Options

Lyke Wake Race 42

Comments

• Options
    Spot on Tim.

Conditions on the moor. Lot of rain, especially in last few days, and Moors bad in places. Worst places are Between Lion at Blakey and Blue Man (just past Hamer heading east. The bogs can be deep in places. Care needs to be taken, especially near the boundary stones just before Loose Howe.

Track round bottom of Hasty likely to be wet and sticky. Footpath is solid clay in dry weather and a sticky mess in wet.

Late on in walk wet patches after Ellerbeck check-point to Lilla Cross and then again in the drop down into Jugger Howe.

• Options
    I also read that it follows a network of bronze age burial mounds
  • Options
    It does, but for everyones sake don't try following them on the race. Most are difficult to see and those you can see are not on the logical route.
  • Options
    I think the word "network" should have made me realise they wouldn't be all in a straight line!
  • Options
    right
    definitely walking boots for me
    I dont want to die in a Morth Yorkshire bog
  • Options
    sounds like a medium and not map to help me on this event.

am quite worried that the first 'crossing' took well over 13 hours! (according to a website I have seen)
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    I did this as a walk both ways (though not at the same time) in the 70's. Both times took over 16 hours but I did no training and ate lots of pies in those days.
  • Options
    took me 17 hours last time
    but i was doing it with a wimp, and we had lots of stops
    it was overnight
  • Options
    but that without the torrential rain which has just hit London..

mmm

if it continues like this there os no way I can complete in my allocated time - as I did cound on being able to run for a certain amount of the way!
  • Options
    whitbys dry according to the bbc at the weekend -just will be very soggy ad slippery under foot
  • Options
    Im actually starting to dread this
    bloody hell, and im off duty after a week on call, so what do i do?
    head out into a boggy wildeness for 42 miles
  • Options
    least it will be dry in sunny kent the following week?

honest guv
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    At least the wind will be behind us according to the 5 day forecast.
  • Options
    What else would you rather do after a week on call?
    At least you can do your week's mileage in one go.
    We ultra runners are really very lazy-can't be bothered to run during the week, just get the miles in at the weekend.
  • Options
    Hi guys, shall I start with the good news or the bad news? The good - I just saw an item on the local news saying that the future of the Lyke Wake Race is looking more secure, with record entries of 119.
    The bad - make that 118 - I CAN'T GO! The final straw is that one of my cats needs urgent surgery and can't be left alone for that long. (In case you think that's pathetic, for cat read surrogate baby). To be honest I am also still slightly injured and haven't run properly for weeks trying to get the injury sorted. I was going to plough on regardless, but this is just one problem too many. I would like my first ultra to be a positive experience and this has turned into a bit of a nightmare.
    So Tim, my seat in your car is now definitely vacant. Thanks very much for the kind offer - hope to meet you at some future mad race.
    Please don't give me a hard time over this anyone, or I might just go away and cry. Oh I'll probably do that anyway, so say what you like.
    Good luck, I'll be thinking of you all.
  • Options
    i wont give you a hard time Liz
    ill give you a hug

will the cat be ok
  • Options
    Thanks Hippo. I expect I'll meet you one day as well and will certainly spot you on a Runners World Forum again some time. I saw your bit in this month's mag as well. Don't drop anything on your toe before Saturday.
    Not sure about the cat - depends on nature of lump.
  • Options
    Of course we wouldn't give you a hard time, I'm sorry not to be meeting you and so on.
    Its a shame but there you go.
    See you at Boddington maybe or perhaps Tooting Bec would be better for you? (its not till October)
    Hope the cat's ok too.
    Take care now.
    xx
  • Options
    aaaaaaargh
    have you SEEN the weather?

who else is starting at 4????????
    wibble
  • Options
    Yes but its different on the "right side" of the Pennines, its been nice and sunny here until this morning but its been wet up there most of the week.
  • Options
    Loz

best of luck to your cat

i am a cat person as well and can truly sympathise
  • Options
    I dont mind it being wet underfoot (or dont mind as much ) but torrential rain is going to add at least 25% to all of our times and we will require more bacon sarnies and gin to ease the pain
  • Options
    Im going to take a tin of gin
    or two

have nuts and jellybeans too
    and Vitamin water
  • Options
    I have so much food actually - about 4000 kcal

I plan not eing in calorie deficit to keep my strength up for the following weekend
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    I have been storing calories all week and am now so heavy I will probably sink in one of those bogs!
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Liz, I can totally understand what you're going through, I'm in exactly the same boat, but dog instead of cat. Just been informed today that my dog needs an urgent spinal operation tomorrow and obviously lots of TLC afterwards. So it looks like I won't make either. It's easier when the kids are poorly, at least they can tell me where it hurts.
    So, if I don't make it, I wish everyone the best of luck esp you camping Tim, hope you've got good tent pegs.
  • Options
    Hi there - just back from Normandy - a week on a strict training diet of chocolate croissants, cream, cider and Calvados.

Looks like we'll need snorkels.

Liz - sorry not to meet you and hope the cat is OK (I have two myself)

Hippo - I am starting at 4 am too and so you will have company at least at the very beginning, though I plan to jog as much as I can of the flats and downhills over the first 18 miles up to the Lion Inn before the bogs take over. Think that is the only way I can attempt to do it in 12 hours!

But Hippo, we also shouldn't forget that it's not just us forumites taking part - there are probabably other 4 am starters who can offer company and mapreading skills, who we simply don't know about

(Bryan - any idea how many 4 am starters there actually are?)

Think you got my order for the bacon butties Bryan - really looking forward to the whole thing despite the bogs.

Just started thinking about how much 5000 calories of food is going to weigh, along with the waterproofs!
  • Options
    Just found this quote

"Conditions now are much easier, though there can still be a certain feeling of dread when starting the Walk, often before dawn, in darkness and not fully-awake. Indeed Bill Cowley himself wrote that "A solemn silence should always prevail on the Lyke Wake Walk." This often is the case as hopeful Lyke Wakers stumble off into the dark. With dawn, parties are found climbing up onto Cringle Moor to start the crossing of what is still one of the wildest stretches of moor in Yorkshire."

We all to be solemnly silent then - so no cursing out loud!
  • Options
    Bryan in all seriousness is t toolate to change start times

I dont know whether i am just panicing about the weather but if it start kicking it down then progress is going to be seriously hampered,and just thought an extra hour or so might be a little more sensible.

If not then I'll just grit my teeth and brush off my jet skiis
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    I was thinking along the same lines myself especially with the 5.00pm finish deadline.

How many of us are left?