Options

manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

and as a PS- this is just anecdotal of course but I have worn shoes with about that much mileage in them to a marathon.  I've always been absolutely fine.  In fact my feet are always the least of my concerns post race!  They are always stellar compared to every other part of the body!

• Options

John - put your newer shoes to one side until after the marathon. Run in your old shoes tomorrow.  

• Options

Another vote for the old trainers JJ, 300 miles is only just over halfway through the life of your trainers (according to manufacturers) so I reckon you'll be fine.  Mr CS has just informed me his trainers of choice for this Sunday currently have 451 miles logged in them.

That's me done...3.5miles runned this evening...was meant to be about a minute slower than MP *whistles innocently* it may have been more like MP...oops!!

• Options

I just ran out and 1/2km in the old ones, Much better.

I will be running in the old ones - 100% definate.

Thanks all.

• Options

/members/images/284854/Gallery/20150113_131229.jpg

Here's what all your effort over the last few months is about.......your finishers medal. 

• Options

good stuff!  It's good to make these decisions now so that we don't waste nervous energy on them before the race.

Am loving reading everyone's thoughts before Sunday.  Can hardly keep up, this is moving so fast.  Can't wait to hear how we all get on too.

• Options

My shoes have over 500 miles on them yet i trust them entirely (unless its wet then they are slippy due to all tread being worn image) you will be fine JJ.  Use your new ones for your next challenge

• Options

gary - still love last years medal, was awesome that silver one.  The gold gong looks good but i did like last years

• Options

my pre race prep is sorting out a playlist to listen to.  I know some people don't agree with iPods.  I am going  to listen to a bit of an audio book, currently The Godfather, followed by some music.  All at  a low volume, it stops me getting bored!  

• Options

I have my usual old skool Trance playlist. But i think i will only use it when the going gets tough and i need to go into my own trance.

• Options

JJ I bought a new pair of Nike Pegasus about a month ago, but am reverting back to my old ones even though they are 'supposed' to be the same.

Not run hardly at all since Sunday, but happy about that.  Physio today and she told me my muscles were in good shape!

I am all packed and ready to go, as I am out tomorrow evening (bad planning, but it will take my mind off whats ahead of me!).  Still hope to be in bed reasonably early.  Can't decide between the short sleeve and the sleeveless top, so I am taking both and will decide on the day.  Got a really old fleece of my son's to wear before the start as it looks like it will be fairly chilly.

Helen, I am taking my little iPod shuffle with me.  Figured I could always store it in my lovely Flipbelt if I prefer to hear the sights and sounds of Manchester.

I'm rambling ... love reading everybody's post ...

• Options

I am old skool too.  I made sure a few Smiths favourites were on my playlist.  Be rude not to in Manchester.  Can't decide on top either we live in Derbyshire and is still cool here so will decide on the day too.

• Options

Helen looking at the weather it is saying 15 degrees with some cloud. I therefore expect at 8-9am it will be around 8 or 9 degrees. 

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    JJ-Im with you on the dance music.I'll start with a bit of current house music then some old trance classics for a boost after 20 miles.
  • Options
    Weather 14 degrees and sunny now. Looking good for crowds and not too warm when we start.
  • Options
    Held and jokey shall we have an after race warehouse party.
  • Options
    Never expected to meet any trance fans on here of all places Haha. I'm another trance fan, listen to it most days at work. Not been around the clubbing scene since 2001 tho.
  • Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Another one for trance here too, especially the earlier and 90s stuff. Won't have any music on on race day though.

How are the nerves with everyone today ? I'm a bit calmer now and got a good nights sleep, the last few nights have not been too good as my mind has had other things on it !

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

another for music. no trance tho.

all random upbeat music from arcade fire, some rap, old school classic rave from early nineties, to indie dance floor fillers.

used to be a 'South' man back in the day......"boon army".  image

btw for those who are not aware headphones are allowed this year.

• Options

My nerves are better today. A little calmer.

This mornings assault on fresh orange juice and porridge was tough, not great at 7.30am. BUT..........my tea cake i have just had 10.30am at my desk was greeaaat.

I am going to the race village tomorrow probably early doors to have a look around and get used to the atmosphere a little. Nothing like a little preparation.

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    I'm 35 and hardly listen to anything other than dance music.I can't run unless I have music tho I did run Paris without listening to music.I always have an hour or so of trance classics like Airwave for the final 6 miles,I feel it takes my mind of the pain while I dream of the old party days.

So it's looking like Creamfields for the Manchester marathon reunion party is it haha.
  • Options

Have been getting up 15 minutes earlier every day this week (my start time at work is 9.30, so don't normally get up until 8am!) in preparation for the early start on Sunday.

Spent my newly gained 90 minutes this morning doing an utterly surreal weekly shop (insofar as Tesco is hilariously deserted at 6.30am) and then with a painful foam roller session. Couple of knots in there which are still aching, but nothing to worry about really.

My music choices feature a tiny bit of dance (mainly what is apparently termed as "progressive house"), but is mainly stuff my dad (ahem) listens to - Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, AC/DC. I also find that Andrew WK's Party Hard becomes absolutely essential in those final few miles (though by the final mile I like to ditch the headphones and properly take in the atmosphere once most of the hard work is over!)

• Options

Am off work today and resting up which means i have lots of time on my hands.  Ive put together a last minute check list for anyone traveling that may have last minute questions.  Everything has been mentioned on previous pages but its moved so fast recently that things are easily missed so I've put everything in one place.

Metrolink

If travelling from Manchester you can catch any trams going to Altrincham, East Didsbury or Manchester Airport.  Get off at the Trafford bar stop.  If you are on an Altrincham bound tram you can either get off at Trafford Bar or Old Trafford.

If travelling up from Altrincham/Timperley/Sale then you can catch any tram.  They all go through Old Trafford where you get off.

For anyone with friends and family coming to watch remember to download/print out the 2 for 1 voucher

Meeting place

If anyone wants a pre-race natter to pass some time and calm some nerves Gary has suggested meeting up outside the elite pacing tent

/members/images/759960/Gallery/race_village.jpg

Tracking

For anyone who hasn’t managed to catch the tracking updates you can sign up them here

Drinks Afterwards

If you are staying for drinks around Old Trafford then the best three pubs are the Bishops Blaize, the Trafford and Sammy Platts. Bishops is your standard weatherspoons, no explanation needed.  The Trafford is good if it’s sunny as it has quite a large outdoor section although it’s not exactly pretty.  Sammy Platts is a big pub and again has a fairly big outdoor area plus it’s a little out of the way so might not be as busy.  Bishops and the Trafford you can’t miss, they are on the last corner of the course.

If you are in one of the media City/lowry hotels the nicest “wine bar” type place is Lime Bar opposite the Lowry theatre.  The best pub is the Dockyard over at media city.  All can be seen on the images below.  I will be in the Bishops so if i see anyone thats there pre race ill come over and say hello.

/members/images/759960/Gallery/lowry.PNG

/members/images/759960/Gallery/Pubs.PNG

So excited now its unreal.  I cannot wait.  Going out for a little plod now round Sale water park now to calm the nerves a little.

The weather is looking perfect, low wind, temperatures around 13 at 1pm and lows of 3 overnight on Saturday so it should be nice and fresh at 9am.  No excuses now, the training has been done, lets go do it!!

• Options

Only stress left is what to wear.  Short sleeves or no sleeves ..

Sorry - what is trance music??

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

sally quick google search gave me this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q6e9GmIe-4

I  just tried it at eleven minutes in...its quite good may look into this for my next venture.

• Options

Good work AM.

I am intending to go to the Elite Pacers to meet you guys. No idea if i will recognise anyone though. I will be with my wife so if you see two lost souls grab me. What time are you guys planning on being at this tent for? I will be around from 7.30am.

Sally Trance music, well erm it is the best music around in my opinion. Have a look at this album on itunes - Godskitchen Pure Trance Classics - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/godskitchen-pure-trance-classics/id352810461  - Anthem and pulverturm are probably my favourite two, sandstorm everyone has heard of i am sure.

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
  • Options

Have done enough of these now to realise the earlier the better, certainly if you want a starting spot that correlates with any sort of exact pace you're aiming for!

• Options

Pete, i am hate being late for anything, i get stressed if i am clock watching. So that is why i get there BEFORE the rush. Driving through traffic, stuck in jams seems to send my stress levels sky high. So i get to where i am going early and then i can leisurely watch the atmosphere build. 

I was same when i used to stand on the Streford End as a kid. Get there when the doors open, buy a drink and pie, sit on the steps and read my programme watching the crowds gradually build up. 

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Great work Animal. Thanks for that.