Options

Paris Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

Thank you JimBob and BM! Average HR of 165. The course is as flat as a pancake, which is great, but it's slightly windy as it's next to the sea.

Introduced a work colleague to Hill session yesterday. 

In work before everyone else so I can get away early to Emmy's celebrations! Fingers crossed for missing the M25 traffic as much as possible...

Happy running all, good luck for London and all other marathons/races/triathlons!

• Options
    A short jaunt around the London marathon start area this morning. Everything looking rather lovely, and there are many, many portaloos.
  • Options

Hmmmm... I'm a little bit jealous of the runners but mostly looking forwards to a good day's stalking from the sofa image

Best of luck to all the VLMers and all the other racers this weekend.

• Options
    Best of luck to all running and racing this weekend, hope it goes wonderful well!
  • Options

Hi this is natty

a few more races for the list, that's if my foot sorts itself out.  Been sore since Paris

10 May - Bromsgrove 10k

24 May - Ox Half

17 July - Olympic Park 10k

11 October - Royal Parks Half

18 October - Amsterdam marathon!!!!!!!

thank you!

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

List Fairy I've been on a race binge, and have a few I haven't added already too...

Can you put me down for:

3 May – Regent’s Park Summer Series 10k

7 June – Regent’s Park Summer Series 10k

21 June – Nike Women’s 10k

5 July – Regent’s Park Summer Series 10k

12 July – British 10k London

19 July – Olympic Park 10k

2 August – Regent’s Park Summer Series 10k

27 Sept – Berlin Marathon

11 Oct – Royal Parks

Thank you!

(can someone now please take the internet and/or my bank card away from me)

• Options

Quietly nervous. Have a 160kms bike ride to do in the morning in the Belgian Ardennes: the very hilly Liege-Bastogne-Liege. It's the equivalent exercise of about a 65km run. Eek.

Anyone else doing anything out of the ordinary this weekend? image

• Options

Hi PC - following up on the earlier conversation about Max HR, I saw this info on a cycling website today related to HR-based training. Thought it had some relevance:

Many believe that you can calculate your maximum HR by using the formula of 220 minus your age. For some people this may be accurate, but for many it will be wildly out. I’m 54 years old so, using the formula, my max HR should be 166 (220-54). It’s actually 178, which is a big difference when training in very tight zones.

A much more accurate formula is 210 minus half your age, then subtract 5% of your body weight in pounds. Add four for a male and 0 for a female.

So, I am 47y.o. Using the original formula, it would say 220-47=173. Using the adapted formula, 210-(47/2)=186.5. Body weight is 69kms, 5% is 3.45, so 186.5-3.45 is rounded to 183.

It's been a while since I actually tested my MHR but I think it is around 181-182.

HTH.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tricky - assuming you don't really measure your weight in kilometresimage the formula uses your weight in pounds. I think you'll need to knock a few bpm off. 

• Options

Wish I'd found this thread before Paris, some very interesting posts especially about training. I hit the wall big time last week, the last 8 miles felt like hell (somehow managing a 7 minute pb). Since then I've re-evaluated my training and am trying to figure out how I can consistently hit the 1'40 for halfs but cant get sub 4 for a full. I've consistently used the smart coach running plans on here and they've been great for my halfs, but it feels like I need to try something else for my next full.

One thing I'm wondering is whether my base level of fitness is more tailored to shorter runs, bearing in mind that I only run one marathon a year compared to roughly 6 halfs plus Parkruns. 

BTW, totally in awe of some of the pb's you guys have!!

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Using Tricky's formula my MHR IS 185.  Based on my workouts it is usually calculated at 183.  Using the standard formula it's 177, which I a tad lower than it should be

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Tricky - assuming you don't really measure your weight in kilometresimage the formula uses your weight in pounds. I think you'll need to knock a few bpm off. 

Well spotted Orbutt image

The final (correct result would then be).... 186.5 - 9.9 + 4 = 183

Which is more or less spot on. Erghum. Friday afternoon maths brain fail!image

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    using the 1st formula 220-35=185bpm.

2nd formula 210-(35/2)=192.5-5%of 160=184.5+4=188.5.bbp

Both are quite a bit out for me,I've recentky recorded 200bpm,a while back it was 203bpm.I reckon the 2nd one would be closer to most people's than the old method
  • Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    I've had a look at flights for Amsterdam and Dublin.Im torn on whether to do Amsterdam with my wife or take the kids with us to Dublin for the same price.I really like having my kids there cheering me on and seeing them when I finish adds to the euphoria of it all.
  • Options

Hello one and all! I'm after some advice please ( as usual!!)

im doing VMLM on Sunday and the forecast is rain. Being an Aussie I've never really tried running in rain before.  Please could you give me your top tips for running in the rain?

I have Vaseline and Body Glide with me. Not sure if they're really the same thing. Do I plaster my feet in one or both? How thick do I spread said products? 

Anything else I should be doing? I have a bin bag and also newly purchased short sporty raincoat (Primark sale, could tie round waist or dump)

Your thoughts please. Assume nothing, I guarantee that you wont patronise me! 

Thank you!

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

The weather forecast is improving ... I should think it's just a bit of light rain which will be appreciated.  Perhaps, wear some old clothes you can discard at the start line to kee you warm until you start

• Options

Charlie4 - have a great marathon on Sunday! I guarantee that you are waterproof image

• Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Good luck, TD!  That sounds all sorts of daunting to me.

I can't say I've got anything out of the ordinary lined up by the standards on here.  I did, however, go swimming for the first time in a couple of years.  Ouch!  My arms hate me.  I'm also getting the train through to Kirkcaldy for the parkrun, and will be cycling the 27-28 miles back.  The plan is not to get run over, or too lost.  It'll be a mini adventure.

Charlie, I'll wait on the wiser heads to help you with your queries...but I wish you, and all the other VLMers all the best for Sunday!  Enjoy it image

Massive congratulations to Emmy for her 99th + 1 marathon completed earlier today!  What a legend.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Good luck to all the VLM'rs this weekend!  I am incredibly jealous image

Charlie - put body glide on any body part that might slide against another body part - between toes, thighs if wearing shorts, inner part of upper arms, breast creases, that other part, etc.   You can't put too much on.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning. Just popping in to say to Emmy that received my award yesterday for taper madness. A great honour. Thank you very much!

Oh...and Emmy - have you really ran 100 marathons?! If so that is pretty bloody amazing.

All ok here, learning to run again and enjoying not worrying about my diet or anything. Good luck to all on here running VLM tomorrow. Charlie - if wet I would put plenty of vaseline or bodyglide (both do same job but bodyglide doesn't stain clothes so much) on your sensitive bits including between toes and especially nips and crotch area.

• Options

Hi Charlie - make sure that you were non-cotton socks - these dry out much quicker if you get dry periods so you are less likely to get trench foot.  I find wearing a cap or visor on your head keeps the rain off your face and kids your brain that it's not raining.

Importantly try and keep dry at the start - you will get uncomfortably cold but once you get going running in the rain is quite pleasant - it helps to stop you over heating - one of the things that makes your brain slow your pace.

VLM is amazing - make sure you have your name printed boldly on your t-shirt - the crowds love being able to shout out your name and it is a real boost.

I've never used body glide but I have had a bad experience with putting Vaseline on my feet - go easy on it unless you have used it in training.

Good luck.

Anyone doing Paris 2016?

• Options

Mrs Trogg - Oh yes, there are plenty already signed up and plenty more will do so in the Autumn. Someone will start a new thread for 2016 soon.

Charlie4 - it's looking like less chance of substantial rain tomorrow. You'll be grand image

• Options

How did it go, Tricky Dicky?

• Options

Thanks folks!! I now have a plan! Very exciting  I've just been along The Mall and looked at all the preparations  Can't wait! Now sitting on my hotel bed eating Marks and Spencer's finest carbs! 

By the way, entries open on Wednesday for the Disneyworld marathon / Dopey challenge. I know a few on here were considering doing it. Entries usually fill within 24 hours. 

• Options

Congrats Emmy image hope your going to rest those trotters now !!!

Good luck to all of you running London tomorrow image

• Options

Congrats to Emmy!!!????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Options

Hmmmm, that was a line of pretty balloons when I pressed send!!!  Emmy, please imagine red balloons...

• Options

Epic running at Fowlmead today to celebrate Emmy's 100th image.

Now gearing up for some serious supporting tomorrow - watch out between miles 16 and 17 for Stool flags, and also at other places around the course. Good running people - weather forecast's looking like it might be a bit drier than we thought originally.

• Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭

Good luck everyone running VLM tomorrow - Shall be watching from Man Flu infested bed! 

Well done Emmy - nutcase!

• Options

Emmy you legend! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Best of luck to the VLMers. And to Onetit on her half-marathon image