Options

Ironman Uk 2015 who's in?

Comments

• Options
    IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

Just picked this up over on a *cough* different forum (Tritalk) from someone in the know giving a summary:

Swim - relatively simple, easy to sight 2 lapper. No visibility in the water, but the rolling start should reduce punch ups.

Bike - some rolling stretches, some fast stretches, 2 biggish climbs per lap. Sheephouse is the biggest, broken into sections and not that steep, great atmosphere on race day. Hunter's is steadier, no breaks but not that long. Generally road surfaces pretty ropey, and course is twisty, lots of turns so not
    easy to ride that quick.

Run - point to point is flattish, except for a sharp rise just where you join the main out and back. Out and back done 3 times is flat through town, then a sharp little rise, before a couple of miles of draggy up to the turn. Obvs opposite on the way back.

• Options

Hopefully going on Saturday for a full bike recce and (another) run recce. Will let you guys know my thoughts after the weekend.

Only 18 days to go image

• Options
    IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

Golden - where abouts do you live?  I was tempted to go up this weekend as well, but I live in the middle of Surrey so it's going to take a good chunk of other training time away so thinking I might just have the surprise on the day image  Have been trying to do new routes in my training to get used to riding on unknown roads, will have the garmin map on so will be able to see where sharp corners etc are and am heading up there on the Thursday beforehand so plan on driving a lap again just to note where any particularly tricky sections are.

How is everyone's training going though?  Swimming I've been doing 4km or over at least once a week so I'm slow but comfy with the swim.  I did 120miles with 2,300m of climbing last weekend as my biggest ride & doing 100miles with 2,0000m of climbing this weekend, so happy with the bike (I've discovered peanut butter & nutella sandwiches - they are brilliant!!!).

The run however will be a case of see what happens!!  It's all been a bit disrupted due to my knee playing up a couple of times & while (touch wood!) it's been ok for the last 6 weeks, I have no idea what it's going to do on the day image  Also means the max I've run is 14.1miles last week & have to say the last few miles of that I was absolutely hanging & there was no way I could have gone for another 12.1.  But going to try for 16-17miles this week but taking a run-walk strategy right from the start so will see how that goes / feels.  But either way I suspect there will be a reasonable amount of walking from me, but every step forward is a step towards the finish!!

• Options

hey guys, long time no speak,,,,soz i've not been around...i travel loads with my job now so thats taken over a bit...sounds like you all know what you are doing tho.....training for me has gone ok...i did 2 laps on friday last week....swam 2k at the flash monday and my running is going ok.

shas...too late for a 16 mile run...forget that it wont do you any good now...go out on your bike again instead.

the key to this race is finishing the bike in a decent state...its no good being able to run 16 miles if you cant walk when you get to T2

the run will be whatever it is on the day so dont fret....take the last couple of weeks to ride smooth and strong...chuck in a bit of running (i wont do any more than 10k) and a bit of swimming and you will be ok.....its now time to throttle back...you've done the hard miles now....any more wont do you any good.

see you in 2 weeks or so

• Options
    I went up sheep house a few weeks ago. It's not that bad. I've been training g on much worse climbs in the high peaks. I feel a bit more confident now. Taper time only 3 weeks to go!
  • Options
    Golden Boots wrote (see)

Hopefully going on Saturday for a full bike recce and (another) run recce. Will let you guys know my thoughts after the weekend.

Only 18 days to go image

GB did you get out today

i will be doing some of the run course tomorrow morning

2 weeks and counting 

• Options

Well 15 mile run this morning and half the run course done

I was plodding along the canal path then came to the turn off which takes you up to Chorley New Road to start the laps, went up the hill to the bridge that crosses the railway line and it was closed, they are doing repairs on it.

So had to turn back and back on the canal path but carried on into town and picked up the route again.
    Nice run but for the next 2 weeks will be on shorter runs just keeping the legs going.

• Options

It's still closed? That was closed when I went or a run recce back in April

UNfortunately didn't get up this weekend. My friend (and driver) was unable to go and it was too expensive to get a train at the last minute. Looks like I will also be driving the day before

• Options

We should be out on the bike shouting abuse, we have a nice little spot that is very quiet so you will know its us

• Options
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

We should be out on the bike shouting abuse, we have a nice little spot that is very quiet so you will know its us

Usual place SA

Cant wait, you will defo know where they are image

• Options

Right numbers are out
    Lets get a list

Crooky - 1581

• Options

I'm out unforutunately... put in my withdrawal this morningimage

Knee pain as a result of the earlier torn calf and would only make it worse. Gutted

• Options

Gutted for you GB but prob the best thing to do

• Options
    IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

Golden - gutted for you image  I know it's absolutely no comfort now but better to be sensible now and come back fitter & stronger next time, but I really do feel for you.

• Options
    IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

Number 310 for me

• Options

Crooky - 1581
    Shas - 310
    Stanners - 1169

• Options
    Sad for you Golden. Always another time.

Please add me to the list ???? 1786
  • Options

Crooky - 1581
    Shas - 310
    Stanners - 1169
    Red Dog Chris - 1786

• Options

Good luck to everyone who is racing, sadly I'm out of this due to an on-going Achilles issue. Hope everyone has a great race and will be tracking online.

• Options
    Sorry to hear it uncharted

It very sad for the people who are out

This looks like a small ship sailing
  • Options
    Sad news unchartered. Only 4 of us?
  • Options

Crooky - 1581
    Shas - 310
    Stanners - 1169
    Red Dog Chris - 1786
    Andyb99 1767

for the first time i'll be racing in pirate colours too so you should see me

sorry for those who havent made it....next year is not so far away

• Options

A small but perfectly formed scouting party of PIrates setting sail in 8 days then.

I'm heading up there Friday morning, will swim at the Flash and then register before heading in to Bolton and booking in to the Travel Lodge. Saturday my plan is to swim and then rack before heading back to the town centre and watching the Iron Kids.

What's everybody else's plans, and anyone fancy grabbing something to eat on Friday night? Otherwise it's table for one at Pizza Express...again image

• Options
    I'm travelling up on Friday. Booking into premier inn. Register and rack on Saturday. I'm up for something to eat on Friday night.
  • Options

Running Dad 1610... Which might also be my finish time!

Crooky - 1581

Shas - 310
    Stanners - 1169
    Red Dog Chris - 1786
    Andyb99 1767

• Options
    Should we all arrange to meet up on Friday or Saturday?
  • Options

Definitely up for it on Friday night. Nice to grab something to eat and share worries image with a fellow Pirate