Options

Sub 3 Tom: #asics262

Comments

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I'm doing the Great Welsh Marathon in Lanelli KR. Finally bit the bullet and entered the other day. I was leaving it as late as possible just in case I jinxed myself image

• Options

I have eagerly started packing! Due to be a hot one, so leaving the man tights locked awayimage

• Options

Tom, wishing you all the best for Paris, I've been following your progress and just wish I was in as good shape as you are image      Looking forward to hearing that you smashed the 3hr target

!

• Options

Tom,in case I am not on again before you go all the best for Paris, think off all the hard work you have done and go out and smash it  GOOD LUCK image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Good luck Tom! Give my love to the 13th arrondissement!

• Options

Wow - thanks for all the kind words and support. Massively appreciated. 

Literatin, what happened there? Sounds ominous.... 

Just done a 4 mile easy run over lunch. Thought it better to do it in the warm sun rather than my usual evening run as it's forecast to be warm on 12th April. Will need to think closely about hydrating during the race. Is the rule of 'little and often' the best practise? 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Nothing happened, I just used to live there!

• Options
    Good luck Tom!

Malcs - I did some 1000s on my own yesterday morning, and it's true that it's so much harder to get the pace up alone.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

CL - glad it's not just me then image

I checked my splits and none of them were under 90 secs! I reckon the taper demons were playing on my mind too - I had that feeling of fragility throughout image

Tom - so, last day tomorrow before you set off. I feel quite excited for you all!

Definitely a good idea to get some warm weather acclimatisation in. 

Re. hydration, Ruth is the expert of course. I'm sure that her advice was drink to thirst. I've always found that I feel more ill when I drink before I need it. 

7 miles easy tonight for me but nothing ever feels easy in the taper! image Legs were like lead for the first few miles. Got better though. Still, a nice warmish evening for a run and beats watching telly any day.

• Options

Tom

I've always found best to drink small amounts regularly plus regularly dabbing water on back and neck to keep temperature down if warm.

• Options

CL, Malcs – definitely not just you guys. Much, MUCH harder to own!

The taper demons are definitely real too, and I can relate to the feeling of fragility.

Drink to thirst and small amounts regularly. With all the water stations, I find it a temptation to drink more than I should. Want to avoid the sloshing feeling in my stomach!

I’ve never splashed water on back or neck though as had always assumed it would only keep you cool for a few minutes so not really worth the effort. I see there are ‘sponging’ areas every 5km, so will try this if hot. Does anyone know if there are run-through showers in Paris?

3 miles easy + strides today. 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tom - it was pretty warm last year (at least I found it hot) and Steve's strategy worked very well for me in the last two thirds of the race. 

Early on I didn't drink a great deal but from 8 miles on I was following Steve's advice. As it happens I was getting progressively more thirsty due to the heat so I was drinking to thirst anyway.

Maybe if I'd tried taking on more earlier I'd have been better prepared for the second half but like you I don't like that sloshing feeling. 

I remember in the latter part of the race being desperate for the next water station to come. They are only every 5k in Paris so I ended up carrying bottles for a bit so I could take smaller but more frequent sips. 

The water on neck and head approach definitely helped me too so if you do find yourself overheating then I can definitely give a big thumbs up to Steve's recommendations.

3 miles easy? Hardly worth dirtying your kit! image

• Options

Hi Tom, I would like to wish you all the best for Sunday. I am sure you will run an excellent sub 3 marathon!!!! All the best!!!

• Options

Thomas - I did London the hottest year on record for the race (2007). I must admit I drink to time and drink only Lucozade Sport and the water supplied.

4 sips of lucozade sport after 40 mins then 80 mins and then alternate every 20 mins with lucozade sport and water after that.

I was fine and actually did a pb by 5 mins, but it may have been down to my secret weapon - I always wear a white cap!!!

All the best for Sunday!!!

• Options

Tim/Tom - amazed  i have only managed that once!

Little and often with fluid if very hot otherwise to thirst.

Don't use sponges until last 6 miles if very hot - it can lead you into a sense of feeling cool when you body is actually getting very hot. If not too hot then less of an issue.

Very best of luck. Will be clued to social media on Sunday!!!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tom - I guess it's got to that time now. Congratulations on running an excellent thread. You've been full of enthusiasm from day 1 and it has been a pleasure seeing you zoom off ahead of me on those cold winter nights at Palace.

Training done - now for the main event!

Savour every moment because it's a once in a lifetime trip. RW and Asics take such good care of you and the Asics hospitality truck on the finish line is just amazing. All you need to do now is concentrate on the race.

I'm certain it will all go brilliantly. Very best of luck (you won't need it) and I look forward to hearing how you smashed it in Paris!

• Options

Glad to read your training has gone well, and all the best on Sunday.  It will be ace - do yourself proud!

• Options

Hey Tom just wanted to wish you lots of luck for the big race. You've trained brilliantly go out relax and enjoy and see what you can achieve. Can't wait to see the results. 

enjoy the weekend. 

Sarah

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Tom - I find water down the back of my neck and down my thighs help hugely cause my vest gets wet so it helps to keep me cool.

I echo Malcs, it had been great to watch your progress and although I haven't had the pleasure of running with you (would still like to join you post marathon) you will have a good race as all your prep has been done to a top standard. Best of luck on Sunday... Is there a taking system in place?
  • Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

All the best for Sunday Tom - I'm sure you'll do great!

You've done all the hard work now so just keep to your race strategy and you'll be a sub 3 marathon runner by the end of the weekimage!!!

Enjoy the weekend

• Options

Don't forget the private toilets too in the VIP area!

• Options

Malcs, thanks for all the advice. You nailed last year, so if it worked for you, I’d better listen!! Water stations every 5km seems fairly frequent to me.

One gear, thanks for that – very encouraging (frantically searching for a white capimage …)

Isabel, thanks for your support! We’ll try and do the class of 2014 proud!!

HomeBrew, thanks. Appreciate your support.

Ruth & Sarah – thanks for all the advice and treatment up to now. Just awesome. I’ll write a more comprehensive personal thanks in due course!

Iain, sounds like water down the back is the way to go, but I’ll wait until the latter stages of the run as per Ruth’s comment. Thanks for all your contributions on here over the weeks, and we should definitely run post-Paris!

Roundman, fingers crossed your right! Thanks for the backing.

Physio last night for a quick ‘MOT’. I did ask them to leave the back alone this time thoughimage

It’s off to Paris we go……. 

• Options
    Have a great time Tom. Enjoy the race and good luck - not that you need it! Look forward to the post race report.

Has been a great board and thanks for all the advice Steve.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Best of luck, Tom. Sure you'll do brilliantly. You've done the long runs and have been rapid on the speed work. All bodes well! 

PS remember to turn 'auto-pause' off if you're wearing a GPS watch. It messes things up during the long tunnel. Enjoy the underground disco!

• Options
    Good luck Tom, I'm sure all your hardwork and training will pay off. I hope you have a great race and enjoy it. I think we will be starting in the same pen together (and hopefully running a similar time) so I will definitely keep an eye out for you.
  • Options

Best of luck Tom,
    Well done for keeping the thread varied and interesting.
    I'm sure you will rattle low 2:50's
    Go smash it and inspire everyone aspiring to go sub 3.

• Options

I'll check the auto-pause sorequads - not something I'd thought about so appreciate the heads up!

Saffa Mark - I'll be wearing a bright green vest and bright yellow shoes. You won't be able to miss me if we're in the same pen! Come and say hi! 

We arrived safely in Paris. The expo was cool with lots going on but managed to leave with most of my wallet undamaged. 

Final short 2 mile run tomorrow with Steve and the rest of the team. 

• Options
    Wow, the time really has come! Wishing you tons & tons of luck Tom, stick to your pacing plan and sub3 will be yours tomorrow. You've done the hard work, now go reap the benefits... BON CHANCE!!!!!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Run the marathon of your life Tom!  image 

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Best of luck Tom. Enjoy the rewards of your hard work!

It sounds very obvious but yes to sponges late on in races. Really refreshing!