Options

Sub 4 Amy: #asics262

Comments

• Options
    Barbie1976 just seen your post too yeah man PB Klaxon cover your ears!!!!!
  • Options

Amy was really strong today and her fastest mile was the last one and shows if she can get all the miles in now and stay fit and healthy that a sub-4 should be more than achievable.

It was my fastest half for 5 years but only my 101st fastest according to Power of Ten.

• Options

Whoop whoop. Awesome run Amy.

• Options

Amy that is an absolutely fantastic time! Massive congratulations on the PB. image

• Options

Well done Amy a great achievement! Look forward to hearing the story later.

Here's mine from today....... overall 22.01 miles in 3:09:18 @ 8:36/mile (but read below the last 4 miles were an absolute shocker I went through 17 miles in 2:13:39

Great pacing until 17.5 miles today, and then the adventure truly started. Once again a severe hypo (becoming highly frustrating now, as I still have not found the answer to prevent them on these runs greater than 18 miles, I hope I find the answer before Paris!). It was a case of making it home at that point exacerbated by the rain, when I'm hypo I get cold, so because it was dry at the start of the run, I went out in shorts and T-shirt, so at this point I was soaked and the initial stages of hypothermia were setting in coupled with the hypo I became very confused and had to concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other, so I found it easier to run/walk hence the huge drop off in pace. At least my figures at the end show I was on for a 3:45 marathon time! without the hypo though I was on for sub 3:30! I will keep trying to find the answer!

• Options

Amy officially 1:39:27

Still a good run Iain but maybe better to run slightly slower early on ?- ie try and run 3:45 pace to 20 miles and then you will better able to fight the fatigue and less likely to have the hypo problem?

Obviously while you still did end up with 3:45 pace for the 22, had you been able to carry on for a another four miles, you would have slowed further but at this stage, i would still say it's encouraging to run that far that quickly.

• Options

This deserves a separate entry, well done to all of you and your fabulous times in the Brighton Half Marathon just checked them out on the RunBritain website, you should all be delighted and if nothing else it shows that the training programs you are all on are clearly working!!!

Many pats on the back from me to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!imageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options
    Hi all just caught up and very interesting about time at halfway. I have never been quicker than 1:57 to halfway, yet my final 10K has got faster. So I've had 4 x Sub 4s from 1:57-1:58ish, including a negative split and the rest with slivers of difference between the halfs.

I know it's counterintuitive not to have banked time, but really, if you are strong, it comes together at the end, not by getting fixated on the half and finding it's a long way home pretty soon after.

It's a level of suffering I don't wish to repeat, every cell remembers.

BRB what an improvement on your mile. Love the internal club comps,

I'm so shattered I will just say hi to newbies and hope to regain some level of sanity over the weekend.

Hills were OK Amy, had the impression I hadn't done as well as last time around, but when I compared stats, had only run 0.01 miles less distance during the 4 x 4 mins of continuous [same as before] hills.

Running on 3 conseuetive days took me to the Alter G mega early this morning, but it wasn't working, so I did a 5K on land first [faster than in Sheffield by a few secs], then they found it was just a fuse, so I did the 30-20-10s after all, straight into the series with no further warm-up.

Haven't done my physio exercises or answered the phone after 8pm for 3 days now being too much of a gibbering wreck, but am off to do the physio routine now in anticipation of tomorrow's X Factor style event.

It's not really work.
  • Options

Well done everyone on some great times today!! Quiet weekend for me, only 50 minutes of speed work this morning, but then my marathon is only 3 weeks away...

Very jealous of going sub 1:40 on the half, a definite target for the future for me

• Options
    Gosh I just spotted a post that I didn't post earlier today - sorry guys!

Whoop whoop for the fab times today, in glorious conditions on a fab course.

I was supposed to be doing a 15 mile progression run which would have involved 6 x 10s, 5x9:30s, 4 x 9s, with the first 2 before the race, but events conspired to mean that I just had time to dash to the start pen upon arrival, so decided to cut the 10s to 4 and add two on afterwards.

This would have given me a finish time 2:03:30, but 3 miles out decided to hurry up and go for 2 hours, and nearly managed it, finishing in 2:00:13, so a real confidence boost as the whole thing up to then had been a stroll.

Like Amy, the last mile was my fastest. After 2 @ *normal* MP, I pulled out a 7:45, yippee.
  • Options

WOW!!!! Huge congratulations Amy on your shiny sub1:40 PB... Amazing time and totally well deserved!!! I knew you's do it... Hope you're doing something lovely to celebrate tonight.

I also managed a PB today at the Great North West HM in Blackpool, hooray!!! The conditions were horrific and the worst I've ever ran in... We had howling 30mph headwinds for half the race and horizontal rain, just vile!!! Having done the race as my first ever HM last year I was looking forward to going back and doing it again, however I'm NEVER EVER doing it again. Blackpool in February; what was I thinking?!?!? It's certainly No.1 on my list of races I'm never doing again...

As for my time, I finished in 1:48.12 (chip time) but I really had to fight for it into the headwind for the final lap and last 3miles. I was 49th female finisher out of 478, so almost top 10%, not too shabby... I wish I felt more pleased about it, but in all honesty it was so vile I just want to forget it! Perhaps I'll feel better in the morning? I guess when you consider I took 4mins41secs off my previous HM PB, and did it last year in 2:00.44 I've come a long way in the past year. At least I really feel that sub4 is achievable in London now...

Well done on your 22 mile LSR Iain, sounds frustrating though having another hypo. I hope you can find a solution to it before Paris. I think Steve's advice sounds really sound; it's no good being able to so 18-20 miles at 8min/mile pace if you can't sustain it for another 6 or so... I'm definitely finally learning that even pace is the way forward. 

Time now for a shower and bed, I'm totally shattered!!!

• Options

Whoop wooop! Well done Amy! Your time is almost identical to Anneka- did you two meet up/see each other? 

• Options

Thanks for the advice BRB, I really should heed it too, I perhaps did set off a little too fast, but just like you had the conditions severely worsened as the second half of the run progressed.

Next time the aim is to go off slower and make some alterations to when I fuel with jelly and see what effect this has, hopefully this will prove fruitful. I have races for the next 2 Sundays, so I am going to attempt this strategy on Sunday 15th March and see if I can avoid the annoying hypos!

Oh and it really would be remiss of me not to say a very well done to you for a fabulous new PB in what sounds like horrific conditions!image

• Options

Thanks for the congrats Iain, the conditions really were truly horrific! 

Alteration to when you take your jelly sounds like a good idea. What races have you got coming up? 2 races in consecutive weekends sounds tough, especially now it's less than 7 weeks till Paris. Are you planning on racing them or just using them as training runs? Good luck either way and fingers crossed you find a solution to your hypo issue. 

How are you feeling today Amy? Bet you can't get that 'shiny PB' grin off your face and rightly so!!! Massive congratulation again...

• Options

Sunday 1st March Rushcliffe 10k.(this is my favourite race of the year so despite training for the marathon there was no way I was going to give it a miss, this will probably be used as a training progression run!)

Sunday 8th March Retford Half marathon (this race I'm aiming to break 1:40), I set my half marathon PB in Dec 2014 @ 1:42:53 at a hilly half, Retford is flatter so it offers a great opportunity and with all the longer runs I've been doing it should be a good chance.

I hope you still have a PB smile on your face too.....image

• Options
    That's brilliant result. Well done.

My run yesterday was the club's long run in two groups. The first group was 6miles at 8:00am then the second group 10miles at 9:00am.

I've just uploaded my watch data and found we were doing sub 9:00/mi for the first 6miles. The 10miles didn't feel too bad. Have Berkhamstead half this coming Sunday. Still not sure of my strategy. Think it'll be another first half at Marathon pace and then see what happens.
  • Options

It really is a well done to all post!!

Amy - Fantastic!

I will re-do your carb load with less fluid and tweak it a little. If you keep a record of what you did you could you post it? Don't like the fact I have got you up to pee in the night so perhaps we need to reduce fluid towards evening anyway?

Congratulations again Amy; Steve's plan is working wonders for you! 

Iain Hickman - what was your reading before you ran and exactly what was your fuelling strategy? That run is going to take it out of you and recovery will very likely  take much longer and this may show in post run readings for next 24 hours? Do you go and get regular bloods to show your average blood sugars? could try and  figure out a better fuelling plan for these longer runs as this cant be good for your control - happy to help with some suggestions?

• Options

Ruth please check your inbox I have messaged you with all the info you asked for above rather than including it on this thread.

• Options

Hey Amy, check out your predicted race time based on yesterday

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html

3:27:20 image  You'll be running around with Tim!

• Options
    BRB Brighton was like that one year, we still go back! We were so lucky yesterday - my brother did an out & back 10K in Ireland in which the first half took almost 23 mins & the 2nd 19, I say that's the right way round at least, and be thankful the wind didn't change.

Have been to the physio this morning and have even more challenging routines to pursue.

Iain I liked what Coach Steve said.
  • Options

Wow!!! Congrats Amy!!!! What an amazing PB!!! You must be thrilled!!!! and your fastest mile being the strongest one. Very well done!!! Surely you must have had a great day meeting part of the team and people from RW. Your training day 2 is this weekend, right?

I ran 15 miles yesterday, getting stronger but still long way to go. I am in a similar situation as reikirabbit I think, as my PB for HM is 1:58 so my race time predicts 4:06 min. I have a HM in three weeks so let's see. Yesterday I ran from Regent's Park to Battersea and way back, so many nice memories to see Battersea's track again!

Hope you have a good recovery!

• Options
    Ruth! Meant to say that I did the mini carb load - got to 491g on Saturday, and I really think it made a difference.

I'd have had a bigger amount than usual the day before in the past but wouldn't have added in between meals.

Might do this again before Finchley 20 week after next.
  • Options

Evening All. What a happy forum this has been over the last 24hours! I Love it! Thank you so much for all the congrats ans support and well done comments. So heres what went down....

So my day full of carbs on Saturday looked like this:

07:30-08:00 - 50g Fruit and Fibre with 150ml skimmed milk, 1x crumpet with 1tsp honey with half a small sliced banana on, 250ml skimmed milk to drink (90g)

11:00 - Other half of the small banana, 1x slice malt loaf, 10g marsh mellows (35g)

13:30 - 1/2 a wholemeal pitta with sliced chicken and pease pudding, 150g low fat fruit yogurt, 1x slice malt loaf (60g)

16.45 - 250ml smoothie, 1/2 wholemeal pitta with tuna, 1tbsp sweetcorn, low fat mayo and rocket (49g)

18:30 - 150g dried weight spaghetti with artichokes, prawns, olive oil (as made by Mrs Ant McNeill, was very delicious, and I am estimating 150g dried weight based on the cooked portion that I was served), 125g pot fruit yogurt, 1x yogurt fruit cereal bar finger (139g)

21:30: 200ml skimmed milk (10g)

22:30: 50g granola eaten dry, 8x chocolate coins (64g)

I also managed 200ml of he fruit juice (cranberry and raspberry) and ~50-100ml water over the hours of 10:00-14:30 (24g). I was on a bus during this period and was therefore very conscious of not wanting to pee during this time frame! I hate public toilets but transport toliets take things to a new level!

So total carb intake for the day of.....569g! Target smashed! Now that deserves a congrats Ruth McKean 2!! Haha! I am getting used to the fluid so don't worry. I haven't got up for the past few nights now. I am doing better at trying to have an extra drink at work. I have been having a low cal hot choc drink (white or peanut butter flavours mmm) on some nights to encourage me to have the evening drinks.

I do admit that I felt quite sluggish on waking Sunday morning after all those carbs. And I felt a bit dirty on the inside for not having any real veg across the day, as I am used to having 4 or 5 portions a day of veg.

On the morning of the run I had a portion of porridge with half a small banana mashed in and a tsp of Mrs Ant McNeill's homemade plum jam, and a hot drink 50:50 skimmed milk and water. I did not take anything during the run. I took my Shot Bloks with me but in all honesty I felt that I would have been sick if I had eaten them so decided against it. I did not take any fluid on during the run either. I grabbed a bottle of water at the 10mile station but litterally wet my mouth and threw the rest away.

Overall my splits were:

1) 7:23

2) 7:32

3) 7:40

4) 7:33

5) 7:46

6) 7:41

7) 7:35

8) 7:49

9) 7:40

10) 7:47

11) 7:41

12) 7:36

13) 7:08

0.1mile) 0:33

I had awful pins and needles in my right leg starting in toes spreading through my whole foot and then up my leg right rotating round right up to the top of my quad, it started about mile 3 and lasted through to about mile 8, then easing slightly at about mile 9, it was so bad I actually contemplated stopping a couple of times. I must have looked very odd at some points as I repeatidly beat my quad with my right hand and swung my leg through with each stride as if I was trying to kick an imaginary ball! I don't know what caused it to start or what caused it ease.

Anyway overall, I am exstatic with 1:39:27. When I got to the last mile and realised that I could make the 1:40 to get my PB I was like chuff that, if I can get 1:40 then I want sub 1:40! hence the faster last mile. It really took its toll on me though cause yes, I crossed the line and vommed, nice. I was about 50m from the line and started to feel myself chugging and think that sped me up too so that I could cross the line bef

• Options

Part 2...

It really took its toll on me though cause yes, I crossed the line and vommed, nice. I was about 50m from the line and started to feel myself chugging and think that sped me up too so that I could cross the line before it happened! It wasn't much anyway, quite pathetic really, and I felt great again afterwards!

I really didn't expect to get a PB. I really do owe you Steve Marathon Coach, you have developed a great plan for me (you are absolutely right Iain Hickman 2), and your support has been amazing. I am pleased that you were there on Sunday to see me cross the line. And congrats on your great time.

I didn't do anything to celebrate that last night Buxton Running Bunny as I had to get a train vback to Shef for work this morning so I got back at about 9:30, made my pack up and went to bed. I did however celebrate with the Ant McNeill family afterwards with a meal at a lovely little place back in Kingston, which was great. I haven't stopped smiling though no imageimageimage  I certainly hope that you celebrate after a cracking PB in vile conditions in Blackpool! You really are in top form right now, smashing every PB in sight, that klaxon well and truely belongs to you throughout this Asics campaign image

Iain Hickman 2, it sounds like you had a severe hypo. Do you tell people when and where you are going for a run? And carry ID? I agree with Steve Marathon Coach that holding back and pacing might be a good route to try. What are your glucose levels before you leave for your run? How would you fair if you set off with higher levels? And if you know that you tend to go hypo arounf the 17-18mile mark could you not anticipate this and take on board some sugar before this happens, say around mile 14, 15 or 16? Do you reduce your insulin before running also? Good luck in Retford, go get that PB!

Reikirabbit I like your talk about it being counterintutive not to bank time. This is something that I have learnt for sure from this training. After the first mile yesterday (man was it only yesterday?! It feels like it was a week ago!), I realised that I was above target pace and pulled back and then again for the third mile, this is not something that I would have done before. Well done for your run too, very confidence boosting indeed if it had been a stroll and then you popped out a 7:45! You are certainly getting back on track nicely. Hope the new gymnastic physio routine helps. I feel ready for another MOT this weekend at Battersea with Sarah asics pro. I havent booked myself in for that massage I wanted yet either. Hmm I feel it has def been deserved now!

Peter Foster 7 keep that sub 1:40 half in mind and focus and go for it!! After your full marathon of course!! Sorry, remind me, which one are you running?

I didn't see Anneka unfortunately Angela I, what was her time? How close were we?

Good luck Tim R2-T2 in Berhamstead.

Andrea Westcott pahahahahahahahaaaa!!! Thanks for that! That is a dream I am afraid though. I will leave the sub 3:30 to SupermanRuns! One day maybe..... Sounds like you triumphed your 20 on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday, girly catch up image

Hi Isabel Abos I am indeed thrilled. Have not been suffering today either. Could feel it in my quads but nothing bad. It is indeed training day 2 this wekeend, yey! I am pleased to hear you feel you are getting stronger, this is a great sign. Battersea park will hold some great memories for me too from now on image Keep us update

• Options

Part 3....(sorry I have blabbed!)

...Battersea park will hold some great memories for me too from now on image Keep us updated on how you are progressing won't you.

So tomorrow morning is a nice easy 5mile, which I am pleased about. Although I don't feel like I am suffering from yesterday, I don't feel I would manage a speed endurance run too well. So I think I will do the core class again and then go for a 5mile stead outside afterwards, perfect image

• Options
    Well done pocket rocket you are absolutely flying at the moment, awesome PB and well deserved for all the hard work so far image
  • Options

Baldrunnerman hey Matt!! Great to see you on here again. For those of you that don't know, Baldrunnerman is a great guy and a great runner, he is an Asics bootcamper too, and the reason I am in this position, he helped me set up my account so I could access the forum, cheers Matt, still owe you.

So, here is a little soemthing new to my thread curtosy of the teachings of Ant McNeill at the weekend...

My Saturday's food...

/members/images/859931/Gallery/Carb_loading_0.JPG

Ok, so I didn't take this one but I like it, it's the start of the Brighton half...

/members/images/859931/Gallery/Brighton_half_start_1.JPG

Here is two fifths of the #Asics262 team, myself and Ant McNeill about 30 mins before we set off...

/members/images/859931/Gallery/2_fifths_of_the_Asics_team_0.JPG

And I found this...how appropriate for this weekend!!!! imageimageimage

/members/images/859931/Gallery/Appropriate_for_the_weekend.JPG

Haha! There is also a pic of Ant McNeill and I and the Humphries (the camels in London zoo that back onto Regents park! we had to ask a guy to take the pic for us making sure that he got the camels in the background...he def thought we were a bit nuts!) but it is too large to upload and I can't work out how to make it smaller sorry image

And also, Ant McNeill

showed me this amazing app Garmin Connect that links to your watch so you can look at the break downs, elevations, routes etc of your runs, but I can't work out how to upload that either.... I can post the link I think, but not the picture....will work on that!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/703181598

• Options
    That's an incredibly flat course and your cadence is absolutely dead on for the whole run!

I use both Garmin connect and Mapmyrun. I've synced them together so my Garmin uploads automatically transfer to Mapmyrun.
  • Options

Well done Amy and what a great story above that was a very enjoyable read.

Thanks for the advice I will make sure that the next really long run (15th March) that I start out at a more conservative pace (but looking at my activity https://connect.garmin.com/activity/703453269 the pacing was great up to the hypo fiasco. So Clearly I'm not taking on enough sugar earlier in the run this catches up with me later and on Sunday I never got it back to an acceptable level and the struggle continued for the rest of the run.

I do now anticipate this problem will arise, however, despite some changes I made this Sunday compared to last time I didn't do it well enough. I do let people know where I'm going, I run with my phone and ID, I have the relevant medical details tattooed on my right arm at the wrist.

There is a steely determination to put this right on 15th March, but before then I want to nail that PB @ Retford, by following your advice KEEP CALM AND BEAT MY PERSONAL BEST!

• Options
    Great report Amy! You nailed the carbs too!

As you know I havent even got my head round putting your names in bold never mind adding photos, which is probably just as well.

Didn't realise it was at Brighton that Coach Steve got his great half time.

Have a fab training day this wekeend, it's non stop but in a good way.