better than I did. I passed about 200 runners but got overtaken by over 500! Did you have a gps watch on?

My watch says I ran 26.7miles haha. I know I didn't stick to the blue line but that seems quite a bit more! Some people are down as 27miles+!!image

The time it gives for 26.2miles is 3:47:05!! I'm sticking with my official time though as i'm still not sure how much I trust those GPS watches.

Well, it seems like a distant memory now the marathon, my legs are still a little achy today and I keep finding myself thinking,

"Now what?"

I'm not someone who particularly enjoys running as a hobby and I wouldn't say i'm hooked on it. I do enjoy a challenge though! Any suggestions on what next???image

• Options

nandy - triathlon???

lainey - love the report, hope you are recovering well

I can't believe how good my legs feel - I just have a couple of sore toes! Mind you, fatigue has hit me big time today. The fact that I don't sleep well doesn't help. We have been out walking in a forest but just chilling now for the afternoon

Franny - well done on your runs. I was thinking about trying a little run tomorrow, but with the fatigue I am feeling today there is no harm in not running I think. We may hire some bikes out tomorrow, so it is going to be an active day anyway (well, our holidays are always pretty active)

• Options

/members/images/624201/Gallery/llanelli_finish.jpg

finish line photo from Sunday!

• Options

Brilliant photo Mathschick You will need to get that framed. Always special a 1st marathon finisher photo.

• Options

Great picture MC!  I have been viewing mine and some of them are half decent.  Think I might get the download and then we can play about with the pics ourselves.  My poor dad and Mother in law may be getting marathon momentoes for presents, lol!

My legs feel really good.  In fact I am nervous now about the sports massage I have booked.  How much worse will I feel?  Am definitely going to run at parkrun, although I doubt it will be a PB!

Nandy I have a garmin but haven't downloaded yet.  Must do that!  As MC sayd triathlon?  Or 12 in 12, i.e. a race a month, or maybe as many events in a year as how old you are?

• Options

Morning.

Mathschick, that is a brilliant pic. I don't know why but I always imagined you with dark hair image

Loved reading your race report Lainey.

No running for me today as feeling rough with stinky cold. Hoping to be better before club tomorrow as only weeks as a leader. I am trying a new club out next week which runs on a better night for me.

• Options
    NandyNandy ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I hope you're all well!

MC - Great picture!! Well done! I did a duathlon last year which I quite enjoyed. I'm not the best swimmer and facilities near me aren't great so not really interested in doing a triathlon.

Lainey - It's my 30th in December so may do something for that! Made me laugh as we went to a bar on Saturday and I got id'd by the doorman! haha it made my day. I was only drinking cranberry juice anyway!!

My GF is increasing the distance she is running and is up to 9.5k now. I think the buzz of the marathon has made her want to enter an event so I think I may just do a few runs with her while I figure out what next. I'd like to try a trail race.

Ecky - I hope you get well soon and good luck at the new club!

• Options

Lainey-What a great report. I will be definitely applying for a ballot place next week for London and hopefully have a very good chance of a club place.You must get a picture for your 1st marathon.

MC-Great picture and so pleased for you. The picture of joy on your face is great to see. 

Nandy-12 in 12 is a fairly easy challenge I think I have done a race every month since at least December 2012. If your GF is running it would be great to run with her.

Franny-Please do not worry about being too slow. You AREN'T and I do have several speeds. I suspect when I go for runs on my own my average speed is about 8.45 minute miles and I am sure you aren't dissimilar. I do expect good weather however!!

I will contact you via Facebook over the next week week with contact details.

Ecky-Get well soon.

Jude-Hope you are still enjoying your post race glory and had a good gym session.

Where's Chilli?

Hi DJ.

6.5 miles yesterday and 7.1 today...and I have just entered an ultra....38 miler in October!!!

• Options

Afternoon

Woweeeeeeeeeeeeee AF...an ultra...good challenge for youimage I will book the nice weather for your visit image My running pace around 9m/m mile mark or thereabouts image but slow on the big hills image

Ecky Hope your feeling better soon.

Lainey Pleased your legs have recovered. Sports massage will be good if not a little uncomfortable...I love em....lol

Nandy Not sure what to advise for your next challenge...I really like my off road runs in the hills but have not done a trail/hill race yet. our club organizes one in December called the 7 reservoirs which is a challenging but lovely run and I am hoping to enter it this year.I have always been working when its on but this year I will be off image

Jude Hope your legs are okay and your lurgy hasn't come to anything.

No running for me today but will do a short one tomorrow after my gym session and a longer one on Friday (12 miles or so)

Hope everyone is well.

• Options

Af - wow, and ultra! Which one?

Ecky - hope the lurgy gets better soon

Lainey - good luck with the sports massage!

Nandy - how about some fell running??

I haven't been for a run post-marathon yet, might wait till we get home as we are doing lots of walking this week anyway

• Options

oh, and I had been wondering about chili - I hope she is ok.

• Options

Thanks Nandy, feeling much better today too.

Thanks all, I am feeling much better today.

• Options

Morning

Glad you are feeling better Ecky

Gym this morning and a very short interval session just for the fun of it image

Chili Hope you are okay.

• Options
    NandyNandy ✭✭✭

Hello!! How's everyone feeling today?

Wahay, Good effort AF, an ULTRA!!! I though about entering one but I don't think I could commit to the additional training time with the house and everything!

I've been doing some calculations, in training this year (15 weeks) I've run 198miles. I was injured for 3 weeks with my knee so over 12 weeks it averages 16.5miles a week! It felt like I was doing so much more than that so I really don't know how I'd cope training for a much longer distance!

I've decided though i'm not going to commit to anything else until my house is finished! Which should hopefully only be a couple of months now! Just going to keep doing a couple runs a week so I don't lose the fitness I've acquired.

Franny - It sounds like a challenging run that, 7 reservoirs!! Get it entered!!image

Could do with Chili showing up with some cake, i'm starving!!image

Lainey and MC, I hope those legs are ok today! Mine feel much better, will be out for a couple miles at least tonight.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!

• Options

hi all

had my first post-marathon run today - 3 slow miles but nothing hurt image 

• Options

Hi everyone,It's been great reading all your race reports.You all did brilliantly.

AF I see you are about to get bitten by the ultra bug.

Well I managed to get out for another comeback run of a mile.And it was so hard.My lungs were burning and it took ages to get my breath back afterwards.I think that is because this 5 week lay off was because of a chest infection,But I did it,which is the main thing.I will go out again tomorrow,and then Monday.I'm going to build slowly,but make sure I go out exactly as scheduled and run the planned distance,no matter what.I really need to get into a regular habit.

I have a deferred place in the next Brighton Marathon,so I will decide if I want to commit to it over the weekend.At the moment,i'm leaning in favour of doing it,although it will be a big effort after my injury/illness problems.But I remember how good I felt about myself after my last one 3 years ago.

Have a good weekend everyone.