Sub 3:30 Stevenage Marathon 2 November

Comments

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Where is the sign that says 'dead runner storage?'

• Options
    StopGenocideInGaza wrote (see)
    2wheels wrote (see)

@Stop - The Luton half is the worst organised race that I have ever run. In places so bad that it was actually dangerous. It is the only race I have ever done where I can see no positives

I had read a few positive reviews somewhere- always good to get another perspective though. You say dangerous- was it along a train track? Through Luton town centre? 

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?sp=&v=2&ugn=12957&en=79164

I think i was being quite forgiving in my comments! as to why it was dangerous:

The finish - well who would think outside Weatherspoons in Luton was the sensible place to finish a race? Drinkers and shoppers walking in front of you, bollards in the middle of the finishing straight... An accident waiting to happen. And the coach back to the start going up the narrowest stretch of the entire course which runners were racing along. 

And the traffic on the course was ridiculous. it caused chaos and the stewards just gave up, cars everywhere, at one point there was a truck on a narrow road full of runners. Some car drivers were moving at walking pace, others were treating the roads as fully open and getty arsey at the delays and runners. They could easily have done a partial closer, plenty of roads could have been open one way with runners on the opposite side.I would question the wisdom of closing 13 mile of roads for such a small field.

• Options
    Pottered around 11miles this morning with some friends. A bit stop start, otherwise was a good outing.
  • Options
    Yes. I'm still recovering after injury.

So far

Su:4mi

We:7mi

Fr:7mi

Su:11mi

All easy
  • Options

If you'd have asked me on Friday I'd have said great. Thursday I had a great run, 6 1/2 miles at 10 minute miles, felt very comfortable, cruised up the hills, pulse nice and low and was making a conscious effort to hold back pace and distance. Felt like I could have ran like that forever.

Saturday I'd planned a 10 miler, changed that plan to Sunday as I'd felt like crap on Friday with a bad head all day. Yesterday I struggled from the offset and ended up doing just 6, struggled on the slightest incline and I haven;t actually looked at the data but I was running slower and with a heart rate higher than I'd have expected whenever i glanced at my watch. Had pretty much lost my voice when i got back and feel tired today (sleapt through my alarm which never happens!) so I'm assuming that I've picked up a bug of sorts. With hindsight I should have abandoned the run within a mile or so as it was obvious I wasn't right but I'd hoped to run through it.

• Options

I've been following this with interest as I'm doing my first marathon in October at York.

Before I started training I had unrealistically hoped for a sub 3hr 30 but having had a few injuries over the past few years I've decided to be sensible and aim for somewhere between 3hr 45 and 4 hours.  Enjoying the training so far.

Hope Basher reappears soon

• Options

Still no word on our hero?

Anyway, I spent yesterday feeling like crap but a medicinal curry appears to have done the trick. Don't feel 100% but much nearer to normal. It's weird as I felt fine yesterday other than random aches and totally shattered.

I actually put my entry in at the weekend along with the Ealing Half in September and trying to deicde on whether to run Brixton and/or Hyde Park 10km at the end of the month.

On a plus point the festival I was supposed to be at next weekend is cancelled. And while I'm gutted I no longer have to consider the training impact of 5 nights of sex drugs and rock n roll!

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Yesterday was yasso 800s followed by 30mins at goal pace

5mi easy today. 

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Basher,  if you are in fact reading this injured.. get well soon.

http://www.footballkitnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Stevenage-Jersey.jpg

• Options
    First long run for a while on Sunday: 16miles at 70% max HR 10:48/mi.

The official route is now on the FVS website. Plan on running the first half on Sat AM.

Wonder what happened to Basher.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Have eased back a bit for a week or two- summer hols. Still I managed a decent goal pace run today. 

• Options
    Quite probably. Looking at 9:30/mi though.
  • Options

Apologies for going awol, I found this thread more stressful than the actual running so thought it might be best to just ignore it.  Thanks for all the goodwill messages either way.

Running was going well up to the 6 week mark then I had 4 weeks with just 4 runs(Shoreham 10k, 2 x 10 milers and a 16 miler).  Various reasons – walking the south down’s way, loads of overtime, family gatherings and not a little drinking.  Anyway onwards and upswards.  Am back on it now and have had a good week.  10 miles/77 mins on Thursday and 20 miles in 3 hours yesterday(very steady was still doing 9 minute miles at the end, if you take out all the drinks breaks then I was averaging 8:45.  This all bodes well for a sub4 hour marathon but…… I am getting blisters.  I have done 67 miles in 8 days.  Legs feel good, no joint trouble, just a friction rash at the top of my thighs that will hopefully be good by tomorrow after today’s rest day.  But the blisters, were only minor until yesterday.  Could feel them immediately (mainly on right instep) and was going to stop after 3 miles but everything else felt so good and I was enjoying the run so just ploughed on.  Looked at my right instep and there is a big bloody red bubble blister, unburst.  Don’t think this will recover without a week’s rest.  But I don’t want to rest it, feel on fire at the moment and looking forward to a hard 9 mile interval session tomorrow.  Should I burst it and hope it calluses over all tough.  It is a real pain as it isn’t a proper injury just a nuisance.  Funny thing is I bought these fancy running socks for 10quid which I make a point of wearing for my important runs.  But I’m not sure that it isn’t these socks that are the problem.  I used to just wear my black (5 pairs for a fiver from tescos) work socks and I am sure they don’t give me blisters.

Hope you’re all well.

Basher

• Options

Compeed blister plasters.

• Options

Shall visit tescos at lunch in search of Compeed.  Thanks literatin.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

If you burst it, you need to know what you are doing re avoiding infection. If its painful enough to stop you running you can keep your aerobics going with light cycling/spinning  just so you dont lose fitness.

• Options

I am hobbling around a bit today but reckon if I run on it I won't feel it much, strange like that.  My worry is that if I run on it it will get worse and then eventually it will stop me running.  Yesterday was all well and good, but I don't want to start this Sunday's 20 miler with a blister again.  If you leave it and run on it does it callus over or just get a bigger bubble.

• Options

Just looking at that course it seems like the underpasses are quite level because the roads/roundabouts are at a higher level anyway.  Can anyone from stevenage confirm this is the case or not.  I was imagining going up and down lots and lots of times that could be real knackering by the end.