Options

Great Welsh Marathon

124»

Comments

• Options

Hi Malcs, sorry I didn't pop over for a chat at the finish line, was on a bit of a high and couldnt concentrate! Over the moon with 3hr 43m as my first marathon! How did you get on?

• Options

chris... i did try shouting for you .unless there was another guy in a red and black fullers pride top......we were at mile 2 and a half.......in a white campervan  image

• Options
    Ah no worries, it was probably me but in a world of my own as usual!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hope you fast guys achieved your targets.  I was looking for 3:50 but in the end settled for 3:55 - couldn't quite manage to keep the pace up right to the end.  Might be something to do with running a 50-miler only a fortnight ago ...

Lovely day for it.  Brilliant finisher's medal, I thought. Very heavy!

• Options
    We stood at mile 25 watching you guys finish. Great going all on quite a hot day.

Well done.
  • Options
    What a great day and brilliant support it was my first marathon and I came in at 3:03 was really chuffed with that???? I'd like to thank anthony culinane who finished infront of me for helping me through, and Malcolm Barbour for his kind words at the end????????
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I've run this race 3 times now. My first time I did 4:02. Two year's ago I did 3:32. Yesterday I did 3:04. Can't quite believe it. At 20 miles I even thought sub 3 might have been possible but at 21 miles the legs told me to f*** offimage

seren - thanks so much, your support was just awesome. I can't believe it took me to the 4th time of passing to realise who you were! image

Sorry I didn't see you at the end. I sat down and couldn't get back up for 40 minutes. Both calf muscles were cramping horribly with even the smallest movement.

Chris - no problem at all, as I just mentioned, I was incapable of movement or I would have come across myself. Very well done, that's an amazing time for a first marathon!

T Rex - I'm sure I saw you coming the other way on one of the turn backs but I wasn't sure if it was you and by the time I'd managed to work out it probably was it was too late image I only have that small glimpse of you from 2013 to go on though so I may well have been mistaken image

Agree, the medal was excellent!

Can't believe you can do a 50 miler and then run a marathon in such a great time two weeks after. Is that your 99th now?

Running Kev - was that you guys with the cow bell (or something like it)? The support there was so, so welcome! Many thanks indeed!

Go Joe - could well have been me Joe. I finished just after you. I think I passed you two at around the 20 mile mark when I foolishly thought I could chase down sub 3 image

You both finished really strongly. When you passed me at about 24.5 miles I was hoping to stay with you but you were far too fast for me! Very well done again! Did you say that was your first marathon? Quite an amazing result!

Runner Jonnie - tried looking out for you but didn't see you. How did it go?

• Options
    Hi Kevin, soz for getting your name wrong. Yeh it was my first marathon done 2 halfs prior to this, I really enjoyed the race and was so impressed by the encouragement I was getting from all you fellow runner. I'm sure you will break sub 3hrs kev thought you looked really strong when you passed us.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol - don't worry you didn't get my name wrong....but you have now image I'll let you off though. Let's put it down to post race euphoria image

It's a very strange beast the marathon. That's my 10th and it never ceases to amaze me how things can turn so quickly. You can feel great at mile 20 and totally destroyed just a mile later.

I do believe sub 3 is within reach now. I'm doing York in October when hopefully the weather will be more to my liking! 

I hope you're going to do another one. There is absolutely no doubt sub 3 is there for you too after that debut!

You have GFA now for London as well - gotta be tempted!  

• Options
    I thought exactly the same as u MALCS lol!!! At 23miles I felt fresh and was going to push for sub3 but when I tried there was nothing left!!!! Surely with that run yest you must have confidence of sub 3 in York . I think I will have to give London a go now if I have def got gfa??
  • Options
    Hi guys, what a great day. I was aiming for sub 3:30 and came in at 3:29:03 so I over the moon with that for my first marathon.

Chris - I parked next to you, I remember seeing your top and fancying a pint!!!

Really liked the medal, great crowd support and I was surprised that when I applauded the winner when he passed me at about mile 20 when I was at 13 that he greeted me with a thumbs up. I sometimes find some of the faster athletes snobby but I thought that summed up the camaraderie on the day.

Apart from the great medal I didn't think much of the goody bag - some basics apple juice and crisps and a fake mars bar from aldi!

Great event though, really enjoyed it!!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Malcs - no , this one was #98.  #99 will be this Sunday at Stratford-on-Avon.  I'm afraid my racing and training schedules are not text book.  I mainly do ultras (and very little training ...)

I'm impressed with all these fast debut times.  It's normally considered you're getting somewhere near your potential on your sixth marathon.  Up to this there are big improvements and afterwards you're just knocking minutes off.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Btw are the results up anywhere?  Race website seems out of date.

• Options
    There's a link to the results on their fb page: https://m.facebook.com/Human.Being.Active
  • Options

The website is a bit crap....they were talking about a relaunch for next year.....I hope its the same course and time as I have asleady decided that next spring aim is for a gfs attempt there....after this years slow ultra running it will be good to do some shorter faster running...

• Options
    Legs are finally feeling ok!!!! Does anyone know if there's any photos on website from the day? Can't seem to find them. Bit disappointed we didn't get a tshirt on the day was gutted my first marathon but no tshirt lol!!! But great day at 23/24 miles I thought I'm never doing this again, but can't wait for next one now!!!!
  • Options
    Found them cheers AlanP
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Go joe - that's quite a common thought to have at mile 23/24 and not just in your first marathon!!

Thanks for link, Rob B

• Options

Hiya, I'm thinking of signing up for this next year.  The only problem is, I'm in the ballot for a London place the week after.  Would it be safe to wait until October before signing up or is it likely to be full by then?  If I did sign up and end up with a London place would I be able to defer this one until the following year? 

• Options
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
  • Options

once again they talked abut changes for next year....no info on website yet