Options

Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options
    Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

15 miles in 2 hours this am including 10 in 79 and Half in 1:44, both massive PBs.  prob a little too quick for a LSR but just wanted to check the water.  Will go a little slower for the long runs from now on but have to feel that sub 3:45 is defo on now.

• Options
    Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

My Tuesday speed sessions are now to be replaced with Tuesday hill sessions for the next three weeks.  I shall do these on the treadmill like I did the speed sessions.  anyone know the theory behind hill sessions?  They make you stronger right, but what is the by product of that regards marathon running?  do they help you last longer, do they make you quicker.  Have never done hill sessions before and I have traditionally done poor times when taking part in the west sussex fun run league races.... Normally five miles up into the downs and back.  I guess it favours the lean runners.

well done on the weight loss robert.  I am 75kg but would like to get down to 70kg by race day, so 11lb to lose in 11 weeks.  I think that is a steady enough weight loss, more than a lb a week might be a little risky.

• Options
    First ever run at half marathon distance today completed in 1hr42 felt good but it's just another reminder just how far the full marathon is fingers crossed for continued progress with training
  • Options
    Wenterrapin great minds and all that on marathon choices, keeping an eye out for entry to open for Valencia.

Rob great confidence building long run!! Sure your 3:45 is well within sight with progress like that.

10m steady for me today, nice to feel that my fitness is improving and mileage is creeping up.
  • Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Some great training going on! I did a very unusual 23.3km / 14.6miles yesterday. Just went out for a planned half and ended up doing a bit more. It was a lovely morning in Richmond Park, if not a bit cold and dark when I got there at 06:00.

Have a great week all.

Someone was asking about a marathon in the South East, I did the Thames Meander last Nov. Kingston - Putney and back along the river. It was a nice race.

• Options

06:00 image you nutter SAFER!

• Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Wenterrapin: Yep, you are not the first to say that to me! On the plus side there was no one else there to get in the way.

• Options

SAFER, earliest I can run is when it gets light. I used to go for silly early mornings but found myself getting even more tired.

• Options

I can do early morning runs if they're short - 2 to 4 miles but I need more time to work up the enthusiasm if I'm going further.image

• Options

Things seem to be picking up after struggling in the earlier part of the month. Ran a 10km on Sunday with a friend who is faster than me (but recovering from illness) and got round in 56 minutes despite a heavy workload last week and partying till 5 Saturday morning... 8 hilly miles after work last night, Averaging 10 1/2 minute miles at quite a low HR. Off work tomorrow and planning a minimum of 12 miles off road. Got my mojo back and feel to be nicely fit.

After running with a friend and seeing how hard it pushed me I'm thinking of finally joining a running club to see how that brings me on

• Options

andyp same here... even at the weekend it took me a few hours to get the courage to do 18 miles.

2wheels well done. nice 10k! lots of people recommend joining a club. I would do if i had the time (or consistant evenings free)

12 miles for me today. I feel knackered now.

• Options
    Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

I would like to join a club but the one I know is Tuesday meets and whilst I am mara training I need to stick to my schedule which is intervals (speed or hill) on tuesdays.  Perhaps after the marathon

• Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

One of the resons I get up supper early is that with 3 kids and a wife to factor into my Sunday I need to get back in decent time to spend the rest of the day with the family. One of the "agreements" is that my running does not impact family life too much.

I do agree though it takes all my willpower to get up on a cold, dark, wet Sunday morning when most of the neighbourhood is still asleep.

• Options

wenterrapin - 18 miles then a 12 - no wonder you're feeling it.  Great effort.

2wheels - I'm the same when I run with my son (22)  he tends to pace me to a faster run.  I'm going back to a club I was in previously before work took me everywhere.  I agree there's a benefit and it should help your overall speed.

Rob - If the club evening involves a track session, maybe you could do your intervals there?

• Options
    Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

Was supposed to be my first hill session (on treadmill) yesterday but didn't feel good and just stopped when I was just 500m into the warm up mile.  Over did the sport on Monday playing tennis, 1.5 hours of squash as well as a 4mile run all the day after I did a 15 mile run which included a 10 mile and HM PB.  I think it was wise, felt like I could have struggled through the session but that it would do me more damage than good.  So I did it today at lunch:  1.5k jog, then 10 x (2 mins uphill followed by 2 min jog).  Incline varied between 5% and 8%.  Speed was down to about 9:30 minute miles on average.  Was tough but fair.  Anyone else done hill sessions on a treadmill?  What inclines/times/speeds?

• Options

I think it was last weeks 10miles (with 5 at LT pace) and then 11 miles followed by 18 miles and 12. just does not seem to be enough recovery time for my aging body....

looking at the plan it gets harder as well image

• Options

An 8 and a 5 so far this week both done on the treadmill may do another 5 today then as we have the Longleat 10k on Sunday may be just 10 on Friday

• Options

decided to run part of my normal run route backwards yesterday (6.5 miles) (took 3 wrong turns in the dark) and did the bits which were mainly uphill.... felt weird seemed like I was running a brand new route.  

Fingers crossed the snow stays away.... 6k treadmill and double spin tonight and a 12-13 mile on saturday  

• Options

robert, running backwards must be hard, I have tried it but i keep falling over and running into things.

• Options

image I worked so hard to resist that one Wenterrapin!  I had to sit on my hands to avoid typing image

• Options

LOL sorry andyp - I couldnt resist.......

I felt like i was running backwards today in the wind on brighton seafront.

first 5 miles at 6:40 pace then turned into the wind and almost stood still, next 5 miles at 8:10 pace, which was a struggle. Knackered now.

I was thinking how the hell I would run a whole marathon in that strength wind or stronger?

• Options

Wenterrapin,,,,, keep your thoughts to yourself image

now you got me worrying the wind at the marathon.... maybe i'll run it backwards lol

• Options

you would be very unlucky to get those conditions in April Rob, I have run 10 marathons now and only ever had a mild breeze at worst. and as you say you could always run it backwards.

Try and set a new world record running it backwards. (Currently 3:34)image

• Options
    Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

Wenterrapin:  I ran along the seafront today too, from 1pm to 2pm.  1 mile jog, going west bound starting in Hove, 9 minutes to approximately the View, then 2 miles brisk almost to Carats cafe near the power station @ 7.50, 2miles brisk back to the View @ 7:10, then 1 mile/9 minute jog back to work.  For sure that wind made a 40s/mile difference to my times, was no discernible difference in effort levels for my money. Fact is I did the middle 4 miles in 30 minutes which was the aim.  Also found 3x20 squid notes on the way out which is the most money I've ever found in my life.  Where do you start and finish from approximately.  (no need to be too accurate, I'm not a stalker I assure you).  We purposely went into the wind to start off with.

• Options

Two good runs over last 2 days, 10 miles with 9 at marathon effort on Wednesday. Bit windy which slowed me a little compared to same run last week. Then 17 miles today working to heart rate and blind on pace. Felt very comfortable which was confidence boosting especially as i didn't take on fluids or gels. really enjoying the long runs to heart rate.

Now a cut back week after 5 good weeks of training.

• Options

Rob I started at portslade (boundary road), and ran to Asda at the marina. ran 5 miles at 6:38 then turned into a howling gale andpace dropped to 8 m miles (may be i could have gone a bit faster but the effort was so much and i knew i had 5 miles to get back). So you did well to only drop 40s per mile as I dropped 1:20 a mile image.

Good effort Swizzle.

• Options

Afternoon all

the run never happened Friday fates conspired of to Longleat tomorrow which means our race calendar for the year has now kicked off i have the Bath half next month followed by Brighton then the Bristol 10k in May

• Options
    Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

birthday parkrun in 20:56.  1 sexond short of a PB.  18 slow miles tomorrow all being well.

• Options

At least you managed to hold off that blonde girl Rob

• Options
    Good time rob.

Did my 20.5 miles today in the cold, dark and snow. At 6am .... Oh joy. Why do I do this again?