Options

Sub 3:30 Stevenage Marathon 2 November

Comments

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I double checked those figured. I think my max is 185 and my 8:50 HR is 155 so that is around 83%. Although my max may be a bit light there. I can't believe I was running all my easy runs as threshold runs. My threshold pace is 8:00/mi.

5k 23:04

10k hilly trail (supposedly a +2min course) 50:10

Half 1:48:XX

No real proper time for Marathon as I was shot by halfway running 30-40secs slower than HM pace. Bad race. Although I managed a 4:35 two years ago on a hilly trail marathon in torrential rain.
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you're not mixing max with WHR?
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Tim, how did you work out your max heart rate?
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Ok. It could possibly be 195 as I had it up there a few times at the end of some brutal races, but then lost a bit of confidence with my HR monitor and whether that was accurate.

My peak rate recently was 5mins into the start of that 1:48 half where it rose extremely quickly to 197 then settled around 170-175 but I don't remember feeling particularly bad at that point in the race. The run averaged 172.

Probably time to reassess. It's amazing how quickly you forget about all these basic things getting drawn into theoretical paces and intervals etc.

Cheers.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    NetanyahuTheWarCriminal wrote (see)
    Interesting- a HM trial at 80-83%... That could just work batman! I'm working towards this at the miment(well the 10m test anyway).

I guess I wasn't clear enough. One way to decide your target marathon pace is to do a HM, double it, add 20 mins or so and make that your target time. 

Another way to gauge your marathon target pace/time (without doing a HM race or time trial) is to look at your hadd test (assuming you are following that training regime or something similar) and see where your 83%maxHR pace comes in. in fact I think hadd himself puts your best possible marathon at closer to 87%maxHR. However hadd is even more aggressive about pace loss as distance rises than the mcmillan calculator so and nobody here seems well trained enough aerobic ally to apply it that strictly.  

Fir example, my max hr is 183 and I'd run a 10k at about 4:45/km (83%max or 153bpm). Running a low 1:30s HM would give me the same marathon target time- low 3:20s

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I like comparing both methods because (I think) your 83ish% pace is a closer simulation of what your marathon effort will be like and one you can hit and test during training with less risk. The all out HMpb you'd do in that tune up race is an effort you can't afford to try too often.  I think it's good to do it, but I'd see it as just confirming something I'm already fairly sure of. 

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Am planning my 10m or half mara for Sunday am.  Dnt have a GPS, what is the best and most reliable web site for mapping a run?  always used gmaps pedometer but some of mile markers surely werent right last week, 8 min mile followed by 10 min mile, defo made me doubt its reliability.

• Options

So without a GPS how are you measuring your pace/distance?

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Gmaps pedometer

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Did it again with map my run and got the same distance for last week's 12 miler.  Guess they are all based on google maps.  Have marked down every km marker via landmarks and will try and pace myself by them., might do the test run tomorrow am as got to work all weekend.  Playing squash at 10:20, so could fit a ten mile time trial in before.  Then play squash knackered.

• Options

Is anyone else wondering how Sunday morning went?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Yep, more interested in this than the Commonwealth Games.
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I'm confused at what distance he is actually running. Maybe if he's measured 10miles on mapmyrun and calling it a 12mile run he might be getting 8:00/mi mixed up with what is actually 9:40/mi.

That could be embarrassing.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Millsy wrote (see)
    Yep, more interested in this than the Commonwealth Games.

This could be the next steve way

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Struck by lightning on his way to the squash match?
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

#PrayForBasher

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    When I suggested he may burn himself out I wasn't expecting it to be this soon.
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    It always ends like this...

Anyway. I'm pain free and managed 4miles at 11:00/mi average HR 140 71%max? on Sunday morning so I've drawn up a 15/16week plan. I hope to be gently increasing mileage to 13 over the next two weeks.
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Sub 4:00. Bring it on!
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    It was just a tester. I'm returning from a complete three week rest after a minor injury and possible overtraining. I did a 23:05 5K three weeks after London. So that pace is within 160%.

I've not read Hadd but I'm going to look at my LSR pace. Which I think is usually 9:20:mi, 150bpm or 75%max.

I'm thinking of joining a club to get an independent look at what I'm doing because my ideas seem to jump around all over the place.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Yes I think the hadd document applies to well trained runners whose 5k, 10mi HM m and easy paces are much closer together and well linked to each other than most enthusiasTs or beginners. So some extra caution is needed If you are a man running north of three hours for a marathon, say. The ideas are sound, but some of the numbers are not. 

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I do have a sweet tooth I must admit.