Options

Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Options
    Yowsers Super - freak accidents R Us! I'm so glad it wasn't worse, and to see that every cell remembers!

I have been at the short stuff - a couple of track meets [came 4th in a 5,000m and won a bronze in the 4 x 100m relay - don't dare ask!]...then this Sunday I ran the Concorde 5, and was quite pleased to finish just 38 secs behind Paula Fudge, was actually trying to beat a colleague, could have hurried up a bit I reckon to take on a CWG champ & former world record holder, but had no idea I was that far up!

As it was they gave me the FV55s prize so we ended up in an email exchange. I'm such a groupie.

Upcoming races so far with many more to come I hope =

28 June - maybe the Richmond Park half - I hesitate because the tube isn't going to Richmond that day which makes for a hit & miss combo of multiple trains & buses.

19 July - Newham 10K [the Olympic stadium run, see groupie above!]

6 Sept - Hackney Marshes half or Harlow 10, whichever translates best to a 20

11 Oct - York marathon, unfinished business department.

Feeling so much better since the freak ankle bone chip in gale incident [again a tree was involved] back in May, and my RHR went below 50 for the first time since the New Year surgery on Sunday, so am definitely feeling like I am *back* & with nothing too drastic going on at this moment, just the usual sore knee & achey foot.

Hurrah.

Glad to see so many adventures lined up.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Hi RR good to read such positive news!

I am nursing my achilles tonight watching telly image

• Options

Hey guys sorry for not posting in a long while.

I was also at endure last week but I was back for my 2nd year as a solo runner. Still love runnin that event and the teams looked tough as not sure how you keep going back out fairyclogs. For me I managed a new PB of 85 miles in 21 hours. I was almost there with the 100 but the legs just weren't there this year. Still really chuffed with the PB and now need to find the next race as oddly now have an empty calender.  Any suggestions???

• Options

Impressive mileage baldrunnerman. No idea how you kept slogging out those 5 mile loops.

I made it round the South Downs Marathon today despite hip pain in a respectable 4:23. Managed to fall over on a rocky path but survived without bloodshed unlike last year.

• Options
    Well done baldrunnerman & Fairyclogs too!

Total awesomeness by you two.
  • Options

Hey hey, seems impossible to get on here at the moment, but feeling proud of this weekend, and even think I may blog, so thought I would come to tell you guys first.

However, massive congratulations to baldrunnerman - thats a truly incredible achievement at Endure!  I would recommend sitting down and deciding on what your most important running goals are- then you can find the races that help with those.

Well done at SDM Fairyclogs - how many are you upto now?

RR - I'm so glad that you are feeling back to your pre-surgery fitness - just goes to show doesn't it - attitude is everything! 

So, my weekend- yesterday was the Great East Swim - 1 mile for me at 11am - I finished in 40 minutes and 22s - a fairly average swim, but I was absolutely delighted with it for several reasons - 1) I didn't freak out on getting in the water. 2) I didn't freakout when I crashed into people, or others crashed into me. 3) I didn't stop to put my feet down/tread water. 4) I actually drafted someone for a little while. 5) I didn't blow up. 6) I actually vaguely enjoyed it.  It has taught me that I can probably be a bit more aggressive getting into the water for my triathlons, and also I can stand to work a bit harder as I seem to have swim fitness now!

Today, I had Mersea Round the Island Race - local - the most easterly island of the UK (I think) and where we get all our oysters from.  It joins the main land via 'The Strood' a causeway built by the romans that floods at high tide.  This is the 3rd year I've done the race.  My first time it was only 12.2 miles, but last year after the vicious storms, part of the sea wall was destroyed, so they adjusted the route to make it up to a half marathon, and now they have kept it like that, as half marathons are a bit more saleable.  I knew I had a chance of placing today, as last year's ladies winner is in Wales doing another race, so I went into the race with 2 goals.  #1 - beat last years time (preferably by 10 minutes) and #2 .... place (or top 10) - you can never really decide on placing until you know the runners there.  Its a tough multi terrain race- completely flat, but you run on sand, sea wall,, gravel, shells, grass, etc.  Anyway, it starts on sand, my nemesis, but at about 1.5 miles you go onto the road.  I realised very early on that there were no women ahead of me, but was conscious that the sand was the toughest bit.  I thought great!  I can place!!! WOO hoo - just need to focus on the pace.

Being an island, wind is a challenge, and being June, so is sun!  At the first water station, I could hear another lady just as I was leaving it.  At the second water station she passed me - I made sure I stopped to have a drink at each station as it was hot and I wasn't carrying any water with me.

Within a few hundred metres I passed her again though.  I felt really strong at half way, but knew from last year, that somewhere around 9/10 miles is beach running into a head wind.  Surprisingly I managed this quite well, and got to 10 miles thinking I've got this!  There's no way that she will catch me now.  And this is where I also talked myself into being able to drop to a 9mm and still reach my time goal.

The last water station was just the other side of a caravan park where a lady had passed me (not the same one) - It was only 1.5 miles from the end, but it was getting really hot, and I always think health first.  I saw she stopped to take a drink, so I did too - a very quick one.  Then it was down a ramp onto another section of beach!! ARARGHGHGHGH!!!

My legs were exhausted by now.  I decided to do Paula Radcliffe technique and count down from 300.  She must have been about 10-15 metres ahead

• Options

She must have been about 10-15 metres ahead of me throughout the beach section, and I had no hope of catching her.  However, the final km (ish) is back on road.  This is where I could kick, and I kicked like I never kicked before -  I overtook her with about 500m  to go, and she called well done after me.

The road section was really long, and I know sprint finish is a weakness of mine, however, people were cheering and saying first lady - part of me thought they wouldnt be that cruel to say it if she was on my heels, but I daren't look back.

Jeez the road went on a while, but yay!!! I DID IT!!! FIRST LADY!!! In a bloody tough half marathon. image

What's funny is that just a few days ago, after a couple of months of feeling lost since getting my boston qualifier, I wrote down some new running goals; one of them was to be first lady in a race that wasn't a parkrun image The power of writing things down!!

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Very well done! image

• Options

Congratulations Angela I sounds like a tough race. Brilliant write up and proof of the power of positive thinking.

I ran/shuffled 7.5 laps of Caldecotte Lake in Milton Keynes for a Lego Superhero medal. How sad am I? At least running on the flat was not as painful on my hip as the hills and rough terrain of SDW. Sadly wearing a Wonder Woman outfit did not make me super fast.

Next week is  Bewl Water, marathon no. 47. Hope a week of rest will sort me out!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Blimey, some awesome running going on here!

reikirabbit - agree with fairy godmother Angela, it's so nice to see you back in the game! Very well done on the FV55 prize image

Mr P - how is the achilles doing? Did the TV watching sort it out?image

Fairyclogs - wow, almost at the half century! Amazing stuff! Congrats on SDW. Is Bewl multiple laps? Very best of luck!

Baldrunnerman - crikey, 85 miles! That's outstanding sir. I managed about 56 miles last year at TR24 and I was a wreck. Can't imagine how it would feel after another 30 miles on top!

Angela - well done on the swim but wow, even more congrats for your race victory! That's absolutely amazing - the power of writing things down indeed! You must be totally elated. 

I wonder what else is on your list?

After hearing of your success I've made one of my own:

1. Do 10 laps or more at TR24

2. Go sub 3 at York

3. Win the lottery 

• Options

I'm hoping to do 10 laps at tr24 too- can we do some together?

yes very happy! Check out my facebook for my trophy

fairyclogs- not long until you become a 100MC 'wannabe'- which race have you planned that for?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - Oooh - nice bling! 

Yes of course we can do some TR laps together. However, I suspect you'll be going much faster than me! I will definitely be walking ALL the hills image

Btw. I didn't realise I'd missed the Asics262 wrap up video! In case anyone else missed it, here's the direct link:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/asics-video/asics-target-262-the-wrap-up-video/13320.html

Emotional stuff. Tim - you looked like you were cruising! image

Did my VLM GFA entry last night - can't tell you how great it feels to be able to say that. Hope they let me in! image

• Options

Hi everyone! Long time no see/post.

Looks like everyone is carrying on doing amazing things! Tim I hope that you're nearly recovered and ready to get back to your running. That sub 3.15 has got your name all over it.

Malcs, hope to see you at London next year! I'm in the ballot again so fingers crossed. Well done on the win Angela, thats bloody brilliant. Loved the report. 

Balderunnerman, amazing effort that mate. Well done. If you're looking for a race I'm doing the SVP100 in August. A lovely run along the Stour Valley path from Newmarket down into Essex. Theres still a few places left! 

Since Manchester I did the NDW50 again which was as emotional as ever and got round in just under 11 hours. Absolutely brutal hills. I'm all signed up for the Frankfurt marathon as well in October. Hoping for that elusive sub 3.30 over there.image

• Options

I do love reading this thread. Just when I am doubting where I can get some inspiration from and I read the latest posts. I am struggling still with injury. Post injury it is a real effort to run with correct cadence and biometrics for more than a couple of miles. And as I am not doing so I can feel other parts of the legs struggling and getting niggly. And the post run pain is quite frustrating.

I did finish parkrun in a reasonable time Saturday, rested (well cycled) Sunday and then did 7 miles on Monday but it took over 70 minutes and I could hardly walk yesterday. Might have to be more patient and do more baby steps.  The bike training on the other hand is coming along well as I don’t get any pain from this. Mix of turbo training and long rides outside.

More treatment next week for the leg so hopefully after this I can begin to get back to the training plan. The sub 3.15 attempt is now 16 weeks away.

Ruffles Well done on your PB, its excellent to see your continual improvement. What tri are you looking at? I had forgotten you are doing Ride 100. How’s the training? What’s the longest you have ridden for both in terms of duration and distance in your training?

Chicksta What a nightmare for you too. Virus, reaction to the meds, hospital. You poor thing. I hope the peak flow is starting to come back. And good to hear that you are confident of a 6 week recovery, I like it.                        

Mr P Nice parkrun performances for you, the speed is returning. Although how is the sore Achilles coming along?

Malcs I am loving hearing about the rugby referees course, how is it going? What level will you be going in at? And how is your training coming along?  I did love seeing that you have got your GFA entry in. Do they keep the release date of entries for the GFA under the radar? I only ask as I saw a few people on social media last week panicking that they might have missed it.  Linked to GFA qualifying (maybe one for you to read Angela I re Boston) was an article on why people cheat at marathons

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/marathon-running-why-do-people-cheat/13630.html

Cannot understand it myself but nowt as strange as folk. Any congrats on getting and using your GFA entry again Malcs I also agree with you, summer training for autumn marathons can get hot. I am not sure which I prefer? The hot weather training for autumn or the cold dark weather training for spring?  Let me know your lottery numbers, I have a feeling they might come up.

Fairyclogs Very well done on your Endure 24 completion, great achievement. And well done on your SDM performance. I understand it was as tough as ever this year?  And what a spread of events lined up, have you done Bewl before? I do quite fancy this one, maybe not this year but possibly next. How is the piriformis afterwards?

Reikirabbit I am liking this short speed stuff. Well done on the track and I do have to ask about the bronze in the 4x100m relay.   And I love your groupieness. Very impressive.  And how is the ankle now?

Have you decided on whether you are doing Richmond Park this weekend?  I am gutted to be missing the Olympic Park race on 19th July. I did it a few years ago and absolutely loved it however it is clashing with DinoSnores, where I am taking my daughter and her friends for a night at the museum sleepover in the National History Museum. We sleep under either the Blue whale or the Diplodocus and have a torchlight procession around the museum.

Baldrunnerman What an achievement at Endure. 85 miles. Wowser!! Congrats congrats congrats!! W

• Options

Angela From Auntie to Godmother. From Finisher to First Lady!  What a brilliant and enthralling write up of your run. I do like your write-ups, totally makes me think I am watching you compete. And the power of you training and positive mental thinking there got you home and in first place. Woo Hoo!!!!! . Well done, it is so well deserved.  So pleased to see you taking your foot off the gas now with your race entries.                        

Gingermagic Do I read right that you are doing the Stour Valley 100 race? Ace. How is the training for this one?  What is the Frankfurt elevation like? Got my fingers crossed for your sub 3.30 there buddy. And well done on the NDV50, brilliant achievement. Got my first ultra in December, looking forward

I do like the wrap video. Brings it all back. When I saw the guys filming it was at 18-19 miles and I did feel pretty good. Not as good as I felt after the celebratory drinks after. imageimageimage

• Options
    Oxon WhiteOxon White ✭✭✭

Hi,  

Thinking of doing the Bristol 2 Bath on the sub 3:30 Asics Plan.

Notice it has Parkrun in there quite a bit.  I assume it is allowing for full effort on these?

• Options
    Hi Oxon White. I did quite a few parkruns during the programme, not all were full pelt tho. Some were and I did a PB four weeks prior to the marathon. I did tack the others onto the end of my long runs and run them hard and see how strong I felt. It gave me bags of confidence. Hope this helps. What's your current PB for parkrun and marathon?
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I just read "ugly referees course" time for bed perhaps?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - lol - we were a pretty gruesome looking bunch image

Tim - I do feel for you. It's hard enough dealing with running related injuries but something freaky like that is tough.

Baby steps as you say. You will get there - you have before. I hate being patient so I am definitely on rocky ground dishing out this sort of advice. 

At least you can run, painful though it may be. It would be a lot worse if you were on doctors orders to rest up completely. Each run should get a bit easier. Keep chipping away.

Re. the GFA entry, it's not a secret, it's on the VLM website under 'how to enter'. They had been reporting there that application entries would open in mid-June. I believe you have until 24th July to apply, be accepted and pay for entry. 

Gingermagic - the magic is back! Blimey, that NDW sounds like torture. You're certainly going for it on the ultra front. 100K! You're a crazy man image

I will keep my fingers crossed for you in the ballot. With the new system this year letting more people into the draw I would imagine places will be even harder to come by. Really hope you make it!

Oxon White - if you follow the plan to the letter then yes, I believe they are all intended to be done at full 5K pace so feel free to go for it! image

• Options

Mr P     image

Malcs Is there a limit to the amount of GFA's they accept in the VLM? Clearly this will have (some) impact then on the amount of general ballot entries available. 

One of my newer goals was to try and give something back to the running community so as well as more volunteering I have signed up to be a guide runner. I am now registered with England Athletics and waiting the runners workshop. Pity the poor runner who gets tagged with my accident prone self. image

Just going to put the kettle on, make a nice coffee and read the full statement on Alberto Salazar before passing any further judgement.

• Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

super - I've just read back and seen about your nasty accident.  sounds rubbish, hope you're very much on the mend now.  the Salazar stuff is very unsettling - will be interesting to see which side the media analysis settles on over the next few days, and what the next set of replies from his accusers look like.  pretty amazing how it all plays out so quickly & publicly these days.

malcs - great stuff re GFA.  I'll be there at the 10m mark to cheer you on - will have to get hold of a swiss flag from somewhere

some seriously impressive trail runs, marathons & even further from others (baldrunner, angela etc).  great stuff

I've entered Florence marathon at end of November but not really running regularly at the moment (various odd niggles) so currently looks like it'll be more of a get round in one piece effort than a proper build up - about 5 months to go though so hopefully plenty time to get to a better & fitter place 

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Evening, just back from seven milesplus a mile walk. Achilles is not good actually, not helped by a morning moving pallets round in our warehouse. Rest now till ten k on Sunday.

silly question Tim but will you be running with blind people or as a sort of assistant for people who cant run alone, what does it entail?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tim - I dunno how they work it with GFA. I've never heard of anyone who had a valid qualifying time being turned down which would suggest that there isn't a limit. There are no details about what the acceptance criteria are other than the qualifying time.

If that's correct, and there is no limit, then I guess it will impact on the number of available ballot places. However, I'm sure they set the qualifying times in order to let in an expected number of qualifiers. That is bound to be calculated based on years of past experience.

In short, I don't think the GFAs will have much of an impact on the ballot places. 

Great stuff on the guide running! DS2 used to do that and he thought it was brilliant. 

What was your conclusion on Salazar?

Sense - many thanks! You can borrow my flag any time image

Have you not entered the ballot then? Or did you enjoy supporting so much that running VLM comes a lowly second place now?image

Sorry to hear about the niggles, what are they? Are you having treatment?

Mr P - damn achilles! Hope it sorts itself by Sunday. 

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Waves to all 3:30 threadsters... Great to hear everyone's news.

Superman - good to hear that you are healing from your accident but must be so frustrating for you. I don't think there's a limit on the GFA places, not like Boston where some who just scrape the time end up not getting in. We have a couple of blind runners in our club and quite a few people act as guides for them in races and in training sessions. Not had a go myself yet (what puts me off in the training is having to clear up someone else's dog's mess, a bit like changing a child's nappy when the child is not yours!)

Sense - Florence must be a lovely city for a marathon and hopefully a good temperature in 5 months.

Angela - congrats on the win!

I'm still doing lots of shorter stuff. Have raced X2 5-milers, X2 10ks and 1 parkrun in the last 5 weeks. Have PB'd in all 3 and managed a couple of wins in summer league races, but what I'd really like to aim for now is a sub 40 10k. If anyone has any tips for this, please send them my way! My only plan is to do lots of sub 20 parkruns so I get used to the speed needed, but this in itself is hard.

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Soups - will your blind runner also have to wear a cape? image

Can't help you there Slowkoala - I am nowhere near a sub 20 5k let alone sub 40 10k! 

Malcs - very exciting to do the GFA entry image

Angela - congrats on the race win, just brilliant!....I am jealous as I've never managed that apart from parkruns! A couple of 2nds is as close as I have ever got.  I've not seen your trophy, but I really hope it's not as good as the one I got for first F45 in the Diss 10k the other week.....check out this baby image

/members/images/152897/Gallery/IMG_0009.jpg

Let's have a bling-off! image

I did get a PB in the race too - 42.56. (See SK, nowhere near sub 40!) I think I would have gone a little quicker but I backed off the pace in the last mile as my achilles was starting to niggle - I have the curse of Mr P!  It's not been too bad since, just a little stiff in the mornings, but I am OK to run more or less.  To be honest I'm not doing too much right now anyway, just looking to build some miles and a few tempo sessions before I start a proper marathon schedule next month.  

• Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

Malcs – I’ve entered London ballot but not holding my breath.  I think the (fairer) way they did the ballot this year (keeping it open for several days, rather than closing after a few hours) will make the odds even longer than in previous years.  Girlfriend hopefully running it with GFA though so plenty to look forward to.  I don’t think they’ve confirmed 2016 date yet but I’ve got half an eye on Manchester which was at similar time of year to London & seems to get good reports.

Origin of niggle 1 was the calf problem I had in paris – did some stretching, strengthening etc & had a (pretty intense) massage on it but took a while to sort itself out.  Think it’s ok now but has been replaced by niggle 2 which is an abdominal pain – pretty weird but think I’ve strained a stomach muscle or something.  Starts to get sore almost immediately I start running, and while it’s not that sore at the time I think cycling might be aggravating it too.  I’ve consulted Dr Google extensively and have now seen a real doctor too – should be getting an ultrasound scan it some point though don’t expect a clear answer.  I suspect the message might be that I need to do more (or at least some..) core & upper body strengthening stuff – dread the thought of that but probably need to stop griping about the prospect & do something about it.

Are you doing any shorter races over the summer?

Slowkoala – keep us posted on the 10k goal.  Sub 40 was my original goal for the summer but looking unlikely now.  I got to 19.14 for parkrun & reckoned that for me sub 19 would be decent indicator for sub 40.  If I do try for a pb at some point my plan is to find a race with as many quick people as possible in it who would hopefully tow me round.  Can’t remember where you’re based but I was going to try for one of the Battersea park Saturday morning ones, think they have strong fields on a flat wide course. The speedwork must be good for you in any case.

Freemers -  that trophy’s a belter. Hope achilles stops misbehaving

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Jeez, Freemers. I'm sure that trophy will nigh on impossible to beat in terms of uglinessimage

I threw a particularly nasty one away. I was a massive golden bowl-shaped thing complete with a lid sporting a running figurine on top. It was so big it didn't fit on the shelf so I binned it image

Sorry for going AWOL guys. Week before last I suddenly got swamped at work before having this week off. Headed to the Black Forest and I forgot my mobile at home. D'oh!! Call it enforced digital detoximage

Had a lovely time there and managed a few short runs but crikey, it's hilly there !!

Apparently it was the Epstein Barr virus that hit me out of the blue at the beginning of June. I'm finally recovered but it took me 4 weeks and I lost a lot of strength and what little speed I had image

4 weeks until the start of my autumn campaign image
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Freemers, nice bling! And well done on the PB. Which autumn marathon are you doing? Is your achilles all OK now?

Sense, I'm a long way from sub 19 as my 5k PB is only 19:40 but I managed 40:14 in my most recent 10k race. I do a weekly track session with my club but it's quite varied so not targeted at specific distances. I think you are right re busy races sometimes helping though, I did the BUPA 10k in May and it helped having so many people. I'm North London but will take a look at those Battersea races. My club are in a summer league which involves lots of 5 mile and 10k races and one of those is in Battersea park. Hope you get your abdomen problems sorted.

Chicksta, that virus sounds nasty, glad you're OK now. Which autumn marathon are you doing?

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    You're really speedy. SK. Before long you'll go sub 40 in the 10k and I'm sure the sub 19 will follow image

Doing the Bremen marathon. It's just an hour by car, cheap for a city race, good crowd support and not too many runners so you can hit race pace from the word go.

10 slow miles this morning. It's a start image