Options

rules on bone conduction headphones

Comments

• Options

In 95 and 97, virtually nobody ran with music. You would be mad to run a marathon with a CD player because the music would jump all the time. If the ambulance was held up on that day, it was by the difficulty of getting through the crowd.

Cougie, yes I am. If you are massively overweight, have only waddled your way through a few 'runs' and keel over and die during a marathon, tough cheese. In that case, it's far more selfish for the 'runner' to have entered a race they had no business being in in the first place than for runners to listen to music. The cause of the problem isn't the headphone wearers, it's those biting off more than they can chew. 

A marathon is a long way even if you have done the training. If I tried to climb K2 without any training or preparation, I wouldn't expect any sympathy if I snuffed it while trying to do so.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I notice that race organisers are taking an increasingly hard line against people flouting the rule (where it exists). The Oakley 20, for example, now says the following in it's rules:

"Bedford Harriers, along with many other race organisers, has endeavoured to persuade runners not to wear headphones, earphones or similar equipment during races. These efforts have failed and consequently we have no alternative but to adopt a strict disqualification practice for any runner seen wearing headphones, earphones or similar equipment. In respect of this race it is important that runners can hear the verbal warnings and instructions issued by race marshals."

However, the OP does raise an interesting point.

Isn't the idea of bone conduction headphones to allow the user to listen to their music and still have awareness of what is going on around them? If that is the case, then perhaps they could be an exception to the rule.

(As long as they promise not to stop dead in their tracks if the mp3 battery runs out image).

• Options

Seren, if you want people to take you seriously you shouldn't write like a teenager texting their pals.

• Options

I collapsed in a race once. I was extremely well trained, but didn't realise I was ill.

Re. headphones, I like to listen to music on my easy training runs, so am not a 'listen to the birdsong' evangelist. My headphones are shit and I keep the volume low, so I can hear bikes, cars and other runners, just as the OP would with her bone conduction headphones. But I would never claim the music isn't a distraction, because it is. Try running with music in the dark with a headtorch - you'll probably find you have to turn the music off as it requires just that bit more concentration that you don't need when pootling along by yourself. Similarly in a race - there's more you need to concentrate on (negotiating other runners, maintaining your pace).

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The headphone wearers at my local one have complained in the past at the faster runners "shouting " at them to move over to the side on their second lap.

If they were not wearing headphones there would be no need to shout.
  • Options

Millsy - I suppose it could be argued that they'd be idiots whether they were wearing headphones or not, if they don't realise it's a good idea for slower runners to keep to one side on a two-lap course.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Yes probably a bit of both, but they couldn't hear the Marshall who was also telling them to keep to one side.

I think for parkrun it's more of an annoyance to other runners rather than a health and safety issue.
  • Options

If you're getting lapped during a two-lap 5k, I don't think you should be in there. It's certainly not running.

• Options
    My park run is 2 3/4 laps. Its not that hard to be lapped - the fast boys are seriously fast.

RG - are you just trolling now ?
  • Options

I expect RG can run a 15min 5k with his headphones in.

• Options

Nearly three laps is different to two. To get lapped by a fast runner on a two lap course, you'd have to be 'running' slower than 30 mins?

Most park runs are won in around 17. So that would put you at slower than c.34 for 5k.

• Options
    Is that such a crime ? We have 8 year old doing ours - shall i kick their ass off the course next time as they won't make your cut off ?

parkrun is a bit of fun. If it was just for the 17 minute men - it'd never have got off the ground.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    runninggeek81 wrote (see)

Cougie, yes I am. If you are massively overweight, have only waddled your way through a few 'runs' and keel over and die during a marathon, tough cheese. In that case, it's far more selfish for the 'runner' to have entered a race they had no business being in in the first place than for runners to listen to music. The cause of the problem isn't the headphone wearers, it's those biting off more than they can chew. 

cougie wrote (see)

RG - are you just trolling now ?

Yes.

• Options

A bit of fun for some, serious for other. I thought it was about health and safety not how serious the race is.

• Options

I suspect an 8 year old in good health could go round 5k in 34 minutes.

My point is that the main factor in people falling ill in the marathon is that they are not fit to be there. That is much more worrying to me than some runners wearing headphones and the possibility that that may interfere with an ambulance.

The parkrun is exactly the place for those slower runners who want an event but who are not in great shape. The marathon is not.

• Options

Phil, you think it's sensible to do a marathon on very little training and with no real running or other exercise background?

• Options

Much more difficult for an ambulance to get to a casualty on a trail race. Ban them?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

yet at notts HM the only person im aware of that got medical attention was a very well trained capable athlete.  should we have rolled her into the trent explaining she should not have been there as she was ill (unknown to her at the time).  i would be willing to bet that those requiring medical assistance are not primarily from the chubby plodders crowd but capable trained runners who either have an illness on the day or over reach themselves pace wise or and issue with hydration/fuel and get into some bother.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    runninggeek81 wrote (see)

Phil, you think it's sensible to do a marathon on very little training and with no real running or other exercise background?

how many runners fitting this criteria have been major casualties in marathons?

from what I have read most deaths and serious incidents have involved "runners". 

• Options

The message is clear. You don't agree with it. You don't like it. Ban it. Elf and safety. 

• Options

There are very few major incidents at marathons. Precisely why a ban on headphones is disproportionate. Especially since there is no clear link between paramedic response times at these events and headphone use.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Can't the race director ban them just because he/ she doesn't like them?

It's his / her race so why not?
  • Options

my youngest who is autistic and therefore struggles with all sports has just started running to try and combat stress and get healthy........he cannot meet your strict guidelines for running a parkrun in 34 mins yet runninggeek .should be be pulled off the course  or just told he shouldn't bother as he is so crap.....

i think those fast people know that parkrun is open to all and that they will have to overtake people........but it does annoy me when people can't keep to simple instructions like keep to the left

• Options

That's what it boils down to: you don't like them. Nothing to do with safety.

• Options

I wouldn't suggest that anyone who has just started running enter a race without some running beforehand. I'm sure there are plenty of events for kids where they won't risk being shouted at by adults who should know better.

• Options

park run isn't a race.its a run for all.

• Options

Running geek you slated my reference to Sony Walkman but you are wrong. The Walkman was a device that played cassette tapes, they did not jump as much as the CD version the Sony Discman came out later, but you are probably too young to know that.

I have been running for many decades..

I also have done a Parkrun in a very slow time as I was coming back from injury, keeping left is the norm for lapped runs.

Now can we get this thread back on track for the OP..

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    You say the Adults should know better than to shout. But how are they supposed to warn other runners of their presence if they get no response to a polite "coming through" or "excuse me"

parkrun is for everyone and is much more enjoyable if everyone is looking out for each other.
  • Options

is anyone else a bit freaked out by the bone conduction headphones?