Options

Sub 4 Amy: #asics262

Comments

• Options

Amy

It is this time in the training that you will get tired and I know you feel your day to day eating is good (and it is) but makes sure you are eating enough on these higher mileage weeks as can always cut back in the taper weeks and get sufficient sleep. Keep the iron rich foods high in diet also.

Great report and keep training  that gut over  these last couple of weeks on longer runs with in race strategy practice!

• Options

Iain Hickman 2 - just wanted to say well done with your PB and keep going!! Ignore the sniping at home about the running, you know how much good it is doing you

Well done everyone on here with your efforts over the weekend. Amy that training session sounds brilliant, you're so on track.

• Options

I think though Amy was strong - not sure that it was 7:10?

Iain - well done but think i will need to block you for a while to get my own back.

• Options

I only did just over a mile with Amy at the end and think it was more 7:50. Even Tom didn't do a 7:10 for his last mile and he picked it up and was pleased with it.

• Options

Yay!!! Congratulations Iain, I knew you'd smash that 10K PB!!! Fantastic time too, the klaxon is well and truly blowing for you... image Glad you've managed to sort out your issue with accidentally blocking Steve!

Well done to Snafflepants too, sounds like you've not had an easy time of it recently, I hope your Dad continues to get better day by day.

Great write up of training day 2 Amy! Sounds like you've had a fabulous day. Great 20 mile run too; it must be so encouraging for you I'm sure that you've got the speed and endurance now, woo hoo!!! That sub4 in Paris is gonna be yours I'm certain of it...

I did my 10 mile LSR before my night shift yesterday afternoon evening and way really pleased with how it went. The plan said 20 mile slow in 3hr 20 mins (10min/mile approx). I finished in 3:15.33 so average place of 9:46 min/mile. My splits were pretty even too given it wasn't a flat route with my last mile as the second fastest. My legs were starting to feel tired by about mile 17 but my pace didn't drop off so I'm pleased with how it went and how I felt. Thankfully my night shift wasn't too busy so I was able to take the advise of a friend and walk about, rest and repeat so I didn't stiffen up. My legs feel good today too, no DOMS so I'm feeling fine for tomorrow's run.

Question for Steve Marathon Coach please: the plan for tomorrow says 5M of relaxed fartlek. I've done plenty of fartlek runs in the past but they've never had any structure to them. I've noticed that when Amy has had a fartlek run they've been slightly more structured so I was wondering if you could give me any advise about how to approach mine? What sort of paces should I be aiming for? How long should my increases in speed be? Many thanks...

• Options

Hello All. Sorry for not really replying properly last night. I would like to correct myself, it was definitely not running 7:10 for my last mile whoops! It was 7:50 as Steve Marathon Coach correctly points out. And was it only just over a mile that we ran together Steve? I thought it was more like over 2, I guess it felt like that at the end of 18miles prior to it haha! Overall my miles were broken down as 8:46, 8:53, 8:37, 8:32, 8:49, 8:50, 8:54, 8:57, 9:01, 8:43, 8:54, 8:46, 8:56, 9:01, 9:03, 8:47, 8:23, 8:10, 8:09, 7:50.

I did a short 4mile recovery run on the Sunday around a few parks where my sister lives too in 36:26 averaging 9:04min miles.

Very interesting to hear your estimated recovery times post race distances Steve Marathon Coach. You don't run a race and think that it will take that long, you kind of just think about being knocked back for a day or two or three at the most, I guess this is where it can become extra important to make sure you are on top of your recovery plan i.e. appropriate stretches and nutrition within that 30min window. I do struggle with that part, I tend not to eat anything for an hour afterwards, especially if I have run hard/well because I can feel a bit sicky sometimes. But then as soon as I am ready for food I am ready for it.

Buxton Running Bunny I hope you have recovered from all your night shifts and messed up sleeping, I honestly don't know how you do it. And still being able to be so speedy! Haha yes Steve had made a mistake and called me personally to apologise, what a gent. You're at Pocket Rocket already - what progression with the Yassos, whoop whoop! How did your foam rollering work out for you? I am foam rollering tonight too focusing on my anterior upper leg and quads. Oo and the first 20miler.........?! Your speed and endurance really are matching up now too. Isn't this exciting!! We should organise a run together again. Yes it is a bit of a standing joke amongst the Asics262 team now that I am an honorary McNeill haha!

When I have done my fartleks Buxton Running Bunny Steve has suggested that I run in 4, 3, 2, 1min, 30sec splits in HM, 10km, 5km, fast running paces, with 2mins recovery inbetween the slower paces and 1min or 30secs between the faster paces. Which reminds me, I have not posted this weeks plan, apologies, I will do this after this post.

Ktkt don't feel disheartened. Stay focused. I have to knock over 12mins off my marathon PB to achieve the sub 4, I am sure you will surprise myself, I know I have been surprising myself, and I think a number of people on this thread would say the same about their performances too. Finding the time can be hard though can be really hard I understand that completely, and if you are struggling to fit them in and are missing them then it will be knocking your confidence I am sure. Steve Marathon Coach gave me some wise advice at the weekend about staying focused to your aim and then building towards other aims, i.e. for me, my aim is sub 4, but then next year maybe I could look to a sub 3:45, so perhaps you could stage your aims if you are worries about the sub 3:30, i.e. try to knock off 4 of those 8mins this time round, and then the other 4 on your next marathon, assuming you want to do another one of course. To knock off those 4mins you may just need to push harder during the last 4miles for example then. Buxton Running Bunny is absolutely right though, you can run a 3:38 marathon without following a training programme....boom! I am glad you are finding the thread helpful. I am finding the same, it is so incredibly helpful to hear others views and opinions, and get the extra support from like minded people. We sound quite similar I think in some respects (I had never heard of the Yassos either, running

• Options

Part 2...

We sound quite similar I think in some respects (I had never heard of the Yassos either, running through pain, competitive with yourself), although you are a little quicker than me for sure. Its a shame we couldn't have met face to face on Saturday.

Thanks for the well wishes Isabel Abos, yes that thought has been running through my mind all weekend! I post the guys a picture of the Eurostar Departures when I was in St Pancreas on Sunday to remind them too!

Iain Hickman 2,yeah man whooo whooooo!!!! I love how much this thread is own the PB klaxon. We are all truly smashing it.And 53rd out of 715, what a result. Glad you have managed to unblock Steve, I had done the same for Buxton Running Bunny at the beginning of the campaign and I didn't know how I had done it either, and BRB had to unblock herself on my phone when we met up whoops! (Ha! Buxton Running Bunny I just giot to your post about this and me claining it was an accident, i lol'd!) It really is so good to have all the support yes. I love feeling apart of something. That family selfie of Tim's that I uploaded last night says it all to me, how happy do we all look image I understand what you mean about getting the eye roll, people who are not runners don't quite understand and everyone of my family and friends think I am nuts, except for my Mum, who is also a runner. Stick with us on this thread and Tims. I am proud to be a running freak I AM A RUNNING FREAK!!! Say it loud say it proud, everyone now.......!!! #iamarunningfreak

Hi Mc Hilly I am sure Iain appreciates your input. Are you aiming for a sub 4 marathon too?

Tim R2-T2, how did your half go? I don't know why I enter races sometimes, I just do it because I can (well this is what I was like before this campaign anyway), you do it for the enjoyment and passion and to test and push yourself. I think I have learnt though from this experience that looking at the bigger picture is so important, i.e. I now wouldn't enter things off the cuff if I had a long term goal that it wouldn't be beneficial for. So as long as you are gaining something from entering these races and it isn't detrimentally affecting your long term marathon goal then great. You can always treat them as training runs.

20:49 Ashely Woolgrove!!! Thats awesome running. Nice one. I think I feel like having a bash at a park run PB again soon, its been a while! Maybe not this weekend though as I have my biggest LSR ahead for this Sunday eek! Maybe a couple of weeks away from the marathon itself, 'some bloke' called Steve Marathon Coach thought this might be good, a bit of a confidence boost before the big dayimage haha! Good luck with Stowmarket (never heard of there, I have appalling geography!). Do keep us updated on how you are getting along image

The Maverick 21km sounds mean Peter Foster 7, but also pretty amazing. It is good that you are still happy with your performance and have thought about the bigger picture. 

Hey Cbo, nice to have you back. What a busy time you have been having. Glad to hear the the flu has passed. What was the hol? Thanks for the congrats, I am so very pleased. I will be hoping you are right about that tail wind! image

Reikirabbit I am loving the sound of your 6part run! Was that a planned thing? Was it with all the same people? I'd love to try something like that. Shame we don't live a little closer. Nice that you got run with Bramster, I think it was Bramster that started my Pocket Rocket nickname! It might have been him and another guy Ch

• Options

Part 3.....

Reikirabbit I am loving the sound of your 6part run! Was that a planned thing? Was it with all the same people? I'd love to try something like that. Shame we don't live a little closer. Nice that you got run with Bramster, I think it was Bramster that started my Pocket Rocket nickname! It might have been him and another guy Chris. Yep Twitter is great. If anyone else is on it I am @Alroach1Amy

How are you Pete Holt? Sorry I mislead you with the 7:10! Still I don't think that 7:50 was too bad!

Hey Snufflepants  I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. How is he doing now? How are you doing? I hope you have support around you. It doesn't matter of running takes a back seat, it sounds like you have higher priority issues, don't stress yourself unnecessarily. Running may give you some free time too though, which is important. Time to clear you head. Just enjoy running for now.

Hi Ruth McKean 2 we missed you on Saturday. Will we see you in Paris? I am getting tired indeed. I am not always having a mid morning snack I am afraid, but I am doing everything else that you have suggested I think, including the practicing of your strategy plan for race day. Actually, I wanted to ask you about this....how would you feel about me not using caffeine containing Shot Bloks until the day? My thinking being that it's effect will be more prominent on the day if I do this? In terms of day to day, my portion sizes have certainly increased. I am getting plenty of non-animal based sources of iron in my diet, which is quite usual for me. I am afraid that I will never be able to eat liver (gip), but I have had red meat more than I would usually, including after the 20mile on Saturday at Battersea I had a big ol' beef burger in a wholemeal bun with beef steak tomato, mushrooms, a spinach and rocket side salad, and a few wedges. Also, after reading on your recommendations, the beetroot juice article, I took a Beet It Sport Shot about 90mins before the run on Saturday. I was telling a colleague at work about it and she stole one from her husbands stash (he is into endurance cycling) and brought me one to trial so I did. It was I have to say completely disgusting, but I did knock it back and ran well. And thankfully it comes with a warning on the bottle (Quote "Be aware: Beet It Shots may turn urine pink")!

• Options

So, here is this weeks plan:

Mon Mar 2 - Sun Mar 8 (50M)

Mon rest - done image

Tue 10 x 800m reps with 2 min recoveries (8M)

Wed 120 mins slow (14M)

Thu Speed endurance session: out and back run (8M) - 4 miles easy - 4 miles at HM pace or faster

Fri rest

Sat steady 40 mins or parkrun (5M)

Sun approx 3 hour run (20M)

Steve Marathon Coach - I have missed my longest run of 22miles because of training day 2...when would you like me to take the beast on instead?! This weekend?

• Options

Amy yes I think you can 22 miles this weekend if you can hold back but drop the Wednesday run to 12 and don't do a fast parkrun this Saturday but no problem if you want to run marathon pace.

I do think you should try the shot bloks on the 22 though and shouldn't leave it to Paris.

• Options
    Thanks Amy for the reminder about what you did for the fartlek runs. I'll follow your advice and do the 4,3,2,1,30secs with increasing pace and suggested recoveries. It'll be nice to have some structure to a fartlek session for a change as I always end up just doing random things which I'm never sure are beneficial! Hope your Yasso 800s go well tomorrow, it's a great session!
  • Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Hi Amy,

7:50 is good too.image

I am fine thank you. Cut back week for me and then a half at the weekend.

• Options

Thank you Amy for your encouragement and passing on Steve's advice - you're right I need to concentrate on the small goal, might aim for 3.35 and see how it goes and try and just enjoy it. Enjoy your Yasso 800's today.

Buxton Running Bunny - I agree with Amy, I admire that you can do a 20 mile run before a night shift, well done.

• Options
    BRB The opportunity to walk around slowly for hours after a long run is the upside for sure - I didn't get any DOMs at all when I did my longest runs before a 10 or 12 hour shift. Well done, love nailing it like that.

Speaking of which I haven't decided yet which approach to adopt for the Finchley 20 on Sunday - I have 2 progression runs planned for 20s, [& 2 easy, plus another mega long dead slow], seems a shame to cash in theeasier versions when race day gies such a boost, but it's a question of managing the knee now and I don't want to miss the midweek sessions.

Amy I did actually sort of plan Saturday, because it struck me that I could get a long run of sorts in [was only scheduled to do the 10 but would have been at much better pace in past years].

So the stages were from house to parkrun, from parkrun to house to change, from house to club, warmup around park a bit, the10, home again after changing and snacks & chat.

Actually it struck me that I could get a 5 hour marathon that way no stress if I need to do that.

Have a pyramid session today or tomorrow quite similar to your fartlek. Undecided whether that's the choice or the steady for today, will know within the mile warm-up.

Would love it if I lived close enough to meet up more!

I do agree with coach Steve about trying the caffeine version once before. You'll still get maximum impact by the time Paris comes round, and you needt o know they don't affect your tum.

Will probably have a halfway blast this Sunday myself, with nonC @ 5, & 15 miles. I always look up what I did before and how that worked.
  • Options

Thanks Amy, RR and ktkt for the kind words about my 20 miler pre-night shift. It wasn't ideal, but like I said, my shift was changed (with my agreement I hasten to add!) at about 9am Sunday morning to support a colleague, so it couldn't be avoided.

You're right RR, it was beneficial to be able to walk around gently for a few hours afterwards. I can understand your dilemma re Finchley 20 this weekend; on the one hand you don't want to 'waste' a race opportunity, but you don't want to potentially aggravate your knee and end up missing other critical sessions. How about a compromise between doing it easy and a progression run and doing a 'fast finish' LSR? Maybe do the first 12-15 easy then if the knee is feeling fine, pick up the pace gradually for the last 5-8 miles? Then if the knee's feeling slightly iffy, you can stick with an easy pace without (hopefully) compromising the rest of your training.

I followed Amy's advise today for my 5M Relaxed Fartlek session and after a 0.75M warm up I did 4,3,2,1 min bursts in 8:02, 7:43, 7:27 and 6:30min/mile pace with 2,2,2,1 min recoveries. I then repeated this in 8:09, 7:52, 7:26, 6:37min/mile pace with the same recoveries. A final 0.5M cool down completed the 5M run in 46:42. I started off feeling really sluggish and my legs felt very heavy, so I really doubted I'd be able to complete the run, however after the first 4min burst I felt better. An injection of pace seemed to breath some life into my legs and I finished feeling much stronger than I started.

It's my regular club run tomorrow evening then another 7M progression run on Thursday; I'm looking forward to that one again! On Saturday I'm doing something potentially a bit crazy: I'm doing a 21+mile off-road race called the 'Grindleford Gallop'. I did it last year and hated it so why I'm doing it again I really don't know! I think it's kinda like unfinished business; when I did it last year I wasn't having a 'good running day' and felt very negative for a lot of the time so I'd like to do it again to feel better about it? It's a lovely circular route taking in local moorland, fells, trails and the Chatsworth estate with 2500ft of elevation so I won't be racing it, just taking it easy and trying to enjoy it this time. Well that's the plan anyway... image

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Sounds great. I'm doing the 18mile LDWA Chiltern Kanter on Sunday. Sounds like a similar type of thing. I'm expecting mud, hills and my map reading skills to be tested.
  • Options

Hi Amy, very well done on training day 2 and how great it is to have Sarah after the LSR!! I also took a sports massage before the marathon and it did wonders. Victor's advice is really valuable and I am also applying his theory of managing expectations to my training. I understand your concern but if anything happens on the day, you will not have failed to us at all!!!! You are doing so well since day one and I am really enjoying seeing your progress. In my opinion, a consistent and focused marathon training is much more difficult than then marathon itself and you are already doing so well here, sharing with us your progress and motivating us all.

I am slowly progressing, today I have a quite challenging run with very fast paces so I am looking forward to it. I have a question for Steve. I have a 18 miler scheduled for this weekend but I am traveling to Middle East for work, so I will be flying on the Saturday and working on the Sunday. I am not sure if I can run 18 miles on the treadmill and I am not familiar with Abu Dhabi enough to run 18 miles. My other option is to run the 18 miles at night on Friday in London from around 8 pm but I have never done a long night run. What should I do? Should I run on Friday night or add more miles to this week's training? Thank you image

• Options
    BRB one of my options is to do 3 laps easy, pick it up in the 4th & last, I do enjoy the opportunity to pick up each lap at Finchley though. Very consistent by you this morning, nice one.

I managed what was effectively a 10k in an hour, so slow to get going but by mile 4 was coming through.

I've heard of the GG, and hope you enjoy it - I do get the redemption imperative, I was like that with the Benfleet 15, kept putting myself through it.

Isabel I like your point about pressure. Amy it's important to recognize that it's all coming from you, not from us. Great to have motivation and impetus, but if it was one of us in your position you'd be much less harsh than you are on yourself, and probably having less doubts about our performance, whereas you are in the driving seat of your own experience, not of ours.

I probably would do the 18 on a treadmill rather than late at night Isabel, but then there's jetlag and whether you'll have time to do the run on your trip.

If you were coming home in a couple of days I might not stray too far from UK time and get the run in upon your return, treaddies not being ideal as we know.
  • Options

good session BRB

Isabel - not sure it's worth risking a run on Friday night in the dark - I would be tempted to do just maybe a short run Friday and presuming you can't find a safe circuit in Abu Dhabi wait until you get back.  -

a few days off won't do you any harm and maybe would be best to do the run Monday or Tuesday?

• Options

Hello hello.

Thanks for the advice Steve Marathon Coach, I will drop to 12 tomorrow morning then and do a gentle park run only on Saturday. I think I will be running with a friend so I will stick to her pace (Reikirabbit it will be Katie if I can convince her!). I have been having the Shot Bloks every week on the long runs Steve, I just haven't had the caffeine ones every week so was thinking of leaving these til the day......???? I have tried them on a few of the long runs and they have been tolerated.......?? Maybe a bad idea.....??? I see your point Reikirabbit, and as I am not the best at tolerating things while running maybe I should just make sure I have some caffeinated ones every week. Will the effect of the caffeine still be as strong?

I was also wondering Steve Marathon Coach about changing my rest day this week from Friday to Thursday and doing the Thursday session on the Friday, would this be suitable? I have to be in Leeds late tomorrow night is all and think I will appreciate the extra sleep on the Thursday morning. I can't easily change and do the run Thursday night instead of the morning so thought the Friday would be better?

Great work with the Fartlek run Buxton Running Bunny, I have found them quite hard, mainly because I have not trained like this before and there is a lot to think about at such an early time in the morning haha! I love the term "injection of pace", will be sure to use that at some point! You do like the progression runs don't you. I think that is a sign of how you have progressed yourself and developed confidence in your own ability. As is doing a race again that you have previously hated. You clearly want to challenge yourself again and prove something to yourself grrrrrrrrrrr!! The route sounds lovely. Perhaps when this training is over we could do some similar runs together? I am sure your colleague was very appreciative of you changing at such short notice, make sure bank that and pull a favour back when needed!

Pete Holt, enjoy the cut back week. I am actually dreading the thought of tapering as it is beginning to loom closer. I have really enjoyed my training and been quite pleased with myself at the mileage I have covered as when I first looked at the programme I wondered how the heck I was going to fit it all in, but I have done and I am sad at the thought of reducing it now! Steve Marathon Coach will I be able to pick up some alternative training when I get to this point? Not to jump the gun or anything! Good luck with the half Pete Holt.

Steve's advice is always great ktkt. 3:35 sounds like a good aim image

Great point reikirabbit about keeping moving after a long run. I try to do this too be it go for a walk into town or even do a bit of cleaning around the flat etc. I feel it keeps things a bit looser. Glad its not just in my head! How is your knee? I agree it seems a shame to do a slower run in a race scenario, but you shouldn't push it. If your knee is bad then take the easier option, or maybe even weigh up if it is worth doing the run at all if it is really bad...? Not a nice thought I know. One of my friends that will be doing the Tough Mudder with me has a bad back at the minute and shes gagging to come running and go to gym classes but she is abstaining for the minute to maximise her recovery so that she can hopefully still do the Tough Mudder. So frustrating though. Perhaps Buxton Running Bunnys compromise is a good idea. I literally LOVE the sound of your one thing to the next day on Saturday. None of my friends would really be down with that though! I do understand that it is coming from me and not you guys, I just feel that you guys have provide

• Options

Part 2....

.... I literally LOVE the sound of your one thing to the next day on Saturday. None of my friends would really be down with that though! I do understand that it is coming from me and not you guys, I just feel that you guys have provided so much support for me that I want to be able to show you that it has been worthwhile. And like Isabel Abos noted, the whole training until the day is certainly an achievement.

Good luck with your run on Sunday Tim R2-T2, mainly good luck with the map reading, I'd be terrible! Send out the search party!

Pleased to hear that the sports massage served you well Isabel Abos, how close to the run did you have one? Sarah asics pro team suggested I go in a couple of weeks, which I will do, but what about one closer to the event too? Say the week of the event? I take your point about the training in effect being more than the actual race itself! It does indeed sound like Victors advice has been well retained and of use to you, you seem very mentally composed and think things through logically. Oo Abu Dhabi for work! What do you do? I don't much like the idea of 18miles on a treadmill image Hope you have a good box set you can put on!

So, my run this morning, early alarm at 4:30 image then up and out for 10x Yasso 800s. Steve Marathon Coach suggested that I should aim for 3:50s and styart each 800 on the 6minute mark. I therefore did a 1km warm up and my 800 splits were as follows:

1) 3:15

2) 3:37

3) 3:31

4) 3:28

5) 3:27

6) 3:37

7) 3:41

8) 3:34

9) 3:54 - this 800 was undulating

10) 3:52

Total run distance was 13.01km in 1:04:11.I set off far too quick so then slowed the pace. The penultimate 800 was undulating, which is why I think the pace dropped a lot. As for the last 800 I was really disappointed with the time. It felt like I was running harder than the other 800s, so I actually thought I was going to come in as my fastest rep (excluding the first 800). I know it was the last rep and therefore fatigue was likely to have played a part but on reflection following a discussion with a friend at work about this I wonder if it was related to a reduced recovery time. As I was leaving on every 6minute time frame I was having about 2:20min recoveries between all the other laps, but because the penultimate rep took me longer I had only 2:06min recovery.....? Maybe?

• Options

well done on the session Amy - doing it at that time of the morning must be worth 10 seconds at least.

I did say try and run the first one gently and ease into it so a 3:15 wasn't what I envisaged - I was thinking more 3:45-3:55!!!

You need to check early on in reps and in races what pace you are running and adjust accordingly.

However, you averaged 3:36 which is very good.

The last one wouldn't have thought it was the slightly less recovery on the previous one but more a build of fatigue over the 10 and the fact the 9th one was undulating and might have taken more out of you.

It might be boring but asa proper comparison point I think it's best to do all the reps on the same stretch of road or at least alternate ones so you go back to the starting point second and fourth etc.

Sometimes the Garmin's do have the odd hiccup and if you use the same stretch, then you can do your reps by a set marked point than have to totally rely on the Garmin signal.

You should normally be able to pick up a little bit on the last one but if you recall at Battersea you picked up a lot. That was less reps, on the track and you had plenty of company and you paced it better, so not a fair comparison.

Anyway, it was still an excellent session but could have been even better with a slower first one and faster last one or two.

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Hi Amy, many of my runs are run at 5:00am welcome to the club image

great times again based on your 4:00min target (based on a sub 4 marathon) and also factoring your recovery times too, which are quite brief really. you should be happy with yourself - well done.

three week tapers are tough your mind will tell you that you are tired and have not trained enough. And after the marathon I just wait to start it all over again  image

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Amy, the map reading will be easy, it's the hills and mud that'll be a tester. It'll probably be the equivalent of over 20 road miles.

I ran Beekamsted half on Sunday. I ran on heart rate at marathon effort and ran a comfortable 1:53:57, which included a. Very fast downhill 7:04mile at the end!

Steve, how do you determine the rest period between the Yassoo 800s? I read it was the same as the 800m time.
  • Options

Well done on the half Tim R2-T2.

Well done to Amy and BRB on your two sessions. Sounds like you are loving the speed and alternate pace sessions. I too have come to enjoy the progression sessions (that is until you go too fast in the middle of the session and can't continue to progress).

Gearing up for my half marathon this Sunday, but taking it easy as I guess it's normal but I have twinges here and there, the current one is my left hamstring, last week it was my left ankle during marathon training.

Also conscious that although a half marathon at this stage should feel easier than they have done in the past one must remember that I am going to try and run it faster than I've ever done before.

• Options
    Tim I got lost in a XC once - went into an extra field with cows in it!

Quite fancy a go at Yassos now, but will stick with the 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 efforts and see how it compares with last time.

Amy I'd try the caffeinated blocs during one of your 20s, no need for all of them I reckon.
  • Options

Tim

When we did our 800m reps last night we did them  starting every 5 minutes as the average runner was probably 3-3:30 and I like to keep the group together.

If the faster runners were doing 1000s, then the less fast would do 600s but for 800s, I wanted most to do it and think it is feasible to even do them off a minute recovery and still get a equitable marathon time,

I had two minutes recovery myself but agree it was hard for those running 3:45 in the group and think most took a rest of one rep.

I personally think the same amount of time as the rep is far too much and two minutes is about right, maybe three if you are doing over four minutes running.

Everyone in the group I think ran faster than their goal marathon pace and if they had an extra minute they would have run an even more unrealistic marathon time.

• Options

Hi Amy, I really admire your will power to wake up that early and train hard. Same goes for Pete Holt. Sometimes I have to run at 6 am and I have to set three alarms! And especially with this cold weather, you deserve a pat in the back image Very well done on the Yassos!!!

Regarding sports massage, I took one ten days before the marathon. I wasn't actually planning to take one because my legs were ok and I heard at training day 2 that it is ok to take a massage but not very close to the race. But the days before the marathon my legs were quite heavy so I decided to take one. I asked the masseuse to go gently on my legs and I felt really good after taking it. My legs were still a bit heavy but not as much as before and my overall feeling was much better, especially my back and arms.

I agree with Pete that the taper is tough because you have more time to think as you are training less and you feel like there is something missing! I struggled a bit with the taper, especially during the second and third weeks. Many thoughts will cross your mind, like you may lose your fitness, but I can confirm it's all psychological and you don't have to worry at all and it's for the best! And you will get more sleep image

Thank you Steve, I will do a short run on Friday then and try to pick up on Monday or Tuesday. I have the Monaco Run (15 miles) on the next weekend and I am very excited about that!!!

• Options

Hi Amy, I hope you don't mind if I borrow your thread to ask Steve Marathon Coach a quick question?

Steve, on your thread you suggested that my last run on 22nd March before tapering for the Manchester Marathon on 19th April should be 22 miles.  How many (if any) miles should be at MP?  I am aiming for a time of 4:30. Many thanks.

• Options
    I don't think its a good idea to mix very long And quite fast on same run So I would suggest keeping it all slower than Marathon pace and focus on feeling good and on the distance and perhaps put some marathon pace into the shorter run the week after or even week before - 10k in second half may be enough and I think it is best not to be all at the very end of the run so you can finish with a couple of easy miles.