Options

Sub 3 Tom: #asics262

Comments

• Options

Are you feeling better, Tom? If you do then the time will be relatively easy. Based on your speed training a time of 36:00-36:30 should be feasible if conditions are good and you are healthy and certainly sub-37.

• Options

Hey Tom. Sorry about Watford. Try not to feel down about it, hard I know as I know how I would feel but def better in the long run. We'll have fun in Brighton, I'll even sprint finish with you again, and win of courseimage (after you have finished waaaaaaaay before me and run back to run the last mile again with me!)

• Options

Feeling better thanks Steve. 36:00 - 36:30, OK that's the aim! Seems scary fast. 

Thanks for all he support guys. 

We will have fun down in Brighton Amy! Not sure I'll be up for that last mile again thoughimage 

I've got some of the family coming down to watch which is all pretty exciting!

• Options

Tom, seeing the bigger picture/longer term approach  takes patience but it nearly always pays. Watch out Brighton - Tom is coming!

• Options

Haha thanks Ruth! I'm not sure I would have made the same decision without everyone's advice, so thanks for that.  

200m reps at Crystal Palace tonight. I overheard a few people last week saying they didn't want to train flat out for the 400m reps to save themselves for the weekend race so I wonder if I should hold back a fraction to get the most out of the 10km race this Sunday? Would it really make any difference so far out?

• Options

Back to training tonight. Crystal Palace track session - x20 200m reps was on the cards but Steve cut the session short after x10 as the track started to freeze over and become dangerous. The bends were particularly slippy but even the straights were icy! All my reps were between 33 - 36 secs. 

We also did two 1200m reps at slightly slower speeds which were easier to handle in the conditions and I did a further 800m to warm up and cool down. 

Steve wants me to cut back my session tomorrow to make sure I'm 100% recovered and then should be able to race the weekend well. 

Anyone else struggle in the cold today? 

• Options

Good session Tom, do you wear spikes down the track? Weather has been ok today but yesterday got caught in a bit of a blizzard whilst doing my 800m reps. At one stage I was struggling to see through my glasses whilst breathing in huge flakes of snow.

Good luck for Sunday

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Great to hear you're feeling better Tom. Good call by Steve to reign you in though, we don't want you having a relapse!

KR - do you not have electrically heated lenses for those kind of conditions?image

We had snow here yesterday but nothing that could be described as a blizzard. In fact by midday it had all melted and the sun was out (I do have it easy being able to run at lunch times.) There were some very disappointed children at school pick up time image

Yesterday I did my first intervals since returning from the flu - 12 x 200m and it felt so good to be moving at speed again. Nowhere near your 33-36 secs Tom but I was very happy with 42-45 given that I struggled with 8mm pace last week. 

• Options

KR - I don't have any track spikes but yesterday might be a good excuse to get some....  Anyone got any recommendations? Asics obviouslyimage 

Well done on getting out for some reps Malcs. You'll be flying in no time. 

I'd really like to do the full session today. Steve, I'm feeling fine - can I give it a crack and I'll stop short if I don't feel good after a few miles? The scheduled session is 13 miles steady in 90 mins. 

• Options

ok - good session last night on the ice - not sure why it just goes on CP track- didn't see any ice on way home on bike thankfully though my hands iced up.

Tom - aim for 10 then - but cut that short if you don't feel right and only if you feel 100% - then do a 3 mile loop but suggest if it is 13 should be more 95-100 mins.

• Options

Great, thanks Steve. Sounds good to me! 

• Options

Malcs, I'm backing Scotland against France this weekend! High optimism in the Scottish camp and Glasgow are playing pretty well.... 

Wales might edge it at the Millennium and Ireland should comfortably beat Italy. 

Should be a cracking start to the 6N anyway. Glad there are no Sunday games this week so I can fit my running around the matches!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tom - Scotland have had a couple of years of good autumn internationals but have failed to take that form into the 6N. Here's hoping this year will be different! 

Not sure about France at home. If it was at Murrayfield I'd feel much more confident.

Wales vs England is a tricky one to call. England look better on paper but Wales at home in the opening game of a 6N will always be tough.Of course Mrs Malcs, in her broad Llanelli accent, tells me that England are toast (ok, she may have used slightly different languageimage).

Nice start to the weekend. Aside from Parkrun I won't be leaving the house image

Hope the session goes well.

I did a gentle (nearly) 8 miles. No issues. Feels like things are getting back to normal image

• Options

Evening all...

I am still not running although things seem to be on the mend as i haven't had any leg pain in 2-3 days. I will wait and see what the physio says on monday before i resume taining. I have decided that I'll have one target marathon this year but ill go big on this and aim for a sub 2:50 at Chester.  

Tom - If Paris goes well, possible Chester would be another good one to try. 'm glad to see you're back on your feet and back upto speed. Sometimes an illness could just be your bodies way of saying to you to take it easy for a bit..Good man to support Scotland..Being of scottish stock myself, I would never be forgiven if i supported anyone else!! (other than the Springboks)

Malcs -  glad to see your issues are clearing up and the running mojo has returned..

• Options
    Malcs - good to hear fitness improving.

I didn't do the longer run planned - did about 6 miles in total as tonight did a track indoor mile - as it was my first ever track indoor mile I can technically call it my first pb for 27 years!

I was really pacemaking for Ros in our group and she took 10 seconds off the world over 65 record with 6:05.

Clare also set a W50 world record of 5:07 which I certainly wasn't up to pacing and there the men let her do all the work
  • Options

Wow - speedy ladies, well done to them both! (and the pacer of course.....)

• Options

Are they official times Steve? I'd hate to see Ros miss out on the official record after breaking it twice! 

Is Clare doing that masters 400m in Beijing that I read about in Athletics Weekly? Sounds like too good an opportunity to pass up, even if it is stupidly short!

Horrible run for me tonight. I was struck down with stomach cramps and had to stop and walk until I found a dark place to hide before dragging myself back home again. 12.2 miles, of which at least 10 were awful. 

• Options

Malcs - you never know what to expect from the French, but I can't recall Scottish confidence being so high. I wouldn't be surprised at all by a cheeky win in Paris!

Wales away will be tough as always. Bit of a coin flip that game. 

Iain - I'm not supporting the Scots... I lived in Edinbugh and St Andrews for 11 years total but am English. I endured the 'anyone but England' mentality for too long to have any affection to Scottish rugby! Most of my friends are Scots; I'd never hear the end of it if Scotland beat England! I'm not going to think about another marathon until Paris is done. I'll see how that goes first! Glad you've not had any pain for a few days. 

Steve - that's awesome for Ros and Clare. Delighted for both of them. 

Speedy - sorry to hear you had a bad run. Any idea why you got stomach cramps/ I have no idea what causes them. 

• Options

I had a good run this evening. Felt really good so decided to do the full 13 rather than stopping short. Averaged 7:18 miles for 94:55 (sorry Steve - 5 secs quicker than advised!!!). I wanted to run quicker at times, but taking everyone's feedback I've learnt less is more sometimes. 

• Options

You should have run on the spot for 5 seconds Tom to get it 100% right but great you could run that pace and feel good.

Sorry to hear you had a bad run speedy -

Ros and Clare both got official records as it was electronic timing and have the photo finish pictures and signed forms from all the officials from their two races.

think Clare is interested in doing the 400m at the World Championships in Beijing but has to get the marathon out of the way first - the long run Sunday didn't help her mile tonight but she just about got the record today.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Steve - many thanks! 

Wow, that is absolutely brilliant news about Ros and Clare! And well done on your PB too - 27 years is a loooong time to wait image

CC2 - poor you! That sounds like a horrific run. Hope the cramps are fine now. You'll probably find that karma will see you right and the next run will be awesome image

Iain - cheers! Good to hear the leg pain has subsided. Take it easy. Here's hoping for some good news on Monday.  

Mike - do you run on the masters circuit?

Tom - I hope you're right! I remember confidence being high when we played Wales in Cardiff a few years back and managed to butcher a massive lead in the final 5 minutes. Luckily Mrs Malcs had a ticket to the game that day so I had time to wipe away the tears and compose myself before she got home image

Blimey, you have had it tough as an Englishman abroad. Personally I don't go in for all that anyone but England malarky. I hate it when Scotland lose to anyone. 

Sensible running last night. I'm sure you'll see the benefit come the 10K at the weekend.

• Options

Rugby..I like to keep my support open, I am Irish by birth, moved to Scotland aged 11years, have lived with an English bloke for 12 years, my sister is married and lives in France with a rugby mad French man so when it comes to the 6 nations someone nearly always wins in our family!!!image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Come on Ruth, get off the fence and tell us who you're really backing!

What's that you say? Anyone but England? That's not fair, poor Tom is still recovering from 11 years of emotional trauma, give the man a breakimage

• Options

I'm Irish too Ruth, with a Scottish surname living in England, married to a woman born in Germany who is technically English (as it was a British Armed forces base).

So when people ask where I'm from it gets complicated.

Good average pace for you last night Tom and good to feel like you were holding back a bit. I managed 14 last night albeit at a steady av 7.59 pace.

• Options

I am English, with a Welsh name, living in Scotland and working with a whole load of French people. Luckily I don't care about rugby, not even a little bit.

• Options

English, with an English name, living in England. I also don't care about rugby, or football, or cricket, or any team sport for that matter.

I'm trying to figure out the cause of the stomach issues Tom, I often get them after hard sessions, but not during easy runs. I already know I'm intolerant to dairy, eggs, soya, rye and durum wheat and didn't have any of those that I know of, so I'm assuming I've developed a new intolerance to something. I'm keeping a food diary. So far it hasn't revealed anything obvious.

• Options

I’m with Malcs.... Ruth tell us who you’d really like to see win!

KN - Nice Wednesday run. I can relate to that – I feel the same when people ask me where I’m from!

Speedy – let’s hope you haven’t developed a new intolerance. Can’t be easy. Good idea with the food diary.

Good farlek session this evening. I did 3 sets of the following: 4 min fast, 1 min slow, 3 min fast, 1 min slow, 2 min fast, 1 min slow, 1 min fast, 30 secs slow, 30 secs fast, 1 min slow. That came to exactly 7 miles and I did 0.7 miles warm up and cool down to make it 8.4 miles total.

My ‘fast’ splits were:

4 mins: 6:14 / 6:07 / 6:08

3 mins: 5:59 / 5:59 / 5:54

2 mins: 5:40 / 5:47 / 5:38

1 min: 5:27 / 5:37 / 7:18

30 secs: 5:21 / 5:11 / 4:37

Rest tomorrow and 3 miles steady on Saturday ahead of 10km Chichester race. 

• Options

Good splits there Tom. I always find fartlek tough in that you are looking at your watch a lot. What sort of route did you run. Had you a rough idea of the distance you had to run for each section? Looks like you are in good shape and got rid of that illness ahead of Sundays race.

Did an 8 miler tonight with first 2 miles easy 8.19 & 7.59, then 5 miles at MP (ended up quicker) 6.43, 6.37, 6.38, 6.47, 6.44. Then the last mile was supposed to be easy but that came out at 6.55.

• Options

Thanks KR. Good 8 mile run also. Nice consistent splits. 

I was just lapping round the outskirts on Battersea park. Nice and flat which is good for a speed endurance session! 

I didn't know what distance I had to run for each section, but I pre-programmed the session into my watch which gave me alerts when to start and finish the sections and reminded me of the target pace for each. Really useful. 

• Options

Sounds good with the pre-programming the session into your watch Tom. That must help a lot for that kind of a run.