Options

Venice Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Don't dis the ankle-warmers bro, they are a running (and style) necessity and I will be at the forefront of the ankle-warmer revolution that's about to hit the marathoning community!

My shorts are lovely, but clearly should be used for poncing about in rather than actually running in. They are the Nike 2-in-1 things, my husband has two pairs and think they are great, but his seem to fit a lot better.

Now, where can I find myself another running leotard with frilly belt!?

• Options

I would never dis anything out of the 80's - they would go well with shoulder pads as well

Never tried the 2 in 1 shorts. You could just wear what Yvonne Van Vlerken the triathlete ironman women wears with a risky white leotard / swimsuit!!!!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZxt7efFKUabo4zzRtd-ju5oW8B_2rHkHxq7HkMp_g8m8qvRmi-j1hpsg

it works for her and she ran a 2:54 marathon at the end of the ironman....

You might find yourself leading the field wearing that!!!!!!

• Options

Flipping heck, that is one crazy leotard look, I would never have thought that white would be a good choice, she is very brave! With white calf-guards as well, wow! Think I might have just found a new fashion hero!

• Options

Woohoo, I broke the 2hr barrier for the first time today, I did the Torbay Half which was really quite hilly! I got 1h54, a 12 min PB, very happy with that!  

• Options

12 min PB is very impressive. onwards and upwards, as you can probably take another 5 mins off for a flat course. 1:49 for a flat course!

So you looking at a sub 4hr marathon? - I think the crazy leotard look could make all the difference.....

• Options

I think I'd run like a bat out of hell in a leotard, wouldn't want anyone to recognise me!!

I am hoping for a 4hr30 marathon first, Paris was a bit of a flop at 4hr50 but if I'm realistic, I wasn't running fast enough in training to get a 4hr30. I think I could do it this time at Loch Ness if the hills aren't horrendous. I wouldn't get a sub 4hr marathon even in my wildest dreams!!

• Options

I dont think you are too far off it. a 1:54 half should equate to a 3:58 marathon and a 1:49 on a flat half would be 3:47(almost gfa london) , but these are a bit optimistic sometimes and presume good marathon training. but with lots of time left to improve i really think you should be looking at dipping under the 4 hrs.

• Options

It would be very optimistic, I'd never be able to hold that sort of pace for the second half unfortunately, although I didn't ever feel like I was pushing out of my comfort zone there wasn't much left at the end I don't think, and I'm terrified of going out too quickly and ending up walking!!

• Options

that is the danger going out too fast too early. I think you will smash the 4:30. I can never hold my marathon pace in training but on race day there  is always a bit more in the tank.

• Options
    Yes it's funny how different it can feel on race day, I kept thinking that I'd definitely blow up any second, but it didn't happen, if I ran even a mile at that pace in training I'd be walking home!

My footwear saga continues, looks like I'm going to have to keep looking, Nike aren't doing it for me, Brooks Flows cripple my calves, Brooks Cadence cripple one heel. Yay!
  • Options

same here - god know what happens on race day.

Hmmm could get expensive on the footware!

• Options

Is anybody out theeeeere?! image

I might be talking to myself here, can't believe that only 4 Brits want to admit to signing up for Venice!

I have broken a little personal record recently, ended up running 50 miles in a week, first time ever! I also ended up running 8 days in a row which is another little record, feel fantastic tbh but have taken a day off so as not to over do it as that way lies injury for sure. I've got a spur of the moment half marathon booked on Sunday, purely as I'm in the area and someone else I know is doing it (and it was cheap!) so don't want to do anything too crazy before that either.

How is everyone else doing (if you're out there!!)?

• Options

Hi all, entered months ago all booked and staying in meta area. Haa anyone heard anything back from them? I've got doc note done and do we send it off or take it with us? I also did Rome this year and that was disorganised  but this seems worse! image

Heroine, looks like you foot wear has bitten you like most, most companies drop there heal to toe due to this barefoot or minimalist crap! If ur a heal striker u may need heal inserts which are great. I was a nike pegasus man for years but now adidas got inserts In or calfs are screwed! 

• Options

Yep Imback after a moment in the wilderness - its too hot to run so been taking a bit of time off. no running for 2 weeks and I feel great! Unlike HIAHS,who seems to be racking up my share of running as well.

muzza - good point i have a docs note that i need to send off to them....

• Options

Hi everyone, me and my boyfriend are both doing venice. Though we won't be running together as he is hoping for close to 3 hours and I am more of a plodder with a 4 hour 11 pb but not sure if I have the fitness to do close to that time in venice.

how is everyone's training going? We were also wondering about the medical form is it posted or just handed in when get there?

• Options

geordie jo, I think you are supposed to fax it to them in advance. good to see a couple more will be doing the marathon....

Training not started yet as its too hot for me. hope to start next week on a 12 week schedule.

• Options

I have faxed my health form off does anyone know if there is a receipt of this or fedback that they have received it?

• Options

Hello everyone, lovely to see some new faces! Muzza and Geordie Jo tell us about yourselves, how many marathons have you done, can we class you as marathon nutters or first timers!? Jo you obviously have done one before, where was it, did you enjoy it?

Wenterrapin I hope you've found your running mojo now!

I got back from a week in Mallorca on Thurs, ran 6 out of the 7 days I was there and God was it hot and hilly. I thought I was doing awfully but I did manage to run 50 miles whilst I was there so it was worth it and I got some decent hill training in even if I did hate every step! It has paid off because yesterday I chose a 90% flat route and finally did my first 20 miler, it was supposed to be 18 but I was feeling fantastic so I carried on to 20. I am so glad to be able to tick the first 20 miler off the list because Loch Ness is in 8 weeks and I've been languishing around the 16 mile mark until now. I am still in complete shock at my time as well, averaged 8.53 min/miles over the full 20 miles, came in just under 3hrs, don't know how that happened, I'm sure i'll never do it again!!!

I tried some new gels yesterday, I had a raspberry Cliff Shot and a whole stick of Cliff Shot Blocks. They certainly did the trick but my stomach didn't thank me for it at all, ended up on the loo for most of the evening!! I will give them another couple of goes and if they have the same effect then I'll have to give up on them, because I know the SIS gels are fine but they are so big that I can't easily transport them - I've just bought a Nathan Hydration belt which is fab as it has a little pouch for gels as well as two water bottles, but I'd not fit all the SIS gels in there!

I have been burying my head in the sand re medical form - I have one that I got signed for Paris in April this year, I assume I can use it for this? Wenterrapin have you heard anything back after faxing yours off?

• Options

HIAHS - no no reply back . i might email them . not sure what the process is.

Def stick with the tried and trusted gels if i was you. I used to use the sis gels and they are a bit large to carry. In barcelona this year i lost 2 in the first mile and only had 2 left, but everything turned out fine. Good going to get 20 miles in sub 3 hours. That means you should be doing the marathon  in sub 4 hours.

Still not found my running mojo yet. In fact not run past 8 miles for about 2/3 months!image

• Options

Wenterrapin - you'll find the mojo somewhere I'm sure, still ages to go yet before you need to get worried about the 20 milers! I am starting to get that irrational fear of absolutely everything! I was worried that I wasn't going to manage 20 miles and that I should've done one ages ago, now that I've done one I've found myself worried that I've peaked too early! Utter bollox, I really need to sort myself out!

On the plus side I am crossing everything and hoping that my shoe dilemma has been sorted! I bought a cheap (lightly used *shudders*) pair of Brooks Ghost's off of ebay because I refuse to spend another £90-odd quid on shoes that eat my feet! I ran in them for the first time yesterday and they were fantastic, all my skin is still on my feet and I didn't get any odd pains! Hurrah! I do secretly think that I need the Brooks Ravenna though, same shape but have a bit of support and I know I do over-pronate on one leg slightly. The Ghost just have a load of padding but is for a neutral runner, but seeing as I'd been going great with the neutral Cadence shoe I thought I'd give it a go.

• Options

Heroine, Im on 112 marathons but currently over cooked myself and got chronic fatigue. image I cant do what most do and plod, everyone is a race to me much to my current state. Was around 2.50-3.00 for the first 6 this year but since Comrades Ive been wasted, so last 4 have been 3.09-3.19 and that's giving 100% so I'm having 2 wks of being a couch potato then start over. Got a few before venice but this is now a goal race for me so wanna get well before I start. 

Good luck with the training everyone! My current training schedule is SLEEP N EAT! 

• Options

HI, Venice will be my 5th marathon. My first marathon was six years ago in Chuncheon in South Korea (I taught English out there and started running as joining a running group was the only way I could meet English speaking people outside of my colleagues and students). I did 4:11 in the first marathon but keep getting slower each one I have done. Hopefully I can get somewhere near it at Venice but we will see. I am doing the required mileage but I don't seem to have the pace I want yet.

Well done on your 20 miles Heroine. Sounds like your training is going well.

• Options

Muzza - you did Comrades? Did you make the cut off? I watched a lot of it on youtube as I knew a couple of people doing it, it is brutal! Ummmm, if you've done 112 marathons I am not surprised that you're knackered, you are mental (in a good way of course!). 112, unreal! Are you one of the Enigma attendees? I hope that you get the rest that you need and come out strong for Venice.

Geordie Jo - Pace can be hard work when you're trying to go long all the time, my pace was through the floor for my first one, so I've worked at pushing on this time but it does make it rather less enjoyable at times! I quite liked bimbling along, shame it didn't actually get me that fit!! I would be absolutely excstatic if I got 4.11 mind you, think I'd probably faint!

• Options

I really should've googled how to spell ecstatic before hitting submit!! image

• Options

Heroine, yeah comrades is tough well the down run was, going up next year which they say is easier. Made the cut off fine was hoping to go sub 7.30 but it went wrong at 47-48m ended up 7.47 AMA ing event. By far the best thing I've done to date. Yeah done a few Enigmas, good little events! Got a couple end if the month all being well. Have you done some?

• Options

Muzza I am happy to report that I am not quite crazy enough for Enigma events, I'll leave the multiples for the pros! I am in awe of anyone that does Comrades, it looked utterly amazing, I'd love to go and watch it because every single runner deserves to be supported. Congratulations to you for doing it, you must have been overjoyed to have completed it.

• Options

It's defiantly a special event in every way, wasn't thinking that at 80-90k tho! Very friendly atmosphere well worth a visit. Going back next year for the up run and my back to back medal. 

• Options

Oh yes, the b-2-b medal! Will you get a different coloured run number as well as it's your second? I think the medals really should be bigger, but as my friends pointed out, a lot of Ultras don't even give you a medal image. What other marathons have you got before Venice then?

• Options

Think u get a yellow number to show your going for B2B. I've got a couple enigma ones end of August then barnstaple end of sept. Gonna try and get some speed up and drop a few lbs before venice. 

• Options

Hey I've just found this when googling Venice marathon. I've signed up for it. I'm based in Hong Kong and this will be my 3rd (4th) marathon, I did Paris earlier this year and HK marathon in 2013. Pre kids I did triathlon and and my last race was an IM (2004!) so that was my first marathon I guess but I don't really count it as different focus and a long time ago. I don't know anyone going to Venice or training for it so thought it would be good to find some others who are (first time on a running forum!) 

I have confirmation on my entry but haven't done anything with the medical certificate (I'm using the one for Paris) should I send it to them does anyone know???