Options

disqualified for wearing earphones

Comments

• Options

I'd just like to say sorry for saying about it being UKA rules. Just checked on there website and can't find anything. Who'd have funk it.

• Options

I think that people who listen to music while running are weak. 

Just saying image

• Options
    Big_G wrote (see)

Nick - I also agree with you!

Off topic, but did you see that marvellous proposal of making running a punishment for kids that misbehave in school.  Bonkers. 

You can tell that slimy little bastard Gove was no good at sport can't you?

• Options

If 'the average citizen should boycott entering these races' then I say Hurrah!!  Less ipod wearing ignorant numpties and more chances of getting into races for the rest of us.  It's a win win situation. image

• Options
    RoadWarrior wrote (see)

Disqualifying average people for wearing IPod is harsh and is undemocratic. Average citizens should refuse to support the race in the future.

Fair if it is elite competitors competing for prize money and titles.

We live under a democracy, not a Communist dictatorship. Silly competition rules should not be universally applied to average citizens who pay a premium to run a fun run on roads our taxes have paid towards.

beaten to the piffle comment image and agreeing with Nick W, again! :/

• Options

I rarely enter an event that catagorcally states no Ipods but if I do then I don't wear one. If enter an event that recomends that I don't use one, then I don't expect to be DQ'd for chosing to not heed a recomendation rather than a direct instruction.

And if an organiser such as at Luton, states that it is a recomendation, has nothing at the HQ telling me otherwise but announces on the start line (not that close to the HQ) that using them will lead to disqualification then I will just ignore it.

I run for fun, I enjoy listening to music while running, I am at best a mid pack finisher. And I have enough spacial awareness to know what is happening around me and have the music quiet enough that I am not in a bubble. There are plenty of events that allow Ipods and I tend to enter those.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Caution!!!  Thread creep!!

Screama - yes, that was my first thought.  I don't want to get on my high horse, but I really don't understand this proposal.  If it goes ahead, you can just imagine the kids doing their run as part of some punishment and the other kids laughing on the sidelines, and then concluding that running is somehow "bad" and is something they don't want to be seen doing.  All around the time when predicted obesity levels may actually be under estimated.

"The National Obesity Forum believes there is a "serious risk" the current projection - that half of adults will be obese by 2050 - could be exceeded."

I would have thought it better to encourage kids to get into running or sport and see that it can be fun etc, as opposed to turning running into some kind of threat.  Hey ho.

• Options

It's nothing new though.  PE teachers have always used laps of the playing field, or press-ups as punishments, ever since playing fields and press-ups were invented.

• Options

Don't worry Nick, I for one disagree with you completely.  Running needs fewer rules, not less rules.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

My earphone tuppence worth...

People can do what they like in their own time etc. but rules are rules.  I like to listen to music if I'm on a treadmill, but don't like earphones.  I sometimes run on a treadmill at home and I blast some music in the room rather than directly into my ears.

If I ran with earphones in outside I think I would feel somehow vulnerable.  I like to know what's going on round about me, and hear everything.  Sometimes on a windy day a car can sort of creep up on you - I wouldn't want that to be the case all the time because I had some music in my ears.

A colleague of mine cycles at lunchtimes on a cycle path - he puts his earphones in and off he goes.  I thought he meant that he only does it on the cycle path but I discovered that he cycles to the cycle path (including crossing busy roads etc.) with them in the other day.  I saw him and spoke to him from a distance of about 6 inches as we were waiting to cross a road and he just didn't hear me.  That can't be safe!

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Calum Crighton wrote (see)

A colleague of mine cycles at lunchtimes on a cycle path - he puts his earphones in and off he goes.  I thought he meant that he only does it on the cycle path but I discovered that he cycles to the cycle path (including crossing busy roads etc.) with them in the other day.  I saw him and spoke to him from a distance of about 6 inches as we were waiting to cross a road and he just didn't hear me.  That can't be safe!

nah, that can't be right. all runners wearing them have the volume down low or only in one ear so they are completely aware of what is going on around them. or so they say.

• Options

Yes, but it gets me out of having to have sex with you.

• Options

Real runners don't wear iPods.

Just sayin'.

• Options

Wilkie - thank you.  I was way too lazy to look.  I thought they'd introduced a rule this year.  I must be thinking of something else.  Unless it was proposed and not implemented.  I really can't remember.

I wish they would introduce the rule, they don't have to enforce it, the races do.  Like FB said, it's been a triathlon rule for a long time.  Eventually runners would get used to it but unless the rules are changed, they never will.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I'm not bothered about whether people use music or not.  

What does bother me is the "I don't agree with the stupid rule, so I'm going use my iPod anyway" attitude that some have.

This isn't helped by race organisers who SAY earphones are not allowed, but don't bother to enforce it.

• Options

The Ipod wearers who ignore the rules are probably the same people who park in disabled parking bays (without the badge) or carry on using laptops on planes during take off / landing.

Bunch of self important irritating feckers.

PS not having a great day. 

• Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)
    M..o.use wrote (see)

Regarding rules, isn't this now an EA regulation rather than at the discretion of race organisers?  (I've not participated in an earphone debate for ages and my mind is failing.)

Cake wrote (see)

Pardon? boom boom!! image

image Sorry needed to get that in before anyone else.

There is no ban of deaf people at races there is and always has been a ban on headphones under UKA rules as stated previously. It's even on the fine print if you enter a race through this site. If the organser's DK's some folks good, it needs to happen more often. image

There is NOT currently (nor has there been) a UKA rule banning head/earphones. I had this response from UKA when I queried it last year:

"More misleading information I’m afraid.  The rule has been proposed on a number of occasions in the past but has always been rejected – mainly on the grounds of the difficulty of enforcement and the different circumstances that can apply across the range of courses that are encountered."

Race Directors can choose to ban them, and I do wish those that do would actually enforce it.   There's no point otherwise.

What a ridiculous response, how would it be difficult to enforce? I suggest a 2 step approach could be used

1) see someone wearing earphones

2) disqualify them

Not really that difficult

• Options

I was joint race director of the solent half marathon, where we advised earphones were not allowed. We strictly enforced the rule and 5 runners were disqualified. Their times appeared in the results, but not their names. The marshalls had been instructed to note offenders race numbers and text them to the finish, to ensure they didn't get a goody bag.

• Options
    M..o.use wrote (see)

I wish they would introduce the rule, they don't have to enforce it, the races do.  Like FB said, it's been a triathlon rule for a long time.

Difference is, triathlons have officials from the BTF (like FB) at every race who understand all the rules and enforce them.  You get consistency across races because it's the same relatively small pool of officials.  Running races generally don't have them, it's down to each organiser to enforce the rules.  So there's no consistency in how rules are applied.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    gatters wrote (see)

What a ridiculous response, how would it be difficult to enforce? I suggest a 2 step approach could be used

1) see someone wearing earphones

2) disqualify them

Not really that difficult

My preferred method of dealing with earphone wearers (most especially on trains where you can hear the tss tss tss tss, or even the damn lyrics) would be to snip the cord to the earbuds.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    But you can't complain if someone actually enforces the rules. It's just luck on their part that they haven't been enforced previously.
  • Options

Like vaginal circumcision nick? 

• Options

Has Nick had his vagina circumcised?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What are open earplugs? How do they differ from regular headphones?