Options

Lyke Wake Race 42

Comments

• Options
    Best of luck everyone.

Keep strong Hippo

Will be arriving 10ish I would have thought

May try and seek you out in a pub if I am fed and arrive nearer 10 than 11, if not see you all en route hopefully
  • Options
    Hello everyone I'm sorry I've not posted for a while. And the really carp news is that there's no way I'm going to make it round LW, as I've just got out of hospital having somewhere picked up a dose of pneumonia :(

Lots better now, in fact, have spent the last couple of days being the patient from hell, alternating between refusing to stay in bed, and quizzing the doctors about obscure 'things you learn for finals'. So definitely on the mend.

But anyway, just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck - am so sad to be missing it, but will await the reports with interest. . .
  • Options
    pneumonia? Hope you get over it ok, the last thing you should do is go slogging around the north york moors.
    I think you'll still have some company at teh 4 am start Hippo. Bryan did say most people walk it.
  • Options
    Get better In Hiding
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    Tim - My start time is 7.30 which probably means I'll finish last!

Loz - Hope you can get there after all. I'm starting in road shoes then changing to trail shoes before the bogs then I'm taking another pair just in case! -all of them are knackered though as I didnt think new shoes are justified for this

I've just dug up an old certificate from when I walked it in 1970. It says 'Condolences on your crossing'!!
  • Options
    Good luck to all those doing this tomorrow. I've been lurking in this thread and really wish i was doing it, bad weather or not!
    Its in my diary for next year though. Have fun!
  • Options
    In hiding
    how carp!
    heres wishing you a speedy recovery
    I am calmer post plod an a quick read of the route
    have brought my boots and running shoes(not trail shoes) to clininc ready for a quick getaway
    might jog a bit on the railway track
  • Options
    Bad luck in hiding, get better soon
  • Options
    Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    all the best, you long distance nutters!

am off to put my feet up on a beach in the Algarve on Monday (after doing the Rottingdean Marathon on Sunday.)

see you all at Boddington on 1 Aug.
  • Options
    Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    and hugs to anyone who can't make it (IH) and doesn't make it through the 42..
  • Options
    but but
    we are all going to make it arent we
  • Options
    Of course.
    NMP I'm a 7:30 starter as well.
    At least some people have done it before and know the way.
    I'll just wear my old trail shoes.
    And a pair of shorts maybe!!
  • Options
    muddy legs for you then Tim
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with muddy legs if its warm enough.
    Forecast seems to have changed to showers today and sunday and fine tomorrow!
  • Options
    Its changed again.
    I give up!
  • Options
    thats Yorkshire for you
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    Know the way you must be joking Tim. It was thirty years ago and my memory is not that good. I was with a party of schoolkids, just followed the person in front, even then we got lost once!

Relying heavily on GPS.
  • Options
    yes, thats how i did it
    followed the other schoolkids
  • Options
    ok so if I see 20 school kids I follow them-
    they must know the way!
  • Options
    Worrying thing for those stating at 4 am is that for a while at least we will be at the front!
  • Options
    Ive never been at the front of a race before
  • Options
    Theoretically, if the handicaping system works, you should be at the front all the way and everyone finishes together.
    Of course, it won't really work like that will it?
  • Options
    Hope not - would be nice to switch off and follow someone else - we could try and calculate at which point you'll pass us Tim!
  • Options
    I shouldn't be passing anyone.
    I reckon on averaging 5 or a bit more miles per hour but that's without having seen the hills or the ground conditions so could be anyone's guess.
    Obviously once I'm on my own I'll slow down a lot just because of navigating.
  • Options
    One day away and the forum goes mad with well over 2000 messages now showing. If you perform on Saturday as well as you write messages you are all going to complete with flying colours.

To answer a few points raised over the last 40 or 50 messages.

There are about 15 04:00starters with the same amount starting at 04:15 so company should not be a problem Hippo.

Caspar
    Far too late to change start time again.

As for underfoot conditions. The worst of it is between Lion Inn and Wheeldale Beck. Plenty of stretches for making time. Especially the railway track.

Compasses only affect in the local area above Rosedale. Useful anywhere else.

If the handicap system works it will be a miracle. It never has in the past so why this year should be different I do not know. Usually we have entrants finishing between 15:30 and 18:00. Any improvement on that and we will be shocked.

Weather wise beieve which forcast you want. he moors always seems to have its own little micro-climate. Low level sections tend to follow national predictions. High level stretches anything can happen. Usually the worst of the weather is encountered between Lion Inn and Stape Road. Coincidentally the same area as the worst underfoot conditions. Guessing I would say that this area on Saturday will have a low mist early on and rain. For this to clear we need a nice day at low level. If it is raining low level then be prepared for some horrible stuff at the tops. Don't expect a following wind. It has never happened yet. It is either into your face or, at best, hitting your right shoulder.

Stay positive and you'll enjoy the G&T even more.

Good luck to the sick animals.
  • Options
    OK

so if finishers are still coming it at 6 then that is fine. I had visions of being taken away by the ghouls and goblins at 5.01!

Seems the 'easiest bit' is the first half, and the worst just ater the bacon butties - so we may need to up our order.

So we are all following hippo and sluggie!
    can you please buy a long rope and tie one end at the start, we can then all just follow the rope.

If either Tim or I pass you we can take the rope duties from you!
  • Options
    well I've chickened out of camping and booked in the youth hostel. Bit wimpy I know but at least I'll be dry. Looking forward to meeting you all.
  • Options
    offski
    see some of you later
  • Options
    We're tough we are, trouble is we haven't got room in the back garden to put the tent back up to dry it out.
  • Options
    Just stay in Osmotherley until you have a sunny day. Pack the tent up when it is dry. No problem. This solution could mean an extended stay in Osmotherley however.

Two americans mentioned months ago have turned up and will be in the Queen Catherine tonight looking for company if anyone can spare a few minutes it would probably be appreciated. Their names are Eleanor and Andy Gibson.