Options

Tell me it gets easier!

Comments

• Options
    Hi everyone,

Just recovering from my first ever 'run' outside and also another first for me going outside without straightening my hair or putting on my make up downloaded the c25k app ???? it was so hard and I never thought that I was sooo unfit, you see all those joggers who look healthy and slightly flushed but my face looked like a big red strawberry ???? please tell me that it gets easier x
  • Options

welcome daisydaisy2 well done for starting c25k plan most of us on here have done or are currently doing it also, i'm on wk 4 & believe me if i can get this far so can you it is really hard at the start but if you follow the plan it does get easier don't overdo it & remember rest days they are so important keep it up & post your progress here you'll get bags of advice & motivation good luck

• Options

Well I dragged myself out. Not going to lie, it was tough, I think I might have a cold or something coming, but worth it in the end!

Thanks all.

• Options
    Thanks hoopybhoy image I'm really looking forward to the day when I can run for 60 seconds without feeling like I'm going to die. Is it best to run every other day?
  • Options

Just been out for my first run too. Was a lot tougher than I thought. Feel great now though.

• Options

Cool. More newcomers. Yes it gets easier, it's always tough but you get stronger and at the start you get better very quickly. Keep it going and keep us updated of your progress. 

• Options
    Fragile - running is never fun until your finished unless your a sadist.

Must admit I did enjoy track sprint repetitions last night lol although it did make me ill at time lol
  • Options

Welcome Big Phil Ork and Daisydaisy2, congrats on getting started!  Just want to say it definitely gets easier even after a few weeks - just over four weeks ago I restarted the couch to 5k and couldn't even manage all eight of the minute long runs.  I did seven of them then stopped because I thought I was going to be sick.  This morning I have just completed week 5 run 2 where I ran for eight minutes at a time (twice!) and it was a doddle compared to that very first week!  After the first run I actually felt like I could have kept going for another few minutes.  I'm really hoping I still feel like that when I attempt the big one on Sunday - twenty minutes non-stop! image  I'm scared but also can't wait to give it a go!  I'm absolutely elated and a bit in shock at the fact that I can run for eight minutes now!

Hope everyone else is managing to get out there in between injuries/no motivation etc.  Happy weekend running image

• Options
    Jonjay you done any more 10k?

Just entered Severn bridge half and considering I'm not a fan of heights could be funimage
  • Options

Well I have just ran for 20 minutes non-stop!!!!

I can't believe it.  A week ago I was struggling with 5 minutes and was going to repeat week 4, but I started week 5 anyway and have just completed it!  Thanks to those who said to just give it a go.  I am so glad I did!!! image

• Options

Ah well, burst my bubble this morning.....

Went out for week 6 run 1 after running for 20 minutes non-stop last time.  This was 5 mins then 8 mins then 5 minutes running with 3 mins walk break in between the runs.  No problem I thought.  But it was hell!  It was so much harder than the 20 min run.  The first 5 min run was fine, but the last two felt pretty horrendous.  My legs felt like they were resisting me the whole time and I was willing the podcast to tell me I could stop.  I think this is the first week where I feel like I've gone backwards.  I'm hoping it is just a bad run and the next one will be back on track.  I'll be really gutted if it turns out my 20 min run was just a fluke!

Anyone else find weeks like that, where things you could comfortably do previously suddenly became a struggle?

• Options

Always get days like that. My longest run so far is 10k and the first time I did it it was a big and unplanned jump from my previous longest. Weirdest thing is that it was soooooo easy, I felt like I could run all day. My next run was 2 days later and was less than 5k and it was horrible, so much hard work and I was willing the end to come.

Don't worry about it, there will always be good and bad days, the important thing is that, although it was tough, you got yourself through it.

• Options

Thanks Jonjay.  Was just disappointed because every run I've done previously I have felt a definite improvement and this was my first one where I felt it harder than the previous week.  Hopefully I will manage the next one ok.

One thing I have noticed though is that since starting running a few weeks ago I have felt exhausted all of the time.  I don't mean when I'm running, just generally throughout the day.  I thought exercise was supposed to give you more energy?!  I feel like I am struggling to get through the day sometimes!  I really hope this is temporary and will go away once I get used to it more. 

• Options

Congratulations on the 20 minutes Fraggle! I agree with Jonjay, don't worry about one bad run - I'm sure next time will be better. Re the tiredness, have you had your iron/Vitamin D levels checked? And otherwise I would perhaps just double-check that your hydration levels are good.

Hello new people! Daisy, I would say definitely leave at least one rest day between sessions, and more if anything twinges, you don't want an injury. Three times a week seems to be about right to start. 

I'm very happy to say that my knee is still good and I am running pain-free. This is good because the strength training has made sitting down the rather less comfortable option image Serves me right for not getting onto it before now! Did about 5km on Sunday and 6.5km this morning image

How is everyone coping with the hot weather?  It's certainly getting me out of bed promptly, as the early morning is the only time I feel able to run!

• Options
    Fragile check your diet as to you may not be eating enough to sustain the new exercise progr as me.

As for running in heat always take water with u and slow your running down. Don't go off too quick either
  • Options

Thanks guys, I think I'll try eating slightly more to see if that helps (no weight to lose thankfully).

Went out for another run this morning, two lots of 10 min runs with 3 min walking in the middle.  Managed ok - not as good as the eight minute runs or even the 20 minute run, but not as bad as last time either.  So not my best but not my worst.  I am dreading the next run though - 25 minutes!  image

And if I stick to the schedule then I have no more official walking breaks either. image

• Options

The no more more walking bit is great. You'll love it when you get that last interval one done, such an achievement. 

Im still out of action but some of it is an excuse this week. Although still a bit sore I think I'd be ok for easy running. This heat has put me right off though image

• Options

Yeah, I've struggled in the heat too, although we've not got it anywhere near as hot as the south-east.  I'm using that as my excuse for struggling with the last couple of runs.  It's just so airless!

• Options

Hi! Not sure if anyone remembers me. I put in a very brief appearance at the beginning of the year, but I'm back, just finished my first session of C25K and am really pleased that I managed the whole thing. Onwards & upwards for me. Have a great weekend everyone image

• Options

Hi WholeLottaRosie, yay, another returnee like me!  image

Well done on starting again, remember to keep popping back with your progress!

• Options

Just completed week 6 - and I actually ran for 25 minutes non-stop!  I am amazed!  I never, ever thought I would be able to run for anywhere near this long.  Especially after a bad couple of runs last week where I struggled with the shorter runs.  I'll not say it was exactly easy but it was certainly doable, and I've got three more goes at it before it gets upped to 28 minutes then 30.  But I think if I can do 25 I'll be able to do 30. 

I am so happy! image

How's everyone else doing? 

• Options
    Is anyone else struggling in this heat and humidity?

5k in sub 27 but had to walk some this morning

Struggled with breathing.

Haven't managed more than 6 miles at a time since 14th June. Seems to be getting harder not easier and finding walking bits.

I'm gonna try for longer tomorrow but be an early run!! Good luck everyone
  • Options

Hi Pez, yea I am finding it tough, Tuesday was so hot and I had to stop during my running and walk and it was har, but better than doing nothing.  Thursday was cooler and not too bad with running club but I am still doing walk/ run and only about 2 miles.  I am going to run first thing in morning so am hoping it will be cooler. 

Well done to all still going and to the newbies, keep going! 

• Options
    Just under 12th in 79 min was a disaster and walked 4.6k in about 42 min and couldn't break out of a walk whatever I did even going downhill
  • Options
    Sitting on my kitchen floor dripping in sweat and I feel so disappointed in myself. Due to 12 hour shifts 3 days a week and then a 6 hour shift it's been difficult trying fit in runs. I've worked 24 hours over the weekend but felt so refreshed and determined when I got up this morning that I was going to try so hard and I really felt like I did but I've done less distance and it's taken me 40 seconds more!! I'm on day 1 week 2 so I'm walking less and really feel like giving up image
  • Options

Daisy - do not give up!  I promise you it will indeed get easier!  You definitely succeeded today by getting out there and giving your best effort to complete the session.  Speed/distance does not matter on C25k.  Getting the training in does, and I think it's very impressive that you did it after such a hard weekend.  Remember also that it's always more difficult at the start of a new week, and that the warm weather at the moment is also making things trickier. 

I went out for an hour this morning and it was very warm.  I felt a bit rubbish towards the end and didn't think I had made the distance I wanted to get in, but when I checked my app I found I had done nearly half a km more!  The heat must be affecting my brain!

• Options

Ditto to SilverStar - just keep going!  I had an absolutely rubbish week a couple of weeks ago and two days ago I managed to run for 25 mins!  Do not even let the thought of speed enter your head, it really is true what everyone says about it not mattering when you're just starting out.  The couch to 5k really does work, you have to trust it but don't be afraid to repeat a week.  If you give it another few weeks I guarantee you will see a difference!  Just remember that not every run will be better than the last, I found that out recently, but your overall progress will be going in the right direction.  You'll feel so much worse if you give up than if you had a bad run! 

• Options
    Thankyou so much fraggle and silverstar for your encouraging words image I'm feeling a lot better than I did earlier.....at least I'm off the floor now haha I'll let you know how I get on on Wednesday image
  • Options

Hi all, just found this thread - it looks like there's a lot of mutual support on here for newbies. Lots of people having very different experiences, but all of you have my admiration for keeping going through some tough times so well done to everyone.

I should have done wk3/Day1 of my c25k today, but I had to stop after just a couple intervals with my achilles tendons feeling very sore. They've been playing up from the start (I'm the least bendy/stretchy person in the world) but I usually recover in time for my next 'run'.

Tonight though, the right one really felt like it was going to pull so I stopped. Very disappointed as I really want to keep going and the are the only thing holding me back - I'm actually doing okay with the stamina and my knees are holding up well.

I'm going to try and run again to out on Thursday after another day of rest, but I'm reluctant to rest for too long through fear of quitting  image

Using ice and stretching and stair exercises, but still sore after every run.

• Options

Daisy - don't forget to let us know how you get on today. It's W1D3 for me this evening, I've even joined a beginners running club so at the mo I'm planned for C25K 3 times a week and once a week with the Beginners (approx 3k course). Hope this isn't too much too soon? I can't quite believe that I'm actually looking forward to getting out there and plodding! image