Options

manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

I was quite surprised at how clean the streets were post-race last year, given the amount of plastic water bags that were dropped outside of the authorised "drop zones" and also the number of gel packets disposed of

Cleaning seemed to be done during and post-race

Some of the Mile markers and signs were still there in the summer though image

• Options

OMG started my carb load and hydration today.

I had one electrolyte drink (rather than water) this morning, changed me salad and chicken for rice and chicken, then just had my second electrolyte drink (rather than water) with a toasted tea cake. I could get used to this lol.

Nothing major, just slightly shifting my diet. I want to put too many pounds on and feel like crap, so just a small shift in eating patterns. 

Tomorrow i might have a tea cake in the morning and afternoon - this is so exciting. 

Well that was another pointless post, but it passes the time away.

• Options

JJ8 - Make sure you don't turn into an old lady eating all those tea cakesimage

• Options

I'm hating the eating already image  I normally have porridge for breakfast and im hungry again by 11 but today I still couldnt be bothered eating by midday.  I'd already totalled up my carb intake for the day and was only at 400g (aiming for 700g) and i think it demoralised me.  Ive had porridge with honey, 2 potato cakes, a chip barm for lunch, been drinking squash all day, numerous jaffa cakes, a pack of dried mango.  Ive got a banana and bagel on my desk just staring at me but im stuffed.  At least i only have fish and rice for tea which should go down easily.  Even with the isotonic drink, squah and biscuits im still only just over 500g carbs.  700g is near impossible IMO.

• Options

Hello all,

I am debating on paying for a hotel or travelling on the morning, I am only coming from Sheffield so its not that far.

If I decide to travel on the morning can anyone give me advice on road closures and parking. I will be coming from the A57 (east). 

Is it best to book the official car parks at old trafford or is there plenty of car parking within easy reach of the start? I would rather save on cash and not stay over but don't fancy a last minute rush with road closures and no parking then miles to get to the start. 

Thanks

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    They say you should maintain the amount of calories you ate pre taper but drop some protein and fat for extra carbs.Ive been struggling for appetite since the drop in mileage and the SLIGHT increase in temperature,usually I can eat like a horse aswell while in full training mode.

Legend777:I have a green number so all is good cheers
  • Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Animal magic:I feel the only way to squeeze the recommended food in is by being awake a bit longer than usual.Im ok as Im on nights and usually only sleep 5-6 hours but if I were on days I could sleep say 8-9,there just wouldn't be enough time for me to eat as much.Ive just been drinking fruit juice and isotonic instead of water just to try get more calories in that way
  • Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I've been carb loading for about 6 weeks now ! Amazingly, I haven't put any weight on which, considering what I'm eating, is pretty impressive. I'm off to get a tea cake now....

• Options

I don't think I'm carb loading enough...I had my regular porridge for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch (2 slices nimble bread) with a bag of skinny popcorn, I'll have a banana this afternoon (as usual) and I think I'll make a chicken risotto for dinner.  May need to eat more cake image  

• Options

Thanks all for the comments regard the distance.
    I'm sure its the correct distance but just something to note for those like me who are slaves to our garmin's.
    Meaning that, if we follow the pace per mile on our watches we should be okay to hit out target time, where as courses that measure long you need to factor in the extra distance over 26.2
    Super excited now.

• Options

Eek have just done a quick calculation & I should be eating 485g of carbs...that's a lot of food. 

• Options

Hi all, 

Just dropping in to wish everyone the best of luck for Sunday! I recognise a few familiar names from this thread last year where I ended up with a lovely PB! 

Oh, and it also measured short on my garmin too, 26.07 but I'm not complaining! 

Good luck all! 

• Options
    I don't carbo load. Pretty much just eat as normal.
  • Options

With you Gary, I might eat slightly differently but look at eating "well" rather than suddenly filling up or eating loads more than usual. Might eat a bit more white rice and pasta rather than the usual brown, fibre laden stuff though

• Options
    If anyone was thinking of doing South Manchester parkun as a last stretch out on Saturday it has been postponed.
  • Options

ah cheers Gary, saves me a trip.  Might do the old trusty Wythenshawe then, its been dry most of the week so should be fairly safe.

• Options
    I'll have a trot around Wythenshawe Parkun I think.
  • Options

Most of my meals feature carbs anyway so I too don't do anything specific.

After my salmon and broccoli pasta-bake on Saturday tea time I will have a bagel and a banana Saturday night as a snack.

Race day morning I will have a bowl of porridge and a chopped up banana with a gel thrown in (never too early to start on the gels folks).

Perversely, the extra sleep this week is making me feel... tired image

• Options

I'm excited about the carb loading, I haven't been eating many carbs at all while away. My scales tell me I've lost 2% body fat and but on 2kg of muscle in 3 weeks. I guess this is good, but probably could do without the change at this point in training. 

That said - I went on a 9km run tuesday around my usual route, it felt horrible, I thought I was running horribly slow and worried about even finishing the race Sunday, but then when I uploaded to Strava today I PRd almost every segment. Silly taper madness. 

Thanks for popping in Ladyfunrun! 

• Options

LFR - sure i read somewhere you are doing London this year?  or did you do Paris?  Sure i saw you on one of the threads recently image  Hope you are well and if you are running London then best of luck image

• Options

Hi AM, Yes, doing London next week.  Thank you image

• Options

My number is blue in colour and says start area D. Does anyone know the predicted time in this pen as I am sure I put down sub 4? image

• Options

Julie - it most likely is sub 4 but i really wouldnt worry yourself.  the roads are wide and not congested so you wont get held up

• Options

Now i have a problem which i could do with some advice on.

I am not 100% comfortable in my new shoes. I am thinking of reverting back to my old ones, which have about 300 miles on them. 

After my 3km run tonight the bottoms of my feet in my new ones were a little sore. I got home, put my old ones on and they felt better.

On the basis that i have done 8km, 5km and 3km in the new shoes, will i be ok to revert back to the old ones?

• Options

old JJ, you know its the right thing to do.

• Options

yeah your right i think. It is such a shame though.

• Options
    JJ - 300 miles in shoes is ok. Put your old ones on. Its going to play on your mind otherwise.......as indeed it already is.
  • Options

Should i run on them tomorrow to readjust or just go on Sunday?

• Options

Cheers for that just another question!! My daughter is playing footy on the sunday morning and is coming later with dadimage can anyone give me any ideas on where they would be best to park up? 

• Options

JJ- go with your old shoes.  You know them, you like them.  

They may have some miles in them but listen, what's another 26 going to do.  Don't worry about it.  Have a go again with your new ones after the marathon has passed, and see if you can get into them then.  If not, hakuna matata.