Options

ASICS Target 26.2 voting 2015: Meet the sub 3.30-ers

Comments

• Options

Ruffles - You can also buy some of the cover artwork from the Like the Wind mag. It'd make a great Christmas present for yourself or another.  I've just bought the 1st 3 issues and can't wait to curl up in front of a fire at Christmas to read them.

• Options

SlowKoala Love hearing the sound of the PB Klaxon!! Well done you, you speedster!!

Buxton runny bunny My current weeks are probably not what it would normally be as i have the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon in 2 weeks. Which in itself is a training run for the Country 2 Coast Ultra in Jan. Although this all changes if I was lucky enough to be chosen. 

Just done a 20 miler. 10 miles at 9mm and 10 at 8mm although I could feel yesterdays efforts in my legs and the last few miles I slipped back to 8.30mm, 

Gingermagic Sounds like you have had a blast of a weekend. Bet you'd love to stay out there for a bit longer? 

• Options

Hi 3.30ers! Gingermagic I had a look at that youtube - brilliant! any other documentary/ film suggestions? I love that sort of thing! 

• Options
    Night all, another brilliant day and a day nearer finding out which one of us has won the gig!
  • Options
    Hello all ... Hoping some or all could pass on some of your experience to the definitely inexperienced or maybe just 'sheltered life' runner ... Am I completely out of touch with the whole running world by setting my pace times in KM/min rather than mile? I only ever train with one other person and they worked in Km. At the boot camp, without fail every was talking mile pace ... I'm going to have to change right?
  • Options

I think that if you're trainin for half and full marathons that mile pace is more appropriate, however if your focus is 5k and 10k, why bother with miles?? That said if u do a European marathon they will count in km, which is great when ur counting up to half way, but an absolute sod beyond!!!

• Options

Morning Pete, Ian and Kirsten. Morning sub 3.30 posters. I have a v busy day at work today, so will be taking my mind off asics 26.2 until later tonight. Have a good day folks XXX

• Options
    Morning all!

It's been great superman. I love coming out here!

Kirsten he has loads more videos. Also there's a video called 'western time' which is about a woman called Sally McCrae running Western state 100. You might need tissues for that one though! Brilliant though.

Imclav I would change it miles for your marathon training but it doesn't really matter you could work in k's. But I prefer working with 26 milestones than 42!
  • Options

Morning world.....image

Good to have you back Gingermagic 

Karen Have a good day.

iMcLav Angela has pretty much nailed my answer too. If I am doing 5k & 10K training then I will predominantly do training in K's but will still do some mile work also. But above that it would be mile based. However, my Bro ran Paris last year and had not even considered it would be all based in K's and it threw him so preparation in K's is the key. 

Kirsten The film about Steve Prefontaine is a personal favourite of mine. I cant remember the title, will have a look and post it for you all later. 

• Options

Morning! Good luck with the last couple of days of campaigning.

Karen - it was lovely to do parkrun with Frocker and her dog.  We had a nice chat on the way round.  It's a shame she didn't get through as she was so keen.  She's running 37 races for her 37th year (maybe I shouldn't be giving her age away here!) but it impressed me as I don't think I've done that many in all my years running!

Gingermagic - love the vids, will check out the Sally McCrae one too!

• Options

Hi Ruffles Sounds like busy year that Frocker has got next year. Was the Parkrun you did together one you both do every week or was one of you a tourist? Any visual inspiration videos you would recommend? 

I also love reading books like Nicole's, I would thoroughly recommend 'Finding my Feet' by Claire Lomas. She was paralysed in an eventing accident and walked the London Marathon in 17 days in a ReWire robotic suit. I walked with her for two days, learnt a lot about her, what her life looks like but how she wants to shape her life and how she has not given up hope of a cure for her condition. She really is so inspirational.

• Options

Hi Superman, we ran Bristol's Ashton Court parkrun which is local for us both.  The only evidence is the twit pic although you're right, I should have made some chariots of fire themed vid! Next time!!

Like the sound of Claire Lomas' book, i remember reading about her when she did it.  Nothing like people overcoming the odds to do something amazing to put our achievements into perspective!

• Options

Cheers guys ... Miles it is ... !

SupermanRuns & Ruffles - The Claire Lomas story sounds like the kind of thing you need to remember when you hit mile 20!  

I recently read a book by Chrissie Wellington (4 x World champ Tri Athlete), really opened my eyes up to the amount and level of training that the super elite do, there is a bit of natural talent thrown in but I think in most cases it's down to how hard you work.  Motivation in a completely different way.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    iMclav, have to agree with you about the level of training the elites do. Most people think they are just talented but the consistent thing among all if them is the massive amount of training they put in.

One of the things I really like about running it that you generally get out of it what you put in.
  • Options

Love the Chrissie Wellington book.  She lives in Bristol and I've seen her about..am not stalking though.....

• Options
    Glad you like them Ruffles. The guy is a genius, the videos are visually stunning even the music is all created by him! The Sally McCrae one is brilliant, not to be missed.

I'm finally back home now as well so, head down and canvass, canvass, canvass!
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I have to say I'm really impressed with the effort you're all putting into this. You're such a great group. Well, let's face it all the groups are brilliant.

I've made no secret of the fact that I'm supporting Tim but that's purely because I know him really well from last year and he was so supportive despite narrowly losing out at this stage 12 months ago.

If Tim wasn't in this group I'd have a nightmare trying to choose between you. The videos and twitter stuff have been brilliant - you've all done an amazing job already and there's still 2 days to go.

Whoever wins will do the competition proud for sure.

Best of luck for the final sprint finish!

• Options

Thank you Malcs. image This group is the most competitive for sure and you can really tell how much we all want it. In return it means that we will share everything with whoever is interested! People following the eventual winner will gain a lot from that person. 

• Options

Evening all! This is the most quiet I've see the thread for a while but not surprised. It's been 100 mph since the beginning! Hope any training you've got going on tonight goes well. Monday is a rest day for me so just been on my mat stretching and doing core stuff.

Wee question for you all then. What are your pet hates/peeves about running? This just popped in my head because I saw a guy doing it this evening whilst out shopping. SNOT ROCKETS! I cannot abide it. Saw a guy get hit by one at the Portsmouth coastal marathon last year and he just took it. I was absolutely raging for him. If you are suffering so much that you need to fire snot out your nose get well out the way. Thank you. image

• Options

Hi Gingermagic how is the magical ginger one? image Love your videos buddy? When I recorded mine last night, two people walked past me, thought I was mad. At least I didnt have special brew in  my hand like them!!!

Malcs thanks for your kind words, of course I am in it to win it but whoever the winner of this group is, they have a lot to live up and and need to keep its fantastic reputation going and the competition is fierce!! 

I didnt answer my own question about who is my inspiration in running. I have two. My brother. He was a brilliant runner as a youth, sussex champion (twice), ran for the county, and ran in an international meet, excellent. All I have ever wanted to do is be half the runner he has been. Its stood me in good stead so far. Just in case anyone missed it on twitter last week, I beat him at Parkrun. Only the 4th time i have ever beat him in any race. He still smelt of cider from his night out but thats not the point. And secondly Paula Radcliffe. Not sure there needs a reason as every reason is so bloody obvious. I met her before the Brighton Marathon and she is more lovely than you would think,  Love the comments about Chrissie Wellington. She congratulated my daughter on twitter when she ran her 1st Parkrun, what a lady. 

I have a few pet hates. Anyone running with music in a race and making no effort to be aware of their surroundings. Dont mind running to music, got a lot of time for it, but dont drown out your surroundings and get in peoples way. Ive also said before I am a sociable runner, always say hello or smile or wave. Not a fan of no acknowledgements. Not a fan of Ghost running. (see my quote on Asics 2015 thread for my views)  

Never seen someone do a Snot Rocket Gingermagic but surely they should be done with the utmost care, if at all!! And if I got hit buddy, I would be mad!!

30 mins recovery run for me today, shattered after 13 miles Sat and 20 yesterday. I have the best chilli and rice about to be dished up!! 

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Ginger magic, was going to ask a similar question myself!

My pet hates are, headphones in races (especially when they are banned) people who start too near the front for their ability, the miserable runners who don't say hi when out training. Not sure I've come across a "ghost runner" in a race but it would annoy me if people were doing it and I'd paid money.
  • Options
    Ooh Millsy, the ability one is a good one. I do sometimes think it might be naivety for some but others it's deliberate.
  • Options
    Haha awesome Superman! It was a great video and the way forward I think. I'm good mate glad to be home! You've put in some miles this weekend then buddy, some work that!

Millsy, that's the other thing that does my nut in. People too close to the front who need to be a wee bit further back for their ability. People blatantly standing in the wrong time pens so they can stand by their mate.

I've never seen a ghost runner either. Bit weird doing that.
  • Options

Gingermagic I read your last post about being and weeing a bit further back whilst forgetting you are scottish's finest!! image

Currently training for the Ultra in Jan. One thing which would be sacrificed if I was successful and lucky enough to get the journey to Paris! 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I am going to have to hold my hands up and confess to having cleared my nostrils on the odd occasion. However, I'd never dream of doing it in a race! I'm still mastering the art of missing myself never mind other people. 

The first time I tried it I was the epitome of smugness until I got home and found it wrapped round my ear - a definite 'There's Something About Mary' moment! 

+1 for people that start too near the front for their ability although I take your point Tim that sometimes it could be naivety.

Top of my list is people who wear bells when running marathons. Obscure I know but I got stuck behind two Morris Dancers at VLM one year and I've been scarred for life. They were running exactly the same pace as me so I couldn't escape.

I'm still having therapy.

• Options

Gingermagic, I'm not surprised you got snotty with the snot rocket runner tonight, I'm so with you on that one. There's nothing worse than haring along a narrow XC path during a race, carefully watching your step, then suddenly feeling a slobby wet gobby slime hit the side of your face and arm. Minging. Don't get me wrong. we all need to snot, but the socially acceptable way to do it is to snot in your hand then chuck it away to the side, where there is no-one behind you!

Superman, in regards your tale about your brother, I was having  visions of the Brownlee brothers, where you are the valiant Jonathan, working so hard to finally get your place at the top, instead of brother Alistair!! BTW the Brownlee brothers book is also awesome. Two determined, Northern lads, with amazing parents, great coaches and the knack of being in the right place at the right time. Also they are both surprisingly frank about their sibling relationship and rivalry, which is refreshing.

What is a ghost runner? Is it someone who drafts off the back of you?

• Options
    That's right Country 2 Capital I remember. Lol aye!!

Karen, Malcs it just rubs me up the wrong way. When it's indiscriminate! They need to be aimed and I imagine this takes years to perfect! Lol @ the bells that sounds awful Malcs!