Options

Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Options
    Hi everyone, hope you're all keeping well. My parkrun times are slowly coming down so fingers crossed I can go sub-40 at the Salford 10K a week on Sunday.

Interested about your approach to the autumn marathon Puffy and Minni. When you say minimal mileage how much is that per week? I am not going for the full marathon but doing the Chester Metric marathon which I think works out at 16 miles ish. I'll cheer you on at the start line Mr P. I can remember you cheering me on near the finish line last year.

For the York marathon Reiki they may do the 10 mile race like the metric at Chester. The marathon runners go off first and then an hour later the metric runners are set off. The metric is an out and back of the final eight miles of the marathon. What does the course for the 10 miles look like? It seemed to work ok at Chester last year. Hopefully they won't set you all off together.

I really don't know how you all do these 24 hour races. I just feel exhausted reading about them. A few of my friends are making the leap to triathlon at the moment with some going for the Ironman in Bolton next year. I can't believe they are paying ??420 to put themselves through it!
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Hi Stan I remember it well you looked great.  Mrs P is doing the Metric marathon, it will be her longest race since VLM in 2007.

I'm looking at 16 this weekend, maybe 18, then my first 20 with the training group the week after.

RE the minimal mileage thing, my mate at work (not "bloody nose" boss lol) did Manchester off a longest run of 15 miles. I certainly don't think it is the route to a pb, but I'd like to just take part and not blow up.

Been to the gp with the abdominal pain, it really has gone on for a long time now, since before london. He said it wasn't unknown for soft tissue injuries to take 2 years to heal!!

RR on Marathon talk this week they mentioned that the ten mile race will start after the mara.

• Options
    Hi Guys

Stan & Mr P you are right, the 10 starts after, at 10:30 I think.

The course mirrors the start and finish of the marathon, cuts across a lot sooner obviously, and no outs & backs.

I think I follow a minimal mileage schedule in terms of overall volume that is, peaks at around 40 / 42 / week, couple of 35s, most weeks around 30, BUT I do tweak it, and go long several times, 20+ about 5 times I reckon, including a 25 at 3 weeks [& a day!] out.

I know this works for me ecause I don't have a lot of speed, but I don't lose pace during, so can come through in the final 10K if I need to, love that part.

In the week I do one easy around the 6 mark, up to 8 in a pyramid or progression [often TI miles or 1.5s], one set of HIT reps which can sometimes be on the bike, it's a lot less than many of the schedules, including what Amy went through last year for similar target result.

I did a London bridgeathon yesterday for the first tiem ever, and it was great.

Had to work, so ran down the anal near me to LImehouse basin & over to Tower Bridge, across that, along to Lambeth Bridge via Bankside, over that & along Thames Path to Chelsea Bridge, south and into Battersea Park - actually ended up going to Wandsworth bridge and back north for a final riverside piece before heading north to work.

Starting at 7:30 there was plenty of room and all very pleasant and interesting.

I do stil have a bit of a stiff and numb / weak hamstring/bum situation on the right side, but it has eased quite a bit in itself, and I'm managing the ever changing little knockons like opposite hip, ankle etc.

I console myself that I was more fo a wreck this time last year!

Stan I know what you mean abut the 24 hour thing. I feel drawn to the Wall, and to Race to the Stones, but there are so many reasons not to put myself through it!
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Well that has to be my longest time off the forums since my near death experience at the start of the year! image Back from hols now and the post hols readjustment so finally trying to get back into things.

reikirabbit - love the bridgeathon! That must have been quite a distance no? Good to hear that the body is holding up better than last year. How are you feeling about York?

stan - best of luck for Salford. It's great to finally hear you sounding positive about your speed!

The 24 hour races are much easier than you might think. It's lots of small bursts and even then they are done much slower than normal pace (well they are for me anyway!)

You can't not do London!!! I was banking on you being there. Just rearrange the wedding instead - tell them I said so! image

Mr P - lol, sadly I didn't see any pies on offer at TR, is that a deal breaker for you? image

Sorry to hear about the abdominal pains - is your mind put at rest now?

Minni - very well done at Spitfire, sounds awesome! My only problem with it is that it's in the middle of school hols so holiday would have to be planned round it. Not ruling it out though.

We've decided that we're going to try Endure 24 next year. Entries open soon. May do it in addition to TR and/or Spitfire but I don't know yet.

Great to hear that you're doing an autumn mara, would that be York then? Would be awesome to see you there! 

Re the training mileage, I can't understand how people manage things like P&D. I've used the plans on the Asics262 portal and they don't seem to go much over 50 miles on the longest mileage weeks. Most midweek runs are 6-9 miles. I've found them brilliant.

Angela - blimey, didn't realise you'd had such a crap journey! Clearly didn't affect your performance though. Hope all is well! 

Chicksta - great to hear that things are improving for you. Have you any races planned or are you still in 'get back into it' mode?

So far so good for me with York training. Bit of calf tightness but haven't missed any runs yet. Got the big one at the weekend - 10 slow, 10 MP. It'll be a good test!

• Options

Evening everyone! RR we were in London a couple of weeks ago and did a bit a bit of bridying too. Our hotel was in fleet St so a right turn, around St. Paul's, over wobbly bridge To Bankside, left, over Tower bridge, front of Tower, left over London Bridge, right then back over Millenoun bridge the other way to approach St. Paul's again. Left and over Waterloo bridge (I think) then along the south bank to Westminster bridge, bird cage walk then ha d in hand down the mall, across tear altar square down strand back to hotel. Nineish miles. 

nice to hear from you Malcs I have done races sans pie but it's not the same is it? Good luck on Sunday for lsr were going to the Chester Mara final group trading run  

I too have lost all my "speed" too many lsrs with Mrs p I think.  I did my midweek seven tonight in just under an hour with a LOT of effort. I got in and Mrs p was just about to start cooking a mushroom risotto. Well I soon put paid to that and we had fish and chips watching Bake off image

i havent had any scans/x rays yet but no real ill effects from tonight's run. 

• Options
    Good to hear mr P, and a nice bit of bridging there too.

Malcs mine was just under 13 miles.

By the way the York 10 starts at 10:15, so there could be shades of the Bejing marathon at the back.

Am having a Tui Na on Friday as usual, plus sports massage on Saturday to blast this neural thing ahead of another 20 [finishing with Hackney Marshes half on Sunday, so hope this can be the progression I failed to execute last week.

Had a cracking track session on Tuesday though, out of nowhere.
  • Options

Hello Everyone!! Looks like some activity is back on here, which can only mean one thing... It can't be long until the next asics 26.2 competition.

I learnt a few things over the summer:

1) I hate triathlons...

Oh, wait, that is it.  Completed The Vitruvian Half Iron tri on Saturday - hated it! I was sick of faffing around with swimming and cycling by August, which resulted in my pretty much not training the whole month.  So so so glad the tri is done now, because I can now concentrate on #operationsub90half

That's my next goal, so I'm planning on racing a half marathon every 6-8 weeks until I reach it.  My next half is the Maldon Half on 27th Sep, which I'm using as a warm up race to the first (hopefully) pb attempt at Oxford Half on 11th Oct

When is York Marathon?

• Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

RR – glad you seem to be getting in some good miles for York, despite the various ailments & treatments. Very impressive

Angela – sounds like lots of variety over the summer for you – look forward to seeing you tick off the sub90 goal.

Mr P – I don’t know how you are managing to keep clocking up the miles with the abdominal problem (see mine below..).  Well done though, just hope it improves at some point, with or without help of the GP

Malcs – not missing any training runs = going very well indeed I reckon.  Hope the 10/10 was a success & look forward to seeing how you go in York.

Some interesting chat on different training schedules, seems that there are lots of different ways to do it, as long as you’re consistent and no pesky injuries get in the way.

I’ve not done any meaningful running for a good few months now.  the abdominal pain hasn’t gone away and I can still feel it almost as soon as I try even a short jog.  I’m due to have an ultrasound scan in 2-3 weeks (referred via GP).  I’m not expecting any revelations, would just be good to get some sort of all clear that there’s nothing that needs serious attention.  I think the long term answer is probably going to be in core strengthening – I’ve done some pilates classes now and some of the exercises do seem to isolate the problem, which I’ve struggled to do otherwise.  Am just about managing to keep up 3-4 hrs of exercise a week – mainly cycling, spinning, yoga and other oddities so hopefully I’m not in too terrible shape.  I’ve supposedly got Florence marathon at end of November and royal parks half in October but don’t really know what’ll happen with them.  Clearly won’t be in any shape to try for a pb at either but would like to get round one way or another if possible & if it doesn’t cause too much damage.  Could hopefully be a good reference point for a “virtually no-training” training plan.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - good to hear the run was pain free, that has to be a good sign. Are you due to have scans at some point?

How can you eat fish and chips watching bake off? I have to have cake....or at least I have to pretend I have cake. I could never go savoury!

RR - I thought it would have to be quite a distance to cover all those bridges, that's excellent!

Great news on the track session last week. Just goes to show, you're quicker than you think!

How did you get on at Hackney?

Angela - lol, sorry I shouldn't laugh but I can't help it after reading such an outpouring of revulsion image  Look on the plus side, at least there's no doubt where your interests lie now. You're not in two minds whether it's tri or straight running so as you say you can focus completely on your running goals from now on.

Are you managing to get some good park runs in? I found those really helped when trying to get my 10K and Half times down. 

York is on the 11th Oct too so that'll be a big day for quite a few of us!

Sense - great to hear from you. Not so great to see that the the abdominal issues are still lingering. I hope you can get some peace of mind from the ultrasound results when they come.

In the meantime it does sound like your core work is helping. Seems common sense to keep at that. 

It's a shame you won't get to have a proper bash at your races. Whilst you could have a stab at the half I'd have a good think about what you'd want to get out of the marathon. If you don't have enough good reasons to do it then don't be afraid to defer or drop out. Even running slower it will really take it out of you. Still time to think about it though.

10/10 went very well. I did the 10 slow so that I arrived at parkrun just in time for the 10 MP. That was a big help as we all know how much easier it is to do speed in race conditions. The next 7 were a lot harder though! 

• Options

Malcs Sense, I'm still waiting for a scan date too. It goes down my right side adductor as well, if I press my knees together it is uncomfortable.

Mrs P had fish & Chips, I had Char Sui Chow Mein image

So, I didn't do the 20 this weekend, it just seemed counter productive, I'm not going to stop but I can do myself some good by a few non-aggravating shorter runs instead I think.

• Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

Mr P - our problems don't sound dissimilar.  the pain with mine can move from anywhere around groin, right round to almost my lower back on right hand side.  and the "squeezing legs together" pain crops up sometimes as well. 

Malcs - great stuff on the 10/10, big one to get ticked off. you're right of course, it would be stupid to get back to half-decent healthy shape and then ruin it by labouring round a marathon without proper prep.  I'm due to have a 6-7m leg of a marathon relay in 2-3 weeks, then the royal parks half.  If those go well enough & I can tag on a couple of 18m+ runs, then I reckon it'll be ok.  If the relay and the HM take a lot out of me then it's probably best to stay away from marathons.  I've pencilled in Manchester for next spring (and the London ballot, which I reckon is very long shot...) so plenty of things to aim for med-long term

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - aha, well Char Sui Chow Mein is of course perfectly acceptable image

Right call on the 20. No point doing it if you are not going to benefit. 

Hope you get a scan date soon. Nothing worse than waiting around for such things.

Sense - your strategy sounds very sensible. One thing at a time is always best.

Many thanks re. the 10/10. Had a solid 400's session yesterday too and 9 miles slow today. It's at this point that in past campaigns things would usually have started falling apart. However, the last two years I've been quite lucky. So far, so good this time too. 

I think the main difference is that I'm much more proactive - with even the faintest sign of a niggle the foam roller is out and if I can reach it then I'll be prodding away. It really does seem to help massively. 

• Options

Boo! Thought I'd stop by to say hello!

• Options
    Hey, Tigger so good of you to bounce by! How're you doing?? What have you been up to?

Sense and Mr P hope you get your scans soon and everything sorted. Nothing worse than waiting for something to stop hurting and balancing it with training. I remember when I ruined a metatarsal last year and six weeks off nearly killed me. Just wanted to run but I knew that every time I did it would just prolong my recovery.....

Are triathlons that bad Angela? I was hoping to make the move up at some point. What distance did you do and was the swim outside too? I need to get good bike first....

So last weekend I fell out of bed and did the Salford 10k. I thought my pace was ok but somehow I mucked up the calculations in my head. At half way I thought I was comfortably going to finish at 39:XX. I soon realised when running up the ship canal that this wasn't going to happen. Coming over the bridge towards the BBC I could see the clock. It said 39:58 I knew that sub 40 wouldn't happen. Finished in 40:08. Gutted. Way off my PB but guess in these situations you have to take the positives. It was a minute faster than last year and about a minute and a half faster than my last 10K about 8 weeks ago. So an improving picture I guess. I'll see what tomorrow's parkrun brings.

Makes, I take it you're doing York? What time are you aiming for? Certainly the 10/10 session must boost your confidence for a PB?

Hope everyone has a good weekend running!
  • Options
    Hi all

I really hope the suffering pair get results and reassurance soon. Everytime I hear your latest I can't help recalling me last year, and indeed what I now call my hernia zone [which does mysteriously include adductors] still aches quite a bit 8 months after surgery.

Fortunately you both have perspective, and are keeping fitness going.

Things have gone a bit odd for me in the past week or so - have had 2 very sloggy, leaden legged long runs - did the Marshes half Malcs following 7ish easy, and by lap 4 of 6 was feeling shattered. Managed only to +ve split by a minute so not tragic, but ran 2:00:08 for the half.

Was able to reframe all that as a good training effort, wasn't racing it etc, and had a good intervening week despite still struggling with the right hamstring and glutes seizure thingy, but then yesterday set out to run 22 miles, which did happen, but it was more of a shuffle, 10 secs/mile down for pace on last year's version, which had also been light and easy.

Yet at 19 miles I woke up quite dramatically and felt fine.

I'm wondering if the ankle, ribs, neural issues, lingering hernia zone could have taken a sort of overtraining toll equivalent as I have been feeling so much more tired than before.

Hope you stormed parkrun Stan. I reckon your Salford tale illustrates how much is in the mind. With correct information you could have done even better!

I'm off to cook some Quorn
  • Options

Hey Stan Im absolutely peachy! Been really busy this year, worked hard and absolutely loved it!

Triathlons are so much fun you should try one!  I did my first tri this year with Clive it was absolutely epic such a buzz! The thing is not to underestimate the training involved.  As for the open water swimming I would suggest finding a swimming group in your area to swim with, learn to love the open water before you start to think about everything else that will come with time and confidence.  Last saturday I swam Coniston end to end, which is at 6 miles is classed as a marathon distance swim, it was just the best!

Ouch cocking up your calculations wasnt the best idea now was it! Always look at the positives! Granted not always easy to find, the next day they pop out a lot clearer! What other races have you got coming up? 

How did park run go?

• Options

Evening thanks for the good wishes, slight improvement after a week's complete rest, but still not right. It can take up to a month just to get an appointment let alone the actual scan!

So I will not run at Chester, I'll Sherpa for mrs P and keep my eyes open for Stan image

• Options

Just popping in after hols and a frantic week at work. Good to see the thread still going.

Not so good to read about your ongoing injuries, Mr. P and sense image  Hope you / your physios can get to the bottom of it and sort it out once and for all.

Stan: epic calculating fail there image. But still a brilliant 10k time in my book image

Angela I wrote (see)

Hello Everyone!! Looks like some activity is back on here, which can only mean one thing... It can't be long until the next asics 26.2 competition.

I learnt a few things over the summer:

1) I hate triathlons...

hahaha - that made me laugh out loud, Angela. But hey you went there, did it and probably got a t-shirt. Now focus on that sub 90 half. It's on my bucket list too but TBH, what with age catching up with me I doubt I'll ever get there image

Tigger x wrote (see)

Hey Stan Im absolutely peachy! Been really busy this year, worked hard and absolutely loved it!

Triathlons are so much fun you should try one!  I

Great to see you, Tigger. TBH, I'm more in Angela's camp re. triathlons image

One more week of hard work here, then it's taper time. So far I've managed almost all sessions of my plan. I cut a few medium long runs short when I felt too tired but overall I'm OK with how things went. I never really got back to pre-virus strength though. So this marathon will be a cautious one but I'm still hoping to bag another sub 3:30.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Stan - still a great 10K result despite the disappointment of the miscalc. You're definitely heading back to your previous level of fitness so that's something to be very positive about. 

You could be peaking just in time for Chester!

Yes, I'm doing York again. Trying for sub 3. If everything goes my way then I think I have a decent chance but I know it'll be tough.

reikirabbit - well done on the marshes! Sorry to hear about the tiredness, that was a bit of a bummer but sometimes it just hits you.

You must have decent stamina levels to get through that 22! Great sign that you perked up at 19 miles. Most of us get the opposite!

Are you travelling to York by train? I booked my tickets the other day and discovered a very peculiar thing with the pricing. If I included travel from my local station to Kings Cross then the single price was £101. However, if I left this out and just got a ticket from KX it was just £19!!!! Oyster would cost less than a tenner so nowhere near the £83 difference. Something to check if you're booking to go by rail.

Tigger - ooh, are you making a return to the forums? image

Still can't believe you swam the length of Coniston, that is just nuts. You do know you can hire a boat there? It's much warmer and a lot drier too!image

Mr P - sorry to hear about Chester but the right decision and Mrs P's gain of course.

Blimey, 4 weeks just for the appointment? That's crazy. 

chicksta - never say never! That sub 90 is there waiting for you. 

It always amazes me how quickly you get to Autumn marathon taper time. Must be something to do with the summer Hollis masking the fact that time does indeed keep flying by. 

Really great to hear you're back to pre-virus fitness and sounding positive. Sounds like you've played this campaign very well indeed. And awesome to see you going for another sub 3:30 - brilliant!

Good luck for this week's training. Are you on a two week taper for Bremen?

I'm in a similar position with one last week of longer mileage before starting to cut back for York. Had a great 22 on Saturday completed in 2:54 and managed to pick it up in the last 2 miles.

Worked it so the middle 3 miles were part of parkrun again and ran into Steve (not literally) Sadly he was struggling with injury again after having had a good summer. He really doesn't deserve the bad luck he gets.

• Options

Sense and Mr P I must add to everyone else's good wishes to help your injuries heal in time for Spring marathon training!

Malcs!  I can;t believe you laughing at my distaste of triathlons!  An even more bitter taste was left in my mouth when waking up at 4:30 in the morning to get into transition to pump my bike tyres and generally be ready for the 6:15 start, I realised that the money I had spent to do the race could have been spent on a rather luxurious spa day.... By the end of the next day, I'd arranged to do the Norwich half marathon with a friend, followed by a 2 day spa break in Norfolk image soooo that will be a little more than the cost of the tri, but hey ho.

Stan, don't let me put you off tri!  Tigger's right, you need to have the time, and I mean shit loads of time to train for it - I was doing really well at the start of May when my training plan started, and coping fine with days when I would have 2 or 3 training sessions in a day, but a family bereavement then took up quite a lot of my time in June and July - and perhaps going for 100k at Thunder-run it wasn't the best idea to do a half iron tri a month later- distances were 1.9k swim, 85k mile and 21k run.  Strangely, in the race, I did quite like the swim, but I got sick of it on the bike, and then I remembered how sick of ride london 100 I got a few years ago - I just get bored on long bike rides, especially in tri, as its soo bloody lonely!

Hey RR I do remember you did get back into things quite quickly after your surgery,so it is possible that there is a bit of overtraining fatigue in there, or you could just be having a bad couple of weeks!

Chicksta, I reckon we should race to sub 90!!!! I don't see it happening all that soon.  I'm hoping I'll get a pb in Oxford half in a few weeks, but I know I'll be cutting it fine!

Sooooooo, I had WAY too much fun yesterday.... Me and my 2 pirate buddies kidnapped Superman and ran a marathon around the Surrey hills plundering wine and cakes and biscuits and sweets all the way around.  Was soooo much fun! and I didn't start until 10am, so I didn't have a 4:30 alarm image way way way fun image 

• Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

Stan – bad luck at Salford, my mental arithmetic on the move is normally pretty hit & miss as well.  good running though & moving in right direction which is main thing. How was parkrun?

RR – more good miles and just a shame it takes you 19 miles to wake things up.  Maybe you should build in a 19 mile warm up for York?

Tigger – that’s impressive swimming.  How long does a 6 mile swim take? & do you somehow take food with you?!

Chick – well done on getting through most of the training plan.  Really good, and I’m sure it’ll pay off.

Malcs – you’ll have to set up one of those moneysaving websites when you’re not busy training.  Impressive bargain hunting & training.  22m in 2.54 while feeling comfortable sounds very promising.

Angela – I’m with you on long bike rides, esp when solo.  I normally end up looking forward to the hills as at least you get a bit more satisfaction from getting up & over them.  Otherwise it can just be pretty tedious slog, especially if the weather is bad.  All good experience though.

Mr P – sorry that you’re still not right, prob right move re chester.  I’ve got scan on Sunday and have resorted to making a list of all the different symptoms as I don’t want to forget anything, and then end up waiting another 1/2 months for another appointment.  I’m not confident the scan will highlight anything, but I think even that’ll be some sort of progress (focussing on positives… etc etc)

Despite lack of running recently I ended up visiting friends and running st albans parkrun on Saturday.  Ran at something like 80-90% effort just to see what happened – probably a bit harder than I should have but wouldn’t normally be anything I’d think about too much.  Ended up with 21.29, fairly even splits, which was probably a bit more successful then I’d hoped for (though it’s amazing how long 5k can feel if you’ve not been running for a while!). Was aware of abdominal niggle but no real pain during the run.  Afterwards though it’s all been pretty sore – abdominal, inside thighs & bit higher up on my right side.  Can still feel it now. So doesn’t seem to have improved much over the last few weeks of rest.  Will see if I learn anything from scan and go from there.  Thanks for general expressions of sympathy though – am sure it’ll be sorted eventually somehow

• Options

That's a pretty awesome parkrun Sense!! Not sure I'd manage that time at the moment.  There's a very vulnerable muscle that starts just below inside knee, runs up the thigh on the inside and crosses the groin to join in the abdominals... Called Gracilis... So a hip adductor- seems your problem has been going on far too long for stretching to solve it- but it is a constant source of tightness for me caused by running.  In fact, back when I was a rower (not tower as I initially typed), my coach asled me if I was a runner as tightness in the same place shortened my rowing stroke length by well over a foot... I had lots of 'ministry of silly walks' type exercises to solve it...

cycling.... The potential for really really bad injuries scares me a bit too much.  I'd probably be ok on a closed road TT but ultimately that would be pretty boring too.  I'm not a super chatty runnwe, but did enjoy the company at events like TR24... 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - lol, looks like you've found your event then, alcohol fuelled distance running it is from now on!image

Well done though - sounds like a great event. Shame it's plonked right in the build up to autumn marathons or I'd be tempted. 

Great to hear you ran into Tim (and given the amount of wine that seemed to be flowing that may have quite literally happened). 

Sense - ha ha, yes - if only Martin what's his name hadn't got in there first. Maybe there's room for another one though? Food for thought! image

Sorry I can't help with your abdominal issue, it's one of the few things I haven't had yet so I have no idea what it could be or how to treat it. Certainly didn't seem to hold you back on your parkrun. Sub 7's with a niggle is very decent indeed - well done!

I don't know where all the time goes these days or how I managed to post so frequently before. This week has been hard but has gone well. Mile reps on Tuesday then a 13 mile midweek run followed by 9 with 7 at 6:30 pace on Thursday.

Decided to go for Parkrun proper today (as opposed to combining with the long run). I think I need to get my legs moving again. Unfortunately that will mean a 5:30am rise to fit my 20 @ 7:30 pace in before junior rugby - gulp! Not complaining though. 

York race pack has arrived (cue rush of nerves). Looks like Matt (Sub 3 group at bootcamp) is pacing there so it'll be great to see him. 

After Sunday it's taper time. Padded cell has been booked and paid for image

Have a great weekend whatever you are up to!

• Options
    Taper time for me as of today image final long run logged this morning. Gawd, but I really need a break ... Work is exploding around me and I just completed the second 50+ hour week in a row image. Knackered doesn't even begin to describe it.

Hope parkrun went well, Malcs. And good luck with the long run. 5:30 is a lie-in for meimage

I wish I could knock out a parkrun like that after a lay-off , sense. You simply have great speed. Nice image

What's next on your calendar, Angela?
  • Options

Angela that alcohol fuelled race sounds amazing. I am planning to do the marathon du Medoc for my 40th in a few years time. I think marathon running and red wine go hand in hand. Though I've discovered they have all these types of runs around Huddersfield. Not to sure about the pie-athlon though.......

Malcs and Chicksta try and enjoy the taper..... I am sure you'll start getting paranoid about everything in a few days. Not to mention the worry about people with colds/illnesses. How did the 20 miles go today Malcs? Good luck with the sub 3 target, I have every confidence you can do it. I will do it soon - was hoping it would be London next year but looks like I will have a wedding in Jersey to attend! Currently weighing up alternatives!

Mr P sorry to hear about your on-going injury but probably wise to give Chester a miss. I look forward to being roared on by you in a couple of weeks in Chester. Made all the difference last year.

So after my Salford 10K failure I returned to Heaton parkrun last week and managed 19:36 which was my fastest time since early May. Really pleased with the time as the hill on the course goes on forever! Woke up this morning feeling a bit under the weather (hoping it's not the start of a cold!) and managed 19:09 and 8th place very pleased with that! Only 20 seconds away from my best on that course! It is amazing when the results of a few weeks training come to fruition...... Oh it was my last run as a 36 year old!!! Birthday tomorrow - late 30's here I come

• Options

Afternoon all!! 

imageHAPPY BIRTHDAY STAN!!!!image

Hope everyone's taper madness is ticking away nicely!! Fab PR yesterday Malcs!

Angela your marathon did look like good fun, did anyone not do it in fancy dress? 

Hope everyone's injuries and niggles are on the mend.

To swim Coniston took 3hs 52mins Sense, same as any marathon we had water and feed stations along the way, only you get jelly babies on every station and gels too! and when you finish you get hot squash to drink. Haha so when you think about it at least I got 1 marathon sub 4 this year!

Been rather a busy week here,started training properly again this week, and loving it! Being brave hitting the track on Tuesday all by myself!! eek!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

chicksta - 50+ hour weeks? Blimey, no wonder you need a rest. Best of luck with the taper. Gotta love it when things start ramping down image

Stan - bloody hell, you need to feel under the weather more often! Awesome parkrun, particularly for an old fellaimage (happy birthday btw.)

Can't believe you haven't blown out the wedding in favour of London, what are you thinking man?!!!

Tigger - I've said it before elsewhere on the inter web but that swim is unbelievable! Can't get my head round you being in the water for that length of time. Amazing stuff!

Good to hear that the training has started! image

Very pleased with my parkrun yesterday. 18:53 at Orpington - only my second sub 19. Today's 20 went really well too so everything looking good. Had an issue with my left glute going into spasm but I managed to get it to ease a little.

Feeling pretty damn knackered right now!!

• Options

Yes, alcohol fuelled running is my think Malcs... but I'm having a non alcohol fuelled end of Sept, first half of October to give me maximum chance for Oxford Half marathon on 11th Oct.  I have Maldon Half this weekend with Sarah A, but we're both using it as a training race.

Chicksta, enjoy taper time... next on my calendar is 3 half marathons. Maldon this weekend as a training run, then going for it at Oxford 2 weeks later, then going for it again at Norwich in November.  Then nothing in the calendar until next April, when hopfully I will be jetting my way across the pond to Boston!!!  I'm currently in that horrid limbo of waiting to find out if I got a place, and apparently applications are very high this year!

Stan, MdM tends to be on the same weekend as Bacchus... unfortunately, now I've found Bacchus, I doubt I would ever go through the faff of going to France, but I guess either FRance or Surrey are both quite a long journey for you! image

Tigger, There were a few boring folk on the half marathon who came rushing through when we were toward the end of our first lap, who must have been finishing the half in around 90 mins, although one of the speedy guys in his club vest did stop and have some wine at the 11 mile point when we saw him!  But yup, mainly fancy dress image 

Well done in Coniston! What a beautiful place to swim!

• Options

Crossing my fingers, Angela!! I bet you'll get a place though. People told me as well that I shouldn't get my hopes up coz applications were nearing record numbers (I did the race the year following the horrid bomb attack) but I got in without probs. The site never even crashed (as opposed to the VLM site).

Think positive image and good luck with the HM racing.

Great parkrun time, Malcs. To think you were forever hovering around the 4hr mark for your marathons is mind-boggling. Look at how far you've come!! Amazing.

And Stan. Another great parkrunner. Belated Happy Birthday image

Tigger: wowzer - somehow I prefer the boat though image 

Not much to report here. Easy run today (5 miles) at a record low HR. Other than that I'm sort of enjoying the taper. I think coupled with my crazy workload I'm kept busy enough to stay sane image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - good luck with the Boston entry, really hope you get it! And good luck for Maldon half this weekend too!

chicksta - many thanks! I know, it still shocks me that I made it past 3:30!

Sounds like you have the taper well and truly under control. I think it's much better to be busy. I work from home and find it hard not to be distracted by the taper demons. There's always that extra bit of foam rolling I could be doing on the mystery pain that's just appeared from nowhere! image

Speaking of pains, both my glutes are now grumbling. I was supposed to do 9 easy miles yesterday but those pesky muscles kept cramping up so I cut it short. I suspect it is just fatigue after a fairly tough last 3 weeks so I'm skipping today's speed session :-P

Tomorrow is a rest day anyway so I will resume with parkrun on Saturday.