Options

manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

I've run in 4 marathons and perhaps 6 halves.   20% have had significant mismeasures.   Maybe I'm just unlucky!

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Interestingly, my Garmin measured 26.02 miles last year and that's why I am doing it again! imageimage

• Options

FG - as this is my first marathon I really wish you hadn't started this conversation - perhaps I will start a little bit back from the start mat!

• Options

/members/images/673230/Gallery/Capture_219.PNG

Staying in a hotel in Sale - does anyone know if the warning message about ongoing weekend improvement work is likely to cause us a problem travelling in to Old Trafford?

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

For those interested the live tracking and facebook updates have now been activated. 

My garmin measured 26.1 last year so according to my garmin connect account I still haven't run a marathon yet. As we know the courses are measured with a man on a pushbike with a 'clicker' on a wheel that clicks for each rotation of the wheel that measures 3ft 6" (I think). From that they can get an accurate course measurement rather than relying on new fangled technology 

• Options

RE: distance, just trust that courses like these have been measured and verified, you can't make judgements about the measured course by looking at plotted versions online as these will not be the 'exact' same lines taken by the wee man with the clicky wheel as he measured the course.

Also, it is possible to run a marathon but run 'less' than a marathon but cutting the tangents instead of running the blue line, it is what you hear many elite runners doing.

I am happy that Manchester is a verified marathon course and will have been measured well!  I am also happy that GPS is not always the most accurate.  One year when I ran the Lossiemouth Half Marathon it measured 13.3 miles on my garmin- this year when I ran the same course exactly it measured 13.01 miles.  Both seem significantly different to the 13.1 they 'should' have been but there are a multitude of reasons for that.

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Garmin distances are estimated via the satellites, the time is 100% accurate.

Regards

• Options
    Sff - no you are fine. The Altrincham to manchester line which sale is on is full service. I will probably aim for the 7:17 one.

Have signed up for fb tracking and time sharing etc. No being shit now!
  • Options

I have been snooping on this thread now since the start of the year. I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments, not long now and the nerves are setting in.  Really looking forward to it .

• Options

Helen7 - greetings.. never too late to join in image

The course is certified by UKA. That's good enough for me.

Have shaken off my malaise from earlier in the week with a confidence boosting run tonight. Was supposed to do 7 miles with 2 miles at MP. Ended up doing 4 miles at MP so cut overall length to 5.5 miles.

I thought I had put the handbrake on after the first 2 miles at MP but the next 2 floated on at that pace too so quite pleased. Effort-wise it got easier as I went along.

Never mind cotton wool... I am wrapping myself in layers of bubble wrap from now until Sunday. Anti-bacterial hand washing every hour and constantly drinking water from my 1.5L bottle. My favourite salmon and broccoli pasta bake for the last super on Saturday. Can't wait.

Will do a very easy 2 - 3 miles on Saturday morning but that is all. Nothing tomorrow or Friday.

Rest up now everybody!!

• Options

I'm struggling to find excuses.

Last bit of speed work at a track session tonight............my legs feel great. 

I'm going to predict.....................2:52:XX.........there I've said it.

• Options

Right you lot pack it in.............i have been working out of the office today and doing alot of travelling. I get home and 4 yes FOUR pages of postings. Took me 20 minutes to get up to date !!!

So as a summary, we have people with blue nails and shaving (or not shaving their private parts) we have people with itchy backs and doctors who have OCD in hand washing. We have people who don't know how to get to the course, and some want to run the day before whilst some sit and watch the football results. Some are stretching, some are sleeping, some like cinderella and some are counting to 100 and others are just going to have fantasies whilst in the last 5 miles. imageimageimage.

I think i will shave my private parts, do nothing on Saturday and then have fantasies in the last 5 miles hehehe - OK TMI !!!

Well that was a fun 20 minutes read.image

Ok start posting again now, i have caught up with it all.

So nervous at the moment and i am not sleeping, keep waking up at like 2-4am.

• Options

Evening all,

Just back from a 4 mile steady with some nice inclines. Foots a bit sticky and my calves are a bit hot, but not panicking yet. I think a lot of it paranoia, but taking no chances.

Cheeky stride session last night - felt OK, but was tiring in the heat. I have a 5k with the juniors from running club on Sat - I'm sweeping at the back so I doubt I'll get a full mile running in, but it'll be fun none the less. Then it's on the train to Manchester, with the rest of the family catching up later in the day.

Loving the beard growing image

Ali - don't think I'm brave enough to do the live updates, plus I want to do a big 'GUYS!!! I'm....' On the club facebook page and keep a surprise element.

It's cooled significantly late afternoon / evening here at home (few miles from Sherwood Pines) - what's it like in. Manchester? 

Slowly gathering the food and supplies for Sunday- seem to have a lot of goodies for afterwards!!

I've become obsessive with washing my hands as well - I've also been drinking continually and my bladder control has gone to pot. I think it's just nerves image

Crazy dream last night: I want to do the Walt. Disney World Goofy Challenge next year (5k, 10k, half and a marathon on consequetive days) and this must of infiltrated my dreams. All I can remember is clocking 26.2m on my watch but still wasn't anywhere near the finish or couldn't find it. Clocked 5 hours 15 on the watch and started to panic! Eventually Goofy (?!) appeared and we finished the race by going down a water slide hand in hand! Took me 10 minutes to realise it wasn't real! image

Take it easy all image

• Options
  • Options

People think I've really lost the plot at work LOL image 

• Options
    AliBali123 wrote (see)

Also, it is possible to run a marathon but run 'less' than a marathon but cutting the tangents instead of running the blue line, it is what you hear many elite runners doing..

My understanding is that the official way to measure a course is to follow the shortest route through a series of bends. So theoretically, you shouldn't be able to cut corners... unless you go up onto pavements to cut corners... which you do see people doing... and it annoys me!

If people know different, I'd be interested.

• Options
    Physio says I'm ok to run and won't do any long term damage to my knee by running on Sunday. However, he did say that it may hurt and recommended I read some stuff about having a positive mental attitude to get me through it!

He's given me some stuff to do before now and Sunday, but no running. So my last run will have been 1 week before Manchester with sporadic running for 2 weeks before that! Not ideal preparation, but I do feel fresh and ready to go.

The plan is still to go out at 8:00 miles and I'll just see how I get on. The goal was always to try and break 4 hours even though I was on a sub 3:30 plan. Not sure if my injury/recent reduced mileage will scupper that. I feel I deserve a medal and t-shirt, so I'll try and finish whatever happens!

I know nothing about the course apart from it starts and ends at OT and it's flat. I generally follow the people in front of me and if there's no one in front of me, I'm going too fast! I'm hoping running in a new place will take my mind off the miles to go.

Must admit I'm a slave to my Garmin and will be keeping an eye on it early on to keep to my pace. I do find that as the miles tick by the mental arithmetic needed keeps my brain focussed.

Out of interest, do they have a line which marks the measured route?
  • Options
    No they don't, but you would do well to get lost image
  • Options
    Ah u mean for the shortest measurement? Haha. They still don't image
  • Options
    I've also heard that it's not congested and pretty easy to get into your pace? Found London a nightmare last year!
  • Options
    Imagine a racing line, it would feel like forza 5
  • Options

North Ender- I might be wrong then... I thought the measured 26.2 was along the blue line but it's often not the absolutely shortest route.

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Just finished packing my case. I've a flight out tomorrow morning, as I need to go from Ireland to Manchester via Germany (for a meeting).

Getting stressed.

Need to pack all my business stuff as well as running stuff so I'd say I've written and changed my packing list about 5 times. I also started sneezing this afternoon so am dosing myself up with paracetamol and vit C. 

Did my absolutely, positively, definitely last run earlier tonight. Just a very easy 2 1/2 miles.

I'm not sure how much internet connection I'll have now until after the race so good luck everybody. I've enjoyed the mutual support of this forum, so thanks everyone.

• Options

if we dont hear from you again Redjeep, keep safe, eat some oranges and good luck. 

I sure you will find a connection somewhere though image

• Options
    AB123 - So they do have a blue line for Manchester?
  • Options

AnimalMagic Thanks for the travel advice... I did try to work it out but google map didn't show metro stop names and I was starting to panic! This is my first marathon and I think I'm over-planning/ over-reacting/ over-excited.... Just need to run now!

Hope everyone has a great marathon! 

• Options
    Runningtap wrote (see)
    AB123 - So they do have a blue line for Manchester?

Noooo hehehe, they don't. Would be funny if they did though.

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Panic over,my race chip came today,it wasn't my original one,it's was a resend after the initial one didn't arrive.

What's everyone's fueling strategy for Sunday.I was practicing a gel every 30 mins or so during my long training runs.Most of the time it felt ok but 1 time I did feel a bit sick.Anyone ever followed a similar plan
  • Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    My new number is 11744,I didn't receive any starting instructions or details of what pen I start in,are they clearly numbered by time,I'm hoping to finish 3:45-4:00
  • Options
    I try every 5 miles. Extra if I feel I need a boost!