Options

Ironman Uk 2015 who's in?

Comments

• Options
    Mrs D, are you going to provide the same service for Outlaw, I'm thinking its going to be none stop with 12 individuals and 3/4 relay teams taking part ????
  • Options

Razor I think at last count there's 22 pirates in for the solo !

• Options

Any race reports yet guys?

You know the rules, you haven't finished till the race report is done

• Options

No reports yet SA

apart from to say what a hard day it was with the wind and what excellent support your pirate posse give us

cheers to everybody that was there 

• Options

well done all.now where are the reports  image

• Options

hello...people...i'd love to do a race report but i'm too tired...as you might know mrsB was racing too yesterday..i was a few minutes ahead in the swim...few more after the bike and she caught me up about 10 miles into the run...then...to my delight we finished it together...it was amazing.

it was a really tough day out there....made so amazingingly better by wearing a pirate top...i've never ever known support like it just because i had that shirt on...i wont race without it again and i thank you all.

we are now chorleys answer to steven and bella bayliss....only a bit slower

Thanks

• Options

Yeah Booo 21 a bit of finger trouble on my phone. image

• Options

Not the most regular poster - but a short brief from me?..

The rain first thing made for a soggy start, and a relief to eventually get in the water. The rolling start certainly eased any biff but I did miss that mass start experience - that said it is much safer so I don't see them doing anything else now. I seeded at 1hr 20 and seemed to be well placed so it worked for me. Sighting was off and on loop 2 the rain made sighting almost impossible- glad to be in the water and not on the bike! out in 1hr 20 so bang on.

i put on a waterproof and glad I did because although the rain then mostly held off it felt v cold to me with a strong wind. I'd warmed by the first climb and took the jacket off, but then felt cold for the next few hours (should have taken the time to put on my arm warmers that I left at T1). The bike went well (for me) and some great support in places, I certainly felt strong all the way to the end - at Wales last year I found the last 20miles a real slog so pleased that I paced it well and training has worked this year. It was certainly windy which made some stretches hard work - even going down hill! It's a great course, I did see quite a few punctures, breakdowns and folk at the side who must have come off so hope they all managed to get round safely in the end. 7hr 10 which isn't fast by any stretch, but I was happy!

run - having had some heal problems my run training has not been the best and I'd only been able to build to a 13 mile run in training; it was never going to be great! knowing I was going to struggle I planned a run/walk and set off walking 1min every 10. It went really well until the 1/2 way mark, and by the. My feet were sore, my knees hurt and I was just simply knackered! I did try to keep shuffling, running on the level and down/walking any incline, but loop 2 and 3 were more walk than run. 5hr + for at total time of 1435. 

While not my best time by some margin, it's the race I had to dig deepest to finish and suffered the most for - and for that perhaps my best effort (in a weird sort of way?) anyhow it was a good race and a tough course, but one I'd recommend. Well done to all those who raced and those who supported, we would never make it without the help of so many.

RD

• Options
    IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

Will write up report tomorrow, but for now the change in handle & the smile at the end of this sentence shall suffice image

• Options

I was up supporting the on the weekend and what a great event and really inspiring

I had a megaphone which made cheering a whole lot easier.

• Options

Hello all,

First time post, just wanted to put my thoughts on Ironman UK on Sunday.

It was my first time taking part in an Iron distance race. Was really nervous at the start taking the slow walk to the lake. 

Really liked the rolling start, although being over enthusiastic jumped in the water and boshed my shin on a rock at the bottom of the lake!

Enjoyed the swim despite the heavy rain and managed the swim in 1:15 so was very pleased.

Glad the rain held off for the bike. Loved Sheephouse and Hunters Hill and especially the corner where all the COLT supporters were stood as there shouts and cheers really spurred me on. I looked forward to passing them each time. Bike done in 6:30.

Run was tough. Got bad stitch and stomach cramps early on and then feet and legs were very sore for the last 10 miles, but still managed the run in 4:30.

Overall time of 12:41:13. Absolutely delighted with my time and loved every second of the day.

The support at the event was amazing and am so thankful for everyone that shouted my name and cheered everyone on.

• Options

Race report will be out tonight...watch this space!

• Options

I was marshalling, I saw the Pirates into T2 and really happy they all made it across the finishing line, superb effort

• Options

Well done Ironshaz, you have laid your ghosts to rest,a great effort.

• Options

Race report.

Got to Pennington Flash about 5.20. Pissing it down with rain and chilly. Swim was really enjoyable. Loved the rolling start, no punching or kicking. Still pissed it down all through the swim completed in 1:18. I was disappointed with this time, I’m usually 1.10. I did veer quite wide and had to swim across, so this obviously impacted on my time.

T1 like a sauna, sweaty people and cold room perhaps?

Bike. Decided not to wear the waterproof even though it was still pissing down, windy and quite cold. I’m quite glad as during the cycle it got quite hot at times. Road surfaces were shocking. Shoulders still aching now from riding the vibrations of the road. Lap one seemed to last forever, Sheep house lane was not a problem, I’d ridden it on a recce and knew what to expect so paced it well. Some other hills and flats followed. Then Hunter’s Hill which I found much worse than any other hill. I wasn’t expecting it and a few others weren’t either. My conversation with a few other cyclists as we rode up.

“Did you know this was coming?”

“No mate, what about you?”

“No, what a bitch.”

Crooky whizzed past me on the first lap. I seemed to have overtaken him after an aid stop, then he whizzed past me again.

Great pirate support near the end of the first lap. SA thanks!!!

Finally got to the end of the first lap, slowest ever average I’ve cycled 14.8 mph

Lap 2 was not so bad but hills were kicking in to make the legs sore for the run.

After what seemed like an eternity I made it to T2. Bike time 7.38

T2 in and out.

Run. First 13 miles were steady 9.30 mile mins. Saw Stanners the rapid on the run he was suffering a bit but still miles ahead of me. He reminded me to collect my bands. I thought I only needed 2 but I actually needed 3, Gits!

Saw Kidney and crooky again. Brill support from the entire crowd who seemed to love us pirates! Colt support was superb too.

Cramp set in after 13 miles, I suffer with this and had been loading with salt, electrolyte, maybe the damp and cold in the morning had an effect but it would not budge so ended up walk running.

Marathon finished in 5 hours.  Total time 14.18. I was so glad to finish, it was tough, and I’m never doing hills like that again lol.

Overall. I had a good experience, it was my first M dot although not my first iron distance. Definitely the toughest- although I hear Wales is tougher- I’ll give that one a miss until I’m either drunk or stupid enough to press the register button!

• Options

Great reports guys - keep 'em coming!

• Options
    IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

Hmm written my report but it's a little on the long side....will try & taper it down a bit before posting!!

• Options

OK, thought I best get this done before I destroy the memory with copious amounts of wine and donuts!

Race Build Up

Training had gone reasonably well. I'd followed Don Fink's competitive plan from December to March, but a GBR qualification in Duathlon mean't I had to switch it a little, then never really picked it back up in detail. I still followed it loosely but racing every weekend in May also mean't I had to be a little creative. A 5h dead at the Outlaw Half had been a good boost to my confidence so I was in a good place.

I got to Bolton on the Friday morning. Registration was simple enough but my god the Expo was poor. There was some karma in that a lot of the over priced merchandise had been priced up wrong...and really cheap. Some people were filling their boots...literally! Final bike check, and over to Pennington Flash for a practice swim. It was really windy and choppy but did a couple of laps...and really hoped it would die down before the race day.

Saturday was spent with another choppy practice swim, racking, meeting Shas and laughing at Red Dog Chris' lack of sense of direction. We grabbed lunch together and then it was back to the hotel (separately...nothing like that) to get off my feet. Didn’t feel the need to go to briefing. Slept reasonably well and before I knew it the alarm went off at 02:30.

Race Morning

Thankfully the wind had died a little, but the rain had arrived in spades! It was torrential!!!! There was not much in the way of facilities so I managed to grab a spare bike cover and create my own little poncho to get ready for the swim. Come 6am, it was time for off!

• Options

The Swim

The first rolling start for an Ironman in the UK apparently. I put myself in the 1:10 group, knowing that I’d been comfortably swimming between 1:03 and 1:08 in training. I must admit, I’m not a fan of the rolling start. I think the lack of option to get in the water and acclimatise is counter intuitive. There was still some biff-age in the water so all in all I think I’d prefer the mass start.

Lap one done in 38 minutes…hmmm? I had no sighting issues and was holding a good stroke rate. Lap two in 37 minutes giving me a 1:15. What the hell? On checking, I clocked the distance at a couple of meters short of 4.5km, nearly 700m extra. Most people I’d spoke to had the same. So, some time to make up! 

T1 

No big issues, other than the field had turned in to a bog and there was lots of standing water with the rain still lashing down

The Bike

I’d rode the loop in training and was comfortable with it so had a target time of 6 hours. Before getting to the loop there is a long steady climb. Good to see Horse marshaling, the weather was that bad I felt sorry for him!

I was making good progress, averaging 30kmph to the first big climb at Sheephouse Lane. At the foot of the hill there was a loud bang, a very familiar sound for me given my puncture problems this year. Jumped off to check the wheels and they were fine. Very odd! Back on I was off. My legs felt good and I was confident. I’d noticed A LOT of people with punctures and mechanicals and was just thinking, “Please not me…please not me”. Well, at 60km, it was. Oh Crap Moment #1. A slow puncture in my front wheel! I pulled over to change it and focused on getting the repair right, trying not to think about all the people coming past me that I’d over taken in the last hour or so. Once I’d repaired the puncture I was off and on a mission. I felt strong and thought right, head down and make this time up. The highlight of the course was Colt Alley where there was some great support, but Sheephouse was also brilliant. The rest of lap one and most of lap two flew by. It was great to see Q, Jo, Jordy and Lou giving some great Pirate support.

Oh Crap Moment #2.I was so focused on making up my lost time I missed picking up nutrition after about 5 hours, having dropped the banana I was trying to grab. Bugger!!! That’ meant no nutrition until T2!

A first for me. I had some words with a bloke from Rochdale Tri who was drafting another competitor when I passed. He latched on to my back wheel until I told him politely to do one! 

The home stretch, through Colt Alley for the third time and I hit a god almighty pothole, and I mean REALLY clattered it! Oh Crap Moment #3. I knew what was coming. That familiar sound from the back wheel. I couldn’t believe it, there was only about 10km to go. Unfortunately the tire had ripped too, so it was a real patch and hope job and a case of nursing the bike home over the last 20 minutes.

I eventually rolled over the line in 6h 15m. I was fuming with myself. Not so much about the punctures, but the missed nutrition was playing on my mind.

• Options

T2

Seeing the family really helped in T2, there were not many bikes racked so despite the time thought I was doing OK. A bit disappointed that for £400 we had to rack our own bikes! So, after a quick change I was off on the run. 

The Run

I felt good on the run. The course was hillier than expected, but nothing too bad. Once up on the 3 lap loop, the support was great. A real buzz around Bolton Town Centre couldn’t fail to put a smile on your face. I went through 21k in 1:45, ahead of target, feeling fine and hopes on making up more lost time was feeling achievable.

Then, my over exuberance on the bike and missed nutrition came back to bit me on the backside. At 24k it was if someone had given me a grand piano to carry!

My form went out of the window and an old patella tendon injury in my left knee flared up. The next 10k were EXCRUCIATING. Only once I’d got back in to the town centre and managed to procure some painkillers was I able to start running again. Using the cones that marked the course. I went from run 1, walk 1 to, run 3, walk 1 and eventually up to run 9, walk 1. The run walk strategy was helping and I managed to start making some places back up, but nowhere near quick enough.

The encouragement from Crookie, Red Dog and even a man hug from Holgs was great and helped get me over the line in 4h 6m and a total time of 11h 51m, a full 51m behind my target time!

Post Race Reflection 

So I didn’t have the day I wanted, some of it down to bad luck, but most of it down to not reacting in the right way when things change. But as lots of people have pointed out, I need to expect this in a 12-hour race.

In hindsight, there were some positives.

• I swam a PB and averaged 3.5kmph. That is a massive improvement from the Outlaw in 2013 when I averaged 2.9kmph.
    • My moving time on the bike was 5h 51m, take out the punctures and that puts me 15th in the AG (up with the shaved leg brigade)
    • My run was 25 minutes quicker than the Outlaw.
    • I came 253rd, just outside the top 10%

So, I still think there is a sub 11 in my legs somewhere. The question is where, and when?

• Options

Great report Stanners

Like other people have told you its very rare to have a perfect race, when it does happen I truly believe you will go massively under 11 hours

• Options

Great report Stanners, I also think you'll smash 11 hours in the future. What did you do to patch the rip in the tyre? I've just gone into panic mode thinking what would I do if that happended at outlaw.....

• Options

You could save a gel wrapper to use inside a ripped tyre to get you round. If you have got an old tyre at home cut a little strip off it to use as a temporary fix.

• Options

I had a £10 note that seemed to do the job. Absolute saver!

• Options

I carry a U.S. Dollar just in case 

• Options
    Razor51 wrote (see)

You could save a gel wrapper to use inside a ripped tyre to get you round. If you have got an old tyre at home cut a little strip off it to use as a temporary fix.

That my friend, is genius!

• Options
    IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

Ok tried to make race report a little shorter but not sure I've managed it!  Sorry it's taken so long - ended up being hit with the worst bout I have ever had of, well, let's just say I spent a lot of time on the toilet last week, so really haven't been too well!  But thankfully all good now.  Ok posting in sections as it's too long....

Build-up

Training had been a bit disrupted due to my temperamental knee playing up a few times, but it did all start to come together in the last few weeks and I knew I was going to be fine for the swim (as while I’m slow, I’d been doing over the distance at least once a week for a while) and the bike (as I had done numerous rides over 80/90mi, a few over 100 and one of 120 and had been hitting lots of hills), then the run was just going to be what it was going to be!

It was a bit of a panicked week leading up to IM as I spent everyday at the mechanics due to an issue with my bike, but finally got it all sorted.  Once I got up there late Thursday evening, Friday and Saturday was registration, spot of shopping (but none of it was to be worn until afterwards so as not to jinx myself!), drive the bike course, sort bags, drop things off, briefing, pasta party etc.

Met up with a guy from my tri club (S) and his wife (M) a few times, and as it was S’s birthday on IM day we had a celebratory bulk-up lunch Saturday.  Managed to stick one of my race tattoo’s on upside down so had to decide what looked less silly – leaving it on upside down or only having it on 1 arm!  Went with the latter so then had to scrub my arm silly to get it off (in hindsight I should have left it on & said it was because I was from down under!)

• Options
    IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

Swim

Up at 2.30am for shower & breakfast, screw my face up at the pouring rain & wish I'd brought something waterproof, then off to the bus for the trip to the lake. The usual faffing in transition before it was time to get into the wetsuit & line ourselves up in our predicted swim times. Heard the national anthem from afar & the pro's were off & the line started moving & off we went! By that point we were all dripping wet anyway but it was actually warmer in the water than out, and just standing doing nothing for so long had really build the nerves so it was a relief to finally get in the water and just start the day and get going!

This year they introduced a rolling start, which I’ve not done the mass start before but enjoyed the rolling start as I pretty much had clear water from the start. Still got a few biffs in the head but kept my goggles & found the odd body to draft off, so was happy with that (oh and I made it out which is always the main goal!). There were a few times when the rain came down so heavily & sideways that when I turned to breathe I got a mouthful of water & was like "hang on, I need air at this point not more water!".

But before I knew it the first lap was over, then the second. The beauty of being a slow swimmer in this instance was that the rain stopped just before I got out of the water, so unlike the speedy swimmers who got absolutely soaked on the bike, I remained lovely & dry on the bike!  But it was out of the water, through the muddy & water-logged quagmire that was now t1, into the tent & complete change, lots of faffing & making sure everything was as dry as possible, then eventually back out into the mud for a very slippery walk to the bike, a bit more faffing & off I went!

• Options
    IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

Bike

The roads were still very wet and slippery to start with so I took it a bit easier, but the first section is fairly straight forward and before I knew it I was at the first major climb, Sheep House Lane. Having driven it Friday I knew it was long & ramped up in sections so knew to pace myself, so put it in an easy gear & just spun my way up it, and actually found it much easier than I thought it would be.  I was flying past loads of people, which had me wondering whether I was pushing too hard but my HR was still well within zone 2 & I didn't feel like I was pushing unduly hard, so carried on and figured it was just all the hill training paying off!

The descent I took easier because it was wet, but then after that there were a few sections where you could get your head down, although there was a long section where you were completely exposed to the ever increasing winds, a few more small climbs, then the second rated climb of the ride, Turners Hill.  It felt ok that time around but I knew it was going to hurt next time around as it’s close to the end of the ride.

But that meant the end of lap 1 and time to do it all again starting from Sheep House, which hurt a little bit more but again just controlled my pace up it appropriately.  By this time the roads had dried out and I had a better idea of the course and corners etc so could relax a bit more, but the winds had really started to pick up and at times I was literally blown 1 metre sideways and there were a few choice words in there as I fought to keep control!

The legs were starting to hurt with about 20-30mi to go, and I knew Turners was still to come, but remembered back to training rides where I'd done White Down with 95mi & lots more climbing in my legs so kept telling myself that I've done worse & that I can do this (it also helped someone was holding a "shut up legs" sign on Turners which made me chuckle!).

The crowds at times were amazing, almost Tour de France like packed in either side of you and I had great fun cheering at them & joining in with the fun, which meant you got massive cheers & support back again, which really helped lift the spirits and especially towards the end forget about the pain in your legs.