Options

Paris Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

Hi Ell, Mrs Trogg and Phil

Happy birthday Kenno

Well done Emmy, TD and all the Londoners

Jus T - don't touch their windows - they're remote controlled and easily brokefied. The balcony door curtains are okay though - they're manually operated.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Nice to see others doing the Dopey Challenge - it was huge fun.

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Thanks Jimbob and Phil, Paris will be my A race if I get in London, the main event.  I couldn't sacrifive it for a better time in London.  Probably won't get through the ballot in any case especially as they've increased the amount of people who enter.  I wouldn't really want to defer if I did get in unless injured as that's a missed run for someone plus the cost of registering again the following year, I'd just treat it as a fun run and really soak up the atmosphere whilst getting a comfortable yet respectable time.... at least that's what I'd tell myself until I've run a couple of miles!

Anyway my trainings going welol this year in prep for Liverpool marathon, I ran my longest run (17 miles) on Sunday keeping all miles below 8:00 pace for 7:52 average overall.  Usually 20 mile runs about 8:42 pace and PB is 3:39 so I'm aiming for 3:29:59 but would be happy with PB, delighted with 3:34:59 and blown away by sub 3:30.  strategy is building distance without losing too much pace ... More rest days ... Effectively run less run faster which has been proven in all distances with the marathon still left to evidence.

Next race is a hilly Leeds half with course PB of 1:42 and hoping for sub 1:40, but still won't beat my PB at a very flat York "Brass Monkey" in January of 1:34:22 where I surprised myself with 7:11 average And three sub 7 mile splits.

• Options

Lovely to see people registering for Dopey, it's just the most amazing thing! To be honest, I much preferred it to VMLM. Dopey is pure fun and far, far less congested than London. You can actually run ( shock, horror!!) you'll have so much fun!!

• Options

Happy belated birthday kenno! 

list fairy  - please can you add me and Mr KS to the London 10k on July 12th and just me to the Dorset Invader on July 18th?

Thanks for the encouragement on my speedy runs! I am pleased, although feeling tired today after my commute and then a run last night as well. Body conditioning class tonight, run tomorrow and then a swim on Friday (or maybe a rest).

I had a bath after the run last night, which Mr KS ran for me. It was lovely. We then had a yummy dinner of avocado, scrambled eggs with cottage cheese, hummus, celery sticks and orange pepper batons, with a bit of salami and hot sauce. Gosh, I almost feel like a grown up image

Well done to Meadower and HIAHS for doing the Dopey! I need to see lots of photos and read race updates, want to live vicariously... One day, I'll do it. 

• Options

list fairy  please add Clontarf Half Marathon on July 4th and Dublin Marathon October 25th for me! Sounds like everyone is well back into things image I have a gluteal  injury as a result of feeling too big for my boots at a Pilates class and ignoring a tired/cramping body. Anyone else find that they're the MOST injury-prone straight after a race when you're full of motivation but not much rest? 

• Options

Oh yes Joanna3, I am having to control my enthusiasm at the moment. I seem to keep targeting hills after running on the flat all winter. I'm trying to get off road more and do recovery runs on the flat to compensate. Its my favorite time of year for running so its hard to rain it in image I'm just waiting for the ITB pain to start up.

I'm going to be unpopular here, but I just can't understand the pleasures of the Dopey Challenge! I've never liked Disney and just don't get it.  Its not that I'm not happy for the rest of you, I just feel a bit deficient and bemused. Am I alone? Am I just a moody git?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

The Disney marathon was my first marathon and I'd like to do the Dopey at some point. I have fond memories of the marathon there, ran it in 2007 and 2008. Although I believe it's grown and changed quite a bit since then.

I have to admit to being a big kid and love the theme parks. A week of junk food, theme parks and driving around Florida is right up my street.

As for running at this time of year normally it's great, but yesterday I ran in sun/hailstones/snow/sun. That wasn't fun!

• Options
    Joanna3 wrote (see)

list fairy  please add Clontarf Half Marathon on July 4th and Dublin Marathon October 25th for me!

They should call it Clontarf Arf image

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Disney rocks! And now they own Star Wars it's even better! Having a 7 year old and 4 year old helps!
  • Options

I did offer my kids Eurodisney once. I caved in to the pressure I was getting from other parents. They looked at me like I was mad. Non of us are very big on fantasy and make-believe (though we all love this in a book or film). They didn't want to believe in Father Christmas or the Tooth Fairy either. Perhaps I just projected all my opinions onto them? Ah well, too late now image They do seem to laugh a lot anyway.

Hope you have fun in Florida, whoever goes there image

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Charlie4 wrote (see)

Lovely to see people registering for Dopey, it's just the most amazing thing! To be honest, I much preferred it to VMLM. Dopey is pure fun and far, far less congested than London. You can actually run ( shock, horror!!) you'll have so much fun!!

Charlie4 - as you know, I'm a big fan of the Dopey, but I have to say for me London tops almost everything (Comrades is the top image).  I had no problem in London with overcrowding - it was very crowded but I was able to keep any pace I wanted.  I was not going for a pb so perhaps I did not have the frustration I might have had when slowed by runners in front.

I'm kinda thinking about just doing the Disney Half that weekend....

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Spent some time catching up on this thread.

Firstly, belated congrats to Emmy on 100+!

Many thanks for the good luck and well done shouts for the VMLM last Sunday. I held London Marathon in such high regard and was so excited to be doing it I'm not sure it wasn't an anti-climax. Some of the route was truly amazing and the support is phenomenal. But doing it 2 weeks after Brighton may have been too soon for only my 4th marathon. Although I told myself it was a fun run I'm now a bit disappointed for myself for scoring a personal worst time. Eggy, I think you commented that you had a similar experience when you didn't take it seriously a few years ago.

Having said that I will still apply for a ballot place again in the future. Just not in any rush. And I wouldn't want to put anyone off entering - it is a massive event and I'm really pleased to have been a part of it.

Was really great to catch up with some threaders from here in the pub and along the route too image

Jellybum wrote (see)

Olympic park 10k people do you know if you have to reserve stadium tickets for friends at the finish, or can they just rock up?

Jelly - I don't think anyone responded to this? I did this event 2 years ago when it was 5m distance and signed up again for this year. Last time they supplied 2 spectator tickets per runner and sent a t-shirt to be worn at the event. Can't find any details on the link for this year but they do expect family and friends to be in the stadium supporting. I expect there will be similar controls on entry for spectators this time round.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Lloyd - My experience of London was similar. I'd ran Paris two weeks before and turned up with a cruise around and enjoy it mentality. The fact was I'd obviously trashed my legs in Paris and was really struggling from about mile 19 onwards. From there to the finish line is up there with the worst I've ever felt on a marathon.

I enjoyed London, but it's not my favourite marathon. For me it was far too crowded, and while the support was immense, the noise from them for the entirety of the 26.2 miles actually started to hurt my ears! I think that was a wake up call to me that I actually enjoy the quieter sections that most big city marathons tend to have.

Another thing I learned is I'm a time based/goal orientated runner. I don't get any sense of achievement from having just gotten around. I need to know that I pushed myself to the limit and did my best.

That said I would never put anyone off running London. I do count running over Tower Bridge as a 'wow' moment. I've not entered the ballot since running it. I'm glad I've done it, but I kind of feel I've ticked that one off now.

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

I fell apart like a clown's car at the Paris marathon - I think it was mainly the heat, as leg cramps from 18 miles onwards left me swearing and walking a lot - I couldn't run half a mile without stopping to sort my legs out, and my goal of a GFA time was missed by 8 minutes in the end.

Fast forward two weeks to london and the weather was much more comfortable for a Scotsman - actually the weather was perfect for running. I ran the easiest and best race of my life, had everything totally under control and felt like I was holding something back, right up until I ran out of steam at 20 miles. I blame Paris and residual fatigue in the legs - maybe going for a PB at both races wasn't such a good idea? In fact, with hindsight, perhaps 2 races in 2 weeks was a little ambitous. GFA missed by 4 minutes at London. Getting better, was was hopeful after only missing GFA by 1 minute at London last year.

Anyway, couldn't help but draw comparisons between the 2 races. Paris may have had more runners, but it somehow didn't feel like it. There just seemed to be more space to run in at Paris, particularly as London felt noticeably busier this year. Advantage Paris. Both have amazing architecture and "iconic" settings en route. Draw. Paris had the Bois du Boulogne at about the same point as London has the drop down from Tower Bridge to the Embankment, and the difference in atmosphere and support was a stark contrast, particularly when most of us are struggling by this point. Add the very vocal support all the way around London and for me, London wins by a nose. Each to their own, and the crowds and business at London this year was bordering on overwhelming, but I like that. London was also my first marathon, so it has a special meaning for me.

Really hoping I can do both next year, but if I do, I then have the dilemna of deciding which one of these amazing events is the "A" race and which one gets relegated to "B".

Well done to anyone else who managed both..............anyone else doing Edinburgh in May?

• Options

BM good luck with the raining it in  - let me know if you figure it out! Weedy I will broach that - with the flattest Dublin accent ever it sort of loses its oomph though. We need a bit of Yorkshire Aaaar image If there are any Dubliners on this thread please do the Clontarf Arf in July - yes, the wooden bridge floods sometimes so you have to run along and then jump off a 5 foot wall, and sure, the locals in Howth do not understand what a race is and stand in your path with their dog shouting things like "GWAN GIRLO", but the final 2km is a straight flat sprint along Clontarf prom which is quite pretty and it's sponsored by a fish and chip shop this year so that should be interesting 

• Options
    rodeoflip wrote (see)

maybe going for a PB at both races wasn't such a good idea? In fact, with hindsight, perhaps 2 races in 2 weeks was a little ambitous.

In the words of James Cracknell (spoken in his interview after finishing VLM) - ''either go in big, or go home!!'' image 

I say that totally tongue in cheek! I always go in with the intention of running as fast as possible and enjoying it as much as possible - unfortunately those two concepts don't necessarily go together all that well! image

• Options
    rodeoflip wrote (see)

I fell apart like a clown's car at the Paris marathon

Now that IS funny Rodeoflip image  Sorry for you of course but it made me laugh!!

• Options

Thanks LloydR - My sister and her husband may be coming to visit, they have two small children(both under 3) so would love them to be in the stadium.  Maybe I'll mail the organisers and see what the say.

• Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

It got the same reaction from me, TD.  Top stuff, rodeoflip!  I'm also running Edinburgh, incidentally - it's my first at what's now my home race.  I take it you're going big again here?!  I've had the benefit of 7 weeks between Paris and Edinburgh, not being lucky/mad enough to squeeze London in there between them, so it's certainly my plan!

Good to hear all the positivity around Disney.  Dannirr, it'd be great if you were there for the half, go for it!  KS - there'll be pictures galore, I'm aiming for PWs at every distance image

Tonight was the Self-Transcendence 5k for me; had been a rotten day leading up to it but it calmed down nice enough by the 7.30pm start time.  I'm a happy man, coming out with a shiny new 18:35 PB, taking 48 seconds off my old PB.  My previous came from parkrun on the same course, but this doubled as the Scottish Athletics Champs so it felt completely different.  It was just under a year ago I squeezed under 20 minutes for the first time; I have a stupid grin on my face. image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Meadower - Well done! You're flying right now.

I did the Paris/London double once and I'd never run two that close together again. I'm doing Stockholm, which is seven weeks after Paris and I'm nervous about that. I'm going to go for it though.

• Options

Meadower  woohoo....great running ! you deserve that grin on your face image 

• Options
    Jellybum _:you can use my stadium passes for the Olympic 10k. I'll probably come down on me tod
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Me too Jellybum if needs be - I will possibly need one, but probably not so if it is passes only, then you can have mine too!

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Meadower:Im off to Florida in 7 weeks,I'll let Mickey and the gang know you are coming
  • Options

I'll have passes for the Olympic 10k too if anyone needs them.

• Options
    Benign Murmurring wrote (see)

They didn't want to believe in Father Christmas or the Tooth Fairy either. Perhaps I just projected all my opinions onto them? Ah well, too late now image They do seem to laugh a lot anyway.

I often feel like a bad parent as I struggle to pretend Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy exist when talking to my daughter. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

List Fairy, I'm doing Summer Ranscombe on 12th July. Thank you!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

A little something for those people who took part in the Paris Marathon 2015.

For the best viewing experience, make sure it's playing in HD.

It may be blocked in some countries due to music copyright - I don't know, all I did was take someone's hard work and use it without their permissionimage

Paris Marathon 2015

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Meadower - wow, you're on form right now, great to hear!

Eggy - I heard your voice about stuffing jelly babies down in London, being 2 weeks apres Paris. It was a week too close, however, learnt more about marathons in London than any of the other 4 I've participated in before, so see that in a positive light and heartily looking forward to smashing my pb of 3:58 in Amsterdam. I have a clearer idea of what I need to do in the race, know the course and forming ideas of how to build on training.

Speaking of which; does anyone have any views on the RW marathon training plans?

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Eggyh:With the form you've been on the past 4-5 months Im sure you'll give Stockholm another solid attempt.

Orapidrun:I've always used the RW schedules.Although I've never hit my target time I've always felt fit enough to hit my target,my training runs suggest I should,but for 1 reason or another I've always missed out,tho last time I was only 10 minutes out.Is it these ones you are talking about

http://web.archive.org/web/20110115012138/http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-vlm-garmin-ready-marathon-schedule-sub-345/3183.html

Joanna:Im swaying towards running Dublin.The flight prices are good at the moment.I can take the kids with us for the same price as Amsterdam flights for just my wife and I.Its also 3 weeks after the Glasgow half which gives me the green light to give it my all and not worry about it affecting my marathon preparation.