Options

Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options
    No more races for me j swizzle. My legs are shot at the moment so just trying to get some comfortable miles in them. A 20, 16 , and 14/12 next 3 Sunday's. Will throw in a few hmp miles in the midweek runs but apart from that will be tapering from Sunday.

Surely you don't need any more races. Is sub 3 the norm for you or is this your first attempt at it? Sorry if you've mentioned this before.
  • Options
    I have Hastings Half this weekend which I'll be racing (apologies Mark D) and my club (Paddock Wood) half next weekend which will be a training run and last long run before the taper.

Hastings is renowned for enthusiastic runners. Quite often the sub-80 section contains about half the field!

One of the benefits of starting with the elites in Brighton is you can stand at the back of the start and let the front runner go off at their 5m/m pace and Can easily stick to your MP without anyone impending your progress; the last thing you want is to be a mile into a marathon having already run at quicker than MP but covered more than a mile in reality due to faffing about passing slower runners!

I assume some of the "taper madness" will be starting from this weekend?
  • Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

No i don't need anymore races but really want to break 18min for 5k and thinking of giving it a go on the 28th at my local Parkrun.

Sounds like a sensible taper for you Mark, after my 22 yesterday going 15 next and 10 10 days pre Brighton. Hopefully sub 3 will be the norm but it is my first realistic try as my got injured before my first marathon in Florence last year and ran 3:09 on 4 weeks training.

Taper madness will be at it's worst from the 29th as wife will start to taper for Manchester to add to the unbalanced thoughts.

Does anyone know how many runners go from the elite start?

• Options
    J Swizzle - only about 150 from the elite start
  • Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

wow, that is not many at all!! is it a strange atmosphere at the start?

• Options
    Weird atmosphere as so few people. There's a changing area and a couple of toilets and that's about it! Last year I had to queue for an hour for the loo as there were only 4/5 available and 1 wasn't working. Hoping they have more this year!
  • Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

Hope they sort out the number of toilets this time to, don't fancy an hour queue. But nice to have space to warm up and change.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

• Options
    Anybody want to meet up on Saturday night, pre racentral!!?? I am staying alone, in a bunkhhouse!!. No family support, so nerves may kick in big time!????image
  • Options

Congrats to those who have got an elite start, sounds like a great opportunity to get a good start without getting involved in the cattle pens. I'll give you a wave as you pass the park.

Thanks Swizzle - I raced (sorry too Mark) the Selsdon HM today. Very pleased with a 1:45:30 finish which was over 6 minutes better than my previous effort, but more crucially I beat my wife's cousins time of 3 years ago by 7 secondsimage

I now have a 6 mile treadmill run & 14 mile road midweek with 1 or 2 gym sessions thrown in.

Thinking I may aim around 8:50 MP and hope I can hang on for a sub 4.

Good luck Lombster and others with a race tomorrow.

• Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

Great running manatbar!! 1:45 must give you huge confidence in running well inside 4 hours.

I am officially in taper!! lengthened out this mornings run to a split up 15 miles with Parkrun at little faster than marathon pace in the middle. Didn't fancy a super early wake up to get in 10 miles before we set off for Reading HM where my mum and wife are running.

Before the taper madness takes hold and i start to over analyse everything far too much, here are my ABC race targets.

A- 2:53, B- 2:55, C- 2:59, D- 3:04

• Options

A* 2.59 A 3.02 B sub 3.10 C sub 3.15. 

• Options
    A - 2:59, B - 3:04, C - 3:14
  • Options
    A 3.10 B3.12 C 3.14.59 D don't care anymore!
  • Options

Thanks Swizzle - It's quite a hilly course, so in theory with that time and a nice flat(ish) marathon course should give me confidence. However I'm aware I've struggled in 50% of my LSR's. So I think cautious optimism is where I'm at.

A; 3:59:59 B; Just Finish C: Find a place serving a nice cold pint on course somewhere to console myself.

• Options
    Well this morning was meant to be my last LSR before the big day and let's just say I got the slow bit right - attempted 22 but having had a cold all week felt terrible with no energy and hit several walls - at around 15, 17 and 19 and ended up walking a mile home with my head in my hands! Things had been going well, now all I can think about is not finishing - running for charity has put some added pressure too... Will try and taper now and forget about this disaster!! Good luck everyone though sure my mood will pick up tmrw and at least I don't appear to be injured...
  • Options

Giles - Sounds exactly like my run last Sunday. On the back of a cold, I intended 22 miles, only managed 20 & really struggled for the last 6.

On the back of that I skipped a couple of sessions midweek all I did was a 7 mile run and a gym session, before bouncing back in a HM yesterday.

As the great J Swizzle once told me "any 20+mile run that you bank and pull up healthy from is winnning in my book".

• Options

Giles 22 miles is in the bank.... happy days!!!!

Been running faster than my MP on my long runs, did a 15 mile run this morning and feel bloody brilliant managed to slow to 9min miles instead of 8.20s I have been running.  Probably try another 12-16 miles Sunday with a couple of spin/treadmils sessions either side for speed work.

Not long now!!! Question to those staying over the night before what are peoples plans to eat the night before?  

• Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

Like that title Manatbar!! Giles given the toughness of the run you got amazing time on your feet yesterday which for most is the main benefit of long runs so massive tick.

If you log your training have a look back at and see how well you have progressed over the last weeks to get you back in a positive frame of mind. Don't chase another really long run just to make you feel better (unless that is what you planned).

Had a great time yesterday watching wife and my mum run the Reading HM got me really amped up for our the upcoming marathons. Although glad Brighton is before wife's Manchester marathon as i use up so much energy watching not sure i would recover to run one myself. Even managed to sneak in a couple of little runs either side of going to Reading.

• Options
    You are able to check your run number if you've updated the Brighton Marathon app for 2015
  • Options

If you go to the Homepage on BM website. Go to Runner Info and then click on Look Up Runner, you can type in your name and find your number. 

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Updates

- no water pouches this year, paper cups

- marathon app will be available shortly

• Options

Afternoon all

well with only 3 weeks to go training hasn't gone well so this year I'm just looking to get around so me and my daughter are going to use a run walk and just enjoy the day i hope everyone else’s training has gone well

• Options

Sorry to hear that Al. Must be tough to have to walk it. Good luck and hope you can enjoy it.

Wenty's gone a bit quiet on here too. You all right mate?

• Options
    Has anyone got a spare place going?

Thanks Luke
  • Options

How much are you prepared to pay for a place Luke?

• Options

Hi All

Lots of questions I am afraid and I am hoping that somebody might be able to help.

I have never run Brighton before and we are staying in Newhaven the night before.  The earliest train we can get to Brighton on the morning will arrive at 8:34 and then we have a 10 min walk to Preston Park, do you think this will give us enough time to get into our pen?  I know it starts at 9am will they let us in to the pen at 8:45-8:50 or do they shut them off at a certain time?

Thanks in advance.

• Options

Yes the majority of people will be getting into their pens at that time. 

• Options

Thanks Philomena you are a star.  I think I will book my train tickets.

Vicky

• Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

Know this is a bit picky but website says race starts at 9:15 so you will have a little more time Vicky.

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Last year quite a few people were late to start so you will be able to run even if you are late which with chip timing is OK if you're just looking for a time but not good if you're looking for an age cat place.

Baggage trucks close at 0910 so that's the real deadline to beat.

From Newhaven, London Road Station is closer to start than Brighton, about a third of the distance and 5 mins less on the train so that saves you 10-15 mins.